Post-Game Talk: Devil VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
We don't need a rebuild, that's a tad bit of an overreaction.

One change will change the course of the next 3 seasons:

Chris Drury needs to pull a Tampa/McDonagh on Panarin:

Waive your NMC and work with us, or we will waive you and the lowest team can pick you first.

3 years left on Panarins contract will all be wasted seasons. Cannot win with 11.6 million in useless cap come playoff time. That's 2 contributing top 6 forwards @ 5 million plus nearly 2 million for another move.

Unfortunately they can’t waive him with an NMC. Best bet is a demotion off PP1 and to the 3rd line next year if he doesn’t work with them on a trade.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They didn’t play Chytil and Kakko enough all season. Lafreniere I can take or leave but he’s most likely sticking around due to his contract. Might as well see if a 21 year old has untapped potential with a bigger role. We have seen this veteran core is not good enough even with massive deadline moves. What was Kreider as a 21 year old?
And if this is what they are, then we're back in the lottery.

Are you comfortable with that after you thought this team was a contender?

More importantly, are you comfortable with the same people making and developing that lottery pick?

If you really believe the kids have potential, then you have to, to some extent, believe the organization can't handle this sort of thing, because they're not showing it.

nyrob13

Jun 21, 2015
Final Round 1 Tally (Points)
Brett Howden - 4 points
Ian Cole - 3 points
MacKenzie MacEachern (29 year old with 19 career points, inserted into CAR lineup in Game 4 having not played since April 8, 2022) - 2 points
Artemi Panarin (3rd highest cap hit in the NHL) - 2 points
Linus Ullmark (a goalie) - 1 point
Sergei Bobrovsky (a goalie) - 1 point

KevinFinnerty

I bomb atomically...
Mar 7, 2020
St.Augustine
I wouldn't mind Trotz. Coach Q is a shit human being. Don't want my team associated with rape. Want a Coach who would teach a real system, and up-tempo play. Laviolette is available, he's underrated.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Final Round 1 Tally (Points)
Brett Howden - 4 points
Ian Cole - 3 points
MacKenzie MacEachern (29 year old with 19 career points, inserted into CAR lineup in Game 4 having not played since April 8, 2022) - 2 points
Artemi Panarin (3rd highest cap hit in the NHL) - 2 points
Linus Ullmark (a goalie) - 1 point
Sergei Bobrovsky (a goalie) - 1 point
Pionk had 7 points

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
We don't need a rebuild, that's a tad bit of an overreaction.

One change will change the course of the next 3 seasons:

Chris Drury needs to pull a Tampa/McDonagh on Panarin:

Waive your NMC and work with us, or we will waive you and the lowest team can pick you first.

3 years left on Panarins contract will all be wasted seasons. Cannot win with 11.6 million in useless cap come playoff time. That's 2 contributing top 6 forwards @ 5 million plus nearly 2 million for another move.
This is the only move necessary. Kane and Tarasenko walk. If Kane loves NY so much he can get his hip surgery and sign for league minimum like Spezza/Gio did in Toronto.

Panarin goes, you fill his spot and another top 6 spot with the cap space his departure gives you.

Kreider-Zibanejad-XXX
Lafreniere-Chytil-Kakko
Othmann-Trocheck-XXX
Cuylle-Goodrow-Vesey
XXX

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Trouba
Jones-Schneider
Harpur

Shesterkin
Halak

Jones gives us a much needed puck mover aside from Fox. Without Panarin, we have an extra 11.6 to play with to fill 1RW, 3RW and 13F. If Kane really wants NY or bust, he gets league minimum and is 3RW. Can fill 1RW with signing/trade.

Unfortunately they can’t waive him with an NMC. Best bet is a demotion off PP1 and to the 3rd line next year if he doesn’t work with them on a trade.
Didn't McDonagh has a NMC and Tampa threatened to waive him?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Moving any of the kids would be the dumbest move you could make.

You trade the dead weight vets.... AND WE HAVE A LOT OF THEM
Yep. I just don't understand the rationale of wanting to trade anyone under 25. Trade Lafreniere? for what a 2nd rounder? People really think we should do that? Trade K'Andre Miller a 23 year old dman?

Reactions: duhmetreE

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
And if this is what they are, then we're back in the lottery.

Are you comfortable with that after you thought this team was a contender?

More importantly, are you comfortable with the same people making and developing that lottery pick?

If you really believe the kids have potential, then you have to, to some extent, believe the organization can't handle this sort of thing, because they're not showing it.

I’m comfortable with the moves Drury made at the deadline the past 2 years to augment a team he inherited. The players failed on the ice. Tip your hat to the Devils, they mucked it up and won the series the hard way while we didn’t adjust. Hopefully now Drury gives the homegrown guys bigger roles because it’s the next step in the progression of the team. If we take slight steps back the next season or 2 while we hand the reigns to the young guys, so be it. We wouldn’t be the first team to do that

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Moving any of the kids would be the dumbest move you could make.

You trade the dead weight vets.... AND WE HAVE A LOT OF THEM

Free up 20M with moving Trouba and Panarin. Try to get what you can.
Goodrow, I don't hate him, but another concrete boot of a contract

Reactions: duhmetreE

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If we change the coach and nothing else, it won't be long before he says "man, this team sucks" and goes the AV route of trying to score 6 goals on 7 shots but we're 36th in corsi, goes the Gallant route of playing quaalude ass hockey and getting shut out every other night, or goes the Quinn route of doing either of those depending on how he feels that week.

He'll also be the third straight coach to give Lafreniere and Kakko a look and go "welp, this ain't it."

I would love for it to be as simple as a coach coming in a changing the culture but I just don't believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad