Confirmed with Link: Clendening traded for Gustav Forsling

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
As a Canucks fan, my understanding of Forsling is that he's a lot like Clendening at an earlier age.

-strengths are in moving the puck, quarterbacking the power play and he has an excellent shot
-weak on defence
-small for a pro defenceman (was listed at 5'11-175)
-needs to work on physical strength
-skating is "good"

At the world juniors he was on Sweden's 1st pp unit, where he had a spectacular tournament. At 5 on 5, he was on Sweden's 3rd defensive pairing and was very ordinary.

His ice time on his Swedish team has been declining as the season went on according to the weekly prospect reports at canucksarmy.com.

It seems likely to me he's a few years away from the NHL but has considerable upside potential. That seems a lot like the reports on Clendening when he was drafted, with perhaps Forsling's strengths (and maybe his weaknesses) being more pronounced at that early age.

As for Clendening, he's just finished his 3rd game with the Canucks this evening. In those 3 games he's gotten a fair bit of power play time (the Canucks haven't scored on the power play in what seems like years now) and has mostly played on a 3rd defence pairing. The last 2 games his even strength defence partner has mostly been Ryan Stanton, with whom he'd partnered for Rockford in 2012-13. Overall he's averaged 18:24 time on ice including his power play time, with 1 assist, he's + 2 (while the Canucks as a team during that time are -3), has 4 shots, 1 hit, 3 giveaways, no takeaways. The Canucks have lost 2 of those 3 games and as a team have given up 3 more goals 5 on 5 than they've scored, plus an empty net goal was scored against them.

2 of his 3 giveaways were early in his 1st game with the Canucks. He's been pretty sound since then.

My own opinion is the same as many posters here-the trade was mostly a time shift as the Hawks had too many defencemen to easily fit Clendening, who is waiver eligible next season, while the Canucks had a void from several years of not drafting anyone that developed into an NHL player. Canucks got an NHL ready player that wasn't going to crack the Hawks roster while the Hawks got back a younger prospect with similar strengths and weaknesses that they can keep in Sweden or Rockford for a few years without exposing him to waivers. The trade seems to fit the teams' different needs.

For a report last summer on Forsling, see http://canucksarmy.com/2014/8/18/prospect-profile-16-gustav-forsling. Obviously, Forsling's stock has risen as a result of the WJC.

Nice write-up. Thank you.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I am happy for Clendening and will miss him as he just wasn't going to get a fair shake here with studs like Rozi, Rundblad, and Erixon blocking his way...hope he makes the best of his time in Vancouver and parlays that into a nice NHL career.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I know this thread is been gone for a while but figured I'd bump it. Forsling is looking like a real nice find for us. He was 18 years old playing top 4 in the SHL, not only that but playing really well. One of the top U-20 D in all of europe this year. Playing great defense and has an elite PP shot.

http://shl.se/roster/LHC/5277

you can check some of his highlights here.

excellent breakout pass that leads to an assist.

Don't want to over-hype, but definitely a nice pick up.

Probably our next best prospect behind Pokka, but I truly believe this kid might be something. Couple years out though.

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
Love Forsling. He may not be as safe a bet as Pokka, but IMO he has the highest potential of any of our defensive prospects.

All he needs is to continue to develop his defensive game and adapt to the physicality of the NHL. Easier said then done, but still.

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
Ugh... :(

I hated this trade from Day one. You guys fleeced us.

If Forsling never plays a game in the NHL, then we didn't get 'fleeced'. At least we got 17 NHL games out of Adam, net positive or negative is for another debate.

Though I am very high on Forsling's potential and can see this looking like a very silly trade one day, I am not gonna dwell on it until the day comes he makes it onto an NHL roster, because either option at this point is quite likely.

Aestivalis

Oct 29, 2013
Clendening and Erixon are both on the Penguins' roster. I guess they're just going to outscore their opponents? Maybe they want a Rundblad too?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Haha this trade.

We traded half consumed ringpop that we found in the playground for a 2-ct diamond ring.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
As specifically happy as I am that it is the Canucks of all teams to lose on a trade with us, BWC is right. Let's wait until he actually plays some NHL games and looks good before we gloat.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
OK, understand the "temper one's enthusiasm," the kid hasn't played a game for the Hawks yet. OTOH, this is looking like a very one-sided trade, perhaps massively so.

If we had an open spot, I think the staff would be quite comfortable slotting the kid in it. He's in the top 6 next year, for sure.

And, yeah, it's even sweeter that it's the Nucks we burned. Stanley got lucky.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Hey, anything to make the find by our GM worse. I've watched this guy for almost two years now. Everyone in camp is seeing the things that have been noticed in a professional league in Sweden, our HOF coach that you love, called him "special" may wanna give Stan a little credit

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Hey, anything to make the find by our GM worse. I've watched this guy for almost two years now. Everyone in camp is seeing the things that have been noticed in a professional league in Sweden, our HOF coach that you love, called him "special" may wanna give Stan a little credit

A little credit? Pssh not for #Stanley

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
And if Forsling struggles at NHL level and is out of Chicago in a couple years?

And how can one claim that Forsling wont top out as a 5/6 when he hasn't even played an NHL game yet?

It is called being able to project players potential. It is something you clearly can't do but Stan can.:sarcasm:

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
And if Forsling struggles at NHL level and is out of Chicago in a couple years?

And how can one claim that Forsling wont top out as a 5/6 when he hasn't even played an NHL game yet?

If Forsling is a complete and utter bust he'll be no worse than the person for whom he was traded. There is nothing to criticize on this one.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Like how Stanley projected Clendening? Or how Stanley projected McNeill? Hartman?

Projected him enough to trade him for a legit top 4 prospect yes. Or how he projected Shaw,Saad, TT, Panarin, Johns, should I keep going or should I continue to show you how little you know?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad