Confirmed with Link: Clendening traded for Gustav Forsling

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Draft position means nothing, especially when a majority of players taken in the top 3 rounds are N.A. kids. .

Only 10 players +/- per year become serviceable NHLers if drafted after Round 2.

Better be spot on to find those few jewels. Hope this kid is one of them.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I wouldn;t mind either one of those. But of course, with every Leddy/Raflaski, there are countless Cam Barkers (high potential busts).

You guys may get a future Keith replacement. We may get Rafalski 2.0. When you trade prospects, you are just trading potential with maybe a slight bias towards organization needs. Won't know for years whether this is a win-win, win-lose, or lose-lose.

Really doubt Clendening and/or Forsling turn into remotely similar caliber players. I like this deal though. Clendening was going to be lost for nothing, Bowman essentially traded for more time to develop a seemingly similar player.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Who cares when Forsling got drafted? Regardless of if he was a first rounder or Mr. Irrelevent, he looks to be a promising prospect right now. He was drafted later, but early indications seem to be pointing to a higher probability of him making the NHL than others drafted around him.

He's a multi-year project, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It's actually a great thing IMO. We've already got plenty of young dmen trying to break into the lineup.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
It's actually a great thing IMO. We've already got plenty of young dmen trying to break into the lineup.

Why did we trade for Erixon and Rundblad then?

I do not like the pattern of drafting kids, fairly high, developing them and then trading them for projects/lower pick players with a lower probability of making the bigs.

GGGHawks18

Dec 16, 2011

I do not like the pattern of drafting kids, fairly high, developing them and then trading them for projects/lower pick players with a lower probability of making the bigs.

For Depth.

Our idiot GM or someone in his ear likes him and thinks they will be better than the prospects. ALL THE MORE REASON BOWSTINK NEEDS TO GO.

Stop it.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Do you believe moving Clendening will come back to hurt us? Have you seen anything more then a tiny sample of Forsling?

Genuinely curious, not trying to stir up trouble. Goes for everybody here that has a strong feeling either way about this trade.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Shaw was a 5th round pick

So were Shane Sims, Joe Lavin, Teigan Zahn (still think that's an awesome name), Yassin Cisse...

Obviously I hope this guy develops into an NHLer. But let's not kid ourselves, he's not an A list prospect. He might be great, but the odds are he never plays a regular shift in the NHL.

H a w k s*

May 18, 2012
So were Shane Sims, Joe Lavin, Teigan Zahn (still think that's an awesome name), Yassin Cisse...

Obviously I hope this guy develops into an NHLer. But let's not kid ourselves, he's not an A list prospect. He might be great, but the odds are he never plays a regular shift in the NHL.

Any those guys play pretty well in WJC? That alone tells me he's at least a decent prospect.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Do you believe moving Clendening will come back to hurt us? Have you seen anything more then a tiny sample of Forsling?

Genuinely curious, not trying to stir up trouble. Goes for everybody here that has a strong feeling either way about this trade.

A) Don't know but moving an NHL ready Dman for a 5th rounder that hasn't even played in N.A. is stupid IMO.

B) Haven't seen Forsling, but apparently those that scouted him for the draft saw less in him than Clendening.

Just remember this:

http://video.blackhawks.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=248605

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
A) Don't know but moving an NHL ready Dman for a 5th rounder that hasn't even played in N.A. is stupid IMO.

B) Haven't seen Forsling, but apparently those that scouted him for the draft saw less in him than Clendening.

Just remember this:

http://video.blackhawks.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=248605

With that logic Let's trade saad for Duncan Siemans.

You do know that Saad was considered a 1st rounder that fell due to a poor draft season due to injury that he kept quiet.

You may also know it takes Dmen longer to be NHL ready.

Very logical to compare guys who play different positions, were very near each other draft wise to the 2nd round NHL ready Clendening being traded for a 5th round pick.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
As a Canucks fan, my understanding of Forsling is that he's a lot like Clendening at an earlier age.

-strengths are in moving the puck, quarterbacking the power play and he has an excellent shot
-weak on defence
-small for a pro defenceman (was listed at 5'11-175)
-needs to work on physical strength
-skating is "good"

At the world juniors he was on Sweden's 1st pp unit, where he had a spectacular tournament. At 5 on 5, he was on Sweden's 3rd defensive pairing and was very ordinary.

His ice time on his Swedish team has been declining as the season went on according to the weekly prospect reports at canucksarmy.com.

It seems likely to me he's a few years away from the NHL but has considerable upside potential. That seems a lot like the reports on Clendening when he was drafted, with perhaps Forsling's strengths (and maybe his weaknesses) being more pronounced at that early age.

As for Clendening, he's just finished his 3rd game with the Canucks this evening. In those 3 games he's gotten a fair bit of power play time (the Canucks haven't scored on the power play in what seems like years now) and has mostly played on a 3rd defence pairing. The last 2 games his even strength defence partner has mostly been Ryan Stanton, with whom he'd partnered for Rockford in 2012-13. Overall he's averaged 18:24 time on ice including his power play time, with 1 assist, he's + 2 (while the Canucks as a team during that time are -3), has 4 shots, 1 hit, 3 giveaways, no takeaways. The Canucks have lost 2 of those 3 games and as a team have given up 3 more goals 5 on 5 than they've scored, plus an empty net goal was scored against them.

2 of his 3 giveaways were early in his 1st game with the Canucks. He's been pretty sound since then.

My own opinion is the same as many posters here-the trade was mostly a time shift as the Hawks had too many defencemen to easily fit Clendening, who is waiver eligible next season, while the Canucks had a void from several years of not drafting anyone that developed into an NHL player. Canucks got an NHL ready player that wasn't going to crack the Hawks roster while the Hawks got back a younger prospect with similar strengths and weaknesses that they can keep in Sweden or Rockford for a few years without exposing him to waivers. The trade seems to fit the teams' different needs.

For a report last summer on Forsling, see http://canucksarmy.com/2014/8/18/prospect-profile-16-gustav-forsling. Obviously, Forsling's stock has risen as a result of the WJC.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
As a Canucks fan, my understanding of Forsling is that he's a lot like Clendening at an earlier age.

-strengths are in moving the puck, quarterbacking the power play and he has an excellent shot
-weak on defence
-skating is "good"

At the world juniors he was on Sweden's 1st pp unit, where he had a spectacular tournament. At 5 on 5, he was on Sweden's 3rd defensive pairing and was very ordinary.

His ice time on his Swedish team has been declining as the season went on according to the weekly prospect reports at canucksarmy.com.

It seems likely to me he's a few years away from the NHL but has considerable upside potential. That seems a lot like the reports on Clendening when he was drafted, with perhaps Forsling's strengths (and maybe his weaknesses) being more pronounced at that early age.

As for Clendening, he's just finished his 3rd game with the Canucks this evening. In those 3 games he's gotten a fair bit of power play time (the Canucks haven't scored on the power play in what seems like years now) and has mostly played on a 3rd defence pairing. The last 2 games his even strength defence partner has mostly been Ryan Stanton, with whom he'd partnered for Rockford in 2012-13. Overall he's averaged 18:24 time on ice including his power play time, with 1 assist, he's + 2 (while the Canucks as a team during that time are -3), has 4 shots, 1 hit, 3 giveaways, no takeaways. The Canucks have lost 2 of those 3 games and as a team have given up 3 more goals 5 on 5 than they've scored, plus an empty net goal was scored against them.

2 of his 3 giveaways were early in his 1st game with the Canucks. He's been pretty sound since then.

My own opinion is the same as many posters here-the trade was mostly a time shift as the Hawks had too many defencemen to easily fit Clendening, who is waiver eligible next season, while the Canucks had a void from several years of not drafting anyone that developed into an NHL player. Canucks got an NHL ready player that wasn't going to crack the Hawks roster while the Hawks got back a younger prospect with similar strengths and weaknesses that they can keep in Sweden or Rockford for a few years without exposing him to waivers. The trade seems to fit the teams' different needs.

For a report last summer on Forsling, see http://canucksarmy.com/2014/8/18/prospect-profile-16-gustav-forsling. Obviously, Forsling's stock has risen as a result of the WJC.
I'll never not be shocked that a Western playoff team is playing our #10/11 defenseman 18:30 a night while we complain about our bottom pairing D play. Puts things in perspective.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I'll never not be shocked that a Western playoff team is playing our #10/11 defenseman 18:30 a night while we complain about our bottom pairing D play. Puts things in perspective.

It helps his ice time that Canucks top two minute-munching right hand defencemen, Bieksa and Tanev, are out with injuries.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I gave up on Rundblad six months early. Willing to wait on Erixon. Q really needs to give them a chance to grow together.

just in case as one of Rundblads backers all the time...

Have doubts about Erixon and Forsling seems to make it to the NHL. Not sure if he's going to make it as tweener bouncing from Team to Team or stick with 1-3 Teams and be a Top4 D

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
The timing of this trade is odd to me. Clendening would have made a very good trade piece to upgrade the roster, so why trade him now and trade him for a prospect? Does it save cap room for a deal later on? And if so, does this now necessitate a high draft pick being sent because you've dealt your best prospect trade chip (ignoring Teravainen)? I assume Forsling saves them cap room and they won't turn around and trade him.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
The timing of this trade is odd to me. Clendening would have made a very good trade piece to upgrade the roster, so why trade him now and trade him for a prospect? Does it save cap room for a deal later on? And if so, does this now necessitate a high draft pick being sent because you've dealt your best prospect trade chip (ignoring Teravainen)? I assume Forsling saves them cap room and they won't turn around and trade him.

Not a cap issue.

The Hawks didn't have an opening on the roster for AC. He is waiver exempt after this season. He had to go. Bowman liked the proposal (FWIW, I do too), so he traded him.

Last edited:

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013

The Hawks Hockeybuzz guy was claiming it resulted from unrelated talks the Hawks were having to possibly pick up Kassian from the Canucks.

Whatever the reason, trading Clendening for a Swedish league player like Forsling who hasn't signed an ELC yet opens up a contract slot for the Hawks if they do want to add a roster player in exchange for a pick later on.

Intense Individual

Jun 27, 2014

-weak on defence
-skating is "good"

Nicely done

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad