Confirmed with Link: Clendening traded for Gustav Forsling

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
He was pretty much our best player in the WJC, not sure where you are getting "not excited". But we did just turn a 5th round pick into a player that we need, a RH PMD that can play the PP. Maybe Forsling is that guy in 4 years.We couldnt have made this deal before the draft for a 5th.

Yeah, Van couldn't have acquired Clendening for anywhere close to a 5th rounder. Major steal of a pick.

FWIW, Clendening should be good for the Canucks. He's ready and he'll get better. As long as expectations don't get out of hand, the fanbase will be happy.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
He reminds me of a left-handed Brian Rafalski. Same type of puck carrier and has an accurate, low shot from the point that is easier to tip.

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
A better Leddy, Brian Rafalski...

Some really high praise being thrown around in here.

I wouldn;t mind either one of those. But of course, with every Leddy/Raflaski, there are countless Cam Barkers (high potential busts).

You guys may get a future Keith replacement. We may get Rafalski 2.0. When you trade prospects, you are just trading potential with maybe a slight bias towards organization needs. Won't know for years whether this is a win-win, win-lose, or lose-lose.

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Really up set at are GM benning for giving up on Forling he is one of the best young d and we steal him in the 5th round and explodes in the WJ and now hes gone just like that. U hawks fans are lucky were robbed by a in contepetent GM

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
A better Leddy, Brian Rafalski...

Some really high praise being thrown around in here.

Against that competition, he was able to play like Rafalski. If he becomes Rafalski, well, good for him. Not making a prediction about his career trajectory to be clear. He's going to be interesting to follow.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
It's good asset management to trade Clendening at this point if he's not going to be a roster player before losing his waiver exemption (which seems the case). Forsling looks like an interesting prospect. We'll see.

The Rainman

May 7, 2007
Vancouver
Really up set at are GM benning for giving up on Forling he is one of the best young d and we steal him in the 5th round and explodes in the WJ and now hes gone just like that. U hawks fans are lucky were robbed by a in contepetent GM

We needed Clendening now! Couldn't wait for 4 years down the road. Clendening is only 22 and that is still really young to be a NHL Dman. He still has a lot to learn. I like the trade for both teams. The Canucks are a team under construction right now.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
We needed Clendening now! Couldn't wait for 4 years down the road. Clendening is only 22 and that is still really young to be a NHL Dman. He still has a lot to learn. I like the trade for both teams. The Canucks are a team under construction right now.

Exactly. If there wasn't an urgent need, this deal doesn't happen.

2 Canucks fans arguing on the Hawks board. Hah!

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
People seem to be getting awfully excited over a 5th round pick...

You're not suggesting a downside to a contender trading a near ready NHL asset for a guy that won't be able to help the Hawks win anything as Hossa, Sharp, Keith, and Seabrook get further into their 30s?

Sarcasm.

On paper it looks nice, but there's something to be said for moving a tradable asset that the Hawks may need to plug holes on the roster the next 2 seasons...there are going to be plenty of holes and question marks next September.

If everything moves along in the system as we hope, it won't really matter. I can see the point that he's redundant and that it didn't really matter since he was going to be gone. If I wasn't confident about the Hawks staff, I certainly wouldn't be too happy about this move.

I think Chicago took a far bigger gamble than Vancouver, not only in projecting the players, but in moving an asset for something that's unlikely to win them anything through the next 2 years of possible contention. Hopefully the upside pays off down the road.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
The kid is impressive on film. I still think the Hawks need more snarl on the blueline. Guys who are hard to play against and will stand you up at the line, make nasty to retrieve the puck. Every team needs 1 or 2 of these types.

realist99

May 3, 2010
This is one of those rare win/win trades in my eyes.

Agree 100%.

This trade was consummated based on circumstances. If Vancouver hadn't lost a generation of players (20-24 year olds) because of Gillis, they don't make this trade.

If Chicago didn't have a glut of talent that they needed to make room for, they don't make this trade.

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013
You're not suggesting a downside to a contender trading a near ready NHL asset for a guy that won't be able to help the Hawks win anything as Hossa, Sharp, Keith, and Seabrook get further into their 30s?

Sarcasm.

On paper it looks nice, but there's something to be said for moving a tradable asset that the Hawks may need to plug holes on the roster the next 2 seasons...there are going to be plenty of holes and question marks next September.

If everything moves along in the system as we hope, it won't really matter. I can see the point that he's redundant and that it didn't really matter since he was going to be gone. If I wasn't confident about the Hawks staff, I certainly wouldn't be too happy about this move.

[B]I think Chicago took a far bigger gamble than Vancouver, not only in projecting the players, but in moving an asset for something that's unlikely to win them anything through the next 2 years of possible contention.[/B] Hopefully the upside pays off down the road.

SB crushed/fleeced Nucks on this Trade... Cden was Terrible in Games w Hawks...

Cden Is less than average skater... Skates like Pirri... never gonna fit in Hawks system... ever!!!

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
SB crushed/fleeced Nucks on this Trade... Cden was Terrible in Games w Hawks...

Cden Is less than average skater... Skates like Pirri... never gonna fit in Hawks system... ever!!!

My point was that the Hawks are going to be close to contention for another year, maybe two depending on roster movements. There will be some holes and Clendening has value and could be used to address/plug a hole in the depth somewhere in the 16' and/or 17' lineups. Time has value and the Hawks just gave some of that away even if Bowman ends up smoking Benning on the trade in the long term.

I don't think Clendening was great, and I trust the Hawks scouting and evaluation now more than I ever recall. The cost could be compounded on this trade if they lose another piece they could have used to address holes the next couple years though.

I like the trade overall, I think it's very sound from an asset management perspective, but I also think it's a mistake to dismiss the idea that it might not have been a great idea in the short term for what's at stake.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
People declaring winners and losers about a trade involving a guy with four NHL games and a nineteen year old kid? Woof. Won't know the answer for at least a few years.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
People are just jonesing for a real trade, I think. Acquiring a 5th rounder isn't as exciting as this thread would lead you to believe.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Sure, it's not a sexy move, but it looks like a good roster management move regardless. Like it or not, it didn't look like we were going to have a spot for Clendening on our roster next year and we were on the verge of losing rights to him relatively soon. In return for that, we got a promising defensive prospect that we have a few more years to let him develop, thereby giving us good flexibility with him moving forward.

Solid move in my book.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
People seem to be getting awfully excited over a 5th round pick...

Draft position means nothing, especially when a majority of players taken in the top 3 rounds are N.A. kids. The Blackhawks have a really solid prospect in Robin Norell, who was a 5th round pick in 2013 and Robin Press, who was a 7th round pick the same year. Both Swedish Dmen. Obviously, every Blackhawks fan should keep in mind that their most consistent Dmen was also a 5th round pick.

Forsling was great at the WJC and by all accounts has been solid in the SHL this season, as an 18-year-old.

This is a solid trade for both teams. Clendening's behind Rundblad and TVR, and he's competing with Dahlbeck, Johns, Pokka and Paliotta. It's a log-jam of players in the AHL and knocking on the door for the Hawks. He deserves a look in the NHL and the Hawks get a guy that can be a part of the next wave of players after the likes aforementioned move up or move along.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Draft position means nothing, especially when a majority of players taken in the top 3 rounds are N.A. kids. The Blackhawks have a really solid prospect in Robin Norell, who was a 5th round pick in 2013 and Robin Press, who was a 7th round pick the same year. Both Swedish Dmen. Obviously, every Blackhawks fan should keep in mind that their most consistent Dmen was also a 5th round pick.

Forsling was great at the WJC and by all accounts has been solid in the SHL this season, as an 18-year-old.

This is a solid trade for both teams. Clendening's behind Rundblad and TVR, and he's competing with Dahlbeck, Johns, Pokka and Paliotta. It's a log-jam of players in the AHL and knocking on the door for the Hawks. He deserves a look in the NHL and the Hawks get a guy that can be a part of the next wave of players after the likes aforementioned move up or move along.

Hammer was a 4th.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Still think there isn't much to argue about. Both Teams got what they wanted - much like I think the Players too.

Win win situation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad