Casey Cizikas: "If they want to be like that, they can stay home".

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Wrong guy and wrong situation for this kinda talk.

If the Lightning fans were booing their own team and Hedman, Point, Vasi, Kucherov or Stammer spoke up, it would be fair. But Cizikas on the underwhelming Islanders? cmon dude, take your medicine. You got 2 goals and have won nothing.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Fans say way worse stuff than that, and if they didn't I'm sure those aren't the ones he's talking to. The point stands, if you feel like you can shit on someone for whatever reason, you should make sure you aren't too soft to take the blow back.

Idk though, I'm not one to boo teams/players I like, so when players/teams speak out against those fans I don't feel personally hurt. Same thing happened with Devils and Taylor Hall a few years back, I thought it was fine when he spoke up about it and hilarious when the loudest critics cried the hardest. The lack of self awareness is mind blowing.
i can understand that viewpoint but id disagree that its on the same level for fans as is the players (as for criticism received)

the fans hurling slurs or saying awful things i wont stand for.. but just for your average fan or STH whos booing after a sixth loss in a row or something like that, i see no issue and id be ticked off if a player had the nerve to tell me to stay home as they barely skate during the game lol

ill defend the fans right to boo because in most cases its fair (though being NJ fans ourselves, weve seen what tri-state fandom can look like sometimes lmao) and i think Casey is wrong on this one

if he came out and instead said 'i think its bullshit that theyre booing, were only .500 blah blah etc etc'... id be totally fine!

i think once you question the fans dedication and love for the team youve f***ed up; i wonder what old-man-Lou thinks of this

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
As others have pointed out, this is a gate reliant league, bad PR to say "fans should just stay home". Entitled dude, does he really think there are other $2 500 000 jobs waiting for him outside of the NHL? There ain't

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Hockey players have to be the most out of touch north american athletes ever lol

Do they not understand who pays their salary lol.

Even they know that NHL is a third tier league and that the fans really shouldn't care , giving off big *its just hockey bro nobody watches or cares anyways* vibes

Ehh NBA players give them a run for their money with how often they sit out despite being healthy enough to play.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
i can understand that viewpoint but id disagree that its on the same level for fans as is the players (as for criticism received)

the fans hurling slurs or saying awful things i wont stand for.. but just for your average fan or STH whos booing after a sixth loss in a row or something like that, i see no issue and id be ticked off if a player had the nerve to tell me to stay home as they barely skate during the game lol

ill defend the fans right to boo because in most cases its fair (though being NJ fans ourselves, weve seen what tri-state fandom can look like sometimes lmao) and i think Casey is wrong on this one

if he came out and instead said 'i think its bullshit that theyre booing, were only .500 blah blah etc etc'... id be totally fine!

i think once you question the fans dedication and love for the team youve f***ed up; i wonder what old-man-Lou thinks of this
I get what you are saying and maybe he was too direct, but like you, I also defend the fans right to boo. I absolutely would never say otherwise, whether or not I would myself, but that said, you are booing to get a reaction/show your displeasure in the most vocal way possible, getting a vocal honest response back should not be the deathblow it's being made out to be here by some.

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
How bad can this coach really be, he got that mediocre roster to last year's playoffs.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I'll remember that McDonald's customers are paying employees salaries next time I watch them berate a minimum wage worker for forgetting their lettuce.

now imagine those McDonald's employees are making millions of dollars a year for people to sit around and watch them grab lettuce

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I get what you are saying and maybe he was too direct, but like you, I also defend the fans right to boo. I absolutely would never say otherwise, whether or not I would myself, but that said, you are booing to get a reaction/show your displeasure in the most vocal way possible, getting a vocal honest response back should not be the deathblow it's being made out to be here by some.
thats fair!

i wouldnt go firing Casey for it but id give him a stern talking to (if i was Lou) - however the Evan Neal calling fans 'burger flippers' and so on, id have let his fat ass go or traded him lmfao

Reactions: TrufleShufle

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Hockey players have to be the most out of touch north american athletes ever lol

Do they not understand who pays their salary lol.

Even they know that NHL is a third tier league and that the fans really shouldn't care , giving off big *its just hockey bro nobody watches or cares anyways* vibes

How closely do you follow other leagues?

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Maybe boos were deserved, but it's a good thing the Devils front office didn't listen to the fans' request to "fire Lindy." I never said fans shouldn't boo, but calling for a coach to be fired is above their pay grade. It's not always the coaches fault when the team looks bad.

Contrary to popular belief, the customer ISN'T always right.

A lot of Devils fans think we had a good year in spite of Lindy not because of him, that Jack's breakout year would have gotten us to that position no matter what. With the way we have been playing this year that may end up being true. It's to be determined at this point.

But Lindy won me over with how he handled the situation though in terms of how he responded to the chant so I don't have any issues with him yet cause I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
At the end of the day, like a former Islanders coach said, the NHL is a "winning league" and not a "development league." Especially for teams that aren't rebuilding and don't have good farm systems, like the Islanders right now.

Fans have every right to be frustrated at this point as the current team stinks and the farm stinks. Imagine spending who knows how much money on tickets, transport and probably food to go to UBS Arena on a Saturday night and they trot out that cruddy play on the ice for 60 minutes?

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
. the most classless thing to do in sports.... Agree 100% with Cizikas and Brady.

Its one thing to boo a collective team's performance, its another to chant for a specific person to be fired while theyre coaching a game. Absolutely pathetic from the fans.

And for you posters who are calling them "soft" etc.... Youre just as pathetic, as you would probably be balling your eyes out and quit on the spot out of embarrassment if you were in their place.
Bro, projecting your feelings on other people isn't cool. If you're a soft little bitch, whatever. But most of us wouldn't care if we're booed or heckled.

SOFT!

Reactions: Samhockey3

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I kind of wish people would boo me at work.

However I want to be able to tell them what I think of them responsibility free in return.

Well is Cizikas not free to make those comments? Fans have a right to not like the comments and critique him for them

Like it or not, PR is part of the job. Not the most important part, but still is

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
As others have pointed out, this is a gate reliant league, bad PR to say "fans should just stay home". Entitled dude, does he really think there are other $2 500 000 jobs waiting for him outside of the NHL? There ain't

If it wasn’t for pro sports the only job waiting for him would be 37 cents an hour stamping license plates.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
its the most classless thing to do in sports.... Agree 100% with Cizikas and Brady.

Its one thing to boo a collective team's performance, its another to chant for a specific person to be fired while theyre coaching a game. Absolutely pathetic from the fans.

And for you posters who are calling them "soft" etc.... Youre just as pathetic, as you would probably be balling your eyes out and quit on the spot out of embarrassment if you were in their place.

LMAO! Coaches are hired to be fired. Wait til it happens to DJ Smith. It's coming.

Although to be fair to Cizikas, if I had fans like @SI90 and @PWJunior I'd be asking them to stay at home too.

LMAO!

/thread.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Eventually the fans will stay home and that’s what you guys should want to avoid.. not encourage

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad