Casey Cizikas: "If they want to be like that, they can stay home".

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Fans: You guys suck, you get paid too much, you shouldn't have a job at all, your life's work has been a waste!

Players: I don't like that

Fans:
NEZ3UBXUTJVWFLUY2P7FV5UAOE.jpg

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Again, BOOing a collective team is one thing (ie. the quality of product as a whole). To acutally single out one guy by CHANTING for them to get fired, when they are just PART of them problem is just stupid and classless.

MAYBE, just MAYBE the Isles are just not a good team. Apart from when Trotz was the coach, when were they actually good? Maybe LOU is the acutal REASON for their demise here.... Constantly trying to patch the team year after year with mediocre players, and always have a very poor prospect pool.

Oh but lets blame this new coach for everything.

If you actually read the article they already chanted to fire Lou as well.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
If I spend over $100 on a ticket, you bet your ass I'll boo to my heart's content. Anybody with a lick of sense would do the same.
These fans don't have a lick of sense... why would you think replacing the coach of this roster is going to be a difference maker?

If they chanted fire Lou, people would be agreeing with them

Reactions: amnesiac

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
its the most classless thing to do in sports.... Agree 100% with Cizikas and Brady.

Its one thing to boo a collective team's performance, its another to chant for a specific person to be fired while theyre coaching a game. Absolutely pathetic from the fans.

And for you posters who are calling them "soft" etc.... Youre just as pathetic, as you would probably be balling your eyes out and quit on the spot out of embarrassment if you were in their place.
Fans are paying customers. They're allowed to voice their displeasure within reasonable limits of course, it's not like they said something about his family or something like that. Cizikas seems to be losing sight of that.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Another player crying over fans cheering for the coach to be fired.

He is sticking up for his coach and what he believes in. What is wrong with this? Who cares how much people are paying for tickets these days. If folks are not happy with inflation they should take their frustrations out at the voting booths. He is there to play hockey and stick up
For his team. And he is doing just that. Good for him for not being a dumb sheep.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
He is sticking up for his coach and what he believes in. What is wrong with this? Who cares how much people are paying for tickets these days. If folks are not happy with inflation they should take their frustrations out at the voting booths. He is there to play hockey and stick up
For his team. And he is doing just that. Good for him for not being a dumb sheep.

And good on the fans for taking it to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Groo

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Majority of them come from extremely well off families so they probably don't understand what its like the blow hundreds of dollars to see a completely shit product. Most have been entitled and pampered throughout their up bringing.

This is an issue for elite athletes, especially football players in the US. Seen this first-hand.

It's also why a lot of them fare very poorly after they retire. Suddenly, you gotta deal with the world instead of having somebody deal with it for you because you can throw a ball real good.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I have no right to tell anyone how to act..... hahahahha. So youre also ok with fans chucking garbage on the ice if theres was a bad call too, I take it? Youre one of those. What a great role model you must be.

Yeah cus you think it would just be "A CUSTOMER'S RIGHT" to just show up at someone's workplace and start yelling at ONE of the employees because they arent pleased with the company's product. Oh what a great society you believe you live in.

Fact of the matter is, YOU and all these pathetic fans who chant "FIRE (said coach)" wouldnt have the BALLS to do so if they were alone face to face with them. Just a bunch of drunken idiotic fans riding the wave.
That's basically it for me, anywhere else these people would be seen as the ultimate douche bag karens. But since there's 15,000 of them and it's sports it's okay.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
This is an issue for elite athletes, especially football players in the US. Seen this first-hand.

It's also why a lot of them fare very poorly after they retire. Suddenly, you gotta deal with the world instead of having somebody deal with it for you because you can throw a ball real good.
Its the opposite issue for most football players I imagine. They are selected for freak athletic ability and many come from poor backgrounds. They don't have the tools to handle the wealth after retirement.

Most NHL players would have family with money they can lean on for advice.

Reactions: Ezekial

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Fans are paying customers. They're allowed to voice their displeasure within reasonable limits of course, it's not like they said something about his family or something like that. Cizikas seems to be losing sight of that.
I'll remember that McDonald's customers are paying employees salaries next time I watch them berate a minimum wage worker for forgetting their lettuce.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Its the opposite issue for most football players I imagine. They are selected for freak athletic ability and many come from poor backgrounds. They don't have the tools to handle the wealth after retirement.

Most NHL players would have family with money they can lean on for advice.

In the US, kids with elite football talent start getting shunted up into the perks of wealth in high school. Being shielded from consequences, having girls provided for entertainment, nice clothes and accoutrements, etc.

Recruiting is a hell of a thing.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
I’m glad he said it. It’s amusing. What are you going to do about it? Boo louder? Quit following hockey forever? Write a letter to your congressman?

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
the idea that because someone paid to go to a game absolves them of any criticism for being classless/ in poor taste or allows to say whatever they want about another human being is stupid.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Laughable that you compare that to fans in an arena chanting something about a coach.
Yea I know, one is for entertainment and that other person could need those lettuce calories to survive.

If the McDonald's employees were on an NHL contract I can guarantee they wouldn't care if you booed them.
I make a decent living, you can't scream in my face that I've done a poor job. You have to submit a complaint through proper channels.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yea I know, one is for entertainment and that other person could need those lettuce calories to survive.
If you don't see the difference between berating somebody in person at a regular job and an arena of people chanting something in an entertainment venue then I can't help you.

It's like the Seinfeld episode when Jerry went to the heckler's job at Pendant Publishing and booed/hissed at her. A comedic episode literally made fun of that scenario because it's so far fetched and ridiculous.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If you don't see the difference between berating somebody in person at a regular job and an arena of people chanting something in an entertainment venue then I can't help you.

It's like the Seinfeld episode when Jerry went to the heckler's job at Pendant Publishing and booed/hissed at her. A comedic episode literally made fun of that scenario because it's so far fetched and ridiculous.
You condone karenism, it's fine.

That's basically it for me, anywhere else these people would be seen as the ultimate douche bag karens. But since there's 15,000 of them and it's sports it's okay.

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Imagine if players like Cizikas played a sport with real fans.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
People seriously get bent out of shape about this?

We say we want players to be honest. Do you think any players, in their heart of hearts, believe the old canary about 'fans pay their money, they can boo if they want'.

That's boilerplate nonsense.

When it comes to a coach, most fans are utter troglodytes. Look at the level of 90% of the discourse on hfboards and then consider that the population here self-identifies as 'hard core fans'.

So for a player to stand-up for his coach against mouth breathers who are drunkenly yelling about a dynamic they have very little idea of (having not been in the room) is a good thing for his dressing room.

"Oh no, he disagreed with the fans, how sacrosanct!"

Do you want honesty or nonsense?

"Yes, they're right. Most of them have never played and watch like 50% of the games out of one eye while talking to somebody, but they know far far more en masse than the athletes and coaches in this room who have devoted their entire lives to this profession. Also, we are supported by a billion dollar organization that gets us all of the info we need and supports us in just about every way, but somehow we don't have the same intuition as that divorced Dad eating his 9th chil-dog today".

What if the fans take his advice, though?

Does he really mean that if fans aren’t happy with play on the ice, or if a team isn’t playing well that instead of coming to the game they should just stay home?

With the economy the way it is, and prices for mortgages, rent, groceries and everything else really stretching peoples pay cheques, spending $300-$1,000 for a couple tickets to a hockey game (plus parking and transportation and food and drinks at the arena) is going to just get harder and harder for people to justify in their budgets.

Would he want people to actually not show up?

If that’s the case, league revenue drops, player salary drops, and there is no floor here. He will just end up paying more and more of his own paycheque into escrow until his next contract, then sign for lower when the cap goes down.

Just a tone deaf thing to say, you never tell your fans to stay home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad