Casey Cizikas: "If they want to be like that, they can stay home".

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Cizikas comes across as incredibly tone deaf here.
Cizikas is very well liked for being a truly genuine guy. I've heard him praised in many ways - he's loyal, he's a good teammate, he's got a great attitude, he's got an infectious smile, wears his heart on his sleeve.

What one does not hear, "That Cizikas is one sharp cookie."

One problem NYI have right now with Anders Lee playing like a really big guy whose aging was accelerated by his ACL injury is that NYI have a leadership vacuum.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I know what you're saying but they can show more personality without shitting on the fans who pay to watch them play. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Sure, I can agree with that. But on the flipside, let's make the context about post game interviews. When the emotions are still fresh, I don't think anything good can come out of a frustrated player's mouth if they let their genuine feelings be known at that moment.

I can only imagine how I'd be feeling inside a few minutes after a loss if the home crowd is chanting against you, and a reporter sticks a microphone in your face to ask how "how does it feel".

Reactions: wraithsonwings

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The NHL is (sadly) turning into European soccer where every time a team has a bad week or two and loses 3 or 4 games in a row - which happens to every team multiple times every year, no matter what - that the fans start calling for the coach/manager's head.

The manager carousels in European soccer are absolutely insane. It isn't unusual for teams to have 10 managers in the last 10 years and just be permanently living for a dead cat bounce without ever having any sort of consistency/continuity or established system in place.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009

Hockey players have to be the most out of touch north american athletes ever lol

Do they not understand who pays their salary lol.

Even they know that NHL is a third tier league and that the fans really shouldn't care , giving off big *its just hockey bro nobody watches or cares anyways* vibes
You should see how some basketball players behave. It was quite a while ago, but one of my favourite things an athlete ever did was Latrell Sprewell being upset at being offered 21 million dollars because he has a family to feed.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
You should see how some basketball players behave. It was quite a while ago, but one of my favourite things an athlete ever did was Latrell Sprewell being upset at being offered 21 million dollars because he has a family to feed.

Oh the humanity!

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Players take the cheers during a playoff run, opening night etc. with bravado and pride. The other side of the coin is that when things aren't going well, they have to accept the boos and whatever chants are ushered too. Hypocrisy rings high here.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
that's a pr soundbite. looks and feels empty. i prefer the way cizikas did it.
Yeah, I get it. But one is the truth (even if it’s a PR sound bite) and one is bullshit.

Hint: Problem isn’t that fans don’t appreciate what team is offering.

Old Casey better be careful. House is half full already. Chase away the boo birds and you’re playing in an arena that feels like Arizona’s high school facility.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I say shame on the reporter throwing him under the bus like that. You know it's not going to be well received, but you make that your headline anyway because it's going to get you a bunch of clicks. If that reporter did that to me, he would never get a comment out of me again and I would do everything in my power to convince my teammates to shut him out too. A f***ing spaceship could land at center ice, an alien could get out and set me up with a pass for the game winning goal and I wouldn't have a comment for that guy. Some blogger from his mom's basement would become the new source for info because I would feed him layups and make sure that every scoop this dude got was dead wrong.

Galactico

Feb 17, 2016
Canada
I'm all for booing and chanting whatever you want as long as it isnt completely out of line. It costs a lot of time and money to go to games. People are allowed to have higher standards and demand more out of their teams. Doesn't matter if they never played a high level or not, that's just nonsense elitist bs talk. Teams being held accountable by their fanbase is never a bad thing. It means the fans care and want the product to be better.

Though it seems like some have taken to Casey's advice before he even gave it...

What? The Islanders played in a 13k capacity arena all those years?

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Didn’t he also have a thing for choking coaches with gentle sounding names? PJ I believe.

Who chokes a PJ!?!

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Reading posts in this thread makes you wonder why these people actually even watch NHL games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad