Casey Cizikas: "If they want to be like that, they can stay home".

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
This is one of those situations where both perspectives make sense. Fans want to vent and perhaps they should. Players like their coach and don't think that's fair, which also is understandable.

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
Such a non story.

Fans can boo/chant fire the coach while at the arena.
Players can comment on the fans chants after games.

Reactions: Norwegianoiler
Nov 9, 2022
Another player crying over fans cheering for the coach to be fired.

I got flammed from fellow Wings fans when Lambert was rumored to get the bench job in Detroit and I said he wouldnt fit here, even with the close Yzerman connection.

I have been redeemed.

Reactions: MCR74

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
sorry whos "refusing to do their job or trying to get someone else fired?" (whos he trying to get fired??)

The Isles only looked good under a HOF coach in Barry Trotz in recent memory. Its not as if the team on paper is great by any means. If anything Lou is the one who constructed the team. Blame him.

Lambert may not be a good coach in the end, but it sure as hell doesnt give fans a right to humiliate him by CHANTING him to get fired. Just BOO the team as a whole, not a specific person.
Actually the fans have a right to chant for someone to get fired believe it or not.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah, players have nothing to gain from speaking out against stuff like this. As much as we complain about the players being monotonous in interviews, there's a reason why it's usually in their best interest to hold their cards close to their vest.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
thats just leadership. i dont see anything wrong with this.
That’s not leadership. Leadership is acknowledging that the fans are frustrated for good reason and that the players need to find a way to turn them around through better play and results.

Reactions: MCR74

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
People seriously get bent out of shape about this?

We say we want players to be honest. Do you think any players, in their heart of hearts, believe the old canary about 'fans pay their money, they can boo if they want'.

That's boilerplate nonsense.

When it comes to a coach, most fans are utter troglodytes. Look at the level of 90% of the discourse on hfboards and then consider that the population here self-identifies as 'hard core fans'.

So for a player to stand-up for his coach against mouth breathers who are drunkenly yelling about a dynamic they have very little idea of (having not been in the room) is a good thing for his dressing room.

"Oh no, he disagreed with the fans, how sacrosanct!"

Do you want honesty or nonsense?

"Yes, they're right. Most of them have never played and watch like 50% of the games out of one eye while talking to somebody, but they know far far more en masse than the athletes and coaches in this room who have devoted their entire lives to this profession. Also, we are supported by a billion dollar organization that gets us all of the info we need and supports us in just about every way, but somehow we don't have the same intuition as that divorced Dad eating his 9th chil-dog today".
It's cringey how casually people throw around insults on the internet. Especially over something as petty as this.

I don't think this is worthy of a lecture. Fans are going to express themselves. It's not a revolutionary concept. In this case, tension spilled over. Not a big deal. Certainly not a big enough deal to be throwing around insults. But, that's the beauty of being anonymous on the internet, I suppose.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
It's cringey how casually people throw around insults on the internet. Especially over something as petty as this.

I don't think this is worthy of a lecture. Fans are going to express themselves. It's not a revolutionary concept. In this case, tension spilled over. Not a big deal. Certainly not a big enough deal to be throwing around insults. But, that's the beauty of being anonymous on the internet, I suppose.
It appears to me that you feel directly called out.

I'm not saying that fans don't get to be cringe and ignorant, I'm saying that it doesn't mean it usually carries any wisdom and that players have a right to have an opinion about that.

Not trying to call you out directly. Nor am I saying it's wrong to hold an opinion that a coach should be canned, but to be yelling it at your own players and then get pissy when they disagree in a slightly dismissive way just seems ignorant and weak-sauce to me.

Evergreen

I think the right way to address these instances as a player is to just say “The fans have a right to be disappointed and express their frustration. We played a bad game and need to be better.” That ends it.

I’m sure even Cizikas wishes he had said that. But when you’re frustrated and you are asked a question in the heat of the moment, it’s difficult to respond the way you should.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
It's a game played for the purpose of entertainment. The crowd reacting is entertainment. The crowd chanting for the coach to be fired is entertainment. The players reacting to said chanting is entertainment. It's all good.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
That’s not leadership. Leadership is acknowledging that the fans are frustrated for good reason and that the players need to find a way to turn them around through better play and results.
that's a pr soundbite. looks and feels empty. i prefer the way cizikas did it.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Such a non story.

Fans can boo/chant fire the coach while at the arena.
Players can comment on the fans chants after games.
I think the whole reason behind this thread existing is that not everyone agrees on either of those points, and there's a variety of opinions about fan/player etiquette on both sides of the matter.

Of course people can and will say/do whatever they want. Non-post.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
If Cizikas doesn’t like it, play better - it’s really that simple. The fans are the ones who ultimately pay for everything in this league including player and coach salaries. They are entitled to voice their opinions and displeasure with the product they are receiving.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I see nothing wrong with chanting for the firing of a coach if the team is that disappointing. But isn't this really on Lou? He had a short window where the team looked like a contender. Then they stood pat while everyone else got younger, faster, and better. He let the coach who made it all work go and this is what you have, and old, slow, expensive roster. That's really not on the coach if you ask me.

IMO Lou probably thought the team was on the cusp of greatness after those back to back ECF runs. Instead of improving the team he did nothing and thought it would be enough.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
He can say that, but if I was one of those fans I would just take his advice and stay home. Why am I spending my money and time on this team? You know? “Thanks Casey, you saved me a bunch of money!”

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
He can say that, but if I was one of those fans I would just take his advice and stay home. Why am I spending my money and time on this team? You know? “Thanks Casey, you saved me a bunch of money!”

If I was a fan, Casey's 5 points on the season wouldn't be enough to get me to the arena.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
If you're the New York Islanders, I'm not sure you're in a position to turn away anyone willing to pay to watch your games. Cizikas, having spent his entire NHL career on the island, should know that better than most.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
He doesn't have to worry because the place is going to be a ghost town in a few months

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
I see nothing wrong with chanting for the firing of a coach if the team is that disappointing. But isn't this really on Lou? He had a short window where the team looked like a contender. Then they stood pat while everyone else got younger, faster, and better. He let the coach who made it all work go and this is what you have, and old, slow, expensive roster. That's really not on the coach if you ask me.
Lou destroyed this team, Islanders should have gone with a re-build or a re-tool last year instead Lou doubled down on an extremely small chance to win a cup and further decimated an already poor farm system, it is pointless to boo Lane or anyone as it is just a weak team and there is no chance at any success with how it is constructed.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
Yeah, players have nothing to gain from speaking out against stuff like this. As much as we complain about the players being monotonous in interviews, there's a reason why it's usually in their best interest to hold their cards close to their vest.

I know what you're saying but they can show more personality without shitting on the fans who pay to watch them play. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad