Friedman: Canucks will offer big money but short term to mystery ufa (possibly Carlson)

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Why would a player, any player, take three years at $10M instead of eight years at $9M or $9.5M/yr? I figured they'd be offering some number that is truly distinct, in the $12M or $13M range or so. Otherwise, the security and excellent money is far preferable to slightly more excellent money and considerably less security.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
How is this not tampering? They're essentially leaking potential contract details to a player currently under contract through "sources" and "speculation."

Because Friedman said it not the Canucks. When Benning got previously fined for talking about Subban and Stamkos he said their names on aire and admitted he was looking at those players.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
With Carlson being 28 this year he could conceivably sign a 2 year, $20M contract this season and then at 30 sign a 7 year, long term contract. There's obviously the injury risk, or the risk his plays falls off the face of the earth, but the ability to cash in now on a short term deal, as well as cashing in again at 30 on a long term deal might be enticing.

John Carlson has never had a season like this and may never end up having a similar career year during a contract year either, the odds for that are small. He's hitting the jackpot right now as an prime aged UFA who leads the entire league in points by D's. He's not a guy who likes to constantly move around either. Has played his entire career in Washington and would still love to stay but obviously that might not be a possibility. He's never going to leave money on the table like that and take the offer which likely means he will have to move again in few years.

Like i said before. If he wants a front-loaded contract, he will still have multiple offers on the table where he makes north of 10 million per first few seasons.

Reactions: Oryxo

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
KEY WORD: SPECULATION

Remember, Elliott Friedman is a hockey fan, just like you and I, and his "speculation" is nothing more than an educated guess.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I don't see why a top UFA takes that, unless they are old.

Carlson will ask for 8/8 or something similar. That guaranteed money is so much better.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
KEY WORD: SPECULATION

Remember, Elliott Friedman is a hockey fan, just like you and I, and his "speculation" is nothing more than an educated guess.
I'd want to hear the actual audio, but from that opening post I don't see how this is speculation. Friedman speculates a lot, but he doesn't just pull specifics like that out of thin air.

I'd have to hear the exact wording though. If he said it like "if I were them, I'd use up my cap space on a short term overpayment" then I'd agree with you, but that's not what's presented

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Carlson coming off a 65 pt season aint signing in a dumpster fire like Vancity and esp on a short term deal lol what a poorly constructed thread

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Carlson

$30 mil + roll the dice on your next extension

Or

~$56-60 mil guaranteed and stability and security.

Financial sense alone should sway a reasonable fellow to spurn the $30 mil offer. Add to that he’s an East Coast guy and is used to being on good playoffs (qualifying) teams....

I guess stranger things have happened.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Why would a player, any player, take three years at $10M instead of eight years at $9M or $9.5M/yr? I figured they'd be offering some number that is truly distinct, in the $12M or $13M range or so. Otherwise, the security and excellent money is far preferable to slightly more excellent money and considerably less security.
I don't even get why Vancouver would do this rather than just using that cap space to lock up a good player longer term....unless they have their eye on a FA in 3 years.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I'd want to hear the actual audio, but from that opening post I don't see how this is speculation. Friedman speculates a lot, but he doesn't just pull specifics like that out of thin air.

I'd have to hear the exact wording though. If he said it like "if I were them, I'd use up my cap space on a short term overpayment" then I'd agree with you, but that's not what's presented

From the original post:

"Speculation is that the mystery player is John Carlson and the offer would be 10mil/yr for 3 yrs."

I don't know exactly how the quote was worded so obviously we can't be certain, but my guess is that Friedman was the first one to use the term "speculation".

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
In this case, why wouldn't a team just offer tavares league max for 3 years then?
NBA stars never sign for more than 2 or 3 years at the max and I always wonder why NHL stars are so reluctant to take this route

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
How are Vancouvers prospects looking? I know Boeser is going to be really good but who else they got up the pipeline? Probably looking at a few coming up after the Sedins retire.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
How are Vancouvers prospects looking? I know Boeser is going to be really good but who else they got up the pipeline?

Pettersson - record breakingyear in SHL.

Dahlen- leading scoring in Allsvenskan

Gaudette- leading scorer in NCAA. Front runner for Hobey Baker award

Lind- 95 pts in 58 games w. Kelowna.

Gadjovich - represented Canada at WJC

Demko- AHL all star goalie

Then theres young guys who are a bit older like Virtanen Juolevi Goldobin

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
From the original post:

"Speculation is that the mystery player is John Carlson and the offer would be 10mil/yr for 3 yrs."

I don't know exactly how the quote was worded so obviously we can't be certain, but my guess is that Friedman was the first one to use the term "speculation".
What I get from that wording is that it is not speculation from Friedman. It is a source that knows something real but just doesn't know the exact specifics, and the speculation is just on those specifics.

And really it could be just connecting some dots. If they were going to drop massive cap space on one player for a few years, it could only be Carlson or Tavares. But maybe it is something like 12 million for Tavares instead.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

I don’t think Elliotte is thinking Carlson in around the $7.5 to $8 mill per range.

Basically, overlay by around $3 million per season.

But in reality, no one is going to leave around $25 million guaranteed in the table.

He would end up making more doing 3 years and then another 4 year deal but the risk of gaining the extra $5-7 million isn’t worth the risk. Not much difference between $53 million over 7 years vs 2 deals that net you $60 million.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad