Friedman: Canucks will offer big money but short term to mystery ufa (possibly Carlson)

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Every true Canucks fan knows that Carlson is the big UFA prize this year. Tavares is a red herring for any market - if he doesn't end up signing with a contender, I expect him back in Long Island.

edit: FIGURATIVE Long Island

Last edited:

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Carlson
$30 mil + roll the dice on your next extension
Or
~$56-60 mil guaranteed and stability and security.
Financial sense alone should sway a reasonable fellow to spurn the $30 mil offer. Add to that he’s an East Coast guy and is used to being on good playoffs (qualifying) teams....
I guess stranger things have happened.

I definitely agree that your line of thinking is logical, but I think option #1 is viable too.

Whoever the targeted player is, let’s assume he doesn't roll with a deep entourage and have a lot of people to carry. He might view the guaranteed $30M as more than enough to set his family up for life, with everything else being play money. In which case, why not take the risk and bet on yourself? If you’re still an in-demand player on the other side, you set yourself up for a long-term deal and possibly many, many millions more than you might have earned otherwise (with the cap usually climbing, what might a long-term contract look like 3 years from now?).

I worked a secure job with good pay and on track for a great pension for a few years. My wife landed an even more secure job with better pay, so I figured I’d roll the dice on a riskier option. It was a calculated risk that was worth taking – and paid off. If you knew you’d locked down your family’s financial needs regardless of taking Option 1 or 2, wouldn’t you consider betting on yourself for bigger $?

Obviously there are a ton of personal variables at play here that we don’t know. I’m just saying it’s not that far-fetched to think someone might consider this.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Interesting strategy, curious to see how it works out.

IMO you would have to crazy overpay to get the shorter term. Why would a Carlssn or Tavares uproot their life and family and then risk a potential injury or poor performance crippling his next contract playing for a basement team unless the offer was ridiculous?

I would take a guaranteed 64 million over 8 years deal before I took 30 million over 3. Vancouver would have to offer at least a 50% premium, so something like 12M per season for 2-3 years.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
NBA stars never sign for more than 2 or 3 years at the max and I always wonder why NHL stars are so reluctant to take this route

NBA has a soft cap and provisions for re-signing guys under Bird rights rules, plus they can play with a shorter bench and more star power where hockey requires more depth.

You can win an NBA championship with three studs and filler (Miami Heat) but even if you put Crosby McDavid and Karlsson on the same NHL team they would lose horribly every night if they were surrounded by veteran minimum guys.

member 105785

Um, the Canucks already have one much much worse right now in Eriksson. At least Lucic got over 24 points with the Oilers lol.
Oilers will be able to LTIR him easy in the future. It is known he is a degenerative back issue that will get worse until we LTIR him. If Hossa can get LTIR due to alergies to hockey equipment, the Oilers will be able to LTIR Lucic.

Seeing as how the Canucks are among the worst teams in the league and the Oilers were supposed to be cup contenders this year, Lucic's contract is far worse for his team, add in that Eriksson's contract is done a year sooner and it's even better by comparison. Is Lucic better than Eriksson in a vacuum? Maybe, but everyone knows the Canucks are gonna suck anyways so cap space doesn't matter for them, on the other hand, Lucic's massive contract will stop Edmonton from attracting a top 4 defenseman in FA with McDavid's 12.5m, Draisaitl's 8.5m and Lucic's 6m per year for the next 6 years.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Seeing as how the Canucks are among the worst teams in the league and the Oilers were supposed to be cup contenders this year, Lucic's contract is far worse for his team, add in that Eriksson's contract is done a year sooner and it's even better by comparison. Is Lucic better than Eriksson in a vacuum? Maybe, but everyone knows the Canucks are gonna suck anyways so cap space doesn't matter for them, on the other hand, Lucic's massive contract will stop Edmonton from attracting a top 4 defenseman in FA with McDavid's 12.5m, Draisaitl's 8.5m and Lucic's 6m per year for the next 6 years.

What do you mean maybe? Eriksson has yet to hit 25 points in a year with the Canucks. Lucic with by far the worst season of his Career had well over Eriksson's point total. Eriksson is three years old and has perhaps the worst contract in the league. Canucks are planning on sucking for another four years after this year? Cool, have fun.
Oilers also went to game 7 of the second round last season, missing what Eberle? Lots of reasons the Oilers were terrible this season, but I would not rule them out as they have the best player in the world.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
NBA stars never sign for more than 2 or 3 years at the max and I always wonder why NHL stars are so reluctant to take this route

Current NBA CBA is a different animal. Plenty of NBA clubs are over the cap, which is a luxury NHL teams don't get. If an NHL player signs for the max, he's going to limit the remaining salary available to field the rest of the team. Signing for term can add some cheap years at the end which lowers the cap hit, which in theory helps the team.

How many teams even have the cap space to fit John Tavares at a 3 year, 36 million dollar deal? And of those teams, how many would be desirable to sign with?

NBA franchise can live or die by a franchise player, so the players have a bit more leverage.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Pay Carlson max money on a two year deal.

Get at least 1.5 years of hockey out of Carlson, he signs the contract because 16 million over two years is likely the same as he'd make over 4 years time on any other team, and he'd still be young enough to sign another big money extension.

Then, the Canucks are in a position where they have a leg up on extending Carlson 1 year from now, or at the 2020 trade deadline if he is not extended they can trade him for a 1st+2nd+Prospect type return.

It's a very EA Sports way of doing things.....but it'd be interesting none the less.

member 105785

What do you mean maybe? Eriksson has yet to hit 25 points in a year with the Canucks. Lucic with by far the worst season of his Career had well over Eriksson's point total. Eriksson is three years old and has perhaps the worst contract in the league. Canucks are planning on sucking for another four years after this year? Cool, have fun.
Oilers also went to game 7 of the second round last season, missing what Eberle? Lots of reasons the Oilers were terrible this season, but I would not rule them out as they have the best player in the world.

Oilers fan giving the Canucks grief for being bad for a few years even after the Oilers missed the plaoyffs for a decade? It took them how many 1OA picks to turn the ship only to have Chia punt it all away? Please, the Eriksson contract is better for the Canucks than the Lucic contract is for the Oilers, the Canucks probably wouldn't trade 1 for 1 as Eriksson is off the books a year sooner.

hockeyguy1967

Aug 24, 2017
Oilers fan giving the Canucks grief for being bad for a few years even after the Oilers missed the plaoyffs for a decade? It took them how many 1OA picks to turn the ship only to have Chia punt it all away? Please, the Eriksson contract is better for the Canucks than the Lucic contract is for the Oilers, the Canucks probably wouldn't trade 1 for 1 as Eriksson is off the books a year sooner.
How am I giving you grief, there is no way Canucks management are planning on tanking for another three years. Wow, thanks for bolding an obvious typo sounds like someone is mad that they have a worse contract. You would take someone who produces half as much and is three years older then another guy who makes the same money? Cool. Canucks would do that trade in a second. They offered Lucic more money to play there the summer the Oilers signed him. Also when you correct grammar, best practice is to make sure yours is perfect. putting "the" after a comma is grammatically incorrect kiddo.

member 105785

How am I giving you grief, there is no way Canucks management are planning on tanking for another three years. Wow, thanks for bolding an obvious typo sounds like someone is mad that they have a worse contract. You would take someone who produces half as much and is three years older then another guy who makes the same money? Cool. Canucks would do that trade in a second. They offered Lucic more money to play there the summer the Oilers signed him.

Thankfully he gets to play with Connor McTank instead, 35 vs 25 isn't half as much, nor does 3 years of age matter when they're both garbage piles, however getting 6m off the cap a year earlier is worth more to the Canucks than 10 more points a year when the Canucks are expected to miss the playoffs throughout most of Eriksson's contract.

hockeyguy1967

Aug 24, 2017
Thankfully he gets to play with Connor McTank instead, 35 vs 25 isn't half as much, nor does 3 years of age matter when they're both garbage piles, however getting 6m off the cap a year earlier is worth more to the Canucks than 10 more points a year when the Canucks are expected to miss the playoffs throughout most of Eriksson's contract.
Who is Connor McTank? How old are you? Are you bashing the best player in the NHL? Sounds like someone is very upset. Difference is Lucic has a strong background and doubled his points last year. This year really is a outlier. Now if that is the new Lucic, remains to be seen but Eriksson has sucked since he was signed. Like I said in another thread, if the Oilers really need his cap space and he becomes useless like this year, we will LTIR him, or send him to a team that needs to reach the cap floor. He does not waive trade? Cool, enjoy press box every night.

member 105785

Who is Connor McTank? How old are you? Are you bashing the best player in the NHL? Sounds like someone is very upset. Difference is Lucic has a strong background and doubled his points last year. This year really is a outlier. Now if that is the new Lucic, remains to be seen but Eriksson has sucked since he was signed. Like I said in another thread, if the Oilers really need his cap space and he becomes useless like this year, we will LTIR him, or send him to a team that needs to reach the cap floor. He does not waive trade? Cool, enjoy press box every night.

Connor McTank, you know, the guy who the Oilers still can't get out of the basement with? The guy who wins Art Ross trophies but had his ELC years pissed away by incompetent management?

I don't understand how you don't realize that 10 extra points isn't worth an extra contract year for a rebuilding team? Glad to know that Lucic will be showing all his grit and truculence on the golf course. If the Canucks really need that space, they can LTIR Eriksson as well, so why are we even having this discussion? You don't seem to realize teams have different needs, while the Oilers may need an extra 10 points out of a player to make the playoffs, the Canucks, a rebuilding team, shouldn't care that badly about the point totals and focus on getting the contract off the books earlier for when they look to compete again. I wouldn't, nor should the Canucks, entertain the offer of trading 1 for 1, it would only prolong the Canucks rebuild an additional year.

Hockey down under

Feb 13, 2017
Um, the Canucks already have one much much worse right now in Eriksson. At least Lucic got over 24 points with the Oilers lol.
Oilers will be able to LTIR him easy in the future. It is known he is a degenerative back issue that will get worse until we LTIR him. If Hossa can get LTIR due to alergies to hockey equipment, the Oilers will be able to LTIR Lucic.
Eriksson has 23 points but he's only played 50 games. He's also decent defensively. Overpaid for sure.

Lucic has played every game this season. He got to play with the best player in the game and still struggled to produce. He's slow as molasses. Lucic is one tough customer though. He keeps the other team honest.

Lucic has the extra year on his contract but his back will eventually allow him to be on Ltir near the end of his contract. He is also overpaid.

The worst contract has to be Seabrook. 6 more years at nearly 7 million a year. A full no movement clause for 4 years. Brutal

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
the talk in the metro area, is Carlson to New Jersey, they have ryane clowe's 5m coming off the books so they'll have roughly 15M to play with and Shero reportedly covets Carlson. since he's from the Area and they obviously have a need. Id guess its 60-40 he ends up in NJ

Plus how better to close the gap with Washington,....? eight points isnt much when Washington is losing its #1 and NJ is gaining a #1....

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
“We are going to fix our roster by giving out idiotic contracts, but only at 3 or 4 years”

Reactions: Askel

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
To be fair, this is what I do when I’m rebuilding in NHL 18.

Love giving max money on 1 year deals to 39 year olds in order to meet the cap floor

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Looking to use cap space to acquire future type assets? Wow they are actually rebuilding.

Love the idea of overpaying on short term. We could really use help on defense and now another center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad