Friedman: Canucks will offer big money but short term to mystery ufa (possibly Carlson)

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
How is this not tampering? They're essentially leaking potential contract details to a player currently under contract through "sources" and "speculation."
Well, first of all, speculating isn't evidence, its speculation. As far as we know, Canucks management isn't leaking any information. They can talk about whatever they want behind closed doors. So unless evidence pops up that they have talked to Carlson, his agent, or actually leaked this info to the media, then it isn't tampering.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
This isnt actually the worst idea.

In fact it is damn smart.
Eat 50% of that cap hit in the final year and trade.
Yep, could work really well for a rebuilding team. Of course, this is assuming that a player is willing to sign with a rebuilding team and plan to lose for at least some of the next three years.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I doubt any top free agents go for that. Sure it's tempting but then again you can just get a long-term contract with boatload of money coming in the first few years or through signing bonuses, and you get job security along with that.

No chance an UFA like Carlson goes for this. He's having a career year as an UFA already and i'll be shocked if he signs anywhere for less than 6 years at minimum. Maybe if he wants to stay in Washington at all cost but i doubt it. He's not going to sign 3-year deal with Canucks when he has a chance to get set for life.

With Carlson being 28 this year he could conceivably sign a 2 year, $20M contract this season and then at 30 sign a 7 year, long term contract. There's obviously the injury risk, or the risk his plays falls off the face of the earth, but the ability to cash in now on a short term deal, as well as cashing in again at 30 on a long term deal might be enticing.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
We are allready loaded with bad contracts and not a lot of room for other players to add if we are having more kids in the line up.so im thinking this is false.Unless we are gutting the whole team.
They can take bad contracts in the form of high cap hits. I don't think they will want long term bad contracts unless it is a guy they think will be worth having for more than a year or two.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
We are allready loaded with bad contracts and not a lot of room for other players to add if we are having more kids in the line up.so im thinking this is false.Unless we are gutting the whole team.

Plenty of kids still need some seasoning I imagine. Better to let them develop on a decent AHL team than get called up to a losing NHL team.

Rypien37

Aug 20, 2013
Lucic + 2nd for a 7th.

Get a Vancouver guy (who could turn it around IMO - worst case LTIR in a few years) + a high 2nd.

Nooooo thank you. We already have a bad contract here in Eriksson and Lucics contract is worse lol. 2-3 years remaining is okay.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
How is this not tampering? They're essentially leaking potential contract details to a player currently under contract through "sources" and "speculation."

It depends on what the speculation is based on. If it's based on the team's need (i.e. defence), then this just looks like Friedman speculating on what highly sought after UFA dmen are available that would demand a lot of money (Carlson is the only one that comes to mind).

I like this from a Canucks fan point of view. Although I highly doubt that Carlson would sign this type of contract. Why leave potentially ~20 million on the table when an injury could end his career in those 3 seasons? Especially for a non-contender or bubble team at best. But if the Canucks pulled this off, it would be huge. They could flip the player on the last year deal and get a Shattenkirk-like return. But once again, not going to happen.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The Nucks would not be a basement team if they added Carlson, Dahlin and possibly more

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
According to Sportsnet 650 and Elliot Freidman, the Canucks will dangle a different approach this summer when it comes to free agency.

Apparently they are prepared to overpay a UFA player as long as the term is short. 3 yrs or under.

Speculation is that the mystery player is John Carlson and the offer would be 10mil/yr for 3 yrs.

This would allow Carlsson to still be a UFA at a prime age of 31 in 3 yrs.

The Canucks of course have 14 mil coming off the books w. The Sedins retiring.

The Canucks have gone on record saying they are going to be looking at UFAs that can help with the development of the young prospects that are about to take over the team.

The blue line is theyre biggest hole so its no surprise they would be targetting Carlsson.

Doesn’t make sense for a guy like Carlson inl as he’s prepared to move onto another team 3 years later. Nhlers are more old school. Don’t like To move around too much, especially the good players.

Basically, what Elliotte is saying is that instead of giving eriksson 6 years at $6 million per sign the contract to match the cash payout, which for eriksson would be $28 million for the first 4 years and if you add his signing bonus of $3 million to start year 5, it would be a $31 million 4 year sea to get a cap hit of $7.75 million.

This type of sea doesn’t work for the higher end players. More for the mid level who at more prepar d to change teams to maximize earnings.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Plenty of kids still need some seasoning I imagine. Better to let them develop on a decent AHL team than get called up to a losing NHL team.
Where in next seasons line up,beside the 2 spots open do you see where we can take on contracts.

Leipsic-Horvat-Boeser
Beartschi-???-Pettersson
Grandlund-Sutter-Eriksson
Ganger--Gaunce---Virtannin
Motte,,Gaudette,Dowd,ect

And our defense is a total mess but Benning thinks that they all play like Bobby Orr.Juolivie will take Huttons spot.

Tanev ,,Edler
Delzotto,,Stecher
Gudbranson,Juolivie
Beiga,,Sautner

So unless we are dumping a ton of guys,,i dont see any room for us to take on bad contracts....

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Also note,

Friedman mentions the Canucks are also looking into obtaining bad contracts in exchange for assets and or draft picks.
Canucks, welcome Home Lucic! Oilers will give up our 2nd rounder and 3rd rounder for this year.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Players with big contracts that run over 2-3 years are not what we are looking for. If you’re asking to dump this and offering 2nds and nothing prospects just go into your bedroom, hand your head in shame for pure stupidity!
Imho I’d rather play footsies with those teams making them think I’ll take those guys so they overspend on someone else and continue their bad cap management and then just continue on the rebuild train.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It depends on what the speculation is based on. If it's based on the team's need (i.e. defence), then this just looks like Friedman speculating on what highly sought after UFA dmen are available that would demand a lot of money (Carlson is the only one that comes to mind).

I like this from a Canucks fan point of view. Although I highly doubt that Carlson would sign this type of contract. Why leave potentially ~20 million on the table when an injury could end his career in those 3 seasons? Especially for a non-contender or bubble team at best. But if the Canucks pulled this off, it would be huge. They could flip the player on the last year deal and get a Shattenkirk-like return. But once again, not going to happen.

Right, completely agree. That's my question. The OP didn't post an article or a soundbite so it's hard to tell what it's based on. If it's just talking heads being talking heads then there's nothing to see here, but if the Canucks told people what their strategy would be and the "speculation" is Friedman repeating what an organizational source leaked to him (or to another source) then that's a different story, I would think?

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Probably the worst contract in the league.
Um, the Canucks already have one much much worse right now in Eriksson. At least Lucic got over 24 points with the Oilers lol.
Oilers will be able to LTIR him easy in the future. It is known he is a degenerative back issue that will get worse until we LTIR him. If Hossa can get LTIR due to alergies to hockey equipment, the Oilers will be able to LTIR Lucic.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Okay so lets say this is Carlson we are talking about. Here are the issues as I see it:
  • As the most highly sought after UFA D man this off season do you really want to sign a short term deal (2 or 3 years) for higher AAV and then renegotiate a new contract in said years?. The contracts are guaranteed which means if he is given an 8 year (by Wash or by sign and trade) he get paid regardless if he has a career ending after one game of the new contract. I likely see him getting 8X8 or more potentially. If it is a 3X10 that is 34 Million you could be leaving on the table. Yes he could renegotiate another massive deal after the new CBA but you are playing a very dangerous game;
  • You have spent the bulk of your career playing for a perennial SC contender with the Caps, you want to go to a rebuilding club-Yes I get they could be very good in a hurry but there are a lot of holes;
  • If it is just a short term thing do you really want to uproot your family for 2/3 years in Vancouver and then to a new local for the next contract.
  • Yes he will only be 31 but team are becoming more and more Leary about handing out massive contracts to 30+ year old players. What if he slows down. Maybe that big payday you envision is now suddenly and 5/6 year deal at a lower AAV.

Just saying each coin has two sides to it. It not all sunshine and lollipops if he were to try something like this.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Players with big contracts that run over 2-3 years are not what we are looking for. If you’re asking to dump this and offering 2nds and nothing prospects just go into your bedroom, hand your head in shame for pure stupidity!
Imho I’d rather play footsies with those teams making them think I’ll take those guys so they overspend on someone else and continue their bad cap management and then just continue on the rebuild train.
If the cap does jump into the $80-$82 mill range probably just see teams buyout the guys with 1 year left like Orpik. Unless you can both unload a multi year bad contract and are right near the cap with players to sign, it makes more sense to simply buy the player out.

Canucks likely missed out using cap space in trades since they went out and signed guys like eriksson, mdz, vanek, and others thwere past 2 years.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Okay so lets say this is Carlson we are talking about. Here are the issues as I see it:
  • As the most highly sought after UFA D man this off season do you really want to sign a short term deal (2 or 3 years) for higher AAV and then renegotiate a new contract in said years?. The contracts are guaranteed which means if he is given an 8 year (by Wash or by sign and trade) he get paid regardless if he has a career ending after one game of the new contract. I likely see him getting 8X8 or more potentially. If it is a 3X10 that is 34 Million you could be leaving on the table. Yes he could renegotiate another massive deal after the new CBA but you are playing a very dangerous game;
  • You have spent the bulk of your career playing for a perennial SC contender with the Caps, you want to go to a rebuilding club-Yes I get they could be very good in a hurry but there are a lot of holes;
  • If it is just a short term thing do you really want to uproot your family for 2/3 years in Vancouver and then to a new local for the next contract.
  • Yes he will only be 31 but team are becoming more and more Leary about handing out massive contracts to 30+ year old players. What if he slows down. Maybe that big payday you envision is now suddenly and 5/6 year deal at a lower AAV.

Just saying each coin has two sides to it. It not all sunshine and lollipops if he were to try something like this.

Agree completely, I don't see this working out for Vancouver. No reason for Carlson to leave tens of millions of dollars on the table in the case of a career-ending injury. The only time it would make sense is if he did a one year contract for a contender, like what Hossa did with Detroit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad