Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Jannik Hansen to 4-Year, $10m Extension ($2.5m AAV w/ LNTC)

arsmaster*

The master of the extension strikes again. If there is one thing he gets right every time it's extensions.

Surprised Hansen left as much money on the table as he did. Great deal for Vancouver.

Stoked.

Betamax*

I put a lot of the blame on Luongo for tying GMMG's hands throughout a lot of the time.

I would agree with you back in 2012 when Burke was still the GM of the Leafs and apparently had the framework for a deal ... where Bobby Lu is alleged to have stalled the process in his efforts to go to a Florida based team instead. But once the new CBA was agreed upon and Bobby Lu experienced what it was like to be a back-up for the first time in his pro career, he was pretty much open to go anywhere ... and it was GMMG's obligation to read the market to know that there wasn't much of a market for Bobby Lu in getting significant assets back and he should have just got rid rid of the contract by the 2013 trade deadline by virtually any means necessary even if it was for literally nothing back in return.

I would have been okay, if it was for a conditional pick where the Canucks only received compensation if the Leafs or some other team only gave a draft pick back if the team he was traded to won a Playoffs round in the first two seasons he was traded there and there would be compensation back from the Canucks (in terms of draft picks) if that team somehow felt they needed to compliance buy out Bobby Lu in the 2014 off-season.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Was expecting 3 to 3.5 million aav since that's what most players in Hansen's ppg range get. Amazing deal.

Outside99*

I give GMMG a mulligan on the Luongo deal since Burkie got his fingers in the CBA pie and had the Luongo Rule passed which really made it tough to move Luongo as a first option.

Welcome back Wetcoaster.

Right you are but I did say genius, not seer which he would have needed to be to predict that the league would implement the Luongo rule retroactively.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
and he should have just got rid rid of the contract by the 2013 trade deadline by virtually any means necessary even if it was for literally nothing back in return.
Seems like the holdup was the last minute demands by Nonis for the Canucks to retain salary. I wouldn't make that deal. That *is* less than nothing.

HiggsBroson

Feb 2, 2010
remind me why players like higgins and probably hansen get NTC's?
this stinks of calgary's situation

You submit a list of teams you don't want to get traded too. I believe it's more or less about half the teams in the league. If a GM wants to make a deal with a player making an AAV of 2.5 I believe it can be easily done.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I would agree with you back in 2012 when Burke was still the GM of the Leafs and apparently had the framework for a deal ... where Bobby Lu is alleged to have stalled the process in his efforts to go to a Florida based team instead. But once the new CBA was agreed upon and Bobby Lu experienced what it was like to be a back-up for the first time in his pro career, he was pretty much open to go anywhere ... and it was GMMG's obligation to read the market to know that there wasn't much of a market for Bobby Lu in getting significant assets back and he should have just got rid rid of the contract by the 2013 trade deadline by virtually any means necessary even if it was for literally nothing back in return.

I would have been okay, if it was for a conditional pick where the Canucks only received compensation if the Leafs or some other team only gave a draft pick back if the team he was traded to won a Playoffs round in the first two seasons he was traded there and there would be compensation back from the Canucks (in terms of draft picks) if that team somehow felt they needed to compliance buy out Bobby Lu in the 2014 off-season.

If it would've been so easy to get rid of Luongo without taking salary back in return at the deadline then why wasn't it done in the offseason? The fact is that once the recapture rules came into effect no one wanted Luongo even for free. I don't know why you assume he could've been moved even for a conditional pick without some serious salary coming back or being retained.

It's pretty clear what happened at the deadline. Nonis negotiated in bad faith by agreeing in principle to a deal and then coming back at the last minute and demanding salary retention which was a non-starter for the Canucks.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
[us] ---------> [good news]

-------> = pissing all over it by bickering about gillies and luongo and nonis and god knows what else. people, please attempt to refrain from wrecking every thread. i'll make you a blog to post in. a separate individual blog for everyone one of you bunny burners.

nmain37*

Excellent news. I would of been happy getting him at 3.0 to 3.5 million but this is just a bonus. Say what you want about Gillis' trade history but he does know how to broker a good deal.

Al Swearengen

Smug Nation National
Mar 29, 2010
NICE. ONE. GILLIS.
That's a million less than what I thought he'd get, and for four years!? Great stuff.

Wetcoaster

Ben Kuzma ‏@benkuzma 3m
Tortorella on Hansen: "He needs to understand a bit how we play defence, but has impressed me. I can use him in a lot of different spots."

Betamax*

If it would've been so easy to get rid of Luongo without taking salary back in return at the deadline then why wasn't it done in the offseason? The fact is that once the recapture rules came into effect no one wanted Luongo even for free. I don't know why you assume he could've been moved even for a conditional pick without some serious salary coming back or being retained.

The last opportunity GMMG had to realistically deal Bobby Lu for anything of value was during the 2013 Trade Deadline ... when teams love to "load" up for the Playoffs or try to get there in the first place. Look at the Canucks when they went for Roy. Short term thinking/gratification for the here and now.

GMMG had to find some way to get rid of the contract then. During the off-season, I believe a lot of teams were hoping that the Canucks would have been "forced" to compliance buy out Bobby Lu and they would have taken their chances of landing him as a UFA.

It's pretty clear what happened at the deadline. Nonis negotiated in bad faith by agreeing in principle to a deal and then coming back at the last minute and demanding salary retention which was a non-starter for the Canucks.

It's very well possible that Nonis was just toying with the Canucks. But the fact that GMMG was saying there was "multiple" teams realistically interested in Bobby Lu during this time period seems more grounded in fantasy rather than reality.

Last edited by a moderator:

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Ben Kuzma ‏@benkuzma 3m
Tortorella on Hansen: "He needs to understand a bit how we play defence, but has impressed me. I can use him in a lot of different spots."

He's talked bad about every player I think. And I'm not as excited for this signing as most. The guy has never scored 20. This is about right where he should be.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
And the player agent who scored that monster deal for Holik?

None other than Mike Gillis.

For the nitty gritty and how top player agents operate check out this ESPN excerpt from "Money Players: How Hockey's Greatest Stars Beat the NHL at Its Own Game," by Bruce Dowbiggin.

See - Money Players: The Education of Bobby Holik which gives a terrific insight into the mind and style of Mike Gillis.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1840485

Great read. Thanks for the link!

Wetcoaster

He's talked bad about every player I think. And I'm not as excited for this signing as most. The guy has never scored 20. This is about right where he should be.
But he also said...

Torts on Hansen - "He’s impressed me because I know I can use him in a lot of different spots. PP, PK - he's versatile."

Hansen on the PP???

Wetcoaster

Ben Kuzma ‏@benkuzma 49s
Hansen on his four-year, $10 million US contract extension: "It's exactly what I wanted. I've never hidden that I like it here."

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
But he also said...

Torts on Hansen - "He’s impressed me because I know I can use him in a lot of different spots. PP, PK - he's versatile."

Hansen on the PP???

It's never been tried (for an extended amount of time).

I look forward to Hansen's 50 point season. :nod:

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
But he also said...

Hansen on the PP???

Should be an interesting experiment. Can't be any worse than some of the PP experiments we've seen on the 2nd unit in recent years...

Outside99*

Being honest about players is one of Torts' better qualities if you ask me. Too many players get hyped here when in fact they're dragging the team down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad