Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Jannik Hansen to 4-Year, $10m Extension ($2.5m AAV w/ LNTC)

yoss

May 25, 2011
Problem with 20 Hansens is the team would lose every face off and probably give a ton of breakaway/scoring chances due to back skating skills or lack of since Hansen isn't really a dman. :laugh:

Yes but I'm assuming the correct ratio of Hansen's would have grown up playing D over their hockey career, however the team would certainly be lacking in size at the back end. Face offs would be a problem also, I'll give you that.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
At the worst he's very easy to trade if the team continues their terrible performance of the last 2 seasons.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
This is where we see the true value of that Chris Higgins deal. Setting the benchmark for his linemate Hansen playing a similar role.

And the best part, is we can now play Hansen with the Twins as needed, without worrying that the extra points he puts up will inflate his UFA salary demands. :nod:

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Amazing contract! I thought he'd get 3.5M. Good on Hansen for taking less to stay here. Honey Badger really don't care about the money.

Also interesting that when he took the Canucks to arbitration a few years ago, he said it was never about the money but just the security of a multi-year deal IIRC.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Anyone else think that Hansen signed for so cheap because of what he saw happened to Mason Raymond?

I am 100% sure this is the case.
How can you be 100% sure unless you're Hansen?

There's no doubt that Hansen wanted security, Hansen admitted as much. With that said, Hansen probably did look around and figure that with uncertain offensive production that while he probably would get more as a UFA ($3M a year) it simply made more sense to have the security and sign with the only NHL team he knows.

I do disagree with people calling him a fringe 2nd liner. Maybe he takes that next step this year but as of now he's carved out a niche as a 3rd line player with the tools to slot into the top 6 in a pinch.
Hansen is a fringe 2nd line player but that's no slight on him because he is a valuable top 9 player in the NHL. The days of having a top 6 and bottom 6 is pretty much gone. It's all about the top 9 now and teams now need guys like Hansen who doesn't traditionally fit in as 2nd line players but has the skill and defensive ability to slide up and down the lineup.

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
Hansen is a fringe 2nd line player but that's no slight on him because he is a valuable top 9 player in the NHL. The days of having a top 6 and bottom 6 is pretty much gone. It's all about the top 9 now and teams now need guys like Hansen who doesn't traditionally fit in as 2nd line players but has the skill and defensive ability to slide up and down the lineup.

The fact that he's 99th in the NHL in points per 60 mins for a forward says that he'd actually be a 2nd liner on most NHL teams. He's just never really been given the opportunity in Vancouver because he's such a great 3rd liner, and we've generally had a pretty stacked top 6.

Wouldn't it be funny if he ended up being that elusive 2nd line scorer we've been looking for the past few years? Right there. Pinned to the 3rd line.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
The fact that he's 99th in the NHL in points per 60 mins for a forward says that he'd actually be a 2nd liner on most NHL teams. He's just never really been given the opportunity in Vancouver because he's such a great 3rd liner, and we've generally had a pretty stacked top 6.

Wouldn't it be funny if he ended up being that elusive 2nd line scorer we've been looking for the past few years? Right there. Pinned to the 3rd line.

Kind of like Burrows, it took a 10 game losing streak to get him with the Sedins. I am not convinced that Hansen cannot play the PP. He actually has a okay one timer however with the way Torts viewed Hagman in NY he might not get a chance to grow into that role. Hansen should be with Kesler on the second line as he is either the 4th or 5th forward overall. Would love Booth, or Kassian to prove that wrong.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The fact that he's 99th in the NHL in points per 60 mins for a forward says that he'd actually be a 2nd liner on most NHL teams.
Huh?

He's just never really been given the opportunity in Vancouver because he's such a great 3rd liner, and we've generally had a pretty stacked top 6.
Again... huh? Finding suitable linemates for Kesler has been a problem for years. Stacked to 6? I don't think so.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON

There are 180 Top 6 forwards in the NHL. Hansen ranks 99th in points per 60 minutes of ES play. He ranked 59th if not accounting for ice-time.

Doesn't matter how you slice it, he produces like a legitimate 2nd liner on a contender should.

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
There are 180 Top 6 forwards in the NHL. Hansen ranks 99th in points per 60 minutes of ES play. He ranked 59th if not accounting for ice-time.

Doesn't matter how you slice it, he produces like a legitimate 2nd liner on a contender should.

And he's not only producing like a solid 2nd liner. He's doing it with 3rd line linemates, 3rd line minutes, and almost no powerplay time! It's nice to see Torts giving him a stint with the Sedins, as it might show that he'll finally get an opportunity to produce like he may be capable of.

This contract that he signed might make him into the next Burrows, who signed his deal before breaking out with the Sedins, and turning into the best bargain in the league at $2m.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Mike Gillis walks into the room, a sheen of morning dew awash his face. He is wearing a rumpled sweatsuit, ready to hit the gym when business is finished. Jannik Hansen is already seated. He's wearing a Christmas sweater and corduroy pants. Jannik smiles widely.

"Hello Jannik. Why don't you take a seat"

"I'm already seated? (awkward laugh) Uh, hi Mike..." (Jannik voice squeaks when he says 'Mike'.)

"No, please, call me Mr. Gillis. I insist"

"I --"

A look of alarm bordering on bewilderment begins to creep across Jannik's previously calm face. This isn't what he expected at all; it's nothing like what Daniel told him would happen

"Yes?" Gillis looks like a ravenous-but-overfed wolf.

"Noth -- nothing, Mike. Mr. Gillis. Where's my agent? You said he'd be --"

"You don't trust me?" Gillis's eyes are inky black. They gleam as he leans forward and places his hands on the desk.

"You really should trust me, Jannik. I have the best wishes of the family at heart. You're part of the family aren't you?" His eyes are an oilspill, Jannik a fledgling seabird struggling to free himself.

"Of course I do? I mean of course I do." He catches himself and hastily adds a "Mr. Gillis" to the end of his sentence.

"Good. That's real good, Jannik. Here's Chris Higgins contract. Sign here."

"My agent and Daniel told me I should get more. I like Chris, but I am a better player, and younger."

"You don't hug as much."

"What --"

"Chris hugs everybody. People like that. He has a beard. He's very taciturn when he's not hugging people, which makes his hugs that much more meaningful. That's worth something."

"I don't understand."

"Let's talk about something else, Jannik. You had twins recently?"

"Yes!" palpable relief etches on Jannik's face.

"You named one Daniel?"

"Yes, after my best friend, and mentor, Daniel Sedin."

"And the other is named?" Gillis's oilspill eyes are now on fire. Jannik stops struggling, his shoulders slumped.

"Lucas."

He's mumbling now. Gillis presses a button on his phone and speaks quietly. Jannik hears the words "send him in now" but is too dejected to pay attention. When he looks up, he sees that Henrik Sedin has entered the room. He is inexplicably wearing his Captain's jersey. He sits beside Jannik. Uncomfortably close. He smells like Jannik remembers, like hard iron. There is something unwell about Henrik. Henrik stares at him with cold, discerning eyes. Jannik begins to feel a sour knot in his stomach.

Several uncomfortable minutes pass before Henrik speaks:

"Sign."

"My agent --"

"Sign." Same inflection.

"Daniel told me --"

Henrik cuffs Jannik not lightly behind the ear.

"Ow! What the -- that hurt!" He touches his head gingerly. "I'm seening stars here..."

The previously quiet Gillis intercedes:

"No, Jannik. You're seeing STAR. And its name is Henrik."

Jannik sighs and signs the contract.

Gillis embraces him warmly.

"Call me Mike."

/Scene

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
Mike Gillis walks into the room, a sheen of morning dew awash his face. He is wearing a rumpled sweatsuit, ready to hit the gym when business is finished. Jannik Hansen is already seated. He's wearing a Christmas sweater and corduroy pants. Jannik smiles widely.

"Hello Jannik. Why don't you take a seat"

"I'm already seated? (awkward laugh) Uh, hi Mike..." (Jannik voice squeaks when he says 'Mike'.)

"No, please, call me Mr. Gillis. I insist"

"I --"

A look of alarm bordering on bewilderment begins to creep across Jannik's previously calm face. This isn't what he expected at all; it's nothing like what Daniel told him would happen

"Yes?" Gillis looks like a ravenous-but-overfed wolf.

"Noth -- nothing, Mike. Mr. Gillis. Where's my agent? You said he'd be --"

"You don't trust me?" Gillis's eyes are inky black. They gleam as he leans forward and places his hands on the desk.

"You really should trust me, Jannik. I have the best wishes of the family at heart. You're part of the family aren't you?" His eyes are an oilspill, Jannik a fledgling seabird struggling to free himself.

"Of course I do? I mean of course I do." He catches himself and hastily adds a "Mr. Gillis" to the end of his sentence.

"Good. That's real good, Jannik. Here's Chris Higgins contract. Sign here."

"My agent and Daniel told me I should get more. I like Chris, but I am a better player, and younger."

"You don't hug as much."

"What --"

"Chris hugs everybody. People like that. He has a beard. He's very taciturn when he's not hugging people, which makes his hugs that much more meaningful. That's worth something."

"I don't understand."

"Let's talk about something else, Jannik. You had twins recently?"

"Yes!" palpable relief etches on Jannik's face.

"You named one Daniel?"

"Yes, after my best friend, and mentor, Daniel Sedin."

"And the other is named?" Gillis's oilspill eyes are now on fire. Jannik stops struggling, his shoulders slumped.

"Lucas."

He's mumbling now. Gillis presses a button on his phone and speaks quietly. Jannik hears the words "send him in now" but is too dejected to pay attention. When he looks up, he sees that Henrik Sedin has entered the room. He is inexplicably wearing his Captain's jersey. He sits beside Jannik. Uncomfortably close. He smells like Jannik remembers, like hard iron. There is something unwell about Henrik. Henrik stares at him with cold, discerning eyes. Jannik begins to feel a sour knot in his stomach.

Several uncomfortable minutes pass before Henrik speaks:

"Sign."

"My agent --"

"Sign." Same inflection.

"Daniel told me --"

Henrik cuffs Jannik not lightly behind the ear.

"Ow! What the -- that hurt!" He touches his head gingerly. "I'm seening stars here..."

The previously quiet Gillis intercedes:

"No, Jannik. You're seeing STAR. And its name is Henrik."

Jannik sighs and signs the contract.

Gillis embraces him warmly.

"Call me Mike."

/Scene

conan-rofl.gif

GOLD!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad