Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Jannik Hansen to 4-Year, $10m Extension ($2.5m AAV w/ LNTC)

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Anyone else think that Hansen signed for so cheap because of what he saw happened to Mason Raymond?

I am 100% sure this is the case.

Wetcoaster

Anyone else think that Hansen signed for so cheap because of what he saw happened to Mason Raymond?

That is the sort of risk to which I was referring in my post above on contract extensions.

Think Steve Moore - once his contract expired at the end of the season he was on his own.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華

Eh, not at all. Raymond is a soft, perimeter skill player not many teams would have on the lineup. Hansen is a smart, gritty and feisty player that can play anywhere in the lineup in any situation. Barring debilitating injury, Jannik will never worry about finding a place in the league.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam

maybe but he shouldn't think that way. Hes twice the player Raymond is and GMs would be licking their chops if he became available. I think he just likes it here.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Maybe, maybe not. It depends how the Canucks structure their coverage from the NHL's insurer. Not all contracts are covered.

Players like Hansen often are self-insured by teams who choose to cover higher value contracts.

From what I've read, it's only the high value, long contracts that haven't been eligible to be covered by NHL insurance. Contracts like Hansen's would be covered automatically.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
maybe but he shouldn't think that way. Hes twice the player Raymond is and GMs would be licking their chops if he became available. I think he just likes it here.

Saw his interview it may have played a role, but Hansen definitely likes it here. Good though, he was one of the prospects I followed closely during the Grabner days with the Moose good that at least he made it.

Like I said you look at our recent drafts and compare it to the Drafts Nonis had with (Scheider, Edler, Hansen, Grabner, Raymond..), Nonis wasn't a bad drafter at all IMO. Keep in mind we never did have a high pick in those days as well, Luc Boudon IMO was going to be a good top 4 defencemen but alas he passed away.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004

But dial back a few years, and it looked like 25 goal scorer Raymond was going to have a long career as a top six winger.

Wetcoaster

From what I've read, it's only the high value, long contracts that haven't been eligible to be covered by NHL insurance. Contracts like Hansen's would be covered automatically.
That is not the case.

High value long-term deals can be covered but there is a cap of 7 years on term. That was the sticking point with Eric Staal's deal with the Canes a couple of years back.

The NHL's insurance plan insures player contracts for seven years, and "beyond that, if the player gets hurt, the team is on the hook for the full amount of his contract," according to Luke DeCock of the Raleigh NEWS & OBSERVER. As part of the plan, which the NHL purchases through New York-based insurance broker BWD Group, NHL teams are "required to insure a handful of players through a 'temporary total disability' program administered by the league." Each team "pays a premium based on the salaries of its five highest-paid players, but is free to allocate that coverage how it wishes." NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said that "typically, a team will extend coverage to as many as seven players." Insurance coverage "kicks in when a player misses at least 30 games," and insuring a player under the league program "costs about 5[%] of his salary."​
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...-Covers-Player-Contracts-For-Seven-Years.aspx

BTW another good reason to front load the initial years of a long term deal as the insurance is based on actual dollars paid and not the cap averaged number.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
What a contract! Happy to have Jannik for an additional 4 years and at that low cost.

That being said, I do disagree with people calling him a fringe 2nd liner. Maybe he takes that next step this year but as of now he's carved out a niche as a 3rd line player with the tools to slot into the top 6 in a pinch.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What a contract! Happy to have Jannik for an additional 4 years and at that low cost.

That being said, I do disagree with people calling him a fringe 2nd liner. Maybe he takes that next step this year but as of now he's carved out a niche as a 3rd line player with the tools to slot into the top 6 in a pinch.

He as many or more ES points last year as Zetterberg, Benn, Carter, Elias, Ryan, Couture, etc.

At 5-on-5, he's absolutely a top-6 forward. He was 52nd in the NHL in ES points last year - actually first-line numbers, if anything, in a league where there are 180 top-6 forwards. His style doesn't really translate to producing points on the PP, though.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
He as many or more ES points last year as Zetterberg, Benn, Carter, Elias, Ryan, Couture, etc.

At 5-on-5, he's absolutely a top-6 forward. He was 52nd in the NHL in ES points last year - actually first-line numbers, if anything, in a league where there are 180 top-6 forwards. His style doesn't really translate to producing points on the PP, though.

I do hope Torts gives him a good look on the 2nd unit PP though. He could fill the same role that Kesler has on the 1st unit PP. He has an underrated one-timer, shoots right, and can also battle like a dog in front of the net.

Waveburner

Sep 22, 2002
Great contract, Gillis extends another homegrown player for a discount. Really the only extension (other than the Luongo debacle) that hasn't looked liked a discount the moment it was signed was the most recent Burrows extension. And that's not even really a bad contract considering how much Burrows produces at ES playing with the twins and his elite PK work. This is definitely his greatest strength as a GM. The UFA signings have been a mixed bag, though definitely more good overall than bad.

Hansen doesn't even need to improve at all for this contract to remain fantastic.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Great contract, Gillis extends another homegrown player for a discount. Really the only extension (other than the Luongo debacle) that hasn't looked liked a discount the moment it was signed was the most recent Burrows extension. And that's not even really a bad contract considering how much Burrows produces at ES playing with the twins and his elite PK work. This is definitely his greatest strength as a GM. The UFA signings have been a mixed bag, though definitely more good overall than bad.

Hansen doesn't even need to improve at all for this contract to remain fantastic.

The thing with the Burrows contract was that he completely outperformed his 4yr 2M/yr deal by a fair margin. I feel like he's absolutely deserving of the $4.5M now, even though he likely won't outperform the deal much.

Jake

Feb 28, 2002
Oxford, UK
www.pseudoart.dk
Ak7Sc.jpg

Overjoyed I don't have to see Hansen on another NHL team in the near future! :)

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC

Cripes, well I certainly didn't realize that. I guess I take that back. Kudos for doing your homework.

Buffalo In A Carwash

Registered User?
Apr 10, 2012
Quesnel
Awesome deal. Pumped! I was expecting more like 3.5.

Annnnnd, if he works out with the Sedins on the first line, he won't get a huge contract due to inflated numbers.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Raymond got screwed by the cap dropping. Nobody had the money.

Hansen would be in much higher demand than Raymond, he'd have gotten paid even this year with the cap dropping.

Next year the cap is jumping 10% (potentially). That means big inflation. He's have cleaned up next year.

Great deal by Gillis, nice of Hansen to take a discount.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Maybe this will mean we'll stop seeing probably the 4th (or 5th, I wouldn't argue hard against that) best forward on the team dropped to the 4th line in so many peoples' prospective lineups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad