Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Jannik Hansen to 4-Year, $10m Extension ($2.5m AAV w/ LNTC)

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
this is the year Hansen should get 20 goals...he and Matt read are similar but Read already have an 20+ season already and a larger cap hit

King of the ES*

Hard to complain about this signing. Hansen's better than Higgins, today, and is also 3 years younger.

It still does make you wonder where any spots are going to open up for any young players. Practically the entire team has multi-year, active contracts with NTCs.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Truly a superb signing by MG.

One way to gauge value is to imagine what a team of 20 Jannik Hansens--or a club with 50 million (sub floor) cap hit plus goalies--would perform like. Advanced stats say it would be an elite 5 on 5 outfit. Not sure about the PP, but the PK would be pretty strong as well. Factor in that it will kick in a year from now, when the cap is expected to make a dramatic jump, and we have ourselves a prized asset, in his prime with no notable injury/risk history.:cheers:

I was sure he was steering for free agency. I would.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I definitely think the new CBA played into how reasonable this contract is. With the demise of the long term and front loaded deal (as well as some possible bad blood over the lockout) I suspect we'll see a shift of money from the mid-tier players like Hansen and back towards the stars like it was prior to the 2005 CBA.

In today's dollars, here's a comparison of what various players were making based on their leaguewide salary rankings in 2004 and 2013:

10th highest paid player (17% reduction):

03-04: $10.2 million
12-13: $8.5 million

20th highest paid player (17% reduction):

03-04: $9 million
12-13: $7.5 million

50th highest paid player (same salary):

03-04: $6 million
12-13: $6 million

100th highest paid player (9.5% increase)

03-04: $4.2 million
12-13: $4.6 million

250th highest paid player (58% increase):

03-04: $1.9 million
12-13: $3 million

Those middle earner players like Hansen saw their salaries explode in the last CBA as front loaded deals helped create a surplus of cap space around the league. Those days look to be over, at least until there's another big jump in the cap. I also imagine seeing a guy like Raymond who is only 6 months older than him have to fight for a crappy 1 year contract also played into the relative bargain deal he signed.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Truly a superb signing by MG.

One way to gauge value is to imagine what a team of 20 Jannik Hansens--or a club with 50 million (sub floor) cap hit plus goalies--would perform like. Advanced stats say it would be an elite 5 on 5 outfit. Not sure about the PP, but the PK would be pretty strong as well. Factor in that it will kick in a year from now, when the cap is expected to make a dramatic jump, and we have ourselves a prized asset, in his prime with no notable injury/risk history.:cheers:

I was sure he was steering for free agency. I would.

A team consisting of 20 Jannik Hansens?!? :amazed: My god that would utterly amazing, though sometimes frustrating team to watch.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Hard to complain about this signing. Hansen's better than Higgins, today, and is also 3 years younger.

It still does make you wonder where any spots are going to open up for any young players. Practically the entire team has multi-year, active contracts with NTCs.

It's important to note that Higgins and Hansen have limited no trade clauses as opposed to full ones. It makes them very movable, they just get a say in it.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
Great deal. I think Hansen is going to do really well under Torts. He's sort of a Callahan type player who works relentlessly. I think he'll see significant time in the top six.

Chubros

Dec 9, 2011
It's important to note that Higgins and Hansen have limited no trade clauses as opposed to full ones. It makes them very movable, they just get a say in it.

Depends on how limited the NTCs are. I bet Hansen's NTC says the team can trade him without his permission to any Danish NHL team.

Great signing though!

Outside99*

I definitely think the new CBA played into how reasonable this contract is. With the demise of the long term and front loaded deal (as well as some possible bad blood over the lockout) I suspect we'll see a shift of money from the mid-tier players like Hansen and back towards the stars like it was prior to the 2005 CBA.

In today's dollars, here's a comparison of what various players were making based on their leaguewide salary rankings in 2004 and 2013:

Those middle earner players like Hansen saw their salaries explode in the last CBA as front loaded deals helped create a surplus of cap space around the league. Those days look to be over, at least until there's another big jump in the cap. I also imagine seeing a guy like Raymond who is only 6 months older than him have to fight for a crappy 1 year contract also played into the relative bargain deal he signed.

Nah, the main factor is Hansen wanting security. He's now guaranteed 10x the money he was yesterday. That's a huge difference for a family man.

Dana Murzyn

Oct 5, 2005

Interesting. I remember people speculating that the hard cap would be bad for the "middle class". The superstars would continue to get big-money contracts, leaving everyone else to fight for scraps. Clearly didn't shake down that way.

School of WristShot

Jan 14, 2011
How the heck did Hansen took lower cap hit than Colin Greening?? I'm loving this deal!!!
Well done MG and thank you Hansen for taking a discount. :handclap:

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Chalk this up to creating a team here that wants to win and doesn't need "big money players" to do so. Great, great, great signing by Gillis. He could have easily gotten $3.75M+ on the open market.

EXCITED!

Betamax*

Oh no, another LNTC?!?!?!?!

I think pretty much any top nine forward or top 4 defenseman that are impending UFAs will at a minimum get a LTNC if not a full NTC or NMC for the top tier UFA signings.

Wetcoaster

Ben Kuzma ‏@benkuzma 1h
More Hansen on contract extension: "It was easy. It took a couple of days and it was done. The security overpowers not knowing (UFA)."

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Great deal for the 'nucks... can't believe Hansen's agent would even allow this. Hansen would get pretty big money in the open market next year due to the simple fact teams love to overpay and quality players like Hansen rarely actually hit the open market. On top of that, similar players to Hansen have been going for 3mil+

As far as offense goes, remember Hansen hasn't be given much PP time nor a lot of time in the top 6. Last year he was on a 47 point pace (only 1 PPP) splitting time between the 3rd line and the top 6. This year, he'll likely be given more time in the top 6 and more PP time meaning he'll likely get 50+ points.

This kinda remains me of the Burrows deal (except 2mil per over 4) where Burrows left money on the table to play with the twins. Now JT has said he wants to pair Kesler and Burrows together so does that mean Hansen will now be given the "Sedin" role? ZK's suspension doesn't really help his chance of playing the twins, which probably means either Burrows or Hansen will start the year with them.

Raymond has to fight for a contract due to health concerns and honestly lack of production. Raymond has great speed but for the most part, his hands never caught his feet and thus he was very inconsistent. Add to that he isn't a physical player, when he doesn't score, he isn't really a big asset. That said, Raymond could be a valuable 3rd liner in the right situation... problem was AV kept putting him in the wrong situation and wouldn't remove him from the 2nd line even if he should (i'm talking about the season before last) and continue to give Raymond pretty much a free pass. On top of that, when Raymond was finally click with JS last year, for whatever reason AV broke them up...

Hopefully Raymond finds some success with the Leafs because he is a good player when put in the right situation. He isn't really fit to play in the West either given how he always seems to lose weight over the course of the season so playing out West doesn't help him with that at all.

yoss

May 25, 2011
Love it. I think a team of 20 Hansens would have a legitimate shot at a Cup if they found a proper goalie. Think of that 4th line, Hansen-Hansen-Hansen, they'd destroy every other team's 4th line. Happy to hear they've locked him up for 4 years at what sounds like a steal of a price. Always was a fan of his game, brings great energy and tenacity pretty much night in night out on a consistent basis.

Wetcoaster

Some player agent insight on contract extensions.

Why do players sign a year early and often for a discount?

Think of it as long term disability insurance.

The usual rule in the CBA is that a contract extension does not kick in until its term commences - so July 1, 2014 in this case.

There is one exception - if a player has a future dated contract extension and suffers a serious long term or career ending injury during the final year of his current deal, the future contract remains in force for its entire term.

Per Article 50.5 (f) of the CBA:

(f) Contract Extensions.

(i) An "extension" of an SPC, as such term is used in this Agreement, shall mean a new SPC entered into between a Club and a Player, which SPC is to be effective immediately upon the expiration of the Club and Player's existing SPC. To the extent a Club and Player enter into a valid contract extension during the final year of the Player's SPC, the contract extension will be fully enforceable pursuant to its terms even in the event the Player is injured prior to the commencement date of the contract extension.
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA2012/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

So as legendary broadcaster Paul Harvey used to famously say:

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Love it. I think a team of 20 Hansens would have a legitimate shot at a Cup if they found a proper goalie. Think of that 4th line, Hansen-Hansen-Hansen, they'd destroy every other team's 4th line. Happy to hear they've locked him up for 4 years at what sounds like a steal of a price. Always was a fan of his game, brings great energy and tenacity pretty much night in night out on a consistent basis.

Problem with 20 Hansens is the team would lose every face off and probably give a ton of breakaway/scoring chances due to back skating skills or lack of since Hansen isn't really a dman. :laugh:

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Some player agent insight on contract extensions.

Why do players sign a year early and often for a discount?

Think of it as long term disability insurance.

The risk is low for teams, as well, since if the player is injured, it will be covered by insurance.

Wetcoaster

The risk is low for teams, as well, since if the player is injured, it will be covered by insurance.
Maybe, maybe not. It depends how the Canucks structure their coverage from the NHL's insurer. Not all contracts are covered.

Players like Hansen often are self-insured by teams who choose to cover higher value contracts.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
steal of a deal

wonder why they only managed to sign higgins to the same contract when hansen is clearly better

maybe honey badger really doesn't give a ****

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad