Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Jannik Hansen to 4-Year, $10m Extension ($2.5m AAV w/ LNTC)

Wetcoaster

Pass it to Bulis ‏@passittobulis 58s
The real question: how many more Unsung Hero awards can Jannik Hansen win? WIll he ever be sung? I say no.

Outside99*

Great news for all.

I have to say, when it comes to contracts, Gillis is brilliant.

Wetcoaster

Great news for all.

I have to say, when it comes to contracts, Gillis is brilliant.
I give GMMG a mulligan on the Luongo deal since Burkie got his fingers in the CBA pie and had the Luongo Rule passed which really made it tough to move Luongo as a first option.

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
Still hoping the day will come when the "practice all-star" makes the transition over to actual games. I already love Hansen, throw in some more offense and you have yourself a cornerstone player.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Still hoping the day will come when the "practice all-star" makes the transition over to actual games. I already love Hansen, throw in some more offense and you have yourself a cornerstone player.

He's been a half point per game player at even strength for the last 2 seasons. That's already 1st line production - I wouldn't expect more than that...

For Hansen to increase his point totals he will need to produce on the PP. I don't see that in his future, especially looking at the potential 2nd unit combinations.

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
He's been a half point per game player at even strength for the last 2 seasons. That's already 1st line production - I wouldn't expect more than that...

For Hansen to increase his point totals he will need to produce on the PP. I don't see that in his future, especially looking at the potential 2nd unit combinations.

Oh I know, and I'm pretty much satisfied with him offensively as it is. Just remarking on the fact that the players have said he's an offensive dynamo in practice.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Oh I know, and I'm pretty much satisfied with him offensively as it is. Just remarking on the fact that the players have said he's an offensive dynamo in practice.

That's just it, he IS an offensive dynamo at even strength. He just does it without a trace of flash and dash.

I don't think he's blowing anyone away in practice while on the PP...

Betamax*

I give GMMG a mulligan on the Luongo deal since Burkie got his fingers in the CBA pie and had the Luongo Rule passed which really made it tough to move Luongo as a first option.

I wouldn't be so generous. At the trade deadline, he still thought he could get 2 second rounders (plus a dime-a-dozen back-up) for him. He was obligated at that point in time to just get rid of the contract even if it was for a single draft pick ... whether it be a mid-round pick a 3rd or 4th rounder and be done with it. He over-played his hand on what the value he thought he could extract from trading Bobby Lu.

His trade record (or lack there of) has been very spotty but this has been mitigated in part by his ability to re-sign roster players, previously the Sedins, and others like The Cory Schneider and most recently it seems, this Hansen deal to contracts that have or will provide good "value" for the team.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
:amazed:

Great deal. I didn't think there was a chance in hell he signed for under $3 million/year.

Should probably fire his agent because he would have received at least $4 million/year as an UFA.

I'm sure his agent told him that. The dude named one of his kids after Daniel, didn't he? I doubt he had any inclination to leave. One of the benefits of having outstanding people as the leaders on the team, I guess.

Wetcoaster

Wow. Hansen takes a huge discount. Great job by Gillis to get him signed to the Higgins contract!
Solidifies the third line wingers "going forward" and both can move up if needed. Fast, defensively responsible and some offensive upside.

Now if GMMG can only find a third line centre to play with them...

Wetcoaster

I wouldn't be so generous. At the trade deadline, he still thought he could get 2 second rounders (plus a dime-a-dozen back-up) for him. He was obligated at that point in time to just get rid of the contract even if it was for a single draft pick ... whether it be a mid-round pick a 3rd or 4th rounder and be done with it. He over-played his hand on what the value he thought he could extract from trading Bobby Lu.

His trade record (or lack there of) has been very spotty but this has been mitigated in part by his ability to re-sign roster players, previously the Sedins, and others like The Cory Schneider and most recently it seems, this Hansen deal to contracts that have or will provide good "value" for the team.
I put a lot of the blame on Luongo for tying GMMG's hands throughout a lot of the time.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
my fear was that hansen would "bobby holik" his career and go from massively underrated to massively underperforming (relative to his contract) overnight. but this is contract isn't just a HUGE relief, it's more than anyone could have expected for a bcs.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Absolutely fantastic signing for one of the hardest working players on the team. Great team player and the dollar value reflects this.

Hopefully, we'll be pleasantly surprized by future twin signings as well.
*fingers crossed*

BTW, Mr. Canucklehead - great guess! Perhaps palm reading is in your future...:sarcasm:

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Solidifies the third line wingers "going forward" and both can move up if needed. Fast, defensively responsible and some offensive upside.

Or some 2nd line talent good enough to keep them on the 3rd line...

Hansen will likely be a 2nd line RW from here on out. I don't see any conceivable way Zach Kassian pushes Hansen down the depth chart for a sustained period of time, especially when you consider Tortorella's up-tempo forechecking system.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver

Indeed. It's unfortunate Manny's eye was injured. He would have been perfect for that spot until Horvat is ready for the show.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I understand your point, but this type of statement really bothers me. If there's a really good player out there on the trade market, you have to give something up to acquire that type of player.

If Hansen got a NTC, it's difficult to stomach beacuse it means almost our entire core group will have one. That makes it very difficult to make changes or to upgrade your roster.

That said, I think $10/million over 4 years is excellent value for Hansen, who is an emerging player. I can live with a NTC for that value and this player. I don't like the Higgings contract, but this is a good deal for Hansen

I feel the exact same way.

No the right thread for it necessarily, but I don't share this sentiment. If you look at the free agent market, even with a deflated cap, some 4th liners were getting more money than Higgins. I just think Higgins is a low maintenance pro who does whatever the coaching staff asks, even if it isn't the ideal fit.

Full NTC's I'm not a big fan of because Gillis has said he won't approach those players to move them. But these guys with the LNTC's are a different story for me -- they're basically just adding for a "soft landing" provision in the event the team does want to move them, which is completely fair to get them under market value.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Freakin' awesome contract. Hansen is as good of a 3rd liner as you could hope for.

He still has scoring upside and I definitely think he can crack 50 points if given consistent top-six time.

If Bickel got 4 million, Hansen could have been looking at that much on the open market. Great deal.

Wetcoaster

my fear was that hansen would "bobby holik" his career and go from massively underrated to massively underperforming (relative to his contract) overnight. but this is contract isn't just a HUGE relief, it's more than anyone could have expected for a bcs.
And the player agent who scored that monster deal for Holik?

None other than Mike Gillis.

For the nitty gritty and how top player agents operate check out this ESPN excerpt from "Money Players: How Hockey's Greatest Stars Beat the NHL at Its Own Game," by Bruce Dowbiggin.

See - Money Players: The Education of Bobby Holik which gives a terrific insight into the mind and style of Mike Gillis.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1840485

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Hansen is probably a better even strength player than Kesler. Hopefully those 2 can find some chemistry together, because they're on a crash course to play with one another a lot over the next few years.

When they're both healthy, Hansen is not in Kesler's class at all in my opinion. He's good, but that seems like a bit of an overstatement.

That said, Hansen has shown a real propensity for staying healthy (knock on wood) which is no small thing. Love this deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad