Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII - As featured in Episode 3 of Amazon's "FACEOFF: Inside the NHL

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 57 20.6%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 77 27.8%
  • Trade

Votes: 143 51.6%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
One could make the argument that we're beating a dead horse here.

So be it. Discuss, if you so choose. We'll keep all the Swayman talk contained to this thread.

If you have nothing meaningful to contribute to the conversation, move along.

We will not have this devolve into thread hijacking and flaming of other posters.

@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

Last edited:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
what do you make of all these "fans" being so nasty and disparaging to Swayman for a contrct negotiation?
I think everyone is entitled to an opinion and no one is wrong because if you ask someone their opinion and it is truly what they believe, then they are correct because that is their opinion.

Also, in one way or another, fans are paying money, in some cases big money, so they can express their feelings any way they wish. My suggestion: if you don't agree with what they are saying, respectfully disagree and move along. No one is changing someone else's opinion.

But honestly, I can't believe how far this discussion has gone. I respect the passion, but if this is all that worries anyone in life, I want to switch spots. I am a very patient person. Nothing I can say or do is going to change how this negotiation ends. I will wait until it does and then break it all down. I've learned a lot these last couple of months. Even at 63, I am still learning. But I'm not gonna waste my time on a chat board pounding the table trying to convince anyone to accept my opinion.

Life is too short.

You asked.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Wait…if Poitras and Lohrei have great years and look like the future cornerstones they could be, shouldn’t we give them what they want? Or is all this huffing and puffing just about one player?
Maybe on their third contract like Swayman yea go ahead. If poitras goes 20-50-70 I’m fine w getting him big money before. Lohrei too.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
I think everyone is entitled to an opinion and no one is wrong because if you ask someone their opinion and it is truly what they believe, then they are correct because that is their opinion.

Also, in one way or another, fans are paying money, in some cases big money, so they can express their feelings any way they wish. My suggestion: if you don't agree with what they are saying, respectfully disagree and move along. No one is changing someone else's opinion.

But honestly, I can't believe how far this discussion has gone. I respect the passion, but if this is all that worries anyone in life, I want to switch spots. I am a very patient person. Nothing I can say or do is going to change how this negotiation ends. I will wait until it does and then break it all down. I've learned a lot these last couple of months. Even at 63, I am still learning. But I'm not gonna waste my time on a chat board pounding the table trying to convince anyone to accept my opinion.

Life is too short.

You asked.
I appreciate it. The thing is though I don’t think this bothers anyone here on a personal level. Debating is fun. People can do it with character assassination or so I thought

Those guys all took less than what Bostons offering, no?
They all went ELC to max deals. Point is RFA means nothing anyone. If you’re going to hop into a convo please at least follow along

Last edited:

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Bulldog on the ice, Cupcake off the ice. His agent totally failed in prepping him for arbitration, or he let this happen so that he could play the Jerry Macguire BS and be the hero.
The B's did him a solid by only taking the 1 year judgement, knowing they wanted to throw money at him in what would be an "actual" bridge deal to the forever deal.

Every homegrown star, Bergy, March, Pasta, Mac, Carlo to a lesser degree, understood this and got paid what the market said a player their performance and experience warranted. Certain guys took less, that's a personal choice. Pasta and Mac certainly got paid based on relative performance/market.

Swayman wants to jump the line, before the cement of his "stud-dom" has dried.

Last edited:
Reactions: DKH

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
How many people were just saying they still take Vasi over Swayman just yesterday for a series right now? Some well thought of posters.

Incidentally those 1 Goal games and 2 Goal game numbers by Swayman against Carolina especially and Florida last year were not with great Boston teams.
not me, Vasi's cooked, that why you pay goalies less and play'em 45 games in the RS.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Wait…if Poitras and Lohrei have great years and look like the future cornerstones they could be, shouldn’t we give them what they want? Or is all this huffing and puffing just about one player?
The only guys that get exactly what they ask for are guys, like McDavid, McKinnon, Matthews, Makar.
The B's have a close 2nd in a Pasta type player. None of the guys mentioned have done anything to ask for the moon. Hypotheticals don't earn $$$.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I’m having a hard time understanding what your c alliteration has to do with Swayman asking for 8/8 or more.

Are you saying that Swayman hasn’t worked hard to get to where he is? You seem to think that he’s asking for more than what he’s earned. However, an 8 year deal should take into account what he’s already done, but also his potential and what he’s likely to do in the future…when the cap and salaries rise. I’m not sure you are grasping that part of the equation?

He would definitely be overpaid at $8m the first 2-3 years of the deal, but if he is what most people think he is, he will be underpaid for the last 3-4. I’m not a fan of Gross, but he’s doing what he thinks is best for his client. Both sides have really botched this imo. It shouldn’t be that hard to find middle ground when the player wants to be here and the club wants the player here.

Just get it done.

Signed,

A trying not to be grumpy, Caucasian, slightly to the left moderate male (lol).

The best post I’ve seen on the topic yet. Hope you and your boys are well, Joe

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
This is why 7.5M for 4 years is a great deal for everyone. If Sway is such a competitor, he should want to prove that he deserves the money and make even more in his prime. Asking for more before you have earned it on a long term contract, historically leaves money on the table for the ask of long term security. You never get both unless you're the Bonafide best at your position.

Reactions: Mainehockey33

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Was actually in favor of them getting as much as they can.
Hey we finally agree on something, I have always been in favor of hockey players getting as much as they can, for years and I back along way this was one sport the players have been under paid, and they have been the most entertaining and most cases great people. The one problem is the cap, it sucks, and when management signs that contract and it does not work out, you have to live with it.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I take Swayman over Vasi now 100\100 times.

Swayman beat Carolina G4 to tie the series 3-2 WITHOUT McAvoy & Lindholm...lol.
Without Lindholm G 3,4 & 5. Go look at Boston's D for those games.

You can give Vasi a mulligan last year...pretty significant injury that he came back from.

That being said, if I need to win 1 game to move on...I'd take Vasi over everyone.

Sway still has a lot of prove...I love where he is going, but I'll pump the breaks a little.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Hey we finally agree on something, I have always been in favor of hockey players getting as much as they can, for years and I back along way this was one sport the players have been under paid, and they have been the most entertaining and most cases great people. The one problem is the cap, it sucks, and when management signs that contract and it does not work out, you have to live with it.
You're allowed to buyout a player, so you don't have to 100% live with it.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Considering the NHL has always had problems marketing themselves, the expectation that the cap will continue to grow leaps and bounds should be taken with a big sigh.
CBA is going to be worked on soon and there is a potential lockout, for which the players will have to give up something.
NHL governance and ownership is the least progressive bunch vs the other 3 big sports. If the NHL had the media revenue that the NFL and NBA had, we probably wouldn't be having all this contentious back and forth.
Shorter deal for good money, 7.5M is ~ 125% raise, damn, I'd take that in a heartbeat.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
You can give Vasi a mulligan last year...pretty significant injury that he came back from.

That being said, if I need to win 1 game to move on...I'd take Vasi over everyone.

Sway still has a lot of prove...I love where he is going, but I'll pump the breaks a little.
Vasi was hurt in 2022-23, so last year is his second PO, not first without his health.
The numbers are overwhelming in Sway man's favor jyst using two series losses
for each. Substitute Toronto for Carolina for identical opponents and its not even close.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Vasi was hurt in 2022-23, so last year is his second PO, not first without his health.
The numbers are overwhelming in Sway man's favor jyst using two series losses
for each. Substitute Toronto for Carolina for identical opponents and its not even close.
Didn't he start the year off with a pretty significant injury? IMO, this put him behind the 8-ball

Microdiscectomy surgery to address a lumbar disk herniation

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Jeremy Swayman since getting his shot in 2021-22 (100 games played min)

In the NHL

16th in wins
6th in sv pt
4th in gaa

You guys are out to lunch
And 8x8 is very very fair for that output and volume. Extremely fair.

Those are not elite numbers. And if he’s looking for better than 8x8 he’s looking for elite pay.

If Sway is certain he is elite, why does he not get Gross to propose 6x8 but negotiate huge performance bonus money.

Reactions: SwayHeyKid

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
And 8x8 is very very fair for that output and volume. Extremely fair.

Those are not elite numbers. And if he’s looking for better than 8x8 he’s looking for elite pay.

If Sway is certain he is elite, why does he not get Gross to propose 6x8 but negotiate huge performance bonus money.
No performance bonuses for players under 35.

Just give him what he wants though to make him happy.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
How about 7x8 or 8x4, you can't have term and max $ on your 2nd non arbitrated deal.
No one does that. As a young player, you always give up money for security unless you're the best at your position, and his name is Shesterkin.

And when we find out he is too physically or mentally brittle to play 75 RS+PO games a year, year after year, of an 8 year deal, what then. how do you build a complete team?

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
No performance bonuses for players under 35.

Just give him what he wants though to make him happy.
Exactly, If he wants 8.8 and you're at 7.8 get it done. Knew you'd come around.

And Bostons doing the same while offering more $ than all of them - but it's still not enough for you or swayman and that's Sweeney's fault. :laugh:
7.8 or 8 isn't more than all of them? Seider, Raymond and Faber all more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad