Canes Offer Sheet KK (6.1 for 1 yr) Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
With that being said, I still don't match if it were up to me.

I hope the habs have a better idea of Kotkaniemi's worth and potential than I do and that they will match or not based on that knowledge. I just hope Bergevin doesn't go nuts looking for another top 6 C. Easy to trade players we'll need later for a guy who won't fit or won't be healthy.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
I don’t fault KK for signing the offer sheet, I’d have done the same thing if it guarantees that increase in salary whilst playing for a dynamic team like the Canes. What irks me is he agreed to that $20 signing bonus. How could he sign that knowing that he might stay in Montreal..

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
This is the biggest thing that people who are in the "dont match" category aren't calculating.. they are still using the cup run as some barometer that we are right there, when in reality, we are, with/without KK, and with/without a trade for another center - a fringe team that is more likely to end up with a franchise player from this draft than they are to make the play-offs.

They might be using the cup run as a barometer, but they may have since pivoted especially after not being able to replace Danault.

Now with this KK wrench, they might be further away from that mindset because they are paying a huge price just go back to the original gaping hole.

I would love to be a fly on the wall for their internal conversations right now.

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
I don’t fault KK for signing the offer sheet, I’d have done the same thing if it guarantees that increase in salary whilst playing for a dynamic team like the Canes. What irks me is he agreed to that $20 signing bonus. How could he sign that knowing that he might stay in Montreal..
I wouldn’t be surprised if he just saw the 6.1M and immediately accepted it without being aware of the significance of the $20 bonus.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Carolina dictates the offer sheet, and it's up to KK to accept it or decline. Whatever the intention, he's not declining it over 20 bucks.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
This is the biggest thing that people who are in the "dont match" category aren't calculating.. they are still using the cup run as some barometer that we are right there, when in reality, we are, with/without KK, and with/without a trade for another center - a fringe team that is more likely to end up with a franchise player from this draft than they are to make the play-offs.

They are not a bottom 5 team. They have guys like Byron and Armia on their 4th line. Plus the fact Timmins/Churla are drafting means there’s no shot of a franchise player anyways.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Btw MTL can match the offer and won't be over the 10% if Caufield is not listed on the main team and could be recall day 1 once Byron and Weber get on LTIR.

Reactions: Mandala and Redux91

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Yeah but you seem to be hung up on the money but when you look at 5.5m for Drouin that lasts for, what, another 2 seasons? We already have worse in house with no upside vs. giving up on a young center with size right at probably the most critical year of determining what path said player is on.
That's hardly an argument for doubling down on bad contracts, especially with Suzuki and Caufield needing new deals.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I guess the thing is it's hard to know what I'd rather happen without knowing what the front office's plan is. If the plan is to take the picks and sign or trade a late pick for a stopgap vet and keep building I'd be open to that. If it's to do something very bold like Eichel or a Pettersson offer sheet I'm also open to that even if I'd be nervous about moving our 2022 1st. If it's to take the picks and immediately flip them for Dvorak or something I'm less interested.

I actually do like Dvorak as an addition but not as a KK replacement, to me his value is he can be your 2nd line LW/3C and slide around the lineup as needed. If you're trading for him to be your long term 2C I'd rather just match on KK and see what we have for a year where the salary basically forces the team to give him a real shot.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
2 options for me;

1- you match the offer unless,

2- you have a trade confirm with another team to upgrade your center position.

It's really late in the summer so not many teams are open for business with the training camps looming. Dvorak and Eichel are probably the only centers still available. If you can't get one of them you may h the offer and hope KK have a good season and look at the trade market for him next summer.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Lots of overly emotional posters rn, Berge actually made the right moves for once. Hate the dude but I can call it like it is...12M for Danault+KK are you kidding me.

Hoffman+Perreault costs like 5.5M and will bring much more to the table. Good chances Carolina misses the playoffs too with that D and goalies, 2 lotto picks in a good year.. draft at home..music to my ears.

Reactions: FinnHab and holy

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Wayne Gretzky had such a great career in coaching/GM. :sarcasm:

Their role as players mean nothing.

Never said it did. I just said they are bad at their jobs of drafting and all the Canadiens do is hire ex fringe NHLers since they are into the Old Boys Club mantra that the entire NHL is in.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Yeah but you seem to be hung up on the money but when you look at 5.5m for Drouin that lasts for, what, another 2 seasons? We already have worse in house with no upside vs. giving up on a young center with size right at probably the most critical year of determining what path said player is on.

Teams have to decide who they are and are not able to live without. It may be an advantage to have a good fourth line, it may be a luxury. You have to decide who you really need. Coming into this season you might not have had to re-sign all the centers but you probably needed at least one of Danault and Kotkaniemi to make the team competitive. I wonder if JK was dealing prior to this or if he just left after being benched at the end of the cup run. Staal had no points in the last two rounds and didn't really show any reason that he should have been playing.

I always wonder if the late season mediocre veteran pick ups MB makes are his idea or if they are coach's requests. Either way they always play way too much and too badly after he gets them. Staal was horrid in the regular season. He was good in the first two rounds of the playoffs, but I doubt that overall JK could have done much worse. 2 good rounds vs 2 bad rounds and a truly terrible end of the regular season for Staal, inconsistency for Kotkaniemi with the expectation that he will grow. Coaches always want veterans. It's up to the GM to agree with them on a vision and to acquire and use players properly.

Of their trade deadline pickups Vanek was good, Dubnyk might have been, was Petry a deadline deal, if so awesome, but I don't think he was? Weise and Mitchell were OK. Then you have Staal, Ott, Martinsen, King, Weal, Merrill, Gustaffson... Mostly OK to forgettable but Ott/Martinsen/King were truly terrible, Merrill was not good, and Staal was mostly bad. It's not terrible to load up on veterans but it's bad when you play them ahead of better players.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
some have speculated on this but i wonder how much of this has to do with caufield and suzuki given more leash than him, and of course the Eichel rumours. Looking back now, it was a terrible idea to rush him. Whether one agrees or not, He definitely feels disrespected and untrusted.

Reactions: Doc McKenna
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad