Bruins Off Season III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Just so we're all on the same page here:
jcMCr1B.png

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
The point being (as pertaining to this thread) is that mistakes/lack of foresight whatever you want to call it, bring on other problems down the road.

We missed the Playoffs last year, and concrete boots on the blueline played a large roll in that. In all the opinion polls I read, Management was blamed.
By 75% in the one I recall.

Friedman is not alone. By a long shot.

We are seeing this issue present itself again now. Hey, where are all the young, mobile, modern transitional Defenseman around for 1 first, and 2 - seconds right now?

Again it doesn't matter what you feel about that player personally, its the value that player carries which carries over to a better team.

We should have received a skater that could have helped last season, and transitioned more easily into this one, still with futures to look forward to.

I like the prospects that we have right now and the outlook of the Bruins moving forward, especially on defense.

However, I sometimes wonder just how much the Bruins fortunes would have changed if they were able to swing the original deal they wanted, which was the 1st round picks in 2015 to Arizona so they could draft Hanafin, local kid who was a Bruins fan growing up. And of course, if we were able to get Vesey. Sweeney has been very adamant, both publicly and privately about wanting players who want to be here. Hamilton did not want to be here unfortunately.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
There age 21 seasons? Which is what Dougie was coming off of when we traded him?

Dougie>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lindholm>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Trouba

In fact, Dougie's much maligned season in Calgary is better than any season Trouba has had.

Lindholm was a beast last year though. Sign me up, 4 first round picks.

No idea where you're getting the bolded from. Agree that Dougie is better than Trouba (marginally), but Lindholm and Dougie are pretty neck and Neck at age 21 (especially when you consider the Chara factor). Dougie is now 23 and Lindholm 22. Comparing Dougie's '14 season to Lindholm's '15 season, Lindholm had better production and Dougie had better advanced stats but Lindholm was already killing penalties regularly where Dougie was not. And Lindholm's last season is better defensively than any season Dougie has had (including both his 22 and 23 year old years).

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
as for Dougie, I've gone back and forth on this. I used to just chalk it up to "well he didn't want to be here, what can you do?" but then the Drouin situation made me 2nd guess that thinking and left me wondering if Sweeney should have played hardball.

But as time goes on the more I think Sweeney was in a lose/lose situation. He trades him and people say he didn't get enough, traded another young skilled player, etc. He keeps him (despite strong indication he wanted out) and he holds out then the Bruins are in a bad spot, missing their number 2 D and not being able to spend the money elsewhere. It's easy to say Sweeney should have taken the same approach that Yzerman took with Drouin, but the big difference is that the Bruins needed Dougie in the lineup (or something in return) whereas Tampa wasn't really reliant on Drouin yet and could afford to wait him out.

As much as people say Sweeney shouldn't have traded him, those some people I think would have trashed Sweeney if he let him sit out half the season ala Drouin. Tampa lucked out that Drouin eventually came around, but would Boston have been so lucky with Dougie?

I just think it was a tough situation and no matter what Sweeney did people were going to say he screwed up. But at the end of the day, your best young D not wanting to sign an extension is just a ****** situation and that's all there is to it. Can't blame the brand new GM for that.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
agree with Joe, Dougie was soft, ran around in his own zone, drove Claude batty, and called his agent every time Julien yelled at him per folks in the room to the point Claude would smack his lips together and have Houda talk to him.

but when Chiarelli was 'suggested' to pick up Freddy and thankfully said, um, no....the Hamilton bud was packing up.

maybe we can make a Stat post for those who want to bring those out to win (snicker) in their minds arguments

Lot of good Dougie stories out there and let's just say 'best of luck in Calgary' and enjoy Kirk Leudeke's 2-4 prospects they got back for DH as listed on his award winning blog

Last edited:

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
agree with Joe, Dougie was soft, ran around in his own zone, drove Claude batty, and called his agent every time Julien yelled at him per folks in the room to the point Claude would smack his lips together and have Houda talk to him.

but when Chiarelli was 'suggested' to pick up Freddy and thankfully said, um, no....the Hamilton bud was packing up.

maybe we can make a Stat post for those who want to bring those out to win (snicker) in their minds arguments

Lot of good Dougie stories out there and let's just say 'best of luck in Calgary' and enjoy Kirk Leudeke's 2-4 prospects they got back for DH as listed on his award winning blog

one Dougie story that is out there is that the Bruins offered him numerous, lucrative long term contracts.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
as for Dougie, I've gone back and forth on this. I used to just chalk it up to "well he didn't want to be here, what can you do?" but then the Drouin situation made me 2nd guess that thinking and left me wondering if Sweeney should have played hardball.

But as time goes on the more I think Sweeney was in a lose/lose situation. He trades him and people say he didn't get enough, traded another young skilled player, etc. He keeps him (despite strong indication he wanted out) and he holds out then the Bruins are in a bad spot, missing their number 2 D and not being able to spend the money elsewhere. It's easy to say Sweeney should have taken the same approach that Yzerman took with Drouin, but the big difference is that the Bruins needed Dougie in the lineup (or something in return) whereas Tampa wasn't really reliant on Drouin yet and could afford to wait him out.

As much as people say Sweeney shouldn't have traded him, those some people I think would have trashed Sweeney if he let him sit out half the season ala Drouin. Tampa lucked out that Drouin eventually came around, but would Boston have been so lucky with Dougie?

I just think it was a tough situation and no matter what Sweeney did people were going to say he screwed up. But at the end of the day, your best young D not wanting to sign an extension is just a ****** situation and that's all there is to it. Can't blame the brand new GM for that.

Considering the return they got was all future's, not sure that argument holds water. They didn't use Dougie's $ to fill the hole he left, or acquire an asset to replace him. It was an unimpressive return for a promising young player. If the accepted market value of Lindholm is 4 1st round picks, even if he's a better player, he's not that much better to rationalize the return on Dougie.

It's funny, a lot of people are more critical of the Boychuk trade, and I actually don't think the return was awful in comparison, and you see the justification now of not wanting to pay $6m per to a guy who looks like he's begun a reasonably steep decline.

If he didn't want to play here, fine, trade him. But the return wasn't adequate value considering what we're hearing the market is for players of his calibre.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I also meant long term when the likes of Zboril, o'gara/grz and lauzon are ready to make the jump. then you have mcAvoy, carlo, c miller on the right so you won't necessarily need fowler or krug to play off hand creating

fowler
krug
zboril or other

i think there's a market for morrow where he wouldn't be useless throw in or given away for peanuts. he has the ability to become a very solid 2way #4 guy and teams could certainly look at him as that.

I know that not everyone develops at the same right.
I know that Dmen take longer.
I know that some guys can bust out later than expected.

But Joe Morrow will be 24 years old in December, and isn't even a solid 2 way #6 guy.

I think the odds of him becoming anything more than a fringe player are getting a bit longer.

Even if you take his AHL and NHL #s over the last 2 seasons and add them together, you get 81 games, 5g, 15a. Those don't look like the numbers of a potential 2way top 4.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I know that not everyone develops at the same right.
I know that Dmen take longer.
I know that some guys can bust out later than expected.

But Joe Morrow will be 24 years old in December, and isn't even a solid 2 way #6 guy.

I think the odds of him becoming anything more than a fringe player are getting a bit longer.

Even if you take his AHL and NHL #s over the last 2 seasons and add them together, you get 81 games, 5g, 15a. Those don't look like the numbers of a potential 2way top 4.

Joe Morrow is the new Matt Lashoff.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

I truly appreciate and respect Reilly Smith, Loui Erikkson, and Dougie Hamilton as legit NHL players who will have 10+ year careers. But honestly I am thrilled each of them are no longer Bruins given what they earn and the circumstances with each. Smith had a decent season but I will gladly call him the most overpaid and overrated soft 40-45 point 2nd line winger in the league. Very very streaky. Erikkson was here for 3 years most importantly on a very good contract. Same non physical player on a 'bad' contract and older no thanks and there'd be effigies of him outside the garden if he had years like his first in Boston on a 6 per deal. Hamilton somehow manages to strait up suck and make tons of mistakes despite being a phenomenal skater for his height and having high end natural offensive instincts and skills. Made a good Calgary team worse. Beyond soft Loui and Reilly could probably beat him in a fight.

Don't miss any one bit. Very happy when I can pay a David Backes at free agency the kind of money one of them would inevitably take up. Should have traded Seguin for Backes instead of Loui we'd have made the playoffs the last 2 seasons.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Well, from what I was told, the B's offered MORE money than Calgary, so there goes your theory about impatience with Dougie. They wanted him back, he didn't want to be here.

That being said, did you just compare Dougie to McJesus? :laugh:

Not...even...close.

He didn't want to be here, boo hoo. Who cares, you still don't give solid assets up and frig present day.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

We are all hopefully optimistic about Zach S, JFK and Jeremy Lauzon, but there's no saying exactly how that turns out. This is why roster players in a trade of this magnitude, are essential. A bird in hand.

I like how BP13 put it when we saw a summer later, another fledgling, highly rated young D prospect like Larsson fetch Taylor Hall.

This is a flawed deal and it is clearly displayed by the hole we are disparately trying to fill right now. This most certainly can work out, but this type of risk should never be run.

Conversely, we may just be staring down the barrel of another playoff miss, and another regime change.

Finally you know I didn't compare player to player, no need to be patronizing. I know you're not a dumb man.

Speaking of which; Do I think Don Sweeney a fool? I sure don't think so, I just know that in this case -- he was fooled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad