Bruins Off Season III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Hard yes.

Lest we forget, we can always move a guy at the deadline in the next few years and grab a late 1st or another 2nd to parlay into a 1st. Lindholm changes this franchise; he's a solid bridge to the young D, he allows this year's team to truly compete, and your chances of snagging a player like him with 2-3 kicks at the can in the 1st round are still low. I definitely do that.

Agreed.

How many people here would have offer-sheeted Drew Doughty when he held out in the West and wanted 7.0 million / year?

Hampus Lindholm is a #1 defenseman already. Top draft pick, amazing complete player wanting to be paid accordingly.

Boston has a full cupboard at every aspect of the franchise in every position due to trading away Hamilton and Lucic.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Has he not been aggressive in his pursuit?

He made offers on Shattenkirk. He signed Backes. He tried to trade for Kulikov. He was one of the teams to reach out to Stamkos. He went after Demers hard. He kicked the tires on Russell but balked at the asking price. It seems like they did more than anyone to try to convince Vesey to sign here (most NHL players involved, most managers involved, tour of the new facility, etc.).

Of course, it hasn't amounted to much but as my know it all teenager likes to say, "technically" he didn't lie. :shakehead

Yes. For some reason, I like Trouba more, even though he's been less successful and has more questions surrounding him. So, not logical at all but I'd offer either one. Like Beeps said, they can't sign Backes and not put their best foot forward this season. Lindholm or Trouba is a game changer for them. The offense looks very good. The goaltending should be very good. Add a Trouba or Lindholm to this defense and guys slide back into slots where they can be successful. Now your defense is pretty good.

Don't know that Sweeney makes that play though. Even if he offers, ANA or WPG could match, and all it's accomplished is some bad will and maybe it makes some fans feel like he's trying (while others would chalk it up to another failure).

I didn't say he wasn't. What I was saying was that this could be considered an aggressive move that has been pulled on the Bruins before. I see no reason why he shouldn't at this point.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I actually do question their "aggressiveness" in their pursuit of a solid dman. I think passing on having to eat a contract in the Shattenkirk deal, given how otherwise favorable it looked, shows they may overrate their current cast (hence their questionable contract extensions). I wonder if Sweeney isn't instead just trying to bide time until the kids come up, hoping to squeak into the playoffs. Appease the owner and wait for a few years down the road. Not saying it's the worst strategy, but I don't care for it myself.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Bill, I know two seasons ago I kept saying how the upcoming decision on Looch was the hardest one to make, because he really might not age well and he has never found a level between "100%" and "useless" to help get through 82 games.

I didn't want to move him, but when I was honest it felt like that's what Belichick would do, so it was probably right.

However, they then went out and gave Beleskey a lot of years to try and fill in some of what they lost with Looch, and then went out and gave Backes even more to do the same.

So their two biggest FA signings were designed to replace what they lost in letting Looch go.

So why not just keep him! If that's what you value and want, why not keep Looch? It has made no sense to me whatsoever. This is why I don't think they have anything resembling a coherent plan.

I would take Looch on his deal right now over Backes and his. And yes, they got Chiller and the 29th overall pick from moving him, but I'd take Looch back last year over those two.

While I understand ( but don't agree ) with this line of thought, Looch is coming out looking good in all of this, which I'm happy about because I'll always be a fan of his. He's going to be statistically insulated playing with Connor McDavid for the foreseeable future.

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
I might be in the minority's but don't shatt is what we need. As for Dk comment he right and I said that about Vesey he was good in college but no one knows what type of pro he be. Intresting to see on the line with krecji this year. The big question who is DS bringing in to help the defense.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I actually do question their "aggressiveness" in their pursuit of a solid dman. I think passing on having to eat a contract in the Shattenkirk deal, given how otherwise favorable it looked, shows they may overrate their current cast (hence their questionable contract extensions). I wonder if Sweeney isn't instead just trying to bide time until the kids come up, hoping to squeak into the playoffs. Appease the owner and wait for a few years down the road. Not saying it's the worst strategy, but I don't care for it myself.

I never really what the rumored deal with shatt was, just people talking about it. Can someone let me know or point me to where it was posted?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I never really what the rumored deal with shatt was, just people talking about it. Can someone let me know or point me to where it was posted?

It's been pretty much confirmed that the offer on the table was Eriksson for Shattenkirk ( with a possibility of other minor pieces attached ) but the Blues wanted the Bruins to take on a salary dump and the Bruins balked.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
I know that Cam Fowler has been in trade rumors, but I saw this more recent article by Kevin Allen from USA Today posted a couple of nights ago:

Hampus Lindholm negotiations: The Anaheim Ducks still haven’t been able to re-sign the two-way restricted free agent defenseman, and what happens with the situation could affect another team.

While Lindholm is essential to the Ducks, they have eight NHL defensemen on their roster, plus prospects Shea Theodore and Brandon Montour who are close. When Lindholm is re-signed, the Ducks are expected to trade a veteran defenseman.

Top-pairing defenseman Cam Fowler’s name has been mentioned in trade rumors all summer. The Boston Bruins, Detroit Red Wings, Edmonton Oilers, among others, have been looking for defensive help.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-avalanche-jacob-trouba-story-lines/89338302/

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
It's been pretty much confirmed that the offer on the table was Eriksson for Shattenkirk ( with a possibility of other minor pieces attached ) but the Blues wanted the Bruins to take on a salary dump and the Bruins balked.
As much as we are now disappointed that deal didn't get done I'm sure St. Louis brass probably feels the same way in light of another exit from the playoffs when they had their eye on the big prize.

Shattenkirk is now 4th on their depth chart, he was -14 on one of the top teams in the west and a Hitchcock coached team, there is a reason the Blues are trying to move him. He's not worth the money now let alone the 7 million he's going to ask for at the end of the season.

I'm not happy with Sweeney's inability to help this team this year so far but not getting Shattenkirk and Fowler for that matter are not mistakes. IMHO

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
As much as we are now disappointed that deal didn't get done I'm sure St. Louis brass probably feels the same way in light of another exit from the playoffs when they had their eye on the big prize.

Shattenkirk is now 4th on their depth chart, he was -14 on one of the top teams in the west and a Hitchcock coached team, there is a reason the Blues are trying to move him. He's not worth the money now let alone the 7 million he's going to ask for at the end of the season.

I'm not happy with Sweeney's inability to help this team this year so far but not getting Shattenkirk and Fowler for that matter are not mistakes. IMHO

what we or any fan base thinks a player is worth and the going market for a D-man with his skill set it are often different.

I won`t deny he had his moments of struggle in the playoffs but he would immediately help the B`s however, I think the time for that deal came and went at the deadline. I wonder who`s contract the Blues wanted to unload on Sweeney?

I like Fowler as the target or Trouba, Fowler is locked up, I believe until the conclusion of the 2018 season for about or at 4 mill per, I like that number for him.

Either way, to acquire either, it`ll cost the B`s some high end kids but ya have to pay to receive

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
what we or any fan base thinks a player is worth and the going market for a D-man with his skill set it are often different.

I won`t deny he had his moments of struggle in the playoffs but he would immediately help the B`s however, I think the time for that deal came and went at the deadline. I wonder who`s contract the Blues wanted to unload on Sweeney?

I like Fowler as the target or Trouba, Fowler is locked up, I believe until the conclusion of the 2018 season for about or at 4 mill per, I like that number for him.

Either way, to acquire either, it`ll cost the B`s some high end kids but ya have to pay to receive
I agree, you have to give to get. I put the likes of Lindholm and Trouba in a whole different category than Fowler and Sahttenkirk. I see the latter two as D that can put up good numbers and are okay in their zone but still an upgrade no doubt. Trouba/Lindholm could be legit #1 D-men for us. I'd be prepared to give up a ton for a number one but be very cautious on run and gun types.

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
I just want to be clear, I'm just a long time Bruin fan, it's all eye test and opinion for me, I don't know anymore than the next guy.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
And here we are talking about giving up 4 high, high draft choices because we are in a spot.

Hmmmmmm.

A spot the team put us in, as mentioned by many of us mentioned following the events at Draft 2015.

Whether you liked the player moved out, or not; or whether you are high on the new guys coming in, it makes no difference. Because we moved out a young, mobile Defenseman (exactly what was needed here) it created a vacuum.

In the win business, desperation is a funny thing. Its like an election, you write cheques you can't cash/ you make promises you can't keep.

GM's only have so long to operate and will make nervous mistakes. See Mike O'Connell.

We all know the high value of young mobile blueliners in the market, yet, somehow we didn't get a roster player back to help us out last year. We only got futures.

Nice for the future for a rebuilding basement budget franchise, if you get value. But top flight teams need roster players too.

And based on the 4 First Rounders we now consider coughing up for Hampus Lindholm, who is a fine player; he most certainly is not 3 first round picks better than Doug Hamilton.

Do the math and it proves that this is unsustainable asset management and is case in point on how this team has been mismanaged as of late.

You can certainly see the rookie mistake, a mistake that if made twice, could paralyze a team and threaten a decade of futility.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
And here we are talking about giving up 4 high, high draft choices because we are in a spot.

Hmmmmmm.

A spot the team put us in, as mentioned by many of us mentioned following the events at Draft 2015.

Whether you liked the player moved out, or not; or whether you are high on the new guys coming in, it makes no difference. Because we moved out a young, mobile Defenseman (exactly what was needed here) it created a vacuum.

In the win business, desperation is a funny thing. Its like an election, you write cheques you can't cash/ you make promises you can't keep.

GM's only have so long to operate and will make nervous mistakes. See Mike O'Connell.

We all know the high value of young mobile blueliners in the market, yet, somehow we didn't get a roster player back to help us out last year. We only got futures.

Nice for the future for a rebuilding basement budget franchise, if you get value. But top flight teams need roster players too.

And based on the 4 First Rounders we now consider coughing up for Hampus Lindholm, who is a fine player; he most certainly is not 3 first round picks better than Doug Hamilton.

Do the math and it proves that this is unsustainable asset management and is case in point on how this team has been mismanaged as of late.

You can certainly see the rookie mistake, a mistake that if made twice, could paralyze a team and threaten a decade of futility.

I certainly think giving up 4 first would be a bad idea.... there must be a deal out there that would cost is less. I guess people don't mind giving up the "unknown" for a known commodity.

I would definitely consider giving up debrusk, zboril and spooner for a dman before I give up 4 1st rnd picks.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Torey Krug, David Krejci working their way back to health

“I’m not really even using my shoulder shooting the puck,” Krug said. “I’m trying to avoid any crazy things out there and take it slow, day by day. We still have plenty of time until camp.”

“I’m just really excited to be here, and obviously being one of the first guys to skate on the ice is exciting, too,” Krug said. “And we’ll have more players as we go along, and everyone’s really excited.”

Krejci, who underwent surgery on his left hip April 25, said he returned to the ice a week and a half ago. This week, his focus is on increasing the intensity and adding skill work and power skating to his recovery.

Despite the nagging hip injury, the 30-year-old alternate captain played in 72 games last season and notched a team-high 46 assists. He also scored 17 goals and finished second on the team with 63 points.

“Obviously, this injury takes time, but I like where I’m at right now,” Krejci said. “Every day is a step closer, and I’m excited for tomorrow.”

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...rom-surgery/OrU0OGkjlmzqc8rwZiqUTO/story.html

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...g_hoping_to_be_ready_for_bruins_season_opener

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...k_david_krejci_takes_baby_steps_toward_return

Last edited:

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia

Hmmmmmm.

Hamilton is definitely Sweeney's biggest blunder so far. A rookie mistake and I don't buy any of this "Hamilton didn't want to be here" stuff. Sweeney panicked, most likely worried about Chiarelli doing an offer sheet which to me speaks to being more worried about the optics of the former GM picking his pocket than the real situation. The real situation being that he held all the cards.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
I'm very concerned for the 2017-2018 season... i don't know if chara will be able to hold the reigns of the top spot, I don't know that krug can either... we're so focused on the right side at the moment that the deficiency on the left is going to sneak up on us too.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

I can promise you the Blues are not shopping him. Everyone is calling them, and by everyone I mean any conversation taking place is being instigated by anyone other than the Blues.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Hmmmmmm.

I guess I missed the part where giving up 4 first round picks (which I would not do) would add a roster player any more than the Hamilton trade did? It's a moot point anyway, because the only place where a Lindholm OS is close to reality is on a message board.

In my opinion the Hamilton deal was not a "rookie mistake". I believe the B's were targeting Hanifan and when that fell through they went for Plan B, a package of picks. I would have liked to have seen another asset, perhaps a young player or prospect. It didn't happen and I actually think that the three players the B's got for Dougie will more than make up for his loss down the road.

Your mistake is thinking that the Bruins were a "top flight" team at the time of the deal, they weren't. They were a team that was getting older and had little in the pipeline. They traded Lucic and Hamilton for futures because they knew the team needed a shot in the arm, in order to rebuild the farm system, which had provided very little in the past few years.

Whether or not Sweeney and Co can successfully "rebuild on the fly" remains to be seen, but I think that has been the plan all along and not a rookie mistake.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
I guess I missed the part where giving up 4 first round picks (which I would not do) would add a roster player any more than the Hamilton trade did? It's a moot point anyway, because the only place where a Lindholm OS is close to reality is on a message board.

In my opinion the Hamilton deal was not a "rookie mistake". I believe the B's were targeting Hanifan and when that fell through they went for Plan B, a package of picks. I would have liked to have seen another asset, perhaps a young player or prospect. It didn't happen and I actually think that the three players the B's got for Dougie will more than make up for his loss down the road.

Your mistake is thinking that the Bruins were a "top flight" team at the time of the deal, they weren't. They were a team that was getting older and had little in the pipeline. They traded Lucic and Hamilton for futures because they knew the team needed a shot in the arm, in order to rebuild the farm system, which had provided very little in the past few years.

Whether or not Sweeney and Co can successfully "rebuild on the fly" remains to be seen, but I think that has been the plan all along and not a rookie mistake.

i agree here, we needed to rebuild the pipeline... i mean if we win in 2013 instead of the hawks they're probably the ones under the gun for a bare farm system and not us as much and if we win maybe hamilton decides to stay.... we're a couple moves off of staying above water. the one thing i credit bowman with is getting the most out of players and then not being afraid to move them.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I know that Cam Fowler has been in trade rumors, but I saw this more recent article by Kevin Allen from USA Today posted a couple of nights ago:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-avalanche-jacob-trouba-story-lines/89338302/

Can the Bruins swing a deal for Fowler. Sure seems like he is the most-likely option at this point. I'm not convinced Shattenkirk is getting moved just yet.

The fact that Fowler also has two years left at a nice number (4.0) makes him even more appealing. His extension if given would coincide with Chara's deal ending and Seidenberg's buy-out hit going back to the 1 million range.

The Ducks need to move out some money to get Rakell and especially Lindholm re-signed. They are budget team and up against already it if you believe the reports.

They are also pretty shallow in left-handed forwards. You could argue their Top 5 F (Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Silvferberg, Rakell) are right-shooting players.

Cogliano
Ritchie
Vermette
Thompson
Raymond
Boll

Kinda gross.

Most are convinced to get a D-man this year Spooner is the odd-man out. Seriously how many teams have a 50-pt left-shot young forward to trade still on a cheap deal like Spooner?

Spooner +, the + being the big question.

I don't know if either of Krug or Fowler can play the right side, but for arguments sake.

Chara - Fowler/Krug
Fowler/Krug - K.Miller

That's a reasonably decent Top 4. As good as Boston can hope for at this stage anyways.

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
I can promise you the Blues are not shopping him. Everyone is calling them, and by everyone I mean any conversation taking place is being instigated by anyone other than the Blues.
The way I look at it is, Shattenkirk is in his last year of his deal, I read he wants 7 million a year, the Blues have Pietrangelo, Bouwmeester and the up and coming Parayko so I'm doubtful they'll shell out more than 6 million even. Again I don't know anything but that's just my thought process.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

Your mistake is thinking that the Bruins were a "top flight" team at the time of the deal, they weren't.

The 'mistake' has already been alluded to and partially conceded by non other than Don Sweeney himself.

This 'mistake' is showing itself in spades as we speak, with a deep hole in the Bruins blueline, and another playoff miss which was endemic to poor transitional play and older, slower skaters.

This was Elliotte Friedman's take;

The Bruins felt that Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli was going to offer sheet Hamilton, they felt under the gun, and Boston GM Don Sweeney quickly pulled the trigger on the Flames trade.

“I didn’t like the Hamilton (trade)….I knew the Bruins felt that Edmonton was going to offer sheet Hamilton. And they really felt trapped. And it (the trade) was a move they had to make right away.

“But I thought the process of the way they did it — and to me it was very similar to the way they traded Joe Thornton, like nobody knew… I was at the draft and when the Dougie Hamilton trade was coming down, and it was early and some of the teams were starting to roll in, one executive from a team came up to me and said, ‘I just saw your Twitter. Is it true that Dougie Hamilton is getting traded to Caglary?’ And I pointed, because (Flames GM) Brad Treliving was standing out there on his cell phone, I said, ‘There he is on the trade call.’ And he was furious. He was like, ‘We didn’t know.’ And he found out it was for draft picks and he was upset. They felt they were under the gun, I wonder if somewhere down the road they’ll say, ‘I think there’s a different way we could have handled it.'â€

When I refer to the Bruins as a Top Flight team, I am referring to an original 6 franchise that builds to the cap, doesn't rebuild, only re-tools. We are not in Columbus or Arizona Dorothy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad