Bruins Off Season III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
4 1st round picks for Lindholm is pretty steep.

If we'd given up 4 1st round picks in the summer of 2014 for example we'd be looking at losing:
Pasta
Zboril
McAvoy
????

There's a reason you don't see too many teams pony up an offer sheet like that. Lindholm is good, but he better be franchise player good if you're going to give up that much.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Off season is a good way of putting it, since Sweeney has seemingly taken it off. :)

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I'll predict Shawn Horcoff as the invitee. And Clode immediately falls in love, happily ever after.

Edit: A guy I would love to see the Bruins invite on a PTO would be Dan Boyle, though I believe he is leaning towards retirement.

Fleischmann is my guess out of that group. Some decent scoring upside...and it seems like he always did well against the Bruins. That shouldn't matter...but seems to often.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
http://www.hockeysverige.se/2016/08...cup-med-frolunda-far-ta-med-mig-en-inhalator/

The time has come for Sweeney to own up for his words:

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/...ys-team-in-market-for-transitional-defenseman

'In Sweeney's words, the Bruins will be “aggressive” and pursue improving the hockey club “in any way, shape or form".'

Offer sheet Hampus Lindholm 7 years, 7 million / year and give up the four 1st round picks as compensation.

Would you
?

Hard yes.

Lest we forget, we can always move a guy at the deadline in the next few years and grab a late 1st or another 2nd to parlay into a 1st. Lindholm changes this franchise; he's a solid bridge to the young D, he allows this year's team to truly compete, and your chances of snagging a player like him with 2-3 kicks at the can in the 1st round are still low. I definitely do that.

Brewins

Apr 23, 2015
http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/krejci-more-disappointed-losing-eriksson-missing-out-vesey

Also hint of salt from DK "“I wasn’t really disappointed with that guy. Obviously I’d heard he was a good player, but he has to prove himself on the NHL level. I was more disappointed that we weren’t able to keep Loui. I felt like we had some good chemistry going,” said Krejci, referencing 30-goal scorer Eriksson departing for the Vancouver Canucks and a six-year, $36 million contract. “It was tough to see him go, but I’m getting kind of used to seeing my guys, my favorite guys, going away [like] Milan [Lucic], Nathan [Horton] and [Jarome] Iginla."

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/krejci-more-disappointed-losing-eriksson-missing-out-vesey

Also hint of salt from DK "“I wasn’t really disappointed with that guy. Obviously I’d heard he was a good player, but he has to prove himself on the NHL level. I was more disappointed that we weren’t able to keep Loui. I felt like we had some good chemistry going,†said Krejci, referencing 30-goal scorer Eriksson departing for the Vancouver Canucks and a six-year, $36 million contract. “It was tough to see him go, but I’m getting kind of used to seeing my guys, my favorite guys, going away [like] Milan [Lucic], Nathan [Horton] and [Jarome] Iginla."

Well he's right. Obviously the contract situations of each of those guys had more to do with their departure than a failed effort by management to support his linemates, but he is right that all of his good wingers don't seem to last very long. My bet/hope is that his comment was more matter of fact and tongue-in-cheek than it was any veiled shot at management.

And of course, if he is frustrated, feels like getting healthy, starting out hot and then waving his NTC in a deal for a top dman, then I'm fine with that too.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
'In Sweeney's words, the Bruins will be “aggressive†and pursue improving the hockey club “in any way, shape or form".'

Has he not been aggressive in his pursuit?

He made offers on Shattenkirk. He signed Backes. He tried to trade for Kulikov. He was one of the teams to reach out to Stamkos. He went after Demers hard. He kicked the tires on Russell but balked at the asking price. It seems like they did more than anyone to try to convince Vesey to sign here (most NHL players involved, most managers involved, tour of the new facility, etc.).

Of course, it hasn't amounted to much but as my know it all teenager likes to say, "technically" he didn't lie. :shakehead

Offer sheet Hampus Lindholm 7 years, 7 million / year and give up the four 1st round picks as compensation.

Would you?

Yes. For some reason, I like Trouba more, even though he's been less successful and has more questions surrounding him. So, not logical at all but I'd offer either one. Like Beeps said, they can't sign Backes and not put their best foot forward this season. Lindholm or Trouba is a game changer for them. The offense looks very good. The goaltending should be very good. Add a Trouba or Lindholm to this defense and guys slide back into slots where they can be successful. Now your defense is pretty good.

Don't know that Sweeney makes that play though. Even if he offers, ANA or WPG could match, and all it's accomplished is some bad will and maybe it makes some fans feel like he's trying (while others would chalk it up to another failure).

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA

Also hint of salt from DK "“I wasn’t really disappointed with that guy. Obviously I’d heard he was a good player, but he has to prove himself on the NHL level. I was more disappointed that we weren’t able to keep Loui. I felt like we had some good chemistry going,†said Krejci, referencing 30-goal scorer Eriksson departing for the Vancouver Canucks and a six-year, $36 million contract. “It was tough to see him go, but I’m getting kind of used to seeing my guys, my favorite guys, going away [like] Milan [Lucic], Nathan [Horton] and [Jarome] Iginla."

If I were those NHL players that came in and tried to convince Vesey to sign here only to get snubbed I'd be pissed. Hopefully they give it to the new Ranger any chance they get.

As for Krejci being disappointed about his wingers, he's right there too. I didn't like them moving Lucic way back when. But the cap space!!! The cap space was just used on an older Backes, for essentially the same qualities, so I maintain frustrated by that move. And I think a lot of the negative press and waning interest surrounding this team stems from them moving a cult hero like Looch. I know it's not in vogue to say you like hitting, and you think leadership and physical play matter, but at the very least that's what this fanbase likes and hasn't got enough of since #17 was dealt. For cap space. That we used. On Backes.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Has he not been aggressive in his pursuit?

He made offers on Shattenkirk. He signed Backes. He tried to trade for Kulikov. He was one of the teams to reach out to Stamkos. He went after Demers hard. He kicked the tires on Russell but balked at the asking price. It seems like they did more than anyone to try to convince Vesey to sign here (most NHL players involved, most managers involved, tour of the new facility, etc.).

Of course, it hasn't amounted to much but as my know it all teenager likes to say, "technically" he didn't lie. :shakehead

Yes. For some reason, I like Trouba more, even though he's been less successful and has more questions surrounding him. So, not logical at all but I'd offer either one. Like Beeps said, they can't sign Backes and not put their best foot forward this season. Lindholm or Trouba is a game changer for them. The offense looks very good. The goaltending should be very good. Add a Trouba or Lindholm to this defense and guys slide back into slots where they can be successful. Now your defense is pretty good.

Don't know that Sweeney makes that play though. Even if he offers, ANA or WPG could match, and all it's accomplished is some bad will and maybe it makes some fans feel like he's trying (while others would chalk it up to another failure).

Great post, he hasn`t landed the D-man many of us (and DS) knows he needs but it hasn`t been for lack of effort.

If he can find someone which will allow, as you alluded to, D-men to slide into a spot they are best suited for, things won`t be nearly as dire as they appear now on D

Brewins

Apr 23, 2015
If I were those NHL players that came in and tried to convince Vesey to sign here only to get snubbed I'd be pissed. Hopefully they give it to the new Ranger any chance they get.

As for Krejci being disappointed about his wingers, he's right there too. I didn't like them moving Lucic way back when. But the cap space!!! The cap space was just used on an older Backes, for essentially the same qualities, so I maintain frustrated by that move. And I think a lot of the negative press and waning interest surrounding this team stems from them moving a cult hero like Looch. I know it's not in vogue to say you like hitting, and you think leadership and physical play matter, but at the very least that's what this fanbase likes and hasn't got enough of since #17 was dealt. For cap space. That we used. On Backes.

Im still not a fan of the message it sent to the vets, slobbing on Vesey who has proven less than every established player on our roster getting courted and offered playing time when they've had to work to earn it/

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

Bill, I know two seasons ago I kept saying how the upcoming decision on Looch was the hardest one to make, because he really might not age well and he has never found a level between "100%" and "useless" to help get through 82 games.

I didn't want to move him, but when I was honest it felt like that's what Belichick would do, so it was probably right.

However, they then went out and gave Beleskey a lot of years to try and fill in some of what they lost with Looch, and then went out and gave Backes even more to do the same.

So their two biggest FA signings were designed to replace what they lost in letting Looch go.

So why not just keep him! If that's what you value and want, why not keep Looch? It has made no sense to me whatsoever. This is why I don't think they have anything resembling a coherent plan.

I would take Looch on his deal right now over Backes and his. And yes, they got Chiller and the 29th overall pick from moving him, but I'd take Looch back last year over those two.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I never for a second doubted Chiarelli was trying hard to improve the team.

We laughed/mocked/got angry at him when he would say "it's hard to make trades."

Pro sports GMs don't get "Ps" for effort. Results are the only thing that count.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Bill, I know two seasons ago I kept saying how the upcoming decision on Looch was the hardest one to make, because he really might not age well and he has never found a level between "100%" and "useless" to help get through 82 games.

I didn't want to move him, but when I was honest it felt like that's what Belichick would do, so it was probably right.

However, they then went out and gave Beleskey a lot of years to try and fill in some of what they lost with Looch, and then went out and gave Backes even more to do the same.

So their two biggest FA signings were designed to replace what they lost in letting Looch go.

So why not just keep him! If that's what you value and want, why not keep Looch? It has made no sense to me whatsoever. This is why I don't think they have anything resembling a coherent plan.

I would take Looch on his deal right now over Backes and his. And yes, they got Chiller and the 29th overall pick from moving him, but I'd take Looch back last year over those two.

Good post Mike and I know it was a question for Bill but I thought I give it a stab.

I too was saddened by the loss of Looch, there was a nostalgia that came with a player like that. That said, you're 100% right in that it was a Belichick esque move and the Bruins attempted to get in front of a problem before it occurred.

Now, with Beleskey, yes the team was trying to replace an element of what Looch brought but they did so at a massive discount. Also you talk of Looch's compete level and how he has always been just 110% engaged or just going through the motions but nothing in between, Beleskey while not as skilled as Lucic is always engaged and always giving his all. He is one of those players who is frustrating talent wise but not effort wise. As for Backes I have said since day one he is a Loui replacement rather than a Lucic replacement. He has size and lays some big hits but he does so while while providing good offense and great two way ability. What really sells Backes for me is he also can play RW which is a huge position of need for Boston but can also slot in as a third center and cover up for Spooner and take faceoffs. He is a Swiss army knife similar to Loui but he plays the two positions Boston needs.

I still think there is a plan, I still think Sweeney envisions a more mobile defense that can transition the puck. I still think he wants to be heavy to play against and strong down the middle. I also wouldn't be shocked to see Spooner moved this year for some help on the back end as Vatrano pushes for a full time role.

I don't think everything has gone as Sweeney has envisioned so far but even Chiarelli had his Dave Lewis esque mistakes early on in his tenure. Sweeney was just handed a far less talented prospect pool and a far worse cap situation.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Lucic was still here the year before and no playoffs, correct?

There is ZERO guarantee you get the 2015-16 LA production in Boston.

Beleskey gives you the hitting and physicality Looch did at a fraction of the price, and while he won't score as much, I take the Beleskey deal over the current Lucic deal all week long and twice on Sunday.

I think the Backes deal is more about getting a strong defensive guy in close games (that you can slot in at C), adding some physicality (that the B's could have used even if 17 was still here), and a vocal leader. I don't see him as a Lucic replacemnet at all.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Lucic was still here the year before and no playoffs, correct?

There is ZERO guarantee you get the 2015-16 LA production in Boston.

Beleskey gives you the hitting and physicality Looch did at a fraction of the price, and while he won't score as much, I take the Beleskey deal over the current Lucic deal all week long and twice on Sunday.

I think the Backes deal is more about getting a strong defensive guy in close games (that you can slot in at C), adding some physicality (that the B's could have used even if 17 was still here), and a vocal leader. I don't see him as a Lucic replacemnet at all.

Being able to do it against top competition means something. Lucic played against top pairing defencemen while Beleseky played against weaker competition on the third line. Simply put it isn't even a contest, Lucic is that much better money included.

shackattack

Dec 9, 2015
Great post, he hasn`t landed the D-man many of us (and DS) knows he needs but it hasn`t been for lack of effort.

If he can find someone which will allow, as you alluded to, D-men to slide into a spot they are best suited for, things won`t be nearly as dire as they appear now on D

The only way he is going to pull out the D they need is an offer sheet.If not it will be lumps while we all wait for these young kids on D to arrive.It is not a good defence as is, which most are aware of and he has to fix it if he is serious about making playoffs.The good thing is there is time.ThankGod.8) I do not think Krecji will or could bring a top pairing D man now after another surgery and his cap hit to boot.Just my take.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
I am not much of a fan of Sweeney's work to this point but I don't look back on him trading Lucic. One issue with Sweeney has been poor asset management, this was his one shining victory in that regard, a mid first, Jones (later traded) and Miller for 1 year of Lucic was a fantastic trade, his best by far from an asset perspective and it helped the cap moving forward. Given everything else he has done, frankly I am not sure how he managed to pull it off.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Good post Mike and I know it was a question for Bill but I thought I give it a stab.

I too was saddened by the loss of Looch, there was a nostalgia that came with a player like that. That said, you're 100% right in that it was a Belichick esque move and the Bruins attempted to get in front of a problem before it occurred.

Now, with Beleskey, yes the team was trying to replace an element of what Looch brought but they did so at a massive discount. Also you talk of Looch's compete level and how he has always been just 110% engaged or just going through the motions but nothing in between, Beleskey while not as skilled as Lucic is always engaged and always giving his all. He is one of those players who is frustrating talent wise but not effort wise. As for Backes I have said since day one he is a Loui replacement rather than a Lucic replacement. He has size and lays some big hits but he does so while while providing good offense and great two way ability. What really sells Backes for me is he also can play RW which is a huge position of need for Boston but can also slot in as a third center and cover up for Spooner and take faceoffs. He is a Swiss army knife similar to Loui but he plays the two positions Boston needs.

I still think there is a plan, I still think Sweeney envisions a more mobile defense that can transition the puck. I still think he wants to be heavy to play against and strong down the middle. I also wouldn't be shocked to see Spooner moved this year for some help on the back end as Vatrano pushes for a full time role.

I don't think everything has gone as Sweeney has envisioned so far but even Chiarelli had his Dave Lewis esque mistakes early on in his tenure. Sweeney was just handed a far less talented prospect pool and a far worse cap situation.

Good stuff.

I think part of the reason they choose to give Backes the big bucks over Loui is because of the physical aspect. So it's not as thoug what you said about his versatility is wrong, but Loui has more skill, but Backes plays heavier, which I think they love, and it played a factor in targeting him.

Beleskey may cost a lot less than Looch, but he's not nearly the player Looch is either. Looch is a first line talent that can be the best player on the ice in some games. Beleskey, for all his effort, is a 3rd liner that you don't want playing special teams.

He should cost way less than Looch.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I am not much of a fan of Sweeney's work to this point but I don't look back on him trading Lucic. One issue with Sweeney has been poor asset management, this was his one shining victory in that regard, a mid first, Jones (later traded) and Miller for 1 year of Lucic was a fantastic trade, his best by far from an asset perspective and it helped the cap moving forward. Given everything else he has done, frankly I am not sure how he managed to pull it off.

The definition of a back-handed compliment :laugh:

I think in a few years when Lauzon, Carlo, and JFK are playing in the NHL, people will be asking Dougie who?

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
The definition of a back-handed compliment :laugh:

I think in a few years when Lauzon, Carlo, and JFK are playing in the NHL, people will be asking Dougie who?

I guess backhanded compliments are about as complimentary as I get about the Bruins the last while.

I hope you are right, we will see.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Obviously people can feel how they like about their usage and their linemates... BUT when you're getting 7+ mil its a real bad look to complain that you don't get to keep the big $ players of your choice on your line. Maybe something was lost in the translation/questioing. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad