Bruins Off Season III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
:naughty:
He didn't want to be here, boo hoo. Who cares, you still don't give solid assets up and frig present day.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

We are all hopefully optimistic about Zach S, JFK and Jeremy Lauzon, but there's no saying exactly how that turns out. This is why roster players in a trade of this magnitude, are essential. A bird in hand.

I like how BP13 put it when we saw a summer later, another fledgling, highly rated young D prospect like Larsson fetch Taylor Hall.

This is a flawed deal and it is clearly displayed by the hole we are disparately trying to fill right now. This most certainly can work out, but this type of risk should never be run.

Conversely, we may just be staring down the barrel of another playoff miss, and another regime change.

Finally you know I didn't compare player to player, no need to be patronizing. I know you're not a dumb man.

Speaking of which; Do I think Don Sweeney a fool? I sure don't think so, I just know that in this case -- he was fooled.

You and I are not going to agree on this. I didn't like Hamilton and questioned his defensive acumen well before it was in vogue to do it because he was dealt. I don't believe Sweeney is a fool or was fooled. He tried to keep Dougie, but when it became readily apparent that he didn't want to play for Boston, he moved on, period. We can debate if the return was adequate, but I have no issues with Sweeney dealing a player that didn't want to be here, particularly one as immature as Hamilton was supposed to be.

The Larsson deal was ridiculous. Whenever people pine for Chia, I look at that trade and am glad that he is elsewhere now. He overpaid because he was desperate for D. Something I hope Sweeney doesn't do.

ps I don't see a "regime change" even if the B's miss the PO's

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
He didn't want to be here, boo hoo. Who cares, you still don't give solid assets up and frig present day.

We are all hopefully optimistic about Zach S, JFK and Jeremy Lauzon, but there's no saying exactly how that turns out. This is why roster players in a trade of this magnitude, are essential. A bird in hand.

I like how BP13 put it when we saw a summer later, another fledgling, highly rated young D prospect like Larsson fetch Taylor Hall.

This is a flawed deal and it is clearly displayed by the hole we are disparately trying to fill right now. This most certainly can work out, but this type of risk should never be run.

Conversely, we may just be staring down the barrel of another playoff miss, and another regime change.

Finally you know I didn't compare player to player, no need to be patronizing. I know you're not a dumb man.

Speaking of which; Do I think Don Sweeney a fool? I sure don't think so, I just know that in this case -- he was fooled.
I was happy with the package they got the day it happened and I'm sure can be found with research.

I also would have given Dougie 5/33 like they offered and what he got

To ME he's a really good 2/3. I can live with the roaming style - heck I like it. He's soft but not a pansy. But he has zero of the Larry Robinson internal want it and leadership

My track record on hockey sucks so maybe this is just another pretty colored egg in the basket

1. He's overrated on HF- he looks from centeral casting and has very good offensive skills but his positioning is more poor than good and his hockey sense I think is average if that but boy can he skate and its hypnotic

2. The return for the 9th overall pick is a mid first and two mid seconds immediately in a strong draft
Exceeds his compensation of a 1,2,3 and as I said that day

The fact that they got

Sensyshyn
JFK
Lauzon

Looks like it could turn out well

Hamilton not only struggled but reports the bloom is off the rose

I read how Barzal is the second coming on HF and all these prospect lists and Reed of the Three Amigos tweets yesterday he calls OHL games and he would take Senyshyn

JFK is a player I get to see and I hate to compare to you know who but it's real. My bud who is an NHL scout told me they went to watch McAvoy and it was JFK they couldn't stop talking about.

Woodlief told me when I called to order red line that Lauzon was one of the top two D in the Q this year and would be a first round pick in this draft

Love hearing those 'we got nothing for Dougie' posts before any of these kids have even hit 20 years old :laugh:

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I was happy with the package they got the day it happened and I'm sure can be found with research.

I also would have given Dougie 5/33 like they offered and what he got

To ME he's a really good 2/3. I can live with the roaming style - heck I like it. He's soft but not a pansy. But he has zero of the Larry Robinson internal want it and leadership

My track record on hockey sucks so maybe this is just another pretty colored egg in the basket

1. He's overrated on HF- he looks from centeral casting and has very good offensive skills but his positioning is more poor than good and his hockey sense I think is average if that but boy can he skate and its hypnotic

2. The return for the 9th overall pick is a mid first and two mid seconds immediately in a strong draft
Exceeds his compensation of a 1,2,3 and as I said that day

The fact that they got

Sensyshyn
JFK
Lauzon

Looks like it could turn out well

Hamilton not only struggled but reports the bloom is off the rose

I read how Barzal is the second coming on HF and all these prospect lists and Reed of the Three Amigos tweets yesterday he calls OHL games and he would take Senyshyn

JFK is a player I get to see and I hate to compare to you know who but it's real. My bud who is an NHL scout told me they went to watch McAvoy and it was JFK they couldn't stop talking about.

Woodlief told me when I called to order red line that Lauzon was one of the top two D in the Q this year and would be a first round pick in this draft

Love hearing those 'we got nothing for Dougie' posts before any of these kids have even hit 20 years old :laugh:

I am excited about these kids also, heck, we always get to that. If people said 'we got nothing' they must have meant 'nothing now' or else, yes, they are just not being fair.

I know people who have been involved in ZS career, and at this stage, all reports are good, if not very good.

You've heard me rail over the years and you know I will always rail about the 'cut/loss line' this team seems to have.

They MUST improve their ability to develop young talent to keep up with the best teams in this league.

I understand trades are not even up in this day and age, but when a team needs to get younger, faster, and more mobile, I'll never want to see that exact type leaving town without a roster piece coming back.

I never over-rated Hamilton. I saw him play in junior and here. I heard the background crap and they should have done that homework *before* the draft, or if they had doubts, move that pick. Some x- Niagara players were not kind in their comments about their former team mate.

Now, we wait for this trade to come around, but for heavens sake, lets be patient (;

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
The moore singing I'm ok with, but the more I look at it and think about the Liles signing upsets me. 2M could have been better spent somewhere else, i don't think Liles would have been any better a signing that kris russel whos still available....

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Well there it is, another off-season failure.

So Sweeney is just suppose to over-pay to get the D-man they need?

If he shelled out four 1st round picks for Trouba would you consider that a "successful" off-season?

Same as Chiarelli found out when trying all season to get a RW to play with Lucic/Krejci back in 2015, when you have a glaring hole/need like the Bruins do in their Top 4 D, other GMs are only too happy to exploit it and bend you over.

My guess is GMs with D-men who may be available are hoping for a weak start by the Bruins and other teams and a desperation move by Sweeney or a fellow GM.

It's not like any GM has a Top D-man they absolutely HAVE to trade before the season begins. The first deadline to me is Dec. 1st if guys like Trouba or Lindholm aren't signed. You might be able to pry one of them out(or Myers or Fowler to make money available for the previously mentioned D-men).

St. L can go right up to the deadline and hold onto Shattenkirk.

Last edited:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
The moore singing I'm ok with, but the more I look at it and think about the Liles signing upsets me. 2M could have been better spent somewhere else, i don't think Liles would have been any better a signing that kris russel whos still available....

These guys are like ordering Dominos until the harvest is ready.

The future is not Liles & DoMo but McAvoy & JFK. It's just what teams do.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

You do realize the Bruins have about 5-6 million in cap space available right?

And are you getting Russell on a one-year deal? Because if he was willing to accept a one-year I would wager he'd have a job by now.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
I don't get how we're blasting Sweeney when we know little of what the costs are for dman out there right now.

What if it cost us Krug and a prospect or a 1st for Trouba? Would you guys do that?
Or Spooner +MCAvoy to get Fowler or Lindholm(more for Lindholm)?

I like Trouba, but he doesn't make the Bruins that much better when it costs us Krug + picks/prospects

I like Fowler and Linholm but does selling the farm to get them make us that much better?

I want us to get a defenceman, we need one, anyone who watches hockey knows this, but we need to make the right deal. Sweeney is in a tough spot, he's required to "Win Now", I assume from ownership, yet he's just retooled the roster with 5 1st round draft picks in the last two years, had a couple great 2nd rounders, signed some college kids who could make an impact and still have a core of Bergy-Chara-Rask-Krejci-Marchand-Krug-Backes

I say just give the guy a break. His one stupid move as GM was trading for Rinaldo and in reality, how many 3rd rounders turn out to be studs? If the right deal comes along, I'm confident he'll make it. Plus waiting out Anh and Winnipeg while it gets closer to the season and Trouba/Lindholm remained unsigned and Anh is "internally"cap strapped and may need to trade a Fowler, panicking and rishing a move is the wrong route. That's just my two cents.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
It's been a series of bummers since mid March

1. First in division and second in Conference at 70 games - over 4 points ahead of both Cup finalists - and amazingly missing playoffs

2. San Jose a low seed advancing to Cup finals for first time in history and costing Bruins 11 draft spots

3. Vesey caving in to agent (not saying dad) and going with Rangers

I'm optimistic though I like the drafts

They need to

Sign Marchand & have a healthy Krejci

As Krejci goes it seems so do the Bruins

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
I saw Kirk retweet this:

Really not surprised here. So we are rebuilding the defense while signing vet forwards to compete...it sure does makes sense. If I fell down a flight of stairs and became GM.

The more he does the less confidence I get. He absolutely needs to nail his draft picks or the Bruins will be medicore for awhile.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
2nd dud off season in a row. Even after all that window dressing (in on Lucic, in on Stamkos)

Better hope the kids answer the bell and we have career seasons from most of our players.

I say if Krejci is back in full form and Rask rebounds back into elite game-stealing levels of play, the Bruins can surprise.

If not....buckle up. It will be desperately nasty in these parts (;

If so, Chara may be moving along one way or another as this team trends/spirals downward.

We'll see if moving him instead of Hamilton was the better plan of attack in 2015.

Mobility is still an issue.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Duguay;121751321[B said:
]2nd dud off season in a row.[/B] Even after all that window dressing (in on Lucic, in on Stamkos)

Better hope the kids answer the bell and we have career seasons from most of our players.

I say if Krejci is back in full form and Rask rebounds back into elite game-stealing levels of play, the Bruins can surprise.

If not....buckle up. It will be desperately nasty in these parts (;

If so, Chara may be moving along one way or another as this team trends/spirals downward.

We'll see if moving him instead of Hamilton was the better plan of attack in 2015.

Mobility is still an issue.

1) Offseason still not over.

2) Signing Backes and drafting two guys in the first round wasn't "sexy" enough?

McAvoy, Lindgren, Zboril, Lauzon, Carlo can ALL skate. Not to mention Chiller, Morrow, Grizz, and O'Gara (more of a passer than skater, but moves well for his size and excellent puck retrieval).

It just amazes me how much pleasure people here seem to take in being negative and piling on. Why don't you guys just go kick a puppy and push an old lady down the stairs while you are at it :laugh:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't get how we're blasting Sweeney when we know little of what the costs are for dman out there right now.

What if it cost us Krug and a prospect or a 1st for Trouba? Would you guys do that?
Or Spooner +MCAvoy to get Fowler or Lindholm(more for Lindholm)?

I like Trouba, but he doesn't make the Bruins that much better when it costs us Krug + picks/prospects

I like Fowler and Linholm but does selling the farm to get them make us that much better?

I want us to get a defenceman, we need one, anyone who watches hockey knows this, but we need to make the right deal. Sweeney is in a tough spot, he's required to "Win Now", I assume from ownership, yet he's just retooled the roster with 5 1st round draft picks in the last two years, had a couple great 2nd rounders, signed some college kids who could make an impact and still have a core of Bergy-Chara-Rask-Krejci-Marchand-Krug-Backes

I say just give the guy a break. His one stupid move as GM was trading for Rinaldo and in reality, how many 3rd rounders turn out to be studs? If the right deal comes along, I'm confident he'll make it. Plus waiting out Anh and Winnipeg while it gets closer to the season and Trouba/Lindholm remained unsigned and Anh is "internally"cap strapped and may need to trade a Fowler, panicking and rishing a move is the wrong route. That's just my two cents.

Yes I'd pay a helluva amount for Lindholm, every team needs a defenseman you can build around or you're building a flawed team, Lindholm is a defenseman you can build around and he's 22y, he'd be a perfect fit but not available.
What is the right deal, a deal where the price is low or what?
Young top pairing defenseman aren't really made available, you need to get teams to make them available and the price is going to hurt.

Sweeney went and said he's going to do whatever it takes to add a quality transition defenseman early in the offseason. He hasn't so far, so on that he's failed quite badly.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Yes I'd pay a helluva amount for Lindholm, every team needs a defenseman you can build around or you're building a flawed team, Lindholm is a defenseman you can build around and he's 22y, he'd be a perfect fit but not available.
What is the right deal, a deal where the price is low or what?
Young top pairing defenseman aren't really made available, you need to get teams to make them available and the price is going to hurt.

Sweeney went and said he's going to do whatever it takes to add a quality transition defenseman early in the offseason. He hasn't so far, so on that he's failed quite badly.

Do you really think by "whatever it takes" Sweeney meant selling the farm to get it done?

I'm sure if he called Anaheim and offered up his next four 1st rounders for Fowler the Ducks would gladly hand him over. But does that make any sense?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be

Chia could have traded Hall for Dougie Hamilton in a second (I would imagine), but didn't, so I'm thinking that should tell us how he feels about Dougie vs Larsson.

I don't think Hamilton is in the same zip code as a Seth Jones or Adam Larsson personally.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Chia could have traded Hall for Dougie Hamilton in a second (I would imagine), but didn't, so I'm thinking that should tell us how he feels about Dougie vs Larsson.

I don't think Hamilton is in the same zip code as a Seth Jones or Adam Larsson personally.

I don't think it says that at all.

Does anyone really think Chiarelli wanted to trade Hall?

I'm sure he tried every combination he could of RNH, Eberle, Yakupov, etc. over the past year and couldn't get the D-man he wanted. He knew something had to be done, his franchise hasn't seen a playoff game in a decade.

Once his options were exhausted, and he had a line on Milan Lucic coming in who could move into a Top line LW job, he bit the bullet and moved Hall.

Things were quite different a year prior. He didn't have an immediate replacement available, and he didn't have a year to explore all his preferred trade options to find out assets like RNH/Eberle/Yakupov wasn't going to get it done.

I don't think it says a darn thing about his feelings about Larsson vs. Hamilton.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
1) Offseason still not over.

2) Signing Backes and drafting two guys in the first round wasn't "sexy" enough?

McAvoy, Lindgren, Zboril, Lauzon, Carlo can ALL skate. Not to mention Chiller, Morrow, Grizz, and O'Gara (more of a passer than skater, but moves well for his size and excellent puck retrieval).

It just amazes me how much pleasure people here seem to take in being negative and piling on. Why don't you guys just go kick a puppy and push an old lady down the stairs while you are at it :laugh:

And it amazes me even more that one could look at an un-bias pragmatic post from a 45 year passionate Bruins fan and equate that to attempted murder and animal abuse. It's not like I am the only one who is feeling underwhelmed and frankly I don't see the connection old buddy. Terrible analogy.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

well yes there is a sliding scale no doubt. like cards; need & desperation comes to play. But overall I think we all understand value and how high it is in today's salary cap world. I mean do a simple real estate style comparable on what young, mobile, high pick prospects are getting. Especially on the blueline.

As for Seth, I agree. Not convinced on Larsson but again, it's not even about individuals. It is about strategy and holding the course. So what if you have to sign Hamilton and then flip him when his value is high. It's what they do. Usually. (;

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

And it amazes me even more that one could look at an un-bias pragmatic post from a 45 year passionate Bruins fan and equate that to attempted murder and animal abuse. It's not like I am the only one who is feeling underwhelmed and frankly I don't see the connection old buddy. Terrible analogy.

I was joking, I thought obviously.

But let me get this straight, yesterday you made a sarcastic reference about EDM and McJesus not making the playoffs after I pointed out that Dougie and Boston didn't in his last year. When I commented, you were somewhat incredulous.

Now this?

Make up your mind.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009

Timing a bit different for Oilers as well ... yet another year of bottom feeding and kind of lucking into Pulijj(I don't know how to spell it), I think gave PC the depth to trade from and just another level of desperation. Had we traded Hamilton this year, I'm not so convinced a deal wouldn't have been there to be made. That said Larsson and Hamilton are certainly different types of players and there's the argument to be made that Larsson is probably the better fit for what the Oil need.

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC
As much as I want the Bruins to compete every season, I honestly didn't expect them to go out and get help on D this season at the expense of some of their new young picks. Management is in this for the long haul, and they've invested a lot in the future. The plan is to stick with developing within it seems. Going and trading some of our top young talent for someone like Fowler, especially if it costs multiple pieces, goes against what Sweeney has built the past couple of years.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I was joking, I thought obviously.

But let me get this straight, yesterday you made a sarcastic reference about EDM and McJesus not making the playoffs after I pointed out that Dougie and Boston didn't in his last year. When I commented, you were somewhat incredulous.

Now this?

Make up your mind.

Incredulous, ha ha. Never dude. This is debate and I know you were joking. Just cos you joke, doesn't mean I can't. You're not one of the 'it's funny until I say it isn't funny anymore' types are you Joe? It's hockey man & this is my favorite team. I am underwhelmed, so what? I'll get a bag of Cheetos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad