Bruins - Fastest 30 Wins Out of the Gate.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
No. Which Canadian fanbases do you think are heavily invested in the Bruins in 2023?
Toronto & Vancouver, at least large subset of each. Toronto for obvious reasons, many Vancouver fans have never gotten over 2011.

Ottawa and Montreal to a lesser degree just based on division.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Really thought they’d be 3rd in the Atlantic this year with the injuries to start the season, then they go on this heater.

Any glaring weakness that they need to address at the deadline?

Nothing glaring really. The D could use a physical shutdown type for the 2nd pair to bump Grzelcyk down to a pure 3rd pair/sheltered role.

But in terms of a bigger move I'd be hesitant just because the chemistry is so good now it's not worth risking it. The Top 6 and Top 4 are tough to improve with what will be out there at the deadline.

Marchand - Bergeron - DeBrusk
Pastrnak - Krejci - Zacha (Hall can move up)

Lindholm - Carlo
McAvoy - Grzelcyk

Love

Feb 29, 2012
They really should go for it this year for obvious reasons

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
The majority of Bruins fans aren't in denial about the "Center" situation in 2-3 years but it's getting annoyingly old when uninformed posters keep pushing the "old" roster narrative without actually looking at the roster.

They are set in D, G, Wingers and middle 6 C for the next 5-7 years with 3/4 of the roster under 30 a couple key players at 30/31(Hall and Coyle) and a couple old players (Bergeron/Marchand). They have already proven early in the season they could win without their second best forward Marchand and #1 D McAvoy for an extended period of time.

Key Players 31 and under:

Hall 31
Coyle 30
Pastrnak 26
Debrusk 25
Zacha 25
Frederic 24

Lindhom 28
Grzelcyk 28
McAvoy 24
Carlo 25
Clifton 27
Forbort 30

Ullmark 29
Swayman 24

Double standard Example: Every one keeps calling the Maple Leafs "young" yet ignore when healthy 4/6 (Giordano, Brodie, Holl, Muzzin) starting Defensemen are over the age of 30 while the Bruins D are all under 30 except for Forbort (age 30).

So why is this double standard only being pushed on the Bruins?

A huge part of the Bruins success is their young/mobile defensemen carrying the rush and that isn't going away anytime soon.

Last edited:

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
My experience with Bruins fans on this site has been very limited in recent years, but I'd say that they kind of keep to themselves associating mostly with each other. I don't at all think they're a small contingent, but many of them seem somewhat superstitious with respect to hyping up the team's success on the main board. Personally, I'm not superstitious at all, but I know that a great Regular Season is absolutely no guarantee for the Playoffs. Hell, you only have to look as far back as the 2018-19 Tampa Bay Regular Season and Playoffs.
Yes.
Favorites Tbay Lightening lost in 2019.
Favorites Colorado Aves won in 2022.

Predictions work that way. Ya never know.

Last edited:

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Nothing glaring really. The D could use a physical shutdown type for the 2nd pair to bump Grzelcyk down to a pure 3rd pair/sheltered role.

But in terms of a bigger move I'd be hesitant just because the chemistry is so good now it's not worth risking it. The Top 6 and Top 4 are tough to improve with what will be out there at the deadline.

Marchand - Bergeron - DeBrusk
Pastrnak - Krejci - Zacha (Hall can move up)

Lindholm - Carlo
McAvoy - Grzelcyk

The only one I would do is Carlo + Pick/Prospect for Parayko. Montgomery's Breakout system isn't ideal for the traditional Defensive D. I don't think the Blues would move Parayko though.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
If the Bruins loose 50% of the remaining games they finish with 110pts and probably closer to 115-120 if you factor OT Loss's. That would of landed them top 3 last year.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
I'd say because the Bruins fan contingent on HFBoards is relatively small and dare I say it, they're kinda meek. Nothing like the strength that the Leafs fanbase can bring.
Lets just say, there's a whole lot less "debating" going on over on the bruins board than leafs board.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Agreed. And Ill pick them over the leafs. Better goaltending. Better Dmen. Pretty even up front . And ya know.......

They are definitely the favorites in any match up no doubt, but the playoffs are always a test. If they stay healthy they are hands down the cup favorites at this point.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
Really thought they’d be 3rd in the Atlantic this year with the injuries to start the season, then they go on this heater.

Any glaring weakness that they need to address at the deadline?
They need to get a bigger/tougher stay at home D. Essentially all their D are PMD.

They struggle with turnovers, a heavy forecheck will cause them problems (as with most teams).

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
This year's Bruins is the best team I've ever seen. Nobody is beating them
They got to 30 wins faster than any team in the last 90 years.
That is ahead of a lot of super teams (dynasty teams included)

So this is either one of the best teams ever.........or this is one watered down era.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
They need to get a bigger/tougher stay at home D. Essentially all their D are PMD.

They struggle with turnovers, a heavy forecheck will cause them problems (as with most teams).
I like Derek Forbort. Smart stay at home Dman that has done a nice job on the PK.

Lindholm and Macavoy are PMD for sure.......but equally skilled at playing the stay at home Dman. They both play very well according to the score and the clock.

One thru six I like the Bruins D better than any teams this season. However Aves when healthy still tops.

Expect the Bruins to add depth Dmen at deadline if not sooner. As most contenders do.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
this bruins team is the best one ive seen since 2013 and even 2019 - who had it's flaws, I would argue they don't even have any glaring holes (2013 they did on D and their forwards got decimated as the playoffs wore on) in 2019 they had some issues 5-5 and their D and forwards could get pushed around too easily

this year they have a good blend of everything

that said, the leafs have to eventually beat the bruins, and it would figure that it would be this year even though previous renditions were weaker teams that did beat the leafs.

carolina I think we'll beat, and this is the year they finally beat tampa

so, if the leafs face tampa and beat tampa, i think thatll be their toughest match up

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Or the 13-14 Bruins, amazing team but got stumped by your Habs in the second round
Loved that series! Cheers

Although that Bs team missed the pay offs the next two seasons. Didn't have the record breaking numbers this team is rolling with.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
As a Habs fan this is the least I've ever hated Boston, I don't actively cheer against them anymore

I hated them so much when they had Lucic, Chara, Ferrence, Thornton, etc. But a lot of the annoying players left and Bergeron has only gained more respect. They've also helped contribute to some hilarious Leafs playoff chokes, and Montreal hasn't met them in the playoffs in forever.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
The majority of Bruins fans aren't in denial about the "Center" situation in 2-3 years but it's getting annoyingly old when uninformed posters keep pushing the "old" roster narrative without actually looking at the roster.

They are set in D, G, Wingers and middle 6 C for the next 5-7 years with 3/4 of the roster under 30 a couple key players at 30/31(Hall and Coyle) and a couple old players (Bergeron/Marchand). They have already proven early in the season they could win without their second best forward Marchand and #1 D McAvoy for an extended period of time.

Hall 31
Coyle 30
Pastrnak 26
Debrusk 25
Zacha 25
Frederic 24

Lindhom 28
Grzelcyk 28
McAvoy 24
Carlo 25
Clifton 27
Forbort 30

Ullmark 29
Swayman 24

Double standard Example: Every one keeps calling the Maple Leafs "young" yet ignore when healthy 4/6 (Giordano, Brodie, Holl, Muzzin) starting Defensemen are over the age of 30 while the Bruins D are all under 30 except for Forbort (age 30).

A huge part of the Bruins success is their young/mobile defensemen carrying the rush and that isn't going away anytime soon.
Not to mention, every other team in the league would love to have our current 37-year old #1 center. Mostly because he doesn't play like he's 37. Although he is #37. :laugh:

Most would likely take Krejci too. Especially Playoff Krejci.

In the end, all the age talk is largely silly. Look at the results.

Reactions: Ladyfan

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
this bruins team is the best one ive seen since 2013 and even 2019 - who had it's flaws, I would argue they don't even have any glaring holes (2013 they did on D and their forwards got decimated as the playoffs wore on) in 2019 they had some issues 5-5 and their D and forwards could get pushed around too easily

this year they have a good blend of everything

that said, the leafs have to eventually beat the bruins, and it would figure that it would be this year even though previous renditions were weaker teams that did beat the leafs.

carolina I think we'll beat, and this is the year they finally beat tampa

so, if the leafs face tampa and beat tampa, i think thatll be their toughest match up

Eh, when healthy the 2013 defense was a wagon. The problem is they all got hurt in the playoff run.

Chara - Seidenberg
Hamilton - Boychuk
Ference - McQuaid

Pkus Krug's coming out party in the playoffs with Bartkowski and Redden rounding out the depth at 8 and 9

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Eh, when healthy the 2013 defense was a wagon. The problem is they all got hurt in the playoff run.

Chara - Seidenberg
Hamilton - Boychuk
Ference - McQuaid

Pkus Krug's coming out party in the playoffs with Bartkowski and Redden rounding out the depth at 8 and 9

i remember bartkowski and redden logging significant time and that was the hole

didn't seidenberg get his tendon injury that year or was that 2012?

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Boston has played like a machine so far this season.

But Tampa Bay also looked like a machine in 2019, and then they got swept in the 1st-round against Columbus.
The Bruins play a style much more conducive to playoff success than that Tampa team did

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014

Hall 31
Coyle 30
Pastrnak 26
Debrusk 25
Zacha 25
Frederic 24

Lindhom 28
Grzelcyk 28
McAvoy 24
Carlo 25
Clifton 27
Forbort 30

Ullmark 29
Swayman 24

I'd say it's probably because the core outside of Tavares is all young. Matthews/Marner are 25, Nylander is 26, Rielly is 28. But you are correct, the defense for Toronto will needed to be re-tooled soon. That's already begun with Sandin/Liljergen establishing themselves as quality NHL defenseman

2 of Boston's foundational pieces are getting up there in age (Bergeron and Marchand) so people typically call them old as a result, whether it's warranted or not.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Bruins are a tremendous team having a fantastic season, no doubt about it. They are definitely the team to beat this season.

Would note that some of it seems to have been due to the fact that they have been able to stay relatively healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad