Bruins - Fastest 30 Wins Out of the Gate.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
All else isn't equal though. And the fact remains that your Bruins have just as much chance of losing in the 1st round than they do of winning the Stanley Cup.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, considering you are a Bruins fan. I checked your post history to confirm that, because only someone who is butthurt and getting defensive about things will end a post with "Thus ends your lesson in statistics".

Anyways, let's store this away until the playoffs. I suspect that some Bruins fans are getting a little ahead of themselves based on things said in this thread and others.

I have seen teams better than this year's Bruins lose in the playoffs.
Why are you denying the FACT that the presidents trophy winner has won the Cup more than any single placement in the standings?

It’s literally an undeniable fact, you are more most likely to win the Cup as a president trophy winner than finishing 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc

Also no team since the 1920s has had a better record than the Bruins at this point in the year. If you’ve “seen better teams” then you sure haven’t seen many or you are the oldest poster in HFBoards history

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
That will depend greatly on who they end up facing.

They would beat any potential #4 seed in the Atlantic rather easily. If the Atlantic ends up with 4 playoff teams, that is.

A potential matchup against a wild-card team from the Metropolitan could give them 2 opponents that could upset them. I could see both the Rangers and the Islanders beating them in a playoff series. The Rangers and the Islanders wouldn't be favoured, but I could see them winning a long series against the Bruins.

All of this is assuming that Boston wins the Atlantic, which I don't think is any guarantee at this point.

They have been on a hot-streak for the entire season, but Toronto is still lurking. The Bruins are still only 1 slump away from Toronto catching up to them. If that were to happen, I wouldn't pick the Bruins in any playoff series against the Lightning.
I don’t think teams have 41 game “hot streaks”.

That’s just called a good hockey team.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Wow better than 76/77 Canadiens
60-8-12
Ya dont half to tell me. Better than the 85 Oilers. 82 Islanders. Any RedWings or Leaf team team ever iced.

Its eithetr crazy good or this is one watered down league with far too many bad teams.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

They would beat any potential #4 seed in the Atlantic rather easily. If the Atlantic ends up with 4 playoff teams, that is.

A potential matchup against a wild-card team from the Metropolitan could give them 2 opponents that could upset them. I could see both the Rangers and the Islanders beating them in a playoff series. The Rangers and the Islanders wouldn't be favoured, but I could see them winning a long series against the Bruins.

All of this is assuming that Boston wins the Atlantic, which I don't think is any guarantee at this point.

They have been on a hot-streak for the entire season, but Toronto is still lurking. The Bruins are still only 1 slump away from Toronto catching up to them. If that were to happen, I wouldn't pick the Bruins in any playoff series against the Lightning.
The Bruins would need to go 0-6 while the Leafs go 6-0 for the Leafs to catch them at this point. That's asking way more than just a slump away.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I don’t think teams have 41 game “hot streaks”.

That’s just called a good hockey team.
No, the Dallas Stars are a good hockey team. The Leafs are a good hockey team. Th Canes are a good hockey team. The 2023 Bruins a a f***en great hckey team on pace to surpass all the great hockey teams that came before them.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
They got to 30 wins faster than any team in the last 90 years.
That is ahead of a lot of super teams (dynasty teams included)

So this is either one of the best teams ever.........or this is one watered down era.
Well the "wins" stat is watered down for sure. If you really wanted to compare against the last 90 years, I guess you'd only count regulation wins as it used to be that if the game was tied after 60 minutes, that was that.

In any case, Boston is impressive as hell. I didn't think anyone would ever touch the MTL record of only loss at home all season. So far, Boston has yet to lose a home game in regulation which pretty mind blowing. Long way to go still obviously but still, impressive as hell.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Ya dont half to tell me. Better than the 85 Oilers. 82 Islanders. Any RedWings or Leaf team team ever iced.

Its eithetr crazy good or this is one watered down league with far too many bad teams.
Or, we're only half way through the season so it's too early to way that they're better than the 77 MTL team or whoever else.

Score08

Apr 6, 2017
All else isn't equal though. And the fact remains that your Bruins have just as much chance of losing in the 1st round than they do of winning the Stanley Cup.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, considering you are a Bruins fan. I checked your post history to confirm that, because only someone who is butthurt and getting defensive about things will end a post with "Thus ends your lesson in statistics".

Anyways, let's store this away until the playoffs. I suspect that some Bruins fans are getting a little ahead of themselves based on things said in this thread and others.

I’ll call your bluff, name these better teams you’ve seen lose in the play offs that started their season with the same record as the bruins this year?
If bruins fans are getting ahead of themselves, perhaps it’s because that’s what fans do, especially when their team is doing something almost unheard of. But I agree, let’s check back in the playoffs.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Or, we're only half way through the season so it's too early to way that they're better than the 77 MTL team or whoever else.
No one said that.
It's not to early to say that they have a better record at the half way mark than of ALL of those teams did at the half way mark.
Would not be the first time you heard the phrase "on pace for" in sports is it?

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

I've never predicted a sporting event in my life, and I'm not going to start now, so save your accusations for one who deserves them. And really, "butthurt"? Middle school called, it wants its meme back.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I've never predicted a sporting event in my life, and I'm not going to start now, so save your accusations for one who deserves them. And really, "butthurt"? Middle school called, it wants its meme back.
🤣

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
The stat lines are simply historical right now. It's pretty amazing. We don't need to talk about T.O. or the playoffs or watered-down or Presidents trophy or whatever... just kinda appreciate. It's pretty wild.

An 11 point lead over second place in the NHL. That's T.O. and Carolina.
Carolina is closer to 6th place in their own division than to Boston.
Toronto is closer to being 16h in the league than to Boston.
That's insanity.

Their +68 goal differential is crazy. In context that's +1.7 goals a game. The next best is Dallas with .8. Over double.
1st in gf/g and 1st in ga/g
with a 26 point cushion on the playoffs.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
No one said that.
It's not to early to say that they have a better record at the half way mark than of ALL of those teams did at the half way mark.
Would not be the first time you heard the phrase "on pace for" in sports is it?
Sure. The post you were responding to mentioned MTL's record for the entire season, then you responded which made me wonder but whatever.

Do they really have the better record than all those teams? Not saying they don't, just that people often do these comparisons by looking at raw point totals which makes no sense as they used to award 2 points per game and now, it's 2+ points per game.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005

Going into tonight’s games the Bruins are 11 points ahead of the Leafs. The 16th place team is 11 points behind the Leafs.

Anything can happen l suppose but the Leafs catching the Bruins is highly unlikely.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Sure. The post you were responding to mentioned MTL's record for the entire season, then you responded which made me wonder but whatever.

Do they really have the better record than all those teams? Not saying they don't, just that people often do these comparisons by looking at raw point totals which makes no sense as they used to award 2 points per game and now, it's 2+ points per game.
I stated clearly
- fastest team to 30 wins .
- Undefeated at home in regulation at the halfway mark of season

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Also no team since the 1920s has had a better record than the Bruins at this point in the year. If you’ve “seen better teams” then you sure haven’t seen many or you are the oldest poster in HFBoards history

I’ll call your bluff, name these better teams you’ve seen lose in the play offs that started their season with the same record as the bruins this year?
If bruins fans are getting ahead of themselves, perhaps it’s because that’s what fans do, especially when their team is doing something almost unheard of. But I agree, let’s check back in the playoffs.
It isn't always about regular season records that determine a better team. That helps but a 115-120 point team is sometimes better than a 125-130 point team.

Look at last year's Panthers.

Also: The 2020 Lightning and 2021 Lightning were better teams than the 2019 Lightning that got swept in the 1st-round, despite the fact that the 2019 Lightning were breaking league records as it related to their win totals.

The reason both the 2020 and 2021 versions were better is that they were hungrier and more poised when it counted (as opposed to 2019, when they lost focus after the first game of the first round).

What if I tell you that I have a suspicion that the 2022-23 Bruins are a bit of a "paper tiger"?

They haven't looked good the last 3 years in the playoffs, and are icing a very similar roster this year compared to previous years.

Maybe they do what the Lightning did in 2020 and 2021. Play with more hunger and more poise.

But I will need to see it to believe it.

I am not an anti-Bruins person. I am very neutral when it comes to them, and even find myself cheering for them if they are playing against a few select teams.

I simply don't think their roster is as good as it has played through the first half of this season.

We will have to see in the playoffs though.

To be honest, I hope they go on a long playoff run because that will mean some select teams don't make it very far.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I stated clearly - fastest team to 30 wins .
Undefeated at home in regulation at the halfway mark of season
I asked what was the Habs record in 76/77 after 41 games , since Bostons is better apparently.
Habs were 60-8-12 in 72 games

Second question is , does it beat a RW record since this is a ROW record.

Need to know what habs pace was

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I will repeat and go slower.........they are off to a better first half thst ALL of the great teams of the past.

But thanks for the new flash - the season isn't over yet!
Damn, and I was all set for the first round. 😉

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
It isn't always about regular season records that determine a better team. That helps but a 115-120 point team is sometimes better than a 125-130 point team.

Look at last year's Panthers.

Also: The 2020 Lightning and 2021 Lightning were better teams than the 2019 Lightning that got swept in the 1st-round, despite the fact that the 2019 Lightning were breaking league records as it related to their win totals.

The reason both the 2020 and 2021 versions were better is that they were hungrier and more poised when it counted (as opposed to 2019, when they lost focus after the first game of the first round).

What if I tell you that I have a suspicion that the 2022-23 Bruins are a bit of a "paper tiger"?

They haven't looked good the last 3 years in the playoffs, and are icing a very similar roster this year compared to previous years.

Maybe they do what the Lightning did in 2020 and 2021. Play with more hunger and more poise.

But I will need to see it to believe it.

I am not an anti-Bruins person. I am very neutral when it comes to them, and even find myself cheering for them if they are playing against a few select teams.

I simply don't think their roster is as good as it has played through the first half of this season.

We will have to see in the playoffs though.

To be honest, I hope they go on a long playoff run because that will mean some select teams don't make it very far.
They will. The Bruins went on a "long runs" 2011; 2013, 2019 ......they are due and more importantly thay are that good.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Here is habs record after 40 games in 76/77

Habs were 29-5-6

Bruins are 32-4-4 with 27 RW wins

So looks like its fact ,
But just some context for comparison and how close teams are.

I guess if Bruins of today played in 77 rules , record would of been
27-4-9

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I asked what was the Habs record in 76/77 after 41 games , since Bostons is better apparently.
Habs were 60-8-12 in 72 games

Second question is , does it beat a RW record since this is a ROW record.

Need to know what habs pace was
2023 Bruins - Fasted team in 90 years to 30 wins.

Yes. They may not keep it up.
Yes they may not catch the 77 Habs.

But right now it's most impressive that they got 30 wins faster than not only the 76-77 Habs.......but every team in the last 90 years as well.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladyfan

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I stated clearly
- fastest team to 30 wins .
- Undefeated at home in regulation at the halfway mark of season
It seems like you got lost somewhere so let me recap.

You said:
"Better than the 85 Oilers. 82 Islanders. Any RedWings or Leaf team team ever iced."

I asked you this:
"Do they really have the better record than all those teams? Not saying they don't, just that people often do these comparisons by looking at raw point totals which makes no sense as they used to award 2 points per game and now, it's 2+ points per game.

The 85 Oilers and the 82 Islanders didn't have the benefit of being able to win in OT or in shootouts so I will ask again:
Do they really have the better record than all those teams?

Hint - if you're comparing number wins with those teams, then you probably shouldn't be counting Boston wins that went to OT.

Do you understand now?
I will repeat and go slower.........they are off to a better first half thst ALL of the great teams of the past.

But thanks for the new flash - the season isn't over yet!
Damn, and I was all set for the first round. 😉
How many times are you going to quote and respond to the same post? Calm down FFS. And see the post above - you've yet to answer if you've taken into account that wins are easier to put on the board today then it was for most of the "great teams of the past".

If you haven't considered taken that into account then that's fine, no need to get upset. Just say you don't know, nothing wrong with that, I don't know either which is why I was asking in the first place. :)

Here is habs record after 40 games in 76/77

Habs were 29-5-6

Bruins are 32-4-4 with 27 RW wins

So looks like its fact ,
But just some context for comparison and how close teams are.

I guess if Bruins of today played in 77 rules , record would of been
27-4-9
Hey, someone has the answer to my question. Thank you sir!

So Habs had 29 wins, Bruins have 27 regulation wins so this Boston "better first half than ALL of the great teams of the past" doesn't seem to be quite accurate. Not that it matters, but if people are going to brag, they should get their facts straight.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Avs get healthy and roll over the weak west and await whoever survives the slobber knocker group of death that is the eastern conference.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
2023 Bruins - Fasted team in 90 years to 30 wins.

Yes. They may not keep it up.
Yes they may not catch the 77 Habs.

But right now it's most impressive that they got 30 wins faster than not only the 76-77 Habs.......but every team in the last 90 years as well.

Cheers
Yes as shown
More ROW wins (wins in regulation and overtime)

But less wins RW (regulation wins )
After 40 games

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

This reeks of wishful thinking.

Reactions: b in vancouver

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad