Bruins - Fastest 30 Wins Out of the Gate.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
As a Habs fan, I actually don’t hate the Bruins when we aren’t in a playoff series against them. It’s probably because the head to head in series against them has been pretty even since I started watching, and the Habs have screwed them on more than one occasion lol.

To me they’re a respected rival. The stakes just feel higher in series against them, and they have had a lot of players over the years that I like. I was happy when they won the Cup in 2011 - it was a hard won victory and a classic final series, imo.

I’d be fine if they won this year. I just don’t feel the same disdain for them as I do for (in descending order of disgust): TOR, PHI, CAR, NYR.

Team is fun to watch right now from what I’ve seen.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Eh, when healthy the 2013 defense was a wagon. The problem is they all got hurt in the playoff run.

Chara - Seidenberg
Hamilton - Boychuk
Ference - McQuaid

Pkus Krug's coming out party in the playoffs with Bartkowski and Redden rounding out the depth at 8 and 9
Wasnt Ference in there as well? I recall him being a terrible in the finals..........and gone to Edmonton soon there after.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
and the Aves looked like machine last season and won the Cup going 16-4.
They didn't look like a machine during the regular season.

A very good regular season. But not quite like the 2019 Lightning or this year's Bruins so far.

Which was kind of the point I was trying to make in my post.

Looking like a machine during the regular season doesn't guarantee any kind of playoff success.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Wasnt Ference in there as well? I recall him being a terrible in the finals..........and gone to Edmonton soon there after.
Yeah, he coughed up a bad turnover in the third period of game 1 of the finals that caused a goal.

Hamilton never played after the ECSF against the Rangers when Seidenberg and Ference came back

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Yeah, he coughed up a bad turnover in the third period of game 1 of the finals that caused a goal.

Hamilton never played after the ECSF against the Rangers when Seidenberg and Ference came back
Ference also scored an own goal ....in game one (i think)against Hawks.
Also was out to lunch on game winning Hawks goal in game 6.
I think he was gone within a week getting of losing in the finals.

A very good regular season. But not quite like the 2019 Lightning or this year's Bruins so far.

Looking like a machine during the regular season doesn't guarantee any kind of playoff success.
Ahh Right.
Know what does guarantee play off success? Absolutely nothing.
But thanks for the reminder.
My pick is Bruins spectacular , deep roster, with fabulous goaltending for the Cup in 2023.

Last edited:

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Wow. Frence over Hamilton? Can't even imagine that today.

Last edited:

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
What world are you living in where any of that is true? Firstly, I cant speak for Habs fans but I don't think about Boston, they haven't been worth hating for years. Secondly, on the occasion they are mentioned in our media, it's one giant ass kiss. For the unenlightened, our media gains clicks by being negative and critical of the home team, any chance they have to dump on them and use a better team, such as Boston, as a comparable to gage how far off the Leafs are is one they'll take. Your narrative doesn't fit.

And we aren't talking about their run because we won the only game we played against them. What Boston does against everyone else is irrelevant.
Good scouting, goalie coach and luck

Canada, the world of TSN and Sportnet aka Leafs Land.

And there's no article on this incredible feat on either site... interesting.

If the Leafs achieved this it would be front page for a month + an additional 2-4 threads on the main page on HFBoards + a couple polls attempting to validate this is the greatest team to ever. On top of that there would be a dozen articles from LeafNation/TSN/SportsNet & Co fueling leaf fans to believe this is the greatest team in the history of the NHL. + multiple podcast, sportnet/tsn special editions episodes regurgitating everything mentioned above.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoary Marmot

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Canada, the world of TSN and Sportnet aka Leafs Land.

And there's no article on this incredible feat on either site... interesting.
If the Leafs achieved this it would be front page for a month + an additional 2-4 threads on the main page on HFBoards + a couple polls attempting to validate this is the greatest team to ever. On top of that there would be a dozen articles from LeafNation/TSN/SportsNet & Co fueling leaf fans to believe this is the greatest team in the history of the NHL.
Yep, yep, and definitely.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Being bad in the regular season doesn’t guarantee playoff success either. Which of the two would you prefer ?

Regardless, the presidents trophy winners end up winning the Cup more than anyone else, so they’re in the best position you could want. This idea of “you should save it for the post season” doesn’t exist.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Being bad in the regular season doesn’t guarantee playoff success either. Which of the two would you prefer ?

Regardless, the presidents trophy winners end up winning the Cup more than anyone else, so they’re in the best position you could want. This idea of “you should save it for the post season” doesn’t exist.
The President's Trophy winners have won the Stanley Cup 8 times out of the 33 times the President's Trophy has been awarded.

They have also lost in the 1st-round 7 times during the same time period.

So winning the President's Trophy doesn't really give you any real edge at even making it through the 1st round compared to winning the Stanley Cup.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
The President's Trophy winners have won the Stanley Cup 8 times out of the 33 times the President's Trophy has been awarded.

So winning the President's Trophy doesn't really give you any real edge at even making it through the 1st round compared to winning the Stanley Cup.
Yes it does.

The presidents trophy winner has won more times than any other place in the standings.

If you’re doing 1st place vs the field then of course it’s not going to look great, but that doesn’t change that they’ve won more than anyone else.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

All else being equal, the President's Trophy winner should statistically win 2 Cups in 33 chances (33 / 16 place finishes). Actual results have them winning 4 times as much, far more than any other single place finish. Thus ends your lesson in statistics.

Reactions: TropicOfNoReturn

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida

It gives the immediate edge of guaranteeing home ice advantage in every series the team plays in. Not insignificant.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
All else being equal, the President's Trophy winner should statistically win 2 Cups in 33 chances (33 / 16 place finishes). Actual results have them winning 4 times as much, far more than any other single place finish. Thus ends your lesson in statistics.
All else isn't equal though. And the fact remains that your Bruins have just as much chance of losing in the 1st round than they do of winning the Stanley Cup.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, considering you are a Bruins fan. I checked your post history to confirm that, because only someone who is butthurt and getting defensive about things will end a post with "Thus ends your lesson in statistics".

Anyways, let's store this away until the playoffs. I suspect that some Bruins fans are getting a little ahead of themselves based on things said in this thread and others.

I have seen teams better than this year's Bruins lose in the playoffs.

• Haha
Reactions: Ladyfan

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Exactly !

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
All else isn't equal though. And the fact remains that your Bruins have just as much chance of losing in the 1st round than they do of winning the Stanley Cup.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, considering you are a Bruins fan. I checked your post history to confirm that, because only someone who is butthurt and getting defensive about things will end a post with "Thus ends your lesson in statistics".

Anyways, let's store this away until the playoffs. I suspect that some Bruins fans are getting a little ahead of themselves based on things said in this thread and others.

Is there a graph that shows the chances of winning the Cup for each playoff spot?

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

I see 29 teams worse than this yeas Bruins lose every year in the play offs.

But can you name any "teams" that got to 30 wins this fast?
Can you name "teams" who went undefeated in regulation at home three and half months into the season?
Other than this year's Bruins that is.

Reactions: Score08

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

I expect the Bs to get into the playoffs.

It is way too early to guess how they will do.

For now, I am having a blast watching them win. We will see.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Which low seed team eliminates them in the opening round?
That will depend greatly on who they end up facing.

They would beat any potential #4 seed in the Atlantic rather easily. If the Atlantic ends up with 4 playoff teams, that is.

A potential matchup against a wild-card team from the Metropolitan could give them 2 opponents that could upset them. I could see both the Rangers and the Islanders beating them in a playoff series. The Rangers and the Islanders wouldn't be favoured, but I could see them winning a long series against the Bruins.

All of this is assuming that Boston wins the Atlantic, which I don't think is any guarantee at this point.

They have been on a hot-streak for the entire season, but Toronto is still lurking. The Bruins are still only 1 slump away from Toronto catching up to them. If that were to happen, I wouldn't pick the Bruins in any playoff series against the Lightning.

Reactions: kingsholygrail

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Bruins in 2022 -23 hit the quickest 30 wins out of the gate since 1930.
Cup coming out of East this season.
Canes will be Bruins toughest opponent.
But Im on record picking Bergeron and the boys in Boston to hoist the Cup in June 2023. They lack nothing!
Wow better than 76/77 Canadiens
60-8-12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad