Bruins - Fastest 30 Wins Out of the Gate.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
When a goal scorer breaks a record for goals scored today ......do we differentiate the total goals he scored in regulation from the thise scored OT 3 on 3?
No the NHL does not. .
Nor is it done in wins.
60 goals is 60 goals....in 2023 or 1977
30 wins is 30 wins .....in 2023 or 1977

How many are done in 60 minutes as opposed to 65 minutes is not in the record books.

Last edited:
Reactions: Score08

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
When a goal scorer breaks a record for goals scored today ......do we differentiate the total goals he scored in regulation from the thise scored OT 3 on 3?
No the NHL does not. .
Nor is it done in wins.

How many are produced n 60 minutes as opposed to 65 minutes is not in the record books.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
No the NHL does not. .
Nor is it done in wins.

How many are done in 60 minutes as opposed to 65 minutes is not in the record books.
It's true, this OT/shootout gimmick nonsense means that unfortunately, much of what's in the record books should have an asterisk next to it.

BTW, I see you made this post, then quoted yourself without adding anything. I've never seen anyone do this before (and it seems really odd) so just curious as to what the point of this is?

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Brad Marchand: Hall of Famer? I would say yes but how much does reputation play a part? Boston has a historic run as a contending team now. I would suggest Marchand has as much to do with that as Bergeron.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Brad Marchand: Hall of Famer? I would say yes but how much does reputation play a part? Boston has a historic run as a contending team now. I would suggest Marchand has as much to do with that as Bergeron.
Sure, he does and as a duo they have been amazing for years. What is really nice this season is that they are not the only line scoring.

I don't know what will happen. The Bruins are playing as a team. The chemistry is so good. Every player is playing a role and they are all happy for each other. The new coach is looking good.

As a longtime fan I am having a blast. How far will the Bruins go?..I do not know. For now all is good.

Reactions: PB37

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
It's true, this OT/shootout gimmick nonsense means that unfortunately, much of what's in the record books should have an asterisk next to it.

BTW, I see you made this post, then quoted yourself without adding anything. I've never seen anyone do this before (and it seems really odd) so just curious as to what the point of this is?
Yea, but they dont have an astterisk next to them. So its just assumed when talking stats and records.

BTW - it was am error inputting on my part teach. Will there be an exam on this? Does spelling count?

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yea, but they dont have an astterisk next to them. So its just assumed when talking stats and records.

BTW - it was am error inputting on my part teach. Will there be an exam on this? Does spelling count?
I wasn't talking about records (and I'm not sure anyone keeps track of "records" for halfway marks of the season anyway). I was talking about you claim that the Bruins start was "better" than all those other great teams and your claim doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

Re. your error - I was just asking out of curiosity, not sure why you're being so sensitive. Take it easy, we're just having a conversation here. :)

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Without any major individual awards, Marchand will need to get in via stat padding and maybe another three years as one of the elite players and point producers in the league. 10 seasons as a PPG producer in an era where that means something combined with his status as an elite two way player and playoff performer should be enough. He should be able to hit 450 goals/1100 points by the time he hangs them up if he does choose to play another 3/4 years, barring any major injury.

I think his reputation helps highlight his name. The HOF isn't only filled with squeaky clean Lady Byng winners.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I wasn't talking about records (and I'm not sure anyone keeps track of "records" for halfway marks of the season anyway). I was talking about you claim that the Bruins start was "better" than all those other great teams and your claim doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

Re. your error - I was just asking out of curiosity, not sure why you're being so sensitive. Take it easy, we're just having a conversation here. :)
Lol.
My sarcasm doesn't translate well here.
Apologies.

I wasn't talking records at first either .....then I was challenged for the "on pace" to surpass some of the great teams remark.
I get it . The end of the season tells all.
But half the season does not exactly mean f*** all. The half season the Bruins had is still more that note worthy. Though by the way some others are so quick to trying to shit on it ......I get that not everyone is as impressed.
Let's revisit this at 3/4 pole and the end of season shall we.

My "prediction" is with the four lines preforming so well , blue line depth with a great top two, stellar goaltending, and excellent coaching. Pasternac on fire challenging McDavid for Rocket. Well, they lack nothing.
Could I be wrong .......of course . Could the nay sayers be wrong .....of course.

Cheers

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
The stat lines are simply historical right now. It's pretty amazing. We don't need to talk about T.O. or the playoffs or watered-down or Presidents trophy or whatever... just kinda appreciate. It's pretty wild.

An 11 point lead over second place in the NHL. That's T.O. and Carolina.
Carolina is closer to 6th place in their own division than to Boston.
Toronto is closer to being 16h in the league than to Boston.
That's insanity.

Their +68 goal differential is crazy. In context that's +1.7 goals a game. The next best is Dallas with .8. Over double.
1st in gf/g and 1st in ga/g
with a 26 point cushion on the playoffs.
All this just screams.... "peaking too early".

Tampa Round 1 sweep all over again.

• Haha
Reactions: Ladyfan

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Canada, the world of TSN and Sportnet aka Leafs Land.

And there's no article on this incredible feat on either site... interesting.

If the Leafs achieved this it would be front page for a month + an additional 2-4 threads on the main page on HFBoards + a couple polls attempting to validate this is the greatest team to ever. On top of that there would be a dozen articles from LeafNation/TSN/SportsNet & Co fueling leaf fans to believe this is the greatest team in the history of the NHL. + multiple podcast, sportnet/tsn special editions episodes regurgitating everything mentioned above.

You could make the argument since the new OT rules teams play it safe the last 5 minutes of the game for that guaranteed 1 point. There's less incentive to push/risk to close out a tight game.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Lol.
My sarcasm doesn't translate well here.
Apologies.

I wasn't talking records at first either .....then I was challenged for the "on pace" to surpass some of the great teams remark.
I get it . The end of the season tells all.
But half the season does not exactly mean f*** all. The half season the Bruins had is still more that note worthy. Though by the way some others are so quick to trying to shit on it ......I get that not everyone is as impressed.
Let's revisit this at 3/4 pole and the end of season shall we.

My "prediction" is with the four lines preforming so well , blue line depth with a great top two, stellar goaltending, and excellent coaching. Pasternac on fire challenging McDavid for Rocket. Well, they lack nothing.
Could I be wrong .......of course . Could the nay sayers be wrong .....of course.

Cheers

I thought you said they were on pace to surpass all the great teams, not just some of them. Perhaps I was mistaken, can't be bothered to check so I'll just say I agree with you that they are on pace to surpass not just some of, but most of the great teams.

What Boston is doing, I'm about as impressed as I could possibly be. Yes there's still a long way to go but on the other hand, 40 games is a really big sample and what they've been able to so far is just incredible. Boston scares the crap out of me right now, looking forward to see how the Leafs play against them on Saturday.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You could make the argument since the new OT rules teams play it safe the last 5 minutes of the game for that guaranteed 1 point. There's less incentive to push/risk to close out a tight game.
Yes I believe that is a valid point. Impossible to say how big a factor that is as teams typically didn't take a ton of chances at the end of a tie game even before the OT era but it's something for sure. Still, the fact remains that the league used to award 2 points per game, now they award more than that and wins are easier to come by, OT gives players a chance to pad their stats etc., comparing records between eras is just so difficult now.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I thought you said they were on pace to surpass all the great teams, not just some of them. Perhaps I was mistaken, can't be bothered to check so I'll just say I agree with you that they are on pace to surpass not just some of, but most of the great teams.

What Boston is doing, I'm about as impressed as I could possibly be. Yes there's still a long way to go but on the other hand, 40 games is a really big sample and what they've been able to so far is just incredible. Boston scares the crap out of me right now, looking forward to see how the Leafs play against them on Saturday.
👍👍 good match up Saturday HNIC

Bruins on pace for 139 points

Record holder 77 Habs 132 points.......... and all the other great teams.

77 Habs -132
96 Wings - 131
78 Habs - 129
19 Bolts - 128
76 Habs - 127
06 Wings - 124
22 Panthers 122
71 Bruins 121

Last edited:

Yeti of the Flow

Jun 9, 2011
Boston
Without any major individual awards, Marchand will need to get in via stat padding and maybe another three years as one of the elite players and point producers in the league. 10 seasons as a PPG producer in an era where that means something combined with his status as an elite two way player and playoff performer should be enough. He should be able to hit 450 goals/1100 points by the time he hangs them up if he does choose to play another 3/4 years, barring any major injury.

I think his reputation helps highlight his name. The HOF isn't only filled with squeaky clean Lady Byng winners.
Another thing about Marchand, while not an enormous stat, he's incredibly gifted at shorthanded offense. It pays to kill penalties with the premier defensive center of all time, but 33 SHGs is pretty crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladyfan and Score08

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Yes I believe that is a valid point. Impossible to say how big a factor that is as teams typically didn't take a ton of chances at the end of a tie game even before the OT era but it's something for sure. Still, the fact remains that the league used to award 2 points per game, now they award more than that and wins are easier to come by, OT gives players a chance to pad their stats etc., comparing records between eras is just so difficult now.
Yep.
Powerplay in OT when the game is already 3 on 3 !
Imagine how that would increase the goal scoring numbers of Bossy , Espo, Orr, Gretz , Mario and Lafleur
Does throw a wrench into comparing......but makes for interesting debates none the less

Another thing about Marchand, while not an enormous stat, he's incredibly gifted at shorthanded offense. It pays to kill penalties with the premiere defensive center of all time, but 33 SHGs is pretty crazy.
Great point.
Marchand is going to the HOF
Bet on it

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yep.
Powerplay in OT when the game is already 3 on 3 !
Imagine how that would increase the goal scoring numbers of Bossy , Espo, Orr, Gretz , Mario and Lafleur
Does throw a wrench into comparing......but makes for interesting debates none the less

Great point.
Marchand is going to the HOF
Bet on it
Makes comparing very difficult and impossible to do with 100% accuracy. Makes the debates interesting if people are being intelligent and honest, makes the debates unbearable when they're not. But OT goals are obviously much easier to come by, I expect we'll hear more about that from Gretzky fans if and when Ovi breaks his goal scoring record (and they'll have a point too).

It makes me sick how good Boston has been. It was completely logical to expect them to get a bit worse without Chara but instead, they're better. Obviously there's a lot going on over there that I know nothing about, very interesting to see how it all unfolds. Of course Ullmark has a lot to do with it, I wonder how long he can keep it up. Looking forward to Saturday night in any case.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Makes comparing very difficult and impossible to do with 100% accuracy. Makes the debates interesting if people are being intelligent and honest, makes the debates unbearable when they're not. But OT goals are obviously much easier to come by, I expect we'll hear more about that from Gretzky fans if and when Ovi breaks his goal scoring record (and they'll have a point too).

It makes me sick how good Boston has been. It was completely logical to expect them to get a bit worse without Chara but instead, they're better. Obviously there's a lot going on over there that I know nothing about, very interesting to see how it all unfolds. Of course Ullmark has a lot to do with it, I wonder how long he can keep it up. Looking forward to Saturday night in any case.
The Bs are playing like a team.

More than one line is scoring

Goalies are great.

All players have their role and all support each other.

They are not overconfident but don't get rattled if they get behind.

Great leaders on the team (Bergy, Marchy, Foligno, Pasta, MacAvoy...)

New coach...good energy

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I’m having a great time watching them. I’d love to go to my 4th Cup parade.

But I’m not counting my chickens before they hatch. I’ve lived long enough to see great teams run into an out of this world goalie performance. Just a snapshot in time and it can be gone just like that in a seven game series.

But I’ll sure as shit enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I’m having a great time watching them. I’d love to go to my 4th Cup parade.

But I’m not counting my chickens before they hatch. I’ve lived long enough to see great teams run into an out of this world goalie performance. Just a snapshot in time and it can be gone just like that in a seven game series.

But I’ll sure as shit enjoy the ride while it lasts.
Also very possible that Ullmark comes down to earth. But yeah not getting too confident is the smart thing to do, Boston is IMO the clear favorite to win the cup but in this cap era, the favorite is rarely any better than 15% or so to win the cup.

Enjoying it also makes sense. Hell I'm enjoying the season the Leafs are having which isn't even close to what Boston is doing, plus we have all those consecutive 1st round losses hanging over our head which makes anything that happens in the regular season harder to enjoy so yeah, I can only imagine how much fun you guys must be having right now.

Hopefully we hand you guys your first regulation loss at home on Saturday night, now that I would enjoy. Anyhow, as a Leaf fan I hate you guys, but as a hockey fan I admire what your team is doing, you are definitely the story of the season so far. Good luck the rest of the way, I hope to see you in the 2nd round.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
So Boston finally lost a home game. No offence Boston fans but yay!!

Hopefully Matthews is back tomorrow, should be a good game tomorrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad