Boston proves to be a non trustworthy trade partner

Sharkbomb

Jul 20, 2022
The first step to recovery is admitting you're the problem. Taylor Swift did it. Jarmo just isn't at that point yet.

Bottomline, every GM is in it to win. Jarmo wouldn't take the cash back creating this possibility. Next time stop trying to nickle and dime for the perfect deal. Plus he has a week left before the deadline. I'd get if this happened with minutes to spare. This is just whining to deflect from the fact he botched the deal.
Obviously I don't know this, but I think its more likely that the lesson is for ownership and not Kekalainen. I assume it was ownership that told him no to spending money on dead cap. Because why would a GM not do it? Any sane GM and/or salesman knows that everyday that passes without closing a deal the risk of it not ever closing grows.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
And the Flames thought they had a contract with Gaudreau. Right up until they didn't.

This isn't the middle school playground where a spit handshake consummates a deal. It's not done until it's faxed in.

Reactions: MaWa and Lt Dan

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Hypothetically, Gavrikov (28 in November) may have been slightly more attractive to extend like Boston had with Hampus Lindholm last year. Orlov (32 in July) might be a little more tricky and probably would command a higher AAV.

Bruins arent in the business of adding more guys that need an extension for the deal to make sense

Only 13 guys are under contract past this season and they only have $20m of space to fill out the roster and fit Pastrnak's new deal

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Obviously I don't know this, but I think its more likely that the lesson is for ownership and not Kekalainen. I assume it was ownership that told him no to spending money on dead cap. Because why would a GM not do it? Any sane GM and/or salesman knows that everyday that passes without closing a deal the risk of it not ever closing grows.

While you’re probably right. Why then put this out to the media as “Boston screwed us?” Wouldn’t having an internal discussion with ownership and saying “we missed out on this deal because you’re too cheap to eat a couple hundred thousand” make more sense? It would be creating bad blood between two franchises for no reason.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
While you’re probably right. Why then put this out to the media as “Boston screwed us?” Wouldn’t having an internal discussion with ownership and saying “we missed out on this deal because you’re too cheap to eat a couple hundred thousand” make more sense? It would be creating bad blood between two franchises for no reason.

Small market teams are perpetual victims of external circumstances, nothing is ever their fault.

Reactions: wintersej

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
sorry Jarmo no coffee for you

coffee.jpg

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Has there been some statement by Columbus on this situation? Because bsaed on the comments by Friedman, all we know is that one or more people told him Columbus thought there was a commitment and Boston. As far as I can tell, we have no evidence of Kekalainen's reaction. For all we know, his reaction was "Oh, well, that's business."

Right now it looks to me like a lot of posters in this thread have created this fiction that Columbus was publicly making statements complaining about Boston.

But as usual, I could be wrong.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The era of failed GMs asking for multiple 1sts and prospects for a 30+ y.o. marginal player or a bust might be coming to an end.
Not sure how that has anything whatsoever to do with Gavrikov, given that "multiple 1sts and prospects" was not the ask, he's not "30+ y.o.", and not a "marginal player or a bust".

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Wonder if DOPs will take a look at this, 2 games for hurting Jarmo's feelings ?
Nah, just that of the OP and one or two other folks back on HFCBJ.

I admit I was also frustrated and grumpy last night, but, y'know, sleep on it, wake up in the morning, feel better, move on. :dunno:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
There is only one reason why this is even a thread....

Cause it's the Bruins.

This type of stuff happens all the time during trades and any transaction in life(house selling, vehicle selling, situations in people's jobs etc)

But when the Boston Bruins do it??!!! It's 100% unacceptable and disrespectful
Nope. CBJ inferiority complex, not Bruins persecution complex. Most of us go through that moment, then deal with it and move on. For some it lingers, tho.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Has there been some statement by Columbus on this situation? Because bsaed on the comments by Friedman, all we know is that one or more people told him Columbus thought there was a commitment and Boston. As far as I can tell, we have no evidence of Kekalainen's reaction. For all we know, his reaction was "Oh, well, that's business."

Right now it looks to me like a lot of posters in this thread have created this fiction that Columbus was publicly making statements complaining about Boston.

But as usual, I could be wrong.
There's been no such statements. Folks are jumping to that conclusion because 1) a few of us were a tad bitter at the time it went down and said so (myself admittedly included), and 2) the OP decided to create this thread after most of us had moved on.

Reactions: Ladyfan

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
No one really knows how close it got.

Boston could’ve said: “We absolutely have a deal as soon as we clear salary, let’s make it happen” or just “this seems like an agreeable framework” or “if you can’t help us make the money work we need to look elsewhere” or literally none of these. It’s entirely speculation and media games.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I mean, what goes around comes around. In this case, it all seemed to work out for the better for Boston. They got a better deal elsewhere. If they get a reputation for being difficult or untrustworthy to deal with, that will start to impact their negotiation options. We've seen it before with certain GMs who get "blackballed" a bit, or where they get frozen out of the loop at times.

But much like a consumer shopping around on a car or whatever it may be...the salesman may get upset when you shop around behind their back and take a better deal somewhere else, or even leverage that into a better deal. But at the end of the day...money spends. Or in this case...Boston's draft capital and trade assets talk. If they were interested in another CBJ player tomorrow, you know Jarmo would be right back on the horn with them trying to hammer out a deal. Trying to get the best price for that CBJ asset, by shopping it around to...you guessed it...as many teams as possible.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Sorry not following here, what's the issue? Until paperwork is filed with the league and approved there is no trade. Boston moved onto another deal and closed it.........CBJ need to move faster next time and not cry sour grapes.

Reactions: Ladyfan

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Until it gets send to the league office and gets approved there is no deal.

I’d hate to be the guy who pisses off Jarmo though.

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
Next time, ask for draft pick to " hold " a player out until a trade is made or cancelled. ( Columbus wins by helping the "Tank" by withholding a player while negotiating )

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad