Boston proves to be a non trustworthy trade partner

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
I mean, Boston probably weighed the risk of alienating CBJ as a trade partner in the near future (at least, under Jarmo) vs. the better deal and decided that way.

Tough that CBJ felt they got the rug pulled out from under them, but...yeah, a deal isn't done until it's done.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Sour grapes from CBJ.
It’s business
get the best deal done
Part of GM training should be to sell cars at a dealership

Reactions: Arthuros

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I'm guessing that Columbus didn't want to take Smith back in the deal, so Boston needed to try to find someone to take him as a cap dump before trading for Gavrikov. And Washington came through willing to retain and add in Hathaway, giving better value.
Sucks for the Jackets, but it's the business.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site

Columbus got played - plain and simple. Gavrikov sat for 5 games with the management thinking the deal is done and then Boston simply said screw you, we strike another deal

ya and the other rumor was that Columbus told Sweeney they aren't they waiting for him to clear cap or make other moves and if a deal came along they liked they'd take it.

pretty misleading thread title

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
I had a feeling Columbus was waiting to see if anyone was going to better the B's offer.

Or just take Craig Smith and the B's would prolly have Gavrikov. I assume the ask from other teams for the Smith dump was a lot more than what they gave up in the Washington deal

I for one am glad the B's went a different direction. Nothings official till the dotted lines signed.

Reactions: Ladyfan

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I say this as a Jackets fan: what is all this ridiculous sour grapes reaction from the fanbase? I don't see the team complaining on social media, just fans. I just see Friedman commenting. Why are we acting like Devils fans when Gaudreau didn't sign with their team? So Boston walked away because Washington offered a better deal. That's fine, find another dance partner. And there will be another dance partner. The trade deadline is still a week away. Yeah, sucks we've wasted a week of Gavrikov's career ove this, but it's just business.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
To play devils advocate I'd say maybe the commitment went beyond just a general verbal agreement but saying that it was a done deal that they just needed to wait on

Even then though, I'd only feel slighted if another D trade happened in that time with a team in on Gav

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Jarmo and co. acting like a bunch of babies isn't a good look. A deal's only done when the ink's dry.

But more than that, didn't the Blue Jackets say that while Boston was figuring out how to move Smith, if they found a better deal for Gavrikov, they'd take it? Turn around is fair play. Crying about the Bruins finding a better deal is just pathetic now.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
Sounds like sour grapes barring more damming proof that Boston purposefully played CBJ along claiming to be freeing up space when they were actually just looking around more.

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County

Columbus got played - plain and simple. Gavrikov sat for 5 games with the management thinking the deal is done and then Boston simply said screw you, we strike another deal

Columbus was forcing Boston to trade Smith in a separate deal and were leaking through Portzline that if a better deal comes up they have no problem taking it and leaving Boston dry.

Boston did what Columbus was threatening to do. If anything Jarmo played himself

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
not too familiar with the story. But given this thread, I'm now inclined to believe that Jarmo and co. are acting like a bunch of babies. That's certainly my impression, an impression that will be permanent.

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
I wonder if this is a bigger deal here at HF than it is in their boardroom. I would assume deals fall through fairly often without lingering hard feelings.

Ad

Ad

Ad