Boston proves to be a non trustworthy trade partner

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don't care either way, but I can see CLB's view on this (if true) and Boston's. I used to negotiate multi-million$ licensing and joint development deal in the tech field in a prior job. If someone ever strung you along and then went elsewhere, it was certainly within their right, but also viewed negatively and changed how I would deal with them in the future. But in the end, in the future if they came with the best deal, past transgressions were forgiven.

I'm sure CLB will be pissed for a year or two, but down the road, they'll get over it. Boston has a short window so I doubt they are worried about ramifications the next couple of years.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

Mick Riddleton

Boomer : This, gentlemen, is no time to think.
Apr 24, 2017

Columbus got played - plain and simple. Gavrikov sat for 5 games with the management thinking the deal is done and then Boston simply said screw you, we strike another deal

Uggh misleading title, please change this, comes off as very petty. This is the art of the deal 101, get the best you can and do not settle for an over priced item. Jarmo asked for too much, next time be a little more flexible and don't put pressure on them by saying we can't wait. Sweeney found someone else to take Smith.

The Bruins got to dump a salary which was 3.1 million and add 2 guys for 2.75 million. They got to keep both Lysell and Lohrei, who they have high hopes for. While adding a tough grinder and a very good deeman. If your team did this you would be praising Jarmo. Instead Jarmo looks very amateurish and bull headed, teams may not want to deal with him.

Last edited:

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Dumb thread title. A negotiation isn't complete until an agreement is signed. Sorry CBJ.
Doesn't mean you won't suffer consequences if you don't negotiate in good faith. This is a far to busy time of year to waste time talking to teams that are not negotiating in good faith, I can see a lot of GM being reluctant to do any in depth negotiating with Boston after this.

Trashpass

Dec 21, 2019
Doesn't mean you won't suffer consequences if you don't negotiate in good faith. This is a far to busy time of year to waste time talking to teams that are not negotiating in good faith, I can see a lot of GM being reluctant to do any in depth negotiating with Boston after this.
A ridiculous take 😅 Im sure this stuff happens all the time. Columbus were saying if Boston couldn't move the salary in time and someone came in with a better offer they'd take it 🤷‍♂️ soooo they were threatening to do the same.

If they weren't so cheap and just took Smith back like Washington did instead of making them look elsewhere I'm sure the deal would of been done.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
I suspect the trade started off as Smith for Hathaway to free up cap space and the Caps countered with Orlov once they knew what the Bruins were looking for.

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
Sales Adage #162 - Time kills a deal.

I really don’t even understand the CBJ’s or why they wouldn’t try locking up their stalwart D man. They’re like a kid on his seventh year of high school. You're last overall after adding JG. Pick a direction FFS!

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
It was proven not to be the case. Not at all out of spite, at least not to a conclusive level.

I mean, we know he turned down a better offer and he made a comment about not wanting to trade with Chia. It’s kind obvious it was out of spite in that instance.

While you’re probably right. Why then put this out to the media as “Boston screwed us?” Wouldn’t having an internal discussion with ownership and saying “we missed out on this deal because you’re too cheap to eat a couple hundred thousand” make more sense? It would be creating bad blood between two franchises for no reason.

If it was a directive from ownership, maybe he’s trying to use the backlash to get the point across to the owner?

To play devils advocate I'd say maybe the commitment went beyond just a general verbal agreement but saying that it was a done deal that they just needed to wait on

Even then though, I'd only feel slighted if another D trade happened in that time with a team in on Gav

Even still, “we have a deal if we can move Smith” isn’t “we have a deal”.

It’s not negotiating in bad faith at all. Jarmo said he’d move on a better deal if he found one, so why can’t Sweeney? And what GM thinks they’re not going to have to take a contract back in a deadline deal with a flat cap

Reactions: pearljamvs5

Bfan14

Jan 24, 2023

Columbus got played - plain and simple. Gavrikov sat for 5 games with the management thinking the deal is done and then Boston simply said screw you, we strike another deal

Imagine a team finding a better deal and taking it. The audacity!

If Columbus had a deal for say Larkin, but then last second were offered a better player for the same deal, would you be mad at them?

Bfan14

Jan 24, 2023
Learned about a decade ago that a deal isn’t done until it’s done.

See: the Iginla deadline when he was a bruin for 5 minutes until he wasn’t.
I'm still salty about that. We win in 2013 with him instead of Jagr IMO.

So glad we pummeled him and the Pens that post season. Then the audacity of him to then join us next season

Has nothing to do about me liking it or not, ultimately, the Bruins organization reputation is taking a hit from this situation
Its not though. You entirely made that up in your head and teams are continuously looking for better deals. Both on the sellers side and buyers side.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad