Boston proves to be a non trustworthy trade partner

Score08

Apr 6, 2017
I’m stunned CBJ allowed this to

Columbus got played - plain and simple. Gavrikov sat for 5 games with the management thinking the deal is done and then Boston simply said screw you, we strike another deal

So to summarize this shit show, he was outmatched by a better GM, and then decided his only recourse was to launch a social media hit job by calling into question his opponents integrity, all because he was better at his job than he was at his?
The NHL pounces on anyone questioning the integrity of its officials, is it reasonable to assume they frown on this type of behavior as well, or at the very least demand they keep their shit throwing out of the public for the good of the league?

Reactions: Bfan14

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I’m stunned CBJ allowed this to

So to summarize this shit show, he was outmatched by a better GM, and then decided his only recourse was to launch a social media hit job by calling into question his opponents integrity, all because he was better at his job than he was at his?
The NHL pounces on anyone questioning the integrity of its officials, is it reasonable to assume they frown on this type of behavior as well, or at the very least demand they keep their shit throwing out of the public for the good of the league?
What? Show me the JK quote here. This is a minor Jackets beat writer/glorified blogger quoting Elliotte Friedman. Every reaction to this situation is so blown completely out of hand. The org has not once commented on the situation. There’s about four of our fans here including OP acting like ridiculous crying babies over it. Boston fans are all gloating (which is fine, their GM got a better deal for his first, I don’t blame him). This is a non story that the media has tried to make into something.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
LOL..... fax still exist.
If you had insight into the medical field you would realize that 80% of big company processes are outdated to a fax-level. Fax is depressingly common.

There is a reason that COBOL and C++ jobs still pay hundred of thousands per year.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Sounds like CBJ wouldn’t retain or take a cap dump.

Washington would. You snooze you lose.

This.

Also, add in that Columbus was also saying, 'but if a better deal comes along while we're waiting, we will move him elsewhere.'

Bruins took that, saw that they weren't going to retain, and went after the better D on a cheaper price tag.

Also, Gavrikov wanting to test UFA no matter what also hampers what can be done.

What we know so far from different sources: Boston agreed to a deal Columbus wanted for Gavrikov, but asked for time to sort money issues, Columbus agreed to wait and sat Gavrikov. Then, Boston, while trying to find a deal to shed some salary cap found another seller and thought that deal fit them better so they went with it leaving Columbus hanging.

I know it’s all business and nothing personal, but it’s shitty for their reputation going forward

And what would have happened if a GM called CLB and beat the Bruins offer?

If Jarmo was stupid enough to think that he could take a better deal if it came along and Boston couldn't then tough luck:

There it is. He was also telling Boston if he got a better offer he would take it. He didn't. Boston did get a better offer.

Pretty simple really.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
If you had insight into the medical field you would realize that 80% of big company processes are outdated to a fax-level. Fax is depressingly common.

There is a reason that COBOL and C++ jobs still pay hundred of thousands per year.
I was joking.... now I know you know more than me!

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida

Always been extremely jealous of those random old dudes who makes 300k a year working 6 hours a week because they know COBOL.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
It’s not negotiating in bad faith at all. Jarmo said he’d move on a better deal if he found one, so why can’t Sweeney? And what GM thinks they’re not going to have to take a contract back in a deadline deal with a flat cap

Jarmo told Boston this up front. It was part of what the two agreed to and it's a sensible precaution in case Boston can't free up the money. There don't appear to be any such back-out clause in what Sweeny agreed to. Again it comes down to negotiating in bad faith, if you agree to something verbally you need to follow though on it or people will avoid doing business with you in the future because they won't trust you going forward.

• Haha
Reactions: Ladyfan and PB37

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Always been extremely jealous of those random old dudes who makes 300k a year working 6 hours a week because they know COBOL.
My friends dad got asked out of retirement for crazy money to fix an old ass system running on a programming language I never heard of. Guy went back to work from home for a year at 70 and put away a quick 400k just to keep a system from crashing. And they still need his old ass since they don't have a replacement. Envy.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Jarmo told Boston this up front. It was part of what the two agreed to and it's a sensible precaution in case Boston can't free up the money. There don't appear to be any such back-out clause in what Sweeny agreed to. Again it comes down to negotiating in bad faith, if you agree to something verbally you need to follow though on it or people will avoid doing business with you in the future because they won't trust you going forward.

As there was never a trade, there is no need for a back out clause...

It seems to have no effect on the Bruins ability to trade as there has since been another.

Reactions: Ladyfan

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
As there was never a trade, there is no need for a back out clause...

There was a verbal agreement. If you can't trust someone to keep their verbal agreements you avoid doing business with them. Again, no one wants to work with a partner with a history of negotiating in bad faith.

It seems to have no effect on the Bruins ability to trade as there has since been another.
It doesn't mean you can't or won't work with them again, but you certainly won't give them any leeway. IE from here on in it's "you don't have the cap space for that. No we won't "give you time to make cap room" because you lied about that in the past. We are taking the next best deal right now, you're out.

• Haha

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Who cares? That's business.

This scenario probably happens more often than not.

The common scenario that happens a lot is the one I outlined. If someone breaks a verbal agreement or negotiates in bad faith you try your best to avoid doing business with that person in the future. Again just because something is legal doesn't mean there are no consequences.

• Haha

Bfan14

Jan 24, 2023
I'm sure Boston couldn't care less if Columbus GM doesn't like them if they made their team better and are clear cup favorites.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
There was a verbal agreement. If you can't trust someone to keep their verbal agreements you avoid doing business with them. Again, no one wants to work with a partner with a history of negotiating in bad faith.

It doesn't mean you can't or won't work with them again, but you certainly won't give them any leeway. IE from here on in it's "you don't have the cap space for that. No we won't "give you time to make cap room" because you lied about that in the past. We are taking the next best deal right now, you're out.

Their own verbal agreement allowed for a different offer to be accepted at any time.

Reactions: Bfan14

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Even if what you wrote is all true, which I strongly disagree with, Boston still has technically held up their end. The deal was based on them being able to clear capspace to fit Gavrikov, and they haven’t been able to yet, so you’re still wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad