Boston proves to be a non trustworthy trade partner

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
941d62ff0c0cf8af353766139ede27e4.gif

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Boston found a better deal for a better player prior to calling the trade in.

Guess what? If someone offered more for Gavrikov for the deal Jarmo would have went a different direction.

And he’s a fool if he lets his morales get in the way and wouldn’t.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
What we know so far from different sources: Boston agreed to a deal Columbus wanted for Gavrikov, but asked for time to sort money issues, Columbus agreed to wait and sat Gavrikov. Then, Boston, while trying to find a deal to shed some salary cap found another seller and thought that deal fit them better so they went with it leaving Columbus hanging.

I know it’s all business and nothing personal, but it’s shitty for their reputation going forward

Yeah that's probably exactly what happened. The Bruins needed some retention from Columbus, but they refused so in looking to dump salary they found a team and a trade that better fit their needs. Blame Columbus and their ownership for being cheap not the Bruins for doing whats best for their team.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I agree they're petty. Traded Hamilton to Calgary out of spite even tho the offer from Edmonton was better

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Business, when someone ask for time and delay a transaction there always the chance for the situation context to evolve and for gentleman agreement to vanishes.

You learn and next time you play harder, or not
Jarmo going out crying about it is more of a statement that he doesn't understand this. And other GM should see this as a weakness to exploit.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I'm still at a loss as to why Gavrikov commanded such a high price to begin with that Orlov who has a proven track record on a much better team was the alternative plan.

Hypothetically, Gavrikov (28 in November) may have been slightly more attractive to extend like Boston had with Hampus Lindholm last year. Orlov (32 in July) might be a little more tricky and probably would command a higher AAV.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If you have to bench a player for five days before the trade paperwork is signed, then maybe it's a sign that the deal wasn't as close as you thought it was? Seems an awful lot like Columbus scored an own goal here.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
What we know so far from different sources: Boston agreed to a deal Columbus wanted for Gavrikov, but asked for time to sort money issues, Columbus agreed to wait and sat Gavrikov. Then, Boston, while trying to find a deal to shed some salary cap found another seller and thought that deal fit them better so they went with it leaving Columbus hanging.

I know it’s all business and nothing personal, but it’s shitty for their reputation going forward

Maybe shitty for Jarmo's reputation, but that's about it.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm still at a loss as to why Gavrikov commanded such a high price to begin with that Orlov who has a proven track record on a much better team was the alternative plan.
Orlov was only made available recently, as the contract negotiations between Washington and Orlov ended up going nowhere. Washington offered 3 years, Orlov wanted 6. It wasn't looking like they were going to get a deal done, so Washington decided to make him available via trade.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
This may be one of the lamest things I've seen.

Ofcourse something like this is said nowadays

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Misleading title.

Nothing is done until paperwork is filed with the NHL.

To assume otherwise is, IMHO, considered Amateur Hour
True but there have always been handshake agreements and I guess Boston wanted to abuse that trust. No matter how you look at it it is bad business and GMs in the future won't trust Sweeney. It's a weird career decision

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
True but there have always been handshake agreements and I guess Boston wanted to abuse that trust. No matter how you look at it it is bad business and GMs in the future won't trust Sweeney. It's a weird career decision
You are assuming there was a handshake agreement in place.

JD should know better

Reactions: YukonCornelius

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad