Around The NHL Discussion 2021-22 Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I watched about half of the last Chicago game. I had to go to the box score to be sure that Kane and Toews were playing, literally. They both had 17m+ but I can't say that I noticed when either was on the ice. Furthermore, I don't recognize most of the rest of that team. Its partly a function of the weird division schedule last season, but the Blackhawks look like a bunch of no-names. (I'm sure people think the same of the Blues, until they start hearing names like Kostin and Kyrou repeatedly.)

I had the impression that they took a step forward last season, and had something to build on. But it looks like they're not ready for the season. I'm not even sure how bad MAF has been because the defense is so porous it doesn't even matter.

What was Toews story anyway? Did he get paid for last season? I haven't seen any credible report, but my impression is that he took the year off due to depression or mental fatigue issues. Its kind of unprecedented, and I'm curious about how they handled his contract. But I can't say that he's having any significant impact on the games from what I've seen.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
What was Toews story anyway? Did he get paid for last season? I haven't seen any credible report, but my impression is that he took the year off due to depression or mental fatigue issues. Its kind of unprecedented, and I'm curious about how they handled his contract. But I can't say that he's having any significant impact on the games from what I've seen.

If I understand correctly, they claim he had CIRS, which is not a medically recognized physical condition and it seems non-quack, practicing physicians and medical scientists tend to classify it as mental illness. That doesn't mean there isn't something actually going on physically, but there is no good science that suggests it's real and especially no good science that indicates it's what it's claimed to be (some kind of auto-immune over-reaction to mold and/or bacteria usually found in water damaged buildings).

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I had hoped he could carve out a nice 3rd line role with the Flames after they signed him. Guess he's either too weak or doesn't have the drive to play the game the right way. He'd be nice to have on the AHL roster, but I doubt he has a chance to play real NHL minutes unless he flips a switch
He looks like bit of a tweener at this point. Not skilled enough to play up in lineup, not rugged enough to stand out in bottom 6.

Reactions: ezcreepin

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I watched about half of the last Chicago game. I had to go to the box score to be sure that Kane and Toews were playing, literally. They both had 17m+ but I can't say that I noticed when either was on the ice. Furthermore, I don't recognize most of the rest of that team. Its partly a function of the weird division schedule last season, but the Blackhawks look like a bunch of no-names. (I'm sure people think the same of the Blues, until they start hearing names like Kostin and Kyrou repeatedly.)

I had the impression that they took a step forward last season, and had something to build on. But it looks like they're not ready for the season. I'm not even sure how bad MAF has been because the defense is so porous it doesn't even matter.

My understanding is that Toews was a COVID long-hauler and missed last season because he was suffering from extended symptoms that caused him extreme fatigue and prevented him from playing.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

How long until they fire their coach? Will he survive October?

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
That team was Stanley Cup finals last season. Missing 2 players doesn't make a trick?

isn't?

giphy.gif

2 players? I've got 7 players missing from their team that made the final, and I'm sure I'm missing at least one other... Plus Hoffman, who was brought in to address some of the loses is out hurt.

Current injuries are
Weber
Price
Byron
Hoffman (new addition)
Edmundson

Lost in off-season
Danault (shutdown 2C)
Tatar (offensive 2nd line winger)
Kotkaniemi

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Well, it wasn't all bad. Ott is still coach here. What does Buffalo have to show for it?
They have UPL, who they picked with the 2nd rounder Minnesota sent them for Stewart.

And 2021 3rd rounder Stiven Sardaryan, pick acquired from Florida for Montour, who Buffalo acquired with a pick they acquired from trading Kane to SJ, they used the 2015 1st from us as part of the package for Kane.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

If I understand correctly, they claim he had CIRS, which is not a medically recognized physical condition and it seems non-quack, practicing physicians and medical scientists tend to classify it as mental illness. That doesn't mean there isn't something actually going on physically, but there is no good science that suggests it's real and especially no good science that indicates it's what it's claimed to be (some kind of auto-immune over-reaction to mold and/or bacteria usually found in water damaged buildings).

They have been very tight-lipped about it, but it did get revealed that he had COVID at some point. They have also said that he had CIRS and I don't believe that there has been anything beyond pure speculation that his absence stemmed from depression.

Whether it is considered a physical condition or a mental one is wholly moot because the team didn't try to fight any diagnosis or claim of injury. He was not suspended by the team and was approved for LTIR. Whetever exactly he had, the team and the league viewed it as a valid medical claim and didn't try to fight him on it. He still would have been paid. Maybe that is because the team didn't want to harm the relationship with him, maybe it is because they 100% agreed with the diagnosis or maybe all parties simply thought it best to be as quiet as possible to let it pass. However, we got to the decision, there was no fight about him being medically unfit to play and he was not found to be violating his contract.

While they used his contract on LTIR, they easily could have been cap compliant with him on just regular IR for the entire season. For whatever reason, the didn't put Seabrook on LTIR until midway through the season even though it was clear that he wasn't going to play. There wasn't any real reason to think that this was a cap-circumvention strategy so there just wasn't motivation for anyone to try and keep him from getting paid.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
They have been very tight-lipped about it, but it did get revealed that he had COVID at some point. They have also said that he had CIRS and I don't believe that there has been anything beyond pure speculation that his absence stemmed from depression.

Whether it is considered a physical condition or a mental one is wholly moot because the team didn't try to fight any diagnosis or claim of injury. He was not suspended by the team and was approved for LTIR. Whetever exactly he had, the team and the league viewed it as a valid medical claim and didn't try to fight him on it. He still would have been paid. Maybe that is because the team didn't want to harm the relationship with him, maybe it is because they 100% agreed with the diagnosis or maybe all parties simply thought it best to be as quiet as possible to let it pass. However, we got to the decision, there was no fight about him being medically unfit to play and he was not found to be violating his contract.

While they used his contract on LTIR, they easily could have been cap compliant with him on just regular IR for the entire season. For whatever reason, the didn't put Seabrook on LTIR until midway through the season even though it was clear that he wasn't going to play. There wasn't any real reason to think that this was a cap-circumvention strategy so there just wasn't motivation for anyone to try and keep him from getting paid.

Yea, mental illness is a perfectly valid reason for IR in my book. And I'm not saying that's what it was, either. I don't especially care about the hockey logistics, either, because some of this shit can just stay private. It's enough to me to say a player has an unspecified illness and everyone just moves on. I was just giving the forum-level blurb on CIRS, which is what they claimed he had.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I was mainly curious from the standpoint of trying to project how he’d play this season and whether something could be still affecting him. I also am skeptical of the Blackhawk’s motives and curious where the financial incentives were laying.

Zachary Hines

May 16, 2021
So why are players still being forced to quarantine and sit because covid. Last i heard all but 4 players in the league are vaccinated. So with everyone vaccinated there should no issues with player unless they are truly sick.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
So why are players still being forced to quarantine and sit because covid. Last i heard all but 4 players in the league are vaccinated. So with everyone vaccinated there should no issues with player unless they are truly sick.

It's a public health hazard that endangers the livelihood of other people not just on, but around both teams. Thousands of fans and at least several dozen employees in direct contact with the players. Vaccines are not 100% and are just one of multiple measures. Vaccines don't mean we drop all the other measures just because it seems convenient. A handful of players missing a couple games is nothing.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Tarasenko has looked pretty good to start the season. Is there any chance he moves into the top 6 or is he going to stay on the 3rd line?

What do Blues fans project him to put up this season?

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
2 players? I've got 7 players missing from their team that made the final, and I'm sure I'm missing at least one other... Plus Hoffman, who was brought in to address some of the loses is out hurt.

Current injuries are
Weber
Price
Byron
Hoffman (new addition)
Edmundson

Lost in off-season
Danault (shutdown 2C)
Tatar (offensive 2nd line winger)
Kotkaniemi
Funny you missed additions. Dvorak, Savard and Wideman. Wideman is depth dmen (8th-9th dmen), but still ignore significant additions Dvorak and Savard.

Last night Allen looked good credit to that.

My point is when Allen is #1 he falls and can't handle #1 spot. He is always back-up goaltender, but damn good on on that spot. Never going to be #1.

Shame Army gave overpaid contract to him so we have to lose him. Binny - Allen would have been ideal duo.

Last edited:

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Funny you missed additions. Dvorak, Savard and Wideman. Wideman is depth dmen (8th-9th dmen), but still ignore significant additions Dvorak and Savard.

Last night Allen looked good credit to that.

My point is when Allen is #1 he falls and can't handle #1 spot. He is always back-up goaltender, but damn good on on that spot. Never going to be #1.

Shame Army gave overpaid contract to him so we have to lose him. Binny - Allen would have been ideal duo.

Are you suggesting that Dvorak, Wideman and Savard are supposed to offset the losses of Danault, Weber and the other losses?

I took the time to point out that Montreal lost far more than "2 players" as you suggest from their cup final squad. That's simple fact - you horrendously understate Montreal's off-season losses and counter with the additions of Dvorak, Savard and Wideman? You're unbelievable. Simply one of a kind.

You'd like a deeper analysis of the losses and additions? Maybe you should list all the additions you're raving about - I've added 4 you missed. Drouin returning after playing 4 regular season games and no playoff games certainly should count as a notable addition.

In
Dvorak - lesser defensive prowess, better offense than Danault.
Savard - given the Weber decline, I'll call it a saw off. But he hasn't figured out the system yet in Montréal, so he's still a downgrade to the defence in the their past few games.
Wideman - upgrade on Mete, who was previously in the doghouse as depth dman.
Drouin - Tatar upgrade.
Brooks - bottom 6 forward claimed off waivers from Toronto.
Montembeault - AHL goalie claimed off waivers from Florida.
Niku - bottom pairing/depth dman claimed off waivers from Winnipeg.

Out
Weber - captain and #1 dman.
Danault - shutdown 2C
Mete - #7-9 dman
Price - soul of the franchise
Edmundson - #2-4 dman, only real snarl the blue line had once Weber went on LTIR.
Byron - utility player used heavily in defensive play and on the PK. Alternate captain.
Tatar - top 6 offensive winger for a team with 4 goals in 5 games played...
Kotkaniemi - middle 6 player

Huge downgrade in net from Price/Allen to Allen/Montembeault. Nobody remotely questions this.

Loss in leadership without Byron, Weber.

Loss of an entire top 4 pairing on D, replaced by a new comers (remember how both Faulk and Krug looked in their first half season?). Savard isn't a seamless fit to replace Weber.

Loss of 2/3 of a shutdown lineup with Byron and Danault injured/gone.

Scoring on paper should have improved... It hasn't. Montréal has managed 4 goals in 5 games played...

Lastly, give over on the Allen talk. He's gone. He's been gone for a season - nobody wants to hear you repeat yourself for the thousandth time about how Allen can't handle the starter role. Just let it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad