Around The NHL Discussion 2021-22 Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
As an FYI- Dom did his annual playoff/Cup prediction model.

Col - 112 pts
Min - 100
STL - 94
WPG & DAL - 91
NSH-86
CHI-85
Seems pretty reasonable, though Minnesota seems a bit high. I don’t see them as a 100 point team personally. I also think Nashville is a bit better than Chicago.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Go to YouTube and you can get the extended highlights that has all of the goals of the game.
I can find that stuff easily enough. I just don't like a studio show running down the day's NHL action that glosses over most of the stuff that happened in the game. The Blues game should have included a highlight of Schenn fighting Kadri, all the goals, that amazing Binnington save on Rantanen, and the overturned kick replay. That's the story of that game. Instead they started the highlight with a 4 goals already scored. It was the least detailed report of the 14 games.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Winnipeg has

Morrissey Schmidt
Dillon Pionk
Stanley Demelo

If that was our D core, people here would suggest blowing the team up and rebuilding next season...funny how our own team has to be perfect while other teams that look pretty average are considered "good"
honestly not too far off from the blues current situation

decent, but average top 4 guys without a clear cut #1. blues' squad skews more offensive, jets' squad skews more defensive.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Why do people continue to use Dom's models? His predictions are wildly inaccurate every single year. I'd rather put more stock into a weather man's forecast and we all know how difficult it is to predict when it's going to snow...
Pretty sure he's had the most profitable betting model of any NHL model publicly published. Its not perfect, but I think he deserves credit for that. He's missed on the Blues' more than most teams, though.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Pretty sure he's had the most profitable betting model of any NHL model publicly published. Its not perfect, but I think he deserves credit for that. He's missed on the Blues' more than most teams, though.

Profitability doesn't mean jack. Even the Vegas Odds have a very low predictive value...

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
honestly not too far off from the blues current situation

decent, but average top 4 guys without a clear cut #1. blues' squad skews more offensive, jets' squad skews more defensive.

I think the Blues are a step above that. Honestly, the Blues have a pretty solid top 4 with Parayko, Faulk, Krug, and Scandella. If our coaching staff can't find a way to make that much talent work, then that's more on the coaches.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Profitability doesn't mean jack. Even the Vegas Odds have a very low predictive value...
Yet a large profitable industry depends on their accuracy, not as predictors of the game outcome, but as a predictor of what the betting public will do. It does show that accurate predictions are possible. It’s fun to compare the models.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Why do people continue to use Dom's models? His predictions are wildly inaccurate every single year. I'd rather put more stock into a weather man's forecast and we all know how difficult it is to predict when it's going to snow...
It’s a point of discussion.

If there is a more accurate model out there, please feel free to share.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006

There's a sports statistician (can't remember his name off the top of my head) whose model soundly beat all of the advanced stat hockey nerds a few years back based on the impact of officiating. He left some standard stuff out in favor of the predictability of penalties and referee biases - basically, reffing the score and home arena advantages. I don't think he publishes a yearly prediction, and it's possible some others have started to incorporate such things into their models, but we have good recent evidence that the advanced stat guys still have a lot to figure out.

Just because it's the most profitable, that doesn't mean it's accurate enough for any given fan's tastes when speaking about the game, especially when speaking about finer grain aspects. And I'm starting to see a little too much hockey discourse being squashed because of religious model adherence. So, even though I think that stuff is interesting, how fans choose to use it is often not great. Sometimes the evidence is overwhelming or at least solid, but it's okay to admit "the best we have" can still be not good enough to base conclusions on.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
The profitability is tied directly to correctly predicting the outcomes of games. He's not betting on over/unders or puck lines. His model is more profitable than any other model because it correctly predicts the winners of games more often than the other models. His model also spits out the most accurate player projections for fantasy hockey on the market (and those projections are derived from the exact same model he uses to predict season outcomes.

His model isn't perfect and like all predictions isn't going to be anything close to 100% accurate. That's why sports are fun. Unpredictable things happen. His predictions aren't gospel and reasonable people can disagree with them. But there is no support to the idea that his predictive model is trash. I haven't seen anything that is consistently more accurate.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
schwartz is proving to be what we thought he was for seattle

seattle is gonna regret that contract, possibly as early as this year.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Jack Hughes was injured from a check and there’s been 3 fights in the Kraken-Devils game too.

Gotta love the fireworks goin on.

Reactions: mk80

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Every time I see Fleury on camera, he is upset and cursing after a goal. That Chicago defense is special.

If the Blackhawks are this uncompetitive, ESPN is going to have to rethink their plan to load up the broadcast schedule with Chicago games. Please. Won't they?

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
The good news is that Seth Jones is a week and almost a half million into his new contract. Bad news is there is 7 years, 51 weeks and 75+ million left.

Reactions: The Electrician
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad