Around The NHL Discussion 2021-22 Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
why did we allow blais to leave
Because even is he reaches his absolute ceiling, that player and a 2nd round pick will not be worth more than Buch was currently worth at the time of the trade. The best possible version of Blais isn't going to be the player Buch is even if Buch has completely stopped growing as a player. He will also be a UFA in the summer of 2023 and is an RFA with arbitration rights this upcoming summer. So if he does take that step to hit his absolute ceiling, we would have had to either pay him accordingly or watch him walk in 2 years.

Blais was one of my favorite depth pieces. My 2nd favorite photo from the Cup run is the picture with the Clarence Campbell trophy where everyone on the team is awkwardly standing except for Blais who decided to cheese it and get down on one knee directly next to Bill Daly. I want him to crush it in New York, but it's a trade you make 100% of the time.

cut.jpg

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Because even is he reaches his absolute ceiling, that player and a 2nd round pick will not be worth more than Buch was currently worth at the time of the trade. The best possible version of Blais isn't going to be the player Buch is even if Buch has completely stopped growing as a player. He will also be a UFA in the summer of 2023 and is an RFA with arbitration rights this upcoming summer. So if he does take that step to hit his absolute ceiling, we would have had to either pay him accordingly or watch him walk in 2 years.

Blais was one of my favorite depth pieces. My 2nd favorite photo from the Cup run is the picture with the Clarence Campbell trophy where everyone on the team is awkwardly standing except for Blais who decided to cheese it and get down on one knee directly next to Bill Daly. I want him to crush it in New York, but it's a trade you make 100% of the time.

cut.jpg
Yup.

He's been one of my favorite Blues prospects to follow over the last decade or so. But there's no way in hell that we keep Blais and 2nd when Buchnevich is on the table.

Reactions: The Electrician

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
If anyone comes posting about Blais on this board trying to induce buyers' remorse with Buchnevich, I think they'll be pretty disappointed. I'm happy to hear about Blais' success. I hope he tears it up in NY. But the trade was a great opportunity for Armstrong, and I think its virtually unanimous that people were thrilled with it. Blais was pretty popular, and most of us miss him, but still welcomed the trade.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
I can't find whatever it was he did last night. Is there a video?
nhl network showed it during their lil recaps, he basically boarded another dude as the game was winding down. it wasnt as bad as the last 1 but could see the league giving him another timeout from it.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Jani Hakanpaa just cheap shotted Drew Doughty knee on knee and was kicked out of the game. Doughty was in agony and helped off the ice just now. Doughty wanted Team Canada badly.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Awful. DD could be out for a while.

The Blues seem to be getting lucky with star players on opposing teams getting injured/suspended before playing them. I've actually come to respect Doughty a lot and he seems cool as hell in interviews, so I hope he's not hurt too badly.

Regarding Blais, keep in mind that the Rangers prioritized getting bigger and tougher this offseason so I bet that's what they were looking for in exchange for Buch. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a key to the deal getting done and that it's not as simple as keeping Blais and replacing him with something else of similar value. Hope to see him do well, however. The Blues have had so much depth, especially in the bottom 6, so guys like Blais often don't get a true chance to shine here.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Blues will have caught the Avs with no Mac & Landy…the Knights w/o Stone and Patches…the Yotes…and now the Kings minus Doughty. Tough to gauge just how good the Blues are (or can be) when the opponent isn’t at their best. But you can only play the games on the schedule, and they’ve taken care of business which is all you could hope for, while dealing with absences of their own.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
The Blues seem to be getting lucky with star players on opposing teams getting injured/suspended before playing them. I've actually come to respect Doughty a lot and he seems cool as hell in interviews, so I hope he's not hurt too badly.

Regarding Blais, keep in mind that the Rangers prioritized getting bigger and tougher this offseason so I bet that's what they were looking for in exchange for Buch. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a key to the deal getting done and that it's not as simple as keeping Blais and replacing him with something else of similar value. Hope to see him do well, however. The Blues have had so much depth, especially in the bottom 6, so guys like Blais often don't get a true chance to shine here.

Buch is taller, but 10 lbs lighter and tougher than Blais and scores way more. Blais hits a little more, maybe, but he’s he’s not tougher than Buch. Buch would kick Blais’ ass in a fight.

Reactions: BlueDream

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Buch is taller, but 10 lbs lighter and tougher than Blais and scores way more. Blais hits a little more, maybe, but he’s he’s not tougher than Buch. Buch would kick Blais’ ass in a fight.

From what I can tell, Blais plays a heavier game but I won't split hairs. Regardless of the reasons they decided to trade Buch, Blais is the kind of player they wanted to add to their roster this offseason. Some people might have thought Blais was more of a throw in to the trade, but I bet he was a key to getting the deal done. If Blais hadn't been available, who knows if the Rangers would have moved Buch elsewhere?

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Blais might throw an occasional big hit, which I like, but that doesn’t justify trading Buch. But of course, this is just my opinion because Im definitely a homer

Last edited:

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Blais might throw an occasional big hit, which I like, but that doesn’t justify trading Buch. But of course, this is just my opinion because Im definitely a homer

I have no idea why the Rangers traded him, as he's clearly much better than Blais overall. I'm guessing it had something to do with his contract negotiations and whatever Drury wants to do with his salary cap going forward, but it's still hard to figure out. I'm just listening to the 32 Thoughts podcast and they are discussing the Kravtsov situation with the Rangers, so maybe Drury is just a tough negotiator and is driving players away.

All I'm saying is that once they decided to trade Buch, they probably targeted a certain type of player to get in the return and Blais fit the bill. I'm a bit surprised we only had to add a 2nd to get the deal done but I'm not complaining.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Blues will have caught the Avs with no Mac & Landy…the Knights w/o Stone and Patches…the Yotes…and now the Kings minus Doughty. Tough to gauge just how good the Blues are (or can be) when the opponent isn’t at their best. But you can only play the games on the schedule, and they’ve taken care of business which is all you could hope for, while dealing with absences of their own.
Last season, the Blues didn’t get any credit for losses when they had lots of guys injured. It’s all just posturing to get a postseason ticket. I’ve got no problem with St Louis getting full credit for these wins. Anyway, a hockey club isn’t just its best healthy lineup. Building a team with depth is part of the challenge. I don’t think the Blues get the credit their depth warrants.

The Kings will still be a challenge tonight.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Last season, the Blues didn’t get any credit for losses when they had lots of guys injured. It’s all just posturing to get a postseason ticket. I’ve got no problem with St Louis getting full credit for these wins. Anyway, a hockey club isn’t just its best healthy lineup. Building a team with depth is part of the challenge. I don’t think the Blues get the credit their depth warrants.

The Kings will still be a challenge tonight.

The problem is, most fans and pundits don't actually know that much about hockey, and so when they glance at a roster, they are quickly assessing superstar power, which doesn't really exist here. We have lots of players that are very good and quite frankly, criminally underrated. David Perron was a PPG player last year and is barely talked about. Jordan Kyrou might actually become a superstar by the end of the season. Even when Pietrangelo was here, his name wasn't popular despite being a top 5 defenseman in the league.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

The kings lost Doughty but still have Kopitar. Kopitar has been on fire this year. He has 1.5g per game and almost an assist per game. He's at 2.25 ppg. Its only 4 games in, but that is a hot streak for sure. If the Blues overlook the Kings because they lost Doughty it will be at their own peril.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Schwartz is getting 20 minutes of ice time every game and so far has 1 assist in 5 games. So glad the Blues didn’t make that mistake
That was the type of hard choice that makes me appreciate Armstrong. Schwartz is the type of person you want on your team, and it would be easy to feel loyalty to him which clouded the decision-making. I think it worked out fine for Schwartz with a good contract in a location he was happy with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad