Around The NHL Discussion 2021-22 Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
The Hawks annoucned the results of their sexual assault investigation.

Here is the PDF of the full findings. I haven't read it yet, but plan on doing so tonight. From the brief summaries I've seen online, it is not for the feint of heart.

From what I have read so far, it looks like 7 members of the coaching staff and front office were made aware of sexual misconduct and decided to do the old "resign or we will investigate this." Bowman resigned and it sounds like both Quennville and Cheveldayoff were in that meeting. Reddit comments can always be...interesting, but the links posted in their megathread are fantastic:

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The Hawks annoucned the results of their sexual assault investigation.

Here is the PDF of the full findings. I haven't read it yet, but plan on doing so tonight. From the brief summaries I've seen online, it is not for the feint of heart.

From what I have read so far, it looks like 7 members of the coaching staff and front office were made aware of sexual misconduct and decided to do the old "resign or we will investigate this." Bowman resigned and it sounds like both Quennville and Cheveldayoff were in that meeting. Reddit comments can always be...interesting, but the links posted in their megathread are fantastic:

Do we think Blackhawks would have pushed Bowman out if team was near the top of division? Much easier to do the right thing when your team is terrible.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Do we think Blackhawks would have pushed Bowman out if team was near the top of division? Much easier to do the right thing when your team is terrible.
After reading the summary of the investigation, I do. No way they could let him keep his job once the details went public.

"Later on May 23, within an hour after the Blackhawks won the playoff game that secured their place in the Stanley Cup Finals, five members of senior management (then-President John McDonough, MacIsaac, General Manager Stan Bowman, then-Executive Vice President Jay Blunk, and then-Assistant General Manager Kevin Cheveldayoff), along with then-head coach Joel Quenneville, and Gary, met to discuss what had been learned about Aldrich and John Doe..."

"Bowman recalled that during the meeting, McDonough and Quenneville made comments about the challenge of getting to the Stanley Cup Finals and a desire to focus on the team and the playoffs. Several years later, MacIsaac, in discussing the situation between Aldrich and John Doe with another Blackhawks employee, stated that McDonough did not want any negative publicity during the Stanley Cup Finals."

"While there was a general failure to recall how the meeting ended, Bowman recalled a statement by McDonough, the most senior member of management in the room, that he would handle the situation. Regardless of who was, or was perceived to be, responsible for handling the situation, Aldrich continued to travel and work with the team, and participate in team activities throughout the playoffs. We found no evidence that any action was taken to address the issue until after the playoffs ended."

Aldrich stayed with the team for the rest of the playoffs, celebrated the Cup win with the team, and during this celebration allegedly made unwanted physical contact with a 22 year old team intern. He was later confronted about it and given the chance to resign to avoid a team investigation. He resigned, but still got his name on the Cup, got a ring, took part in the banner raising and got a day with the Cup. The team gave him a letter of recommendation, which in part allowed him to get jobs with USA hockey, colleges and a high school.

The absolute best case scenario for Bowman is that (as GM) he trusted the President of hockey operations to handle it and then forgot most the details about the team not opening an investigation and allowing him to travel with the team. The now public details are just too damning for him to keep his job as President. His best case scenario is that he was the #2 person in the organization for a complete and total organizational failure that has tarnished the memory of the team's golden era and will likely cost the organization at least 8 figures during their biggest financial struggle in decades.

Last edited:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Very convenient of Bowman to wait to see how his team would start before resigning.

Also, hilariously sad that so far the only punishment is $2mil. The Devils were fined $3mil and forfeited a 1st and 3rd for the Kovalchuk contract.
I agree that the punishment is a joke. With that said, there are still civil cases pending, so hopefully we either see a large settlement or a large verdict.

Edit: and they paid for the investigation that was just released, which isn't going to be a small fee. Jenner and Block is very much an expensive law firm and they put a ton of billable hours into this report. The team leader was a firm partner and I'd be shocked if there were less than 5 associates working on it. Paying a law firm to interview 139 people, sift through 100+ gigs of data, sift through 49 boxes of paper records, and draft a 70+ page report on the findings costs a small fortune.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I agree that the punishment is a joke. With that said, there are still civil cases pending, so hopefully we either see a large settlement or a large verdict.
For sure, but there needs to be something besides monetary loss for them for the punishment dished out by the league to actually mean anything.

Reactions: Brian39

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
It's a full-on Penn State and the disgrace should stay with the franchise and those Cup teams. They straightforwardly and calmly decided that managers raping and extorting the employees was not going to get in the way of the name engravings, and those engravings signify your legacy passed down through the generations. Then the predator they let roam free went on to attack children. Meanwhile John Doe goes on to get asked by Blackhawk players whether he "misses his boyfriend."

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
It is repugnant that the report shares so many identifying details about the victim (age, status on roster, size, etc..) that it is clear exactly who he is. Awful. As if he hasn't suffered enough.
So who was it? I haven't look about this whole thing at all.

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City

Edit: and they paid for the investigation that was just released, which isn't going to be a small fee. Jenner and Block is very much an expensive law firm and they put a ton of billable hours into this report. The team leader was a firm partner and I'd be shocked if there were less than 5 associates working on it. Paying a law firm to interview 139 people, sift through 100+ gigs of data, sift through 49 boxes of paper records, and draft a 70+ page report on the findings costs a small fortune.

Small fortune? I suspect most of us could buy several nice houses, and cars to drive to each of them, with the money they will pay the lawyers.

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City
It's a full-on Penn State and the disgrace should stay with the franchise and those Cup teams. They straightforwardly and calmly decided that managers raping and extorting the employees was not going to get in the way of the name engravings, and those engravings signify your legacy passed down through the generations. Then the predator they let roam free went on to attack children. Meanwhile John Doe goes on to get asked by Blackhawk players whether he "misses his boyfriend."

Definitely a Penn State. Or Ohio State. Or Michigan State. Or……silly me used to think coaches really cared about their players.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
On Page 11 of the report, the findings state that after extensive searching, no 2010 personnel file for Brad Aldrich could be located.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
On page 17-18 of the report, we learn that Brad Aldrich was recommended to the Blackhawks by a member of the Sharks organization, since Aldrich's dad was the Sharks equipment manager.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
So who's missing from the Avs tonight? They can't be losing with MacKinnon, Landy, Rantanen, and Makar in the lineup. At least that's what I keep being told.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Small fortune? I suspect most of us could buy several nice houses, and cars to drive to each of them, with the money they will pay the lawyers.
That amount of money is right in line with my intent when I said "small fortune." Probably 1-2 houses in Ladue/Clayton or 2-3 houses further out into the county. I'm not talking about all legal fees through this entire process, just the legal fees for the investigation and the report I linked.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
It is repugnant that the report shares so many identifying details about the victim (age, status on roster, size, etc..) that it is clear exactly who he is. Awful. As if he hasn't suffered enough.
I'm going to push back on this a bit. This is why the law firm wasn't recommending public release. The victim demanded that it be released publicly and conditioned his participation in the investigation on the agreement that it would be made public. All of the identifying facts in there are relevant to the conclusions drawn and were not simply in there to out the guy's identity. The victim insisted that the report be released in full, meaning that anything not made available to you and me also wouldn't have been made available to the team or league.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I'm going to push back on this a bit. This is why the law firm wasn't recommending public release. The victim demanded that it be released publicly and conditioned his participation in the investigation on the agreement that it would be made public. All of the identifying facts in there are relevant to the conclusions drawn and were not simply in there to out the guy's identity. The victim insisted that the report be released in full, meaning that anything not made available to you and me also wouldn't have been made available to the team or league.
Some of this information should have been redacted to protect his identity. Like his age, for example. Or his size. One you know that he was Black Ace (which was probably necessary to the report) age and size paint bulls eye. It's not at all unusual for identifying information like this to be redacted in public release of information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad