All Purpose Training Camp Thread.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Why is it nice? Lol, he was one of our best D last year. Not like he didn't belong at the top pair.

Top pair by default, it's nice to see him pushed down the depth chart by better players.

No doubt once the Leafs are competitive again it won't be with Gunnar on the top pair.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Top pair by default, it's nice to see him pushed down the depth chart by better players.

No doubt once the Leafs are competitive again it won't be with Gunnar on the top pair.
By default? Gardiner was as good and he wasn't there. Gunnar has great chemistry with Phaneuf and is a good player. He wasn't there because we had no other options.

Badger Mayhew*

I just like him there because he's a defensive presence who allows Phaneuf to stretch out, get creative and play his game.

Look at Scuderi. Not a top-pairing defenceman in the traditional sense, but he fits in well with Doughty because of his strong defensive game.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
By default? Gardiner was as good and he wasn't there. Gunnar has great chemistry with Phaneuf and is a good player. He wasn't there because we had no other options.

I agree he's a good player, just not a top pairing defenseman.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
In the end, I want to see:

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Gunnarsson
Liles - Franson

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Why exactly is gunnar not a 'top pair' defenseman? And what does that mean? He's obviously not a #1, but half of the 'top pair' doesnt have to be. Weber/Suter and Keith/Seabrook pairings are the exception, not the rule. Most top pairings are an excellent defenseman paired with a good one.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Gunnarsson
Liles - Franson

Gunnar is absolutely the best guy to play Rielly with. Compliments him perfectly. He's so steady, will keep Rielly out of trouble and while he can contribute offesnively is happy to sit back and let Rielly skate with it.

Rielly will hold Dion back from playing his game long-term imo because he'll have to play too cautious. Dion's great at jumping up into the rush or steping up on a guy at the blueline. Occaisonally he'll make a bad read and will need someone to cover his ***. Gards has the wheels to do it.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
What are you guys talking about? Dion's probably just seeing if he likes Morgan or not so he can get him traded.. :sarcasm:

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto

Gunnar was one of our best d year round. He was consistent, quiet, got the job done, and had chemistry with dion. I don't think he should be on the third d pairing.

DevinH2004

Nov 29, 2009

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Gunnarsson
Liles - Franson

While I do agree that this might be how it shakes out barring injuries, I think the Gardiner, Rielly, Liles becomes a bit redundant and we'd be better served to have a Holzer or Fraser (Holzer would be my pick he deserves it) on that last pairing. Komisarek you could keep around to slot in and out where needed.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Seems like we got too many centermen (Bozak, Grabovski, McCLement, Steckel, Lombardi, Connolly...). I wouldn't be surprised to see one of Bozak, Steckel, Lombardi or Connolly traded in the not too distant future.

I'd like to see:

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
MacArthur-Grabovski-Kulemin
Lombardi/Connolly-McClement-Komorov
Connolly/Lombardi-Steckel-Brown

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Liles-Franson
Gardiner-Komisarek
Holzer

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
While I do agree that this might be how it shakes out barring injuries, I think the Gardiner, Rielly, Liles becomes a bit redundant and we'd be better served to have a Holzer or Fraser (Holzer would be my pick he deserves it) on that last pairing. Komisarek you could keep around to slot in and out where needed.

on the other hand, we'd be the only team in hockey with 5 dmen with legit 40pt scoring talent.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
For those thinking of attending tomorrow's open practice:

Toronto Maple Leafs ‏@MapleLeafs
The FREE open practice tomorrow will have FREE hot chocolate, coffee & popcorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad