All Purpose Training Camp Thread.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
For those thinking of attending tomorrow's open practice:

Toronto Maple Leafs ‏@MapleLeafs
The FREE open practice tomorrow will have FREE hot chocolate, coffee & popcorn.

It would be sad if thats all the Leafs planned to do to make up for the lockout lol

Penalty Kill Icing*

Man... other teams have better view of scrimmage than what Leafs had tonight. Pathetic Leafs TV.

Hopefully they are going to stream the scrimmage from ACC as well (Isles even had broadcast crew doing play by play) which is still ON on NHL website right now.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Holzer will be on this team and in the starting 6 for next season. He is exactly what Carlyle wants from a defenseman and plays a very effective defensive game. We already saw how little he played Franson and I don't anticipate that changing. Hopefully Komisarek will fall out of favour so that the Leafs can play their best pairings. Mark Fraser is a slightly slower Mike Komisarek, but without the stupid giveaways and he can actually win a fight.

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Holzer
Liles-Franson
Fraser

Rielly to junior (when Gardiner comes back), Komisarek to waivers/8th defenseman.

hattub

Jul 6, 2006
Very interested about a Komorov Grabo Kulemin line. The energy on this line would drive other teams crazy.

Lupul Bozak Kessel -- Scoring Line 1
Komorov Grabo Kulumin --Energy/the do everything line
JVR Kadri Mac/Frattin -- Scoring line 2
Connolly McClement Brown -- Checking line

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Any news on Frattin during camp so far and how he's performed? Haven't heard much of anything regarding him. I guess most players have been shadowed by all the Kadri/Rielly talk.

D3ADLY

Jan 8, 2009
Twitter @AgentDeadly
#FREEKADRI or #AHLKADRI

After listening to Randy Carlyle on the scrimmage yesterday it does not seems like Nazem Kadri will get his fair chance to play for the Toronto Maple Leafs. Kadri had great 1st but for some reason Carlyle was not fully satisfied with his 2nd and 3rd period effort that tell's me as a listener that while he had a hat trick in the first he was "useless" for 66% of the game. As a developing player trying to make the big leagues he didn't hear praise for his efforts instead was (in my mind) put down and discouraged. Seriously guys, how much are we going to develop the kid? I'd rather have him playing in the NHL and score 24 points in 48 games in his first sort of full stint then keep on developing him in the AHL. Not many top picks were/are Rocket Richards and i think if he does not make it this time it is going to be totally unfair to his development cause he will never learn at the big stage. Nazem has really high talent level and can not be wasted. Guys like Antropov, Poni are prime examples for us they got full time chance they sucked but Leafs brass kept on giving both full time duties and the 2 eventually started getting production. I Just think its really time for the Leaf Management to do the same with Kadri and let him play let him make mistakes so he can learn from it maybe he has more of a positive impact in the long run. I don't wanna rant #FreeKadri or #AHLKadri but i think i might have to get on #FreeKadri bandwagon again if he is sent back. Any thoughts as always will be appreciated.
Have a good day

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
I want him to earn a spot on this team but he has to earn it. All coaches will always be pushing their guys for more. You scored a hat trick in the first? what'd you do in the 2nd and 3rd? every coach does this to push their players. I wouldn't read into it too much.

That said where do we play him if he makes the Team? the first line is pretty much set and the 2nd line might as well be too with JVR and Grabo and probably Mac. so Where does Kadri play?

Kadri, Kulemin, Frattin, McClemment, Steckel, Connoly, Brown, Komorov

8 players fighting for 6 spots. and Kadri might be better offensivly then the rest but if they're still far better defensivly then what do you do?

I guess they can all make it since Connoly will be injured any day now.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I have read that Carlyle was less than impressed with Connolly so far after Wednesday's scrimmage. With little time left, he might find himself in the press box early. (Lineup must be set to 23 by Friday noon)

He will probably go with the familiar top lines to start the season. Then fiddle with the line up after the first busy week.
[pre]
Lupul. Bozak. Kessel
Mac. Grabovski. Kulemin
JVR Kadri. Frattin
Komorov. McClement. Brown[/pre]

Steckel/Connolly

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
Really, all Kadri has to do is prove that he can help win games more than Colton Orr can, and he'll be on the team.

Shootouts alone should make that decision easy.

You get to the last game of the season, you need a shootout goal to get into the playoffs, who would you rather have on the bench?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Komorov-McClement-Brown (or switch Kulemin in for Brown)

Could be a pretty interesting shut-down line. McClement is very used to going up against the best of the best, and Komorov can just straight up piss them off, get them off their game, etc. Brown would add some sandpaper, Kulemin would add more of an intelligent two-way game.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
“The one thing that’s impressed us with Kadri was in the faceoff circle, a little area where one-on-one compete has to be high,” said Carlyle. “He beat some of our veteran guys in our area to start with the puck.

“He has the skill set, he showed it before, he showed it in the American League. And we have to make a decision whether he can continue to make a contribution at the NHL level.”

For his part, Kadri says he’s ready.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...fs-kadri-happy-to-be-dealing-with-clean-slate

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm not sure what else Kadri has to show the Leafs for him to stick around.

Seems like he's improved in every area that were problems in the past couple years.

Sure he may not be a Selke trophy nominee anytime soon but I think he can contribute pretty well, even in a third line role with MacArthur and likely Connolly.

I don't think we'll miss a player like Orr, that can barely take a punch or even skate for that matter. The same can be said about Steckel for that matter, where he'll win a faceoff... but that's about it.

We'll see how he does today and tomorrow in the scrimmages.

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
Curious to know the lines for today's scrimmage and when cuts will be made. I know the roster is down to 27 guys now, and essentially 2 forwards and 2 defensemen need to go to have the 14 fwd 7 defensemen 2 goalie

12345*

I'm not sure what else Kadri has to show the Leafs for him to stick around.

Seems like he's improved in every area that were problems in the past couple years.

Sure he may not be a Selke trophy nominee anytime soon but I think he can contribute pretty well, even in a third line role with MacArthur and likely Connolly.

I don't think we'll miss a player like Orr, that can barely take a punch or even skate for that matter. The same can be said about Steckel for that matter, where he'll win a faceoff... but that's about it.

We'll see how he does today and tomorrow in the scrimmages.

Improvement doesn't mean that the state of his game in several key areas is at an NHL level. Improvement doesn't equal readiness.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
I really hope that Fraser will stick. With Fraser and Brown in the lineup they don't need to add a pure enforcer like Orr. Orr has been one of the best fighters over the years but he has been really hurt in the past. It seems kinda gross and dangerous to keep him in there risking all kinds of brain trauma (for obvious dark reasons).
Orr calls out guys for fights when the game needs a boost. Fraser will drop the gloves, primarily during the play, if something happens that he thinks is dirty. It's a big difference.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Improvement doesn't mean that the state of his game in several key areas is at an NHL level. Improvement doesn't equal readiness.

I agree in some cases.

In Kadri's case however, I think it's a sign of readiness. He's been playing a lot tighter for the Marlies and there's major improvements in his overall game.

Like I said, he's not perfect but he definitely has a lot more value to the Leafs than quite a few other players that might make it simply because of their contracts.

At some point, Kadri's game will have to be taken to the NHL despite his flaws so that he can keep developing, just like most young players growing from the AHL to the NHL.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I imagine Kostka and Fraser will be cut

I agree with Kostka. His skillset is redundant with Franson, Rielly, Liles, Phaneuf and Gardiner infront of him.

Fraser though I think will make the team as the #7-8 defenseman. Poulin thinks he'll stick.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
I agree with Kostka. His skillset is redundant with Franson, Rielly, Liles, Phaneuf and Gardiner infront of him.

Fraser though I think will make the team as the #7-8 defenseman. Poulin thinks he'll stick.

I would want Fraser to stick. I wouldn't mine trading Liles if we can get at least a 2nd round/ late first round pick for him. Kostka is also bigger than Liles so he has size. He also can score in the AHL well, hopefully he can score in the NHL well. He is a late-blooming prospect.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I have read that Carlyle was less than impressed with Connolly so far after Wednesday's scrimmage. With little time left, he might find himself in the press box early. (Lineup must be set to 23 by Friday noon)

He will probably go with the familiar top lines to start the season. Then fiddle with the line up after the first busy week.
[pre]
Lupul. Bozak. Kessel
Mac. Grabovski. Kulemin
JVR Kadri. Frattin

Steckel/Connolly

That wouldn't be the end of the world.

There are going to be injuries.

I watched TSN, IIRC on Kadri and you'd think he had been sentenced to some prison or something over the past 3 years.

He's been playing professional hockey, getting paid, and hopefully feeling part of a team. I'm not sure why everyone is making this out to be some hardship? He should be having fun, hanging out with the guys, and being part of it. Hopefully he isn't spending his time whinging and crying about being screwed by the team. I'm not saying he is, but it sounds like some of the fans are. Would you want a teammate like that? Someone that dismisses everything you are doing, saying you are garbage but I'm not up because they don't like me?

They make is seem like he's the only player that has to go through development, or make a team. It's pro sports, not your city league you pay to play in.

AHL:
Palmieri 146 games, 134 points, .92 ppg
Kadri 119 games, 107 points, .90 ppg
Holland 108 games, 97 points, .90 ppg

I wonder if everyone is handing out tissues in Anaheim?

He has a great chance to make the team, but he has to be part of the team and fit in. These guys are all in this together, and as players say, you have to rely on teammates. No one gets special treatment, it is about putting the best players on the ice who'll create a winning atmosphere.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener

[pre]
Lupul. Bozak. Kessel
Mac. Grabovski. Kulemin
JVR Kadri. Frattin

Steckel/Connolly

I think for this year especially teams can and probably should run a top 9 with a 4th line shut down line

with so many games in a short period you'll need to balance it out a bit more than normal seasons.

this type of line up would do that

12345*

I think for this year especially teams can and probably should run a top 9 with a 4th line shut down line

with so many games in a short period you'll need to balance it out a bit more than normal seasons.

this type of line up would do that

That's the structural this team will need, regardless of the shortened season issues. Carlyle expects a level of work ethic that would be unsustainable if he was rolling 3 lines with an emphasis on top 6. He will emphasize balls out short shifts, cycling through all 4 lines. While we don't have a lot of top end talent, we have the depth to roll lines like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad