Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
IF it is true that McGroarty did sour on this team because there isn’t a spot for him, then True North needs to take a step back and evaluate what they’re doing here. There’s no way a “draft and develop” team should lose their top prospect because he feels there isn’t a spot for him here.

Again, IF all this speculation is true … we really don’t know.
you can also ruin prospects by rushing them into the nhl, people have talked about his skating not being up to par yet, we were a 110 point team, perfetti struggled and couldn't even stay in the line up so why should we gift a player who might not be ready a spot in the line up?

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Man, the entitlement of these kids these days (if true)

"Draft and develop" is one thing

"Draft and gift spots to entitled kids who aren't pro-ready" is another

You can't skip the "develop" part of "draft and develop"
Not necessarily gift him a spot straight to the show. But I’m not sure how much more he can accomplish at Michigan given the season he just had. What’s more beneficial for him? Another season in NCAA, or being a black ace in the playoffs and then starting next year on the Moose?

you can also ruin prospects by rushing them into the nhl, people have talked about his skating not being up to par yet, we were a 110 point team, perfetti struggled and couldn't even stay in the line up so why should we gift a player who might not be ready a spot in the line up?
See my response @Buffdog to below your post.

Never mind, HF merged the posts anyway haha

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Not necessarily gift him a spot straight to the show. But I’m not sure how much more he can accomplish at Michigan given the season he just had. What’s more beneficial for him? Another season in NCAA, or being a black ace in the playoffs and then starting next year on the Moose?
he didn't want to go to the moose

Reactions: voyageur

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
he didn't want to go to the moose
Oh, that’s more interesting. Where did you hear that? I missed it.

I’m still not sure there’s much more for him to accomplish in college. Think the next logical step was the pros. Would Rutger have been opposed to signing and competing for a spot in training camp, going down to the Moose only if he didn’t make the team?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

I’m still not sure there’s much more for him to accomplish in college. Think the next logical step was the pros. Would Rutger have been opposed to signing and competing for a spot in training camp, going down to the Moose only if he didn’t make the team?
I'm not sure where it came from but somebody said or wrote that he didn't see a spot available with the jets and would rather go back to college then play in the ahl, I'm sure they discussed all the options with him

Last edited:
Reactions: Buffdog

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba

There is no spot to compete for with Jets checking line mentality. Telling a kid that he could have the best camp of any player and he’s still going to the Moose ain’t gonna fly anymore with high pedigree, talented players who are coveted by other teams.
If we aren’t making room most years for a rookie or 2 to challenge for a spot we are failing imo.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
If this is true that he's whining about playing in the minors and will only sign if he's on the team. He should be provided an opportunity but with the understanding that if he's not one of the 3 best at his position or you're going down.

Not good enough? Ship him out of here. So much for being a character guy.

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
To me, "included in trade talks" means that chevy may be working something bigger and teams are asking for Rutger as an add-on piece

In terms of "teams discussing acquiring his rights", to me that means that him returning to Michigan raised some eyebrows and GMs called to see if there's an unwillingness to sign

Yes and yes.
The other thing I’ll point out is the insiders and media last summer talking like it was a forgone conclusion that helly & Scheifele were gone, and that helly had informed the Jets he wouldn’t sign (or something along those lines) and other insiders extending those comments re: helly to Scheifele as well. And we all know how that played out. With the draft a week away now, there will be rumours swirling.

One thing I’m confident about and that gives me comfort: Chevy will ensure the return is worth it if McG does indeed get traded - at least that’s what I believe based on his track record.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Of course IF he wanted to not sign in Winnipeg he wont sign in Montreal either.

But as a great fit, what would Montreal offer in return? Think Drysdale+2nd for Cutter Gauthier ie an impactful young player - so Guhle would be in the mix, Reinbacher, Beck+Jets 1st...
I wonder what the Jets would have to add to get Nate Danielson out of Detroit.

The Jets gave KC a nice run when he left college early, even though he wasn't ready, but that was in the process of rebuilding.

Copper pretty much bypassed the A. I think 2 weeks he was there.

Dylan Samberg did the 3 year college route. Probably wouldn't have signed him without having Pionk as a mentor. He also did a season and a half on the Moose. And is now 2 years from UFA, just hitting his stride, and underpaid.

Trouba and Roslovic both didn't want to be here. Trouba was good enough on a bad enough team to go straight pro...Roslovic did the Moose tour was gone after ELC.

Nathan Smith refused to sign. Got a 4th rd pick for a 3rd round pick.

I think the Jets have had some hits and misses with these college guys.

The way Bones treated Perfetti last year did nothing good for the org and the way future young players will see the team.

Hopefully Scott Arniel changes that. But I wouldn't be surprised if both Lucius and Chibrikov ask to get traded if they don't make the Jets by the end of the season.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

Personally, I don't blame him for picking NCAA over the AHL. Captain the team, big man on campus, etc

Way fewer games, less travel. The AHL pay for ELCs isn't great (bonuses aside)

It'll be interesting to see if there's another stand-off next spring

Reactions: hn777 and Heldig

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
unless we get offered a high 1st, I doubt the jets trade him for a pick, think they will try and package him with something to upgrade the team

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Hb Rutger for Chicago's 18th? Probably plays with Nazar. Rutger was 14th overall 2 years pretty close :dunno:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Friedman just said McGroarty’s name is out there in trades. No specific team mentioned.

That is interesting. I won’t overreact to rumors without a bit more context. At the end of the day an asset is an asset. I like the kids playing style, compete, and charisma but he is another winger and if we can package him up to better our team IN THE FUTURE then nobody is untouchable.

If he’s on our roster come opening day 2025 then great. If we get a healthy return for him that is fine too. I am not into turning him into win this year asset packages please Mark C.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I'm not worried about it. If the Jets are serious about contending, their window is as far as Scheifele, Morrissey, and Hellebuyck can carry, so right now. Rutger in the NCAA doesn't help them right now.

Mike McIntire says in the IC Hockey Show that the relationship is "fractured" and there's "friction". Have to think that it's Rutger's camp dropping these hints, though they haven't talked to Rutger yet. Right now, he's an asset. Any way you can make the team better, you do it. If he doesn't want to sign, then move him for other assets. The next week will be interesting.

I agree that this draft is severely underwhelming. I see Rutger being traded for a similar NHL level player, not a pick or a group of picks.

Reactions: gojetsgo

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I'm not worried about it. If the Jets are serious about contending, their window is as far as Scheifele, Morrissey, and Hellebuyck can carry, so right now. Rutger in the NCAA doesn't help them right now.

Mike McIntire says in the IC Hockey Show that the relationship is "fractured" and there's "friction". Have to think that it's Rutger's camp dropping these hints, though they haven't talked to Rutger yet. Right now, he's an asset. Any way you can make the team better, you do it. If he doesn't want to sign, then move him for other assets. The next week will be interesting.
If Rutger's dad has already made an app, trade him now

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
the "jets have no leverage" type posts are starting on the main boards

The Jets had no leverage with Evander Kane, Zach Bogosian, Jacob Trouba, Dubois, etc etc etc.

How many f***ing teams actually have leverage over unsigned players? Someone will pay a price that Cheveldayoff agrees with, or he won't move. There are 31 other teams in the NHL. There will be offers.

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016
IF it is true that McGroarty did sour on this team because there isn’t a spot for him, then True North needs to take a step back and evaluate what they’re doing here. There’s no way a “draft and develop” team should lose their top prospect because he feels there isn’t a spot for him here.

Again, IF all this speculation is true … we really don’t know.

The Jets aren't a draft and develope team anymore. Now they trade away their draft licks to keep Scheifele and Helly happy.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agreed, the full “tank” model is not worth the risk / reward these days. Lots of parity in the league with the salary cap and available talent. Good thing for the league in my view. Too many teams have tried and failed it (or were terrible for 5 years only to become a bubble playoff team / early round knockout team) for it to be worth the bad years.

Some of it has been timing, selling all of your top talent to get mid rd picks in a weak draft class. Bottoming out for a weak draft class. Some of it has been bad drafting/scouting.

But have to agree that there have just been too many rebuilds that have had to restart one or more times or that have simply failed. Obviously it is a difficult strategy to carry out.

Colorado seems to have done pretty well. Buffalo keeps being brought up but nobody mentions Avs. Over 11 drafts they drafted 1, 2, 3, two 4s, two 10s. Those players are the core of their Cup winner. The later of their 1sts all busted. :laugh:

Edmonton seems to have finally made it. Ottawa and Buffalo are still spinning their wheels.

Like all strategies, the devil is in the details. Execution is everything. That includes the soft tank, the rebuild on the fly, the retool. But the pain of the full tank that takes too long is greater.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
The Jets aren't a draft and develope team anymore. Now they trade away their draft licks to keep Scheifele and Helly happy.
It's hard to develop players if they won't go to the Moose...Which current Jet didn't improve with AHL experience?

These college guys have the edge because they can hit UFA status in 4 years by not signing and playing in the A...They can force trades too, like Adam Fox...I think if the rumblings are out the Jets might have to move him because he is worth less at the end of the season, one from UFA status, although his value would probably be high at the trade deadline...But right now the Jets have work to do to be a playoff team again next year, and this team could get blowed up real good if they go nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad