Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
1) If I was a young drafted player, it makes a lot of sense to go the NCAA route given the significant advantages of controlling your future.

2) I agree that the Jets need to figure out how to add in young depth sooner. The examples of Heinola, Perfetti, Samberg, and Ehlers (considering his odd usage in view of his great analytics) might scare off some young prospects. Get a young/rookie skilled forwards on L1 and L2, have them mentored by Scheif/other Vets, and get some young energy and potential on 4th line.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Fans would have flipped out if Chevy sat tight and vilardi ended up out long term or perfetti didn't bounce back... we were close to iafallo back in our top six

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It makes me f***ing mad to think about. Imagine healthy scratching a 20 goal scorer on his ELC for any length of time. f*** you, Bowness. Hope Arniel is better about it.

Yup and then early in the year having him 9th in forward ice time when he was third in scoring while being very responsible defensively. Players aren't stupid, they see when they aren't getting their due.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
What amuses me is that this is nothing you couldn't have foreseen years in advance. A Jets prospect suddenly figuring out that perhaps the org that doesn't give its prospects a fair shot isn't the org they should stay with - this was bound to happen. These prospects talk to each other, and if they know better, they probably don't want their only shot at a NHL career to be hindered in such a fashion. Don't act like people didn't warn you even on these boards.

That said, our top prospect doing this would be uncharacteristic. For how shit we are with young players, our top prospects have been the one group getting mostly fair treatment. Something must have gone spectacularly wrong here, and I'm curious as to what it is.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Some of it has been timing, selling all of your top talent to get mid rd picks in a weak draft class. Bottoming out for a weak draft class. Some of it has been bad drafting/scouting.

But have to agree that there have just been too many rebuilds that have had to restart one or more times or that have simply failed. Obviously it is a difficult strategy to carry out.

Colorado seems to have done pretty well. Buffalo keeps being brought up but nobody mentions Avs. Over 11 drafts they drafted 1, 2, 3, two 4s, two 10s. Those players are the core of their Cup winner. The later of their 1sts all busted. :laugh:

Edmonton seems to have finally made it. Ottawa and Buffalo are still spinning their wheels.

Like all strategies, the devil is in the details. Execution is everything. That includes the soft tank, the rebuild on the fly, the retool. But the pain of the full tank that takes too long is greater.
The key to tanking your way to success seems to be landing a generational (or semi/pseudo generational) player like McDavid, Mackinnon, Crosby, Toews, etc. Doesn't hurt to get two of them (Drai, Malkin, Kane)

The issues become:

1. Being bad enough to get high lottery odds
2. Winning the lottery
3. Not f***ing up the pick/having a good looking pick bust

Seems like a lot can go wrong during the process

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
What amuses me is that this is nothing you couldn't have foreseen years in advance. A Jets prospect suddenly figuring out that perhaps the org that doesn't give its prospects a fair shot isn't the org they should stay with - this was bound to happen. These prospects talk to each other, and if they know better, they probably don't want their only shot at a NHL career to be hindered in such a fashion. Don't act like people didn't warn you even on these boards.

That said, our top prospect doing this would be uncharacteristic. For how shit we are with young players, our top prospects have been the one group getting mostly fair treatment. Something must have gone spectacularly wrong here, and I'm curious as to what it is.
Would YOU have gifted Rutger a spot on the team last year?

This doesn't have to be all about the org. Prospects can have unrealistic expectations too

There are plenty of guys in locker rooms tho were late round picks (or undrafted) who had to pay their dues and claw their way through the minors into the NHL. Handing a 19 year old, mid first round pick with one year (at the time) of college experience a spot on a roster is a great way to make sure that there's at least a little resentment/animosity in the room

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Friedman just said McGroarty’s name is out there in trades. No specific team mentioned.
One thing I have learned about Friedman and the Jets … he is batting 1000 with the Jet rumours. He has yet to get one rumour right.

Speaking off the Habs the only rumour I haven’t heard is mcdavid going to the Habs seriously the majority of the rumours all involved the Habs lol.
Only 9 more days until July 1st

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Well this is shitty news to wake up to.

I really liked McG and by all accounts it seemed like he was excited to be drafted by the Jets. Perhaps his recent individual success has gone to his head and he feels like he should be in the top 9 out of the gate. It's a shame because he seems like such a good kid but perhaps he just doesn't feel like there is a shot for that currently.

At any rate there seems to be a lot of draft picks available this year. Jackets have 4th overall out there and surely they would likely have a spot for Rutger available. A top 4 pick essentially ensures we could draft one of Demidov (RW/C), Levshunov (RHD) or Parekh (RHD). Plenty of other good options as well like Lindstrom (C), Silayev (LHD), Dickinson (LHD),

Other teams that come to mind are Buffalo, Montreal, Utah, Chicago.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Would YOU have gifted Rutger a spot on the team last year?

This doesn't have to be all about the org. Prospects can have unrealistic expectations too

There are plenty of guys in locker rooms tho were late round picks (or undrafted) who had to pay their dues and claw their way through the minors into the NHL. Handing a 19 year old, mid first round pick with one year (at the time) of college experience a spot on a roster is a great way to make sure that there's at least a little resentment/animosity in the room
And coming off an injury...

The mythology of blocking prospects is off the charts here

Stan is given chance after chance - so was Ves... Gus and Barron are regulars - Pionk was handed a sweet contract early

We have griped so much about perfetti that it's become an urban legend

Reactions: Jets 31 and Buffdog

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
How about Hawks 2025 with only #1 protection? Hawks pick lands anywhere else its Jets if Hawks end up picking #1 then Jets get 2026 Hawks 1st unprotected
bad for the hawks imo. hawks are still probably crap next year & probably a lotto pick.

rutger is a 14th overall pick from 2022 & seems like he's refusing to sign w/ the Jets. i liken it to drysdale (6th OA, 2020)+2025 2nd for gauthier (5th OA, 2022). so something around a mid 1st + a possibility of smaller additions, depending on quality of draft (which is a yearly debate and difficult to predict).

if this is a case of one team only from Rutgers POV (ie: like adam fox) then that would diminish his value more. but don't think that's the case.

Reactions: Buffdog

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
100% - perfetti was given a top six role at age 21 and then pencilled in at C to start this season

Maybe McGroarty is spending too much time on HFBoards...

Perfetti earned his role. His line went dry even though he continued to play well. He got dropped to 4th line and then PB. He got just 3 games at C.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
bad for the hawks imo. hawks are still probably crap next year & probably a lotto pick.

rutger is a 14th overall pick from 2022 & seems like he's refusing to sign w/ the Jets. i liken it to drysdale (6th OA, 2020)+2025 2nd for gauthier (5th OA, 2022). so something around a mid 1st + a possibility of smaller additions, depending on quality of draft (which is a yearly debate and difficult to predict).

if this is a case of one team only from Rutgers POV (ie: like adam fox) then that would diminish his value more. but don't think that's the case.

Yeah seems like he just wants somewhere he can step in right away. Jets will do their due diligence and it's quite likely we see a sign and trade sort of situation here so the receiving party gets the player.

I'd imagine there will be plenty of interest from teams in the bottom that think a player like McG can easily step into their top 9 next season.

To be fair it wasn’t just Jets fans and HF saying it. Scouts and coaches were as well.

He said all the right things. Have to wonder if this is his agent getting in his head. Kid seemed beyond excited that he was drafted by us.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
lol... you don't think the jets told him that he would need to win a spot in training camp or else he would start on the moose...

IDK, was he?
There are different ways of putting that. You can emphasize opportunity or you can emphasize probability of Moose. Was he told there would be a spot available?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I think this team pivoted after really struggling with 3rd and 4th line talent from 2020 on...I mean there was Perreault when he could stay healthy, but the likes of Harkins, Toninato, Vesalainen, on and on were a reason the Jets lost matchups...All of a sudden you have a 4th line of Iafallo-Barron-Namestnikov who win matchups and your team wins. Lowry's line was a catalyst all year.

Now do you move players out who are getting the job done, to make way for a prospect who hasn't proven himself...I could see that rubbing the veteran leaders the wrong way. Tell Adam Lowry he can't have Nino as a winger because we have this kid who thinks he should be playing as a pro. If he is 4th line he's knocking out a PKer in the lineup...Is Mc Groarty an NHL ready Pker?

These are tough decisions for any GM, thank God we got Barron, Lambert and Salomonsson for Andrew Copp, that trade is going to be the best in Jets history. All of those guys were/are willing to go through the Moose to get to the Jets.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Fans would have flipped out if Chevy sat tight and vilardi ended up out long term or perfetti didn't bounce back... we were close to iafallo back in our top six
I think most of our group on the forums wanted a C and a RD. The rumour mill and Bowness demoting Cole made it look like we were targeting C and a RS wing.

I think everyone was happy getting Toffoli because it was clear by that point Bowness was done with Cole and the price was right.

It's unfortunate. Monahan and Toffoli seemed like great veteran fits to a well rounded team. Didn't get enough out of them in the 5 postseason games.

Unfortunately this time our biggest liability, statistically speaking, in the regular season came back to bite us the worst. And is also an ongoing problem.

In hindsight, Ehlers Namestnikov and Perfetti was probably a better line than Ehlers Monahan and Toffoli

Monahan was a much needed addition to the PP so in that sense he was worth it. I think Vladdy was a better chemistry fit with Ehlers than Monahan 5v5 and that also was magnified in playoffs.

Easier to say in hindsight but it was a concern some had with acquiring Monahan. We gained finishing on the PP but gave a lot back in transition demoting Vlad.

I'd still like us to bring back Monahan because of what he brought to the PP. I think his role is more bottom six C that can win face offs and finish so price becomes a factor.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
IDK, was he?
There are different ways of putting that. You can emphasize opportunity or you can emphasize probability of Moose. Was he told there would be a spot available?

I'm guessing the Jets told him that he would have to earn a spot and it might not be at C. And if that spot was looking like 4th line, they would prefer he play top minutes in the AHL than play bottom minutes in the NHL until he's ready for a top 9 spot.

Reactions: Mooche

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
At any rate there seems to be a lot of draft picks available this year. Jackets have 4th overall out there and surely they would likely have a spot for Rutger available. A top 4 pick essentially ensures we could draft one of Demidov (RW/C), Levshunov (RHD) or Parekh (RHD). Plenty of other good options as well like Lindstrom (C), Silayev (LHD), Dickinson (LHD),
#4 guarantees you an absolutely spectacular D prospect (don't forget Buium!) - or if you have to settle for a forward, Demidov isn't that bad either. That said, is Columbus looking for anything unproven here? Another difficult one to answer.

And coming off an injury...

The mythology of blocking prospects is off the charts here

Stan is given chance after chance - so was Ves... Gus and Barron are regulars - Pionk was handed a sweet contract early

We have griped so much about perfetti that it's become an urban legend
Pionk wasn't a prospect, and the rest of the guys you listed are/were given roles as fourth liners/third pairing guys. If that's the opportunity you're getting from here, why would prospects not look elsewhere? They have everything on the line, they can't afford to play eight minutes a night and hope that something happens.

And as said before, one key factor contributing to our failures with prospects is the top-heavy system we use. Can't give prospects good opportunities, when you don't spread out the talent across four lines.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
IDK, was he?
I mean, it should be pretty obvious that the jets would have discussed all the available options to him...

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
To be fair it wasn’t just Jets fans and HF saying it. Scouts and coaches were as well.
scouts and coaches will always big up their guys. you ever hear a coach of a player describe on of their own as a low character guy? point is i think HFJets need to temper their coronation of prospects prior to even playing an nhl game.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
#4 guarantees you an absolutely spectacular D prospect (don't forget Buium!) - or if you have to settle for a forward, Demidov isn't that bad either. That said, is Columbus looking for anything unproven here? Another difficult one to answer.

Yeah that's the kicker. It's really hard to gauge where McGroarty is and what that value looks like on the trade floor. He's likely ready to step into some sort of NHL role, with some growing pains, but he's ready. Is that value a 4th overall pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad