Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016
I'd be very surprised if Chevy and Arniel haven't had lengthy conversations with him on what his role will be next year.

No doudt they told Cole that his role will be to help get the Jets into the playoffs but then he will sit because they think he is too small for playoff hockey

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
let me just call up chevy and ask... idk, it just seems like a no brainer that the jets would have told him he would need to earn a spot out of training camp and if he couldn't do that he would start with the moose..

You just keep ignoring my point.

The way you are describing it they could have done it in an email. You are leaving no room for presentation. Call it spin. Of course the bare, cold, hard facts would have been in there somewhere.

Did they encourage the idea that his chances of earning that spot out of TC were good or bad? And yes, of course, if he failed to do that he would start with the Moose. Where else could it have been?

Did they go all in on incentives? I don't recall for certain but I think there was still time to give him an NHL game late in the season. Did they offer him that?

All you or I know is that he was not sufficiently incentivized to get him to sign. And now he apparently is not likely to sign next year either. That is a pretty big pivot from his apparent attitude in the past.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
the Jets Wings

Perfetti RFA
Vilardi 1 year left still an RFA
KC 2 years left, i think they will extend
Ehlers 1 year left prior to UFA, not sure what happens.

4 top-6 wings spot, i think there is 1 conceivable opening if Ehlers is dealt. then you have mcgroarty, barlow, lambert (possible C) and chibrkov as prospects.

expand it to top-9

nino has multiple years left
appleton has 1 year left.

im guessing the 1st rounders in particular want a top-6 spot.... don't see any openings other than ehlers if not extended.

appleton or AI being moved offer other openings, however, moving guys for prospects has never been chevy's MO and i am going to guess rutger was told that prior to deciding to go back to college. if he's still here in 2025 there's a possibility of 3 wing spots being open (ehlers, appleton, iafallo).

i've been saying for a while i doubt the Jets do this ridiculous youth movement with multiple prospects inserted to start the season at once. the same Jets fwd group to start the 2023 season is still under contract in 2024. rutger is often regarded their top prospect right? if they weren't making room for him what are the chances they're making room for others lower down the totem pole?

Last edited:
Reactions: Buffdog

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah I think McG might sign there given he has a number of teammates on the roster and there is opportunity. Not sure what kind of plus we would need to give.

I don't think NJ is really looking to move on from Nemec just yet.

It's possible we could pry Jiricek out of CBJ though.

You are probably right, on both counts. But if McG is being dangled, who knows? Maybe there are more parts and pieces involved.

Honestly, probably not. That said, Columbus probably isn't in a position to wait much longer, so with an add from us, I think they could be convinced to pull the trigger. Columbus also has a couple of Michigan kids in their roster (Fantilli, Brindley, Johnson), so I'd imagine McG would love the opportunity to be re-united with his college teammates.

It could be whatever, but I mightily struggle to see any other alternatives than us refusing to guarantee an NHL spot next year. What else could make sense, given what we've seen from McG and our organisation handling their darling prospects in the past?

We will probably never really know. Seems to me it had to be something pretty severe. But maybe the enthusiasm he showed earlier was just an act.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
You just keep ignoring my point.

The way you are describing it they could have done it in an email. You are leaving no room for presentation. Call it spin. Of course the bare, cold, hard facts would have been in there somewhere.

Did they encourage the idea that his chances of earning that spot out of TC were good or bad? And yes, of course, if he failed to do that he would start with the Moose. Where else could it have been?

Did they go all in on incentives? I don't recall for certain but I think there was still time to give him an NHL game late in the season. Did they offer him that?

All you or I know is that he was not sufficiently incentivized to get him to sign. And now he apparently is not likely to sign next year either. That is a pretty big pivot from his apparent attitude in the past.
you are asking for specific details that nobody on hfboards has the answers too... from reading the free press article today it seems like he wanted to be guaranteed a spot on the team...

really don't think it's too big of a reach to think that the jets would have told him he would need to earn a spot in training up or else he likely starts with the moose

I do think it is a bit of a reach for them to just straight up tell him he will be starting with the moose with out even seeing how he does at training camp...

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
And coming off an injury...

The mythology of blocking prospects is off the charts here

Stan is given chance after chance - so was Ves... Gus and Barron are regulars - Pionk was handed a sweet contract early

We have griped so much about perfetti that it's become an urban legend

You are right. It is a mixed bag. Sometimes it seems there is neither rhyme nor reason for it.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think this team pivoted after really struggling with 3rd and 4th line talent from 2020 on...I mean there was Perreault when he could stay healthy, but the likes of Harkins, Toninato, Vesalainen, on and on were a reason the Jets lost matchups...All of a sudden you have a 4th line of Iafallo-Barron-Namestnikov who win matchups and your team wins. Lowry's line was a catalyst all year.

Now do you move players out who are getting the job done, to make way for a prospect who hasn't proven himself...I could see that rubbing the veteran leaders the wrong way. Tell Adam Lowry he can't have Nino as a winger because we have this kid who thinks he should be playing as a pro. If he is 4th line he's knocking out a PKer in the lineup...Is Mc Groarty an NHL ready Pker?

These are tough decisions for any GM, thank God we got Barron, Lambert and Salomonsson for Andrew Copp, that trade is going to be the best in Jets history. All of those guys were/are willing to go through the Moose to get to the Jets.

If Ehlers is being traded there is a top 9 spot available. Also Appleton is vulnerable to being pushed down. Maybe Nino moves up to Ehlers' spot and McG could have played 3LW.

I'm not advocating handing the spot to McG, but there are ways he could have earned a position.

And if it came down to keeping him on the 4th line rather than losing him altogether, so be it. I don't think he would have been on the 4th line for long.

Reactions: Aries56

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
If Ehlers is being traded there is a top 9 spot available. Also Appleton is vulnerable to being pushed down. Maybe Nino moves up to Ehlers' spot and McG could have played 3LW.

I'm not advocating handing the spot to McG, but there are ways he could have earned a position.

And if it came down to keeping him on the 4th line rather than losing him altogether, so be it. I don't think he would have been on the 4th line for long.
lol, a few posts ago you claimed that nobody was saying guarantee him a spot... now you post this...

Reactions: wraithsonwings

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah that's the kicker. It's really hard to gauge where McGroarty is and what that value looks like on the trade floor. He's likely ready to step into some sort of NHL role, with some growing pains, but he's ready. Is that value a 4th overall pick?

In most drafts, I don't think he would rate quite that high. Maybe more like 8-10, or 12. But this is not a strong class at the top. I think it might be deep (not sure of that). But I could stretch a point to see 4th in this draft.

I think it would depend on how CBJ see him fitting in. Rutger is a LHS but plays RW. They have a lot of RW so he would likely move to the left side.

I wonder how much they would give for his energy and enthusiasm in the room?

kenobiwan

Jun 1, 2022
In regards to his value, would a team picking 8th take Rutger in this years draft if he was available at his current rate? The return should be very decent

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Everyone seems to be assuming that this is because McGroarty wouldn't sign. I think it's just as plausible that the Jets have been looking at trading McGroarty to restructure their roster, and that's why they didn't sign him. It would have been bad PR and poor form to sign him, go through all the positive vibes and hype, and trade him a few months later.

Can't rule that out - but I think it would be extremely foolish. I might be overvaluing Rutger, but I think he has tremendous potential. Off the charts intangibles to go along with outstanding on ice performance.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
In most drafts, I don't think he would rate quite that high. Maybe more like 8-10, or 12. But this is not a strong class at the top. I think it might be deep (not sure of that). But I could stretch a point to see 4th in this draft.

I think it would depend on how CBJ see him fitting in. Rutger is a LHS but plays RW. They have a lot of RW so he would likely move to the left side.

I wonder how much they would give for his energy and enthusiasm in the room?

He's also pretty close to NHL ready. A 20 year old nearly ready McGroarty would likely go top 10 in most drafts. Just because he can slot in fast and you know what you have a bit more. Is that enough for 4th overall though?

In regards to his value, would a team picking 8th take Rutger in this years draft if he was available at his current rate? The return should be very decent

I think so. He owuld likely be close to a top 5 pick honestly. With what you know about him now if he was in this draft I think a lot of teams would take him rather than gamble on an 18 year old.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

I'm angry. At least Cheveldayoff isn't trying to kick the ball down the road. However, the slow walking of prospects is costing the Jets a legitimate middle six forward prospect, and the best one they have in their system. This is inexcusable. This organization cannot be a farm for other teams, just because you have a bunch of mid f***ing NHL players that you feel you have to play.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I put it on the main boards, but the guy I wonder about is Cole Sillinger on the Jackets...With Jenner and Fantilli now, he is probably a 3C, but does he have 2C potential? I can't see the Jets being stuck with some sort of combination of either Perfetti or Namestnikov as 2C, and Brad Lambert is still awfully young to expect him to be able to compete with some of the elite centres in the West, with no NHL experience.

If you keep your bottom lines together, which were successful, you can run the top line from last year, to some people's chagrin, and maybe the only change is the 2nd line...What would Perfetti-Sillinger-Lambert look like as an NHL line? Maybe the competition is Barlow vs. Lambert in camp. You still keep all those guys in bottom six roles that played up the lineup last year, so it's not a drastic change.

Then you just have to get the necessary picks and d-men for Ehlers and it's a different team, without changing a lot of parts, which is how Chevy seems to work.

I think Jenner is closer to a 3C than a 1C. He is like Lowry with a little more scoring. If a 2C now he will soon slide to 3.

Just my impressions here. I don't know their roster well enough to have fully formed opinions. CBJ have Fantilli at 1C. You are forgetting Kent Johnson. I think 2C for them is between Johnson and Sillinger, though Johnson may be destined for a wing.

Sillinger hasn't shown enough to be a lock at 2C, either with CBJ or Jets. But he is only just turned 21. I think he would be a very good 2C candidate for us. They would need to add to Sillinger to get McG, IMO.

What would people here think of Sillinger + Ceulemans for McGroarty?

Reactions: trebendan

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
2 assists in 23 games is not ok. Cole needed to sit for a game or two, but not 11. Then to replace him with a guy who has scored 4 goals in 113 games. Okey dokey. Good grief.
I would absolutely love that. Re-up DeMelo, move Ehlers for a 2C and we have set ourselves up for some good years with Salo, Lambert, Chibs and Barlow on their ELCs.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Everyone seems to be assuming that this is because McGroarty wouldn't sign. I think it's just as plausible that the Jets have been looking at trading McGroarty to restructure their roster, and that's why they didn't sign him. It would have been bad PR and poor form to sign him, go through all the positive vibes and hype, and trade him a few months later.

Nah. Ates' latest article paints it as Rutger believes he is NHL ready, and the Jets weren't going to guarantee him an NHL spot.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Nothing wrong with being optimistic at this stage.

When Kenny Wiebe is writing stories about this kind of stuff that's not a good sign for the club though.

And now having read Murat's article... yeah not looking like the Jets. If it was bad PR they were trying to avoid... well the player agent obviously was nice enough to share that info today

Reactions: roccerfeller

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I think Jenner is closer to a 3C than a 1C. He is like Lowry with a little more scoring. If a 2C now he will soon slide to 3.

Just my impressions here. I don't know their roster well enough to have fully formed opinions. CBJ have Fantilli at 1C. You are forgetting Kent Johnson. I think 2C for them is between Johnson and Sillinger, though Johnson may be destined for a wing.

Sillinger hasn't shown enough to be a lock at 2C, either with CBJ or Jets. But he is only just turned 21. I think he would be a very good 2C candidate for us. They would need to add to Sillinger to get McG, IMO.

What would people here think of Sillinger + Ceulemans for McGroarty?
Not saying the value is terrible, but the setup of getting a potential 2C that isn't there yet is so, so risky. Sign Monahan, and Sillinger is your 4C for a while - likely with no way up the lineup.

If Columbus wouldn't do #4 or Jiricek, I wonder if Mateychuk could be available. He'd instantly become our top prospect.

Potentially of interest - none of what Columbus has is Waddell's doing. It's not guaranteed, but there may be trades available that don't seem to make much sense for them.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
lol, a few posts ago you claimed that nobody was saying guarantee him a spot... now you post this...

Now I post this, where I say specifically, "I'm not advocating handing the spot to McG, but there are ways he could have earned a position". My point is that there could have been a position, or two, that he could have earned in TC.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I feel like last year could have ended differently. KC and Perfetti could have been the 2nd line...Ehlers on top line...but the reason the Jets traded for Toffoli was Valardi's injury as much as Perfetti struggling...I wonder if Chevy balked at burning Mc Groarty's ELC on a playoff run. Never know where the turning point came, but it does sound like the organization is concerned about him signing now.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Now I post this, where I say specifically, "I'm not advocating handing the spot to McG, but there are ways he could have earned a position". My point is that there could have been a position, or two, that he could have earned in TC.
"And if it came down to keeping him on the 4th line rather than losing him altogether, so be it. I don't think he would have been on the 4th line for long."

this would be a guaranteed spot in the line up and would contradict what you posted in the sentence before...

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
you are asking for specific details that nobody on hfboards has the answers too... from reading the free press article today it seems like he wanted to be guaranteed a spot on the team...

really don't think it's too big of a reach to think that the jets would have told him he would need to earn a spot in training up or else he likely starts with the moose

I do think it is a bit of a reach for them to just straight up tell him he will be starting with the moose with out even seeing how he does at training camp...

Rhetorical questions. I don't expect anyone to have the answers.

It is entirely possible that he wanted a guarantee. I don't know how likely that is. I don't think it happens often. A promise of a game or two at the end of the season (last season) is another matter. Takes a year off of the ELC besides NHL pay for a few days added to his signing bonus.

If he was demanding a hard and fast guaranteed NHL roster spot, I would not give him that either. How does a team even do that? The outline of an ELC is written in stone. It is always a 2 way contract, AFAIK.

Even KC, coming of a truly outstanding NCAA season in which he probably should have won the Hobey Baker had to go to the Moose.

Euro players get a clause allowing them to play in Europe if not in the NHL. Could a NA player get the same privilege? Would he have a Euro team to go to? I guess one could be found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad