Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
"And if it came down to keeping him on the 4th line rather than losing him altogether, so be it. I don't think he would have been on the 4th line for long."

this would be a guaranteed spot in the line up and would contradict what you posted in the sentence before...

Not what I meant by that. There, I am talking about a TC choice, but I guess the way I worded it, it comes down to that guarantee.

Not something I would tell him. Just a preference I would have in the end. He is our best prospect. I don't want to lose him. I don't want to have to settle for some trade return at 50 cents on the dollar.

Reactions: Thechozen1

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Yeah I think McG might sign there given he has a number of teammates on the roster and there is opportunity. Not sure what kind of plus we would need to give.

I don't think NJ is really looking to move on from Nemec just yet.

It's possible we could pry Jiricek out of CBJ though.
Waddell is definitely a GM who builds up pretty good defenses. He's got a decent prospect pool to work with...having traded Jake Bean before he will probably do it again. Be crazy to trade Jiricek for a forward prospect, when you have Laine as your trade asset.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Not what I meant by that. There, I am talking about a TC choice, but I guess the way I worded it, it comes down to that guarantee.

Not something I would tell him. Just a preference I would have in the end. He is our best prospect. I don't want to lose him. I don't want to have to settle for some trade return at 50 cents on the dollar.
why are we getting 50 cents on the dollar?

Reactions: Mooche

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not saying the value is terrible, but the setup of getting a potential 2C that isn't there yet is so, so risky. Sign Monahan, and Sillinger is your 4C for a while - likely with no way up the lineup.

If Columbus wouldn't do #4 or Jiricek, I wonder if Mateychuk could be available. He'd instantly become our top prospect.

Potentially of interest - none of what Columbus has is Waddell's doing. It's not guaranteed, but there may be trades available that don't seem to make much sense for them.

I think we might have to settle for some risk in the return. Philly had to settle for Drysdale in return for Gauthier. Drysdale was highly touted when he was drafted but after D+4 he isn't doing all that well yet. I wouldn't say he is busting but he isn't living up to the draft hype. Gauthier is.

Agree about Mateychuk. One VG Dman per pair can work, regardless of handedness.

Reactions: Maukkis

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Yes. A lot can go wrong. But that applies to any plan or strategy.
Sure, but other plans and strategies don't call for a team being so terrible that it's unwatchable for a decade

At least teams in the "mushy middle" are competitive most nights during the season. There might be 5 elite teams in the league at any gucen time but even then, they probably won't win a cup

I guess it depends on what people value as fans. There're ko right or wrong answers to that, everyone has their own opinion

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg

Exactly.

Having deja vu with the PLD trade all over again.

This is different but the same concept. Rutger is a coveted asset. This situation sucks but the Jets will not be settling on a return. There will be many teams wanting to acquire his rights, 100%.

Reactions: gojetsgo

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
If the Jets start making guarantees to their top prospects, it'll put a damper on the "eat shit sandwiches for a few seasons" development program.
If a player isn't ready for the NHL, having them develop at a lower level isn't making them eat shit sandwiches

Aside from maybe Heinola, how many "top" prospects have been overcooked in the AHL?

Reactions: Jets 31 and Aries56

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Nah. Ates' latest article paints it as Rutger believes he is NHL ready, and the Jets weren't going to guarantee him an NHL spot.

He probably IS NHL ready. That doesn't mean he gets a guaranteed NHL spot.

If he wants to compare himself to his buddies who stepped right into the NHL with Chicago and CBJ he wants to play on a team that is rebuilding and might not make the PO for years.

This has me extremely disappointed. To put it mildly. But it is his right to choose not to sign here. If that is his choice, trade him for the best possible return and forget him.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Wonder if we can pull off a bigger move here?

He wants to go to a team that has some open spots so likely a non-playoff team. Wonder if Anaheim would entertain something around Zegras maybe?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Look at what Philly got for Gauthier.

If we have to take 2-3 pieces in return there is a poor chance that any of them = McG. If it is picks in this draft we are getting a lot of risk, even if it is fairly high picks. It is not a strong draft class.

It is possible we do really well on the exchange, but I will be surprised.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Sure, but other plans and strategies don't call for a team being so terrible that it's unwatchable for a decade

At least teams in the "mushy middle" are competitive most nights during the season. There might be 5 elite teams in the league at any gucen time but even then, they probably won't win a cup

I guess it depends on what people value as fans. There're ko right or wrong answers to that, everyone has their own opinion

That's why I said in an earlier post that the pain for failure of the full tank strategy is much worse.

But the full tank has a better chance of eventually getting to the Cup. The continual retool keeps you competitive most nights but it also keeps you in the mushy middle indefinitely.

The only 'right' answer is to successfully execute whatever strategy you choose. And we agree that that is not easy.

Reactions: Buffdog

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Exactly.

Having deja vu with the PLD trade all over again.

This is different but the same concept. Rutger is a coveted asset. This situation sucks but the Jets will not be settling on a return. There will be many teams wanting to acquire his rights, 100%.

There should be lots of bidders. That will help. But they will all be trying to steal him. I look at the return Philly got for Gauthier. I hope Chevy does better than that.

It sounds like there is a bit of a rush to get this done. I hope Chevy doesn't see the draft or July 1 as any kind of deadline.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
There should be lots of bidders. That will help. But they will all be trying to steal him. I look at the return Philly got for Gauthier. I hope Chevy does better than that.

It sounds like there is a bit of a rush to get this done. I hope Chevy doesn't see the draft or July 1 as any kind of deadline.

"Hope the return is better than the guy who went 6th overall two years earlier". Sheesh.

Reactions: DRW204

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg

Any time there's a "disgruntled" player teams are always looking to swoop in on the cheap.

This is nothing new.

I highly doubt Chevy is rushing to get something done, personally. I just think there's going to be offers flying around that involve draft capital. If that's what the Jets feel is the best package, why wait?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Look at what Philly got for Gauthier.

If we have to take 2-3 pieces in return there is a poor chance that any of them = McG. If it is picks in this draft we are getting a lot of risk, even if it is fairly high picks. It is not a strong draft class.

It is possible we do really well on the exchange, but I will be surprised.

I wouldn't say its a bad draft either. Is it 2015? No, very few drafts are. But it's got a really nice group of defencemen if that is what we are after.

But if we can land a top 10 pick here than we can come away with a pretty solid prospect. Even better if it's top 5.

I think maybe Chevy see's the amount of teams dangling their high picks and is possibly working a little harder to target one of those.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
lol, a few posts ago you claimed that nobody was saying guarantee him a spot... now you post this...

Well that is much more substantive.

I think I fall in the middle on this one. I think our org has kind of moved on from D & D into becoming a win now to fill seats and always make the playoffs if possible club. I am disappointed we have lost the balancing act a bit. That being said it’s hard to make promises to even a prized prospect for a role when we haven’t seen him in action in the NHL.

Sounds like McG liked Winnipeg, enjoyed the city, seemed to like the club to “but” couldn’t gain alignment on a professional path forward and wants a different fit. On a personal note this bums me out because he was by far my favorite prospect. He seemed like he was going to a tough to play against in the playoffs type but who knows?

Ok Chevy its not like you haven’t been here before, lets see what rabbit you can pull out of the hat for this ever so promising young asset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad