Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah it's kind of the brakes right now. We have limited spots and plenty of competition. It's not like McGroarty is going to be the only prospect pushing for spots this fall. Pefetti is likely going to nab one, Lambert, Chibrikov, heck even Barlow could compete for a spot as well. All of which bring something different to the table.

We don't have a stacked team but it is rather deep and because of that it is going to force some good players out and if they have an ELC its even less in their favour.

But the Jets commitment to the Lowry 2/3 checking line also contributes. It is a barrier to young players. We could go to more of a scoring 4th line but that might weaken an already underperforming PK.

Reactions: Keystone

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't know that he wanted a guaranteed spot a year ago. AFAIK, he didn't want to sign at all at that time.

I think Rutger is a more rounded player and harder to play against. I think that if they had signed him a year ago, after his D+1 year, he would have started in the AHL but finished in the NHL. No way to prove that of course.

My guess is that he could make the Jets out of TC this year. But even if Chevy's guess is the same, you don't go promising anything to a guy who has not played a pro game yet, except to give him a chance.

Yeah I think this is all coming up right now because the Jets have likely been trying to sign him now and burn a year and his reply has been he doesn't see a future with us if he isn't being guaranteed a spot in the top 9.

But the Jets commitment to the Lowry 2/3 checking line also contributes. It is a barrier to young players. We could go to more of a scoring 4th line but that might weaken an already underperforming PK.

Yeah the fact of the matter is our bottom 6 is really designed around tough to play against vets who can PK and the top is is where the offence is. The top 6 allows us to have more of an offensive oriented group there as we don't have anyone in the Kopitar, Barkov, Bergeron mold who can be both a 1C, 1 PK and 1 PP guy.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Depressing news today ... I'm starting to wonder about Chevy now.
The only time he trades is when a player wants out.
He has to start making trades to make the team better screw this loyalty stuff. Poink and Schmidt need to be moved out asap at least one of them and if you have too take a loss ... just do it. Two years in arow early exit because the Jets D got exposed. If Chevy can't sign a top RHD he needs to trade one of his top 6 wingers. Having a top 4 defense allows you to insert rookies more ... right now the Jets only have Morrissey. Top priority has to be a tough top 4 RHD let Demelo walk. I know lots of you like Demelo but the 2 games I saw here against the Canucks he lost a lot of board battles against smaller guys too. To go far into the playoffs you need to board battles something the Jets don't do very well.
Hopefully these rumors are just rumors and Chevy treats us with a nice surprise. Man July 1st can't come soon enough.

So you want to get rid of our entire right side D?

How about keeping DeMelo and just pushing him down to 3rd pair? He can mentor Heinola. Pionk with Snerg on 2nd. Schmidt to Relax Acres Retirement Village.

Ehlers > RHD, Pulock or similar
McGroarty > 2C, Zegras would do.

I would stay away from Zegras ... soft player that's why Verbeek is trading him. Verbeek wants players who play his style ... tough playoff hockey, win board battle, don't be pushed around. Verbeek played 21 seasons 500+ goals almost 3,000 PIM ... he knows what it takes to win he did win a SC.

OK, other then.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Really hope we don't trade Rutger (or Ehlers for that matter)

Where there is smoke there is fire. Both seem to be on the outs. Ehlers isn't interested in an extension and Rutger wants more opportunity. It's not impossible they stay but I'd imagine both will be gone.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I don't know that he wanted a guaranteed spot a year ago. AFAIK, he didn't want to sign at all at that time.

I think Rutger is a more rounded player and harder to play against. I think that if they had signed him a year ago, after his D+1 year, he would have started in the AHL but finished in the NHL. No way to prove that of course.

My guess is that he could make the Jets out of TC this year. But even if Chevy's guess is the same, you don't go promising anything to a guy who has not played a pro game yet, except to give him a chance.
There was a tweet from one of the reporters that said that the divide began when the Rutger wanted a guaranteed spot last year. I took that to mean last season, after his D+1 year

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Disappointing situation around McGroarty, but the organization is correct in not guaranteeing a roster spot to an unproven rookie. Even Kyle Connor was sent to the AHL when he entered the league. He took it in stride and was back pretty quickly.

Let's turn it into a positive and flip him for a guy like Jiricek. That would be a step towards fixing our RHD problem.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I think I blame the org more than McGroaty - after all, other contending teams seem to integrate their youth well. The Jets preach draft and develop, but they can only draft well but develop poorly.

It's a gigantic dysfunctional organization, from the top all the way to the players. Starting to wish the Jets didn't return at all.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think I blame the org more than McGroaty - after all, other contending teams seem to integrate their youth well. The Jets preach draft and develop, but they can only draft well but develop poorly.

It's a gigantic dysfunctional organization, from the top all the way to the players. Starting to wish the Jets didn't return at all.
Idk why anyone would blame Rutger when he hasn't done anything illegal, or beyond the rules. Your second point - just relax a little.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
This off season is turning into one giant downer, no first round, no really good ufa's will come here, might not be able to sign our ufa d men, ehlers might get traded and now turmoil with McG.

Reactions: roccerfeller

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
We just finished a full offseason of life after helle and scheif.... now it's exactly the same conversations about mcgro and ehlers haha
As a Jets fan you expect a Jets player to want to get traded every year..Let's see Dubois for 2 straight years, Wheeler wanted out...Stanley, though he was a pro like Wheeler about it (behind closed doors), Heinola...Laine, Roslovic...Trouba, Kane. Then when somebody stays or signs on he's the target of criticism. It's a rollercoaster.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
At least we have the Bombers :sarcasm:
kanye-west-no.gif

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
So you want to get rid of our entire right side D?

How about keeping DeMelo and just pushing him down to 3rd pair? He can mentor Heinola. Pionk with Snerg on 2nd. Schmidt to Relax Acres Retirement Village.

Ehlers > RHD, Pulock or similar
McGroarty > 2C, Zegras would do.

OK, other then.
If that's what it takes to advance pass the first round yes ... rip off the band aid. Pay top dollar for one good RHD and you can have Morrissey and the new RHD paired off with Samberg and Heinola and the 3rd pairing you use waiver wire or rookies or even Stanley.
I know its easier said than done that's why Chevy will have to over pay for a good RHD.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

It's not really anyones fault per say.

McGroarty wants a guaranteed roster spot as a 20 year old rookie coming in.

The Jets don't want to guarantee a 20 year old rookie anything of the sort.

There is only so much you can do in a situation like this. It's not the first time it's happened in this league and it won't be the last. What are the Jets supposed to do in this situation? Guarantee him a spot and then when things go south and he gets sent down, he's pissed off and asks for a trade anyways?

If that's what it takes to advance pass the first round yes ... rip off the band aid. Pay top dollar for one good RHD and you can have Morrissey and the new RHD paired off with Samberg and Heinola and the 3rd pairing you use waiver wire or rookies or even Stanley.
I know its easier said than done that's why Chevy will have to over pay for a good RHD.

I think any kind of high end RHD ask likely starts with Connor++. And in many cases that still won't be enough.

High end RHD is the rarest position outside of starting goalies in the league. Teams usually aren't all that keen on trading them when they have them.

Reactions: gojetsgo

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
If a player isn't ready for the NHL, having them develop at a lower level isn't making them eat shit sandwiches

Aside from maybe Heinola, how many "top" prospects have been overcooked in the AHL?
Shit sandwiches aren't just limited to getting sent to the AHL. It's more the whole philosophy of making young players pay their dues...whether it's getting jerked around the lineup like Perfetti this season or just having to be accountable on the ice. Guys who accept that without complaint graduate to the Vet level where they never have to worry about eating shit sandwiches again. Guys who don't get sent packing, one way or another...

Reactions: None

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
It's not really anyones fault per say.

McGroarty wants a guaranteed roster spot as a 20 year old rookie coming in.

The Jets don't want to guarantee a 20 year old rookie anything of the sort.

There is only so much you can do in a situation like this. It's not the first time it's happened in this league and it won't be the last. What are the Jets supposed to do in this situation? Guarantee him a spot and then when things go south and he gets sent down, he's pissed off and asks for a trade anyways?

I think any kind of high end RHD ask likely starts with Connor++. And in many cases that still won't be enough.

High end RHD is the rarest position outside of starting goalies in the league. Teams usually aren't all that keen on trading them when they have them.
I agree. Also to your first point, imagine how it would look for Perfetti who has been upbeat and loyal, but struggled to stay in the lineup with a deep roster, then they just hand a spot to a rookie.

No win situation for the Jets.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I agree. Also to your first point, imagine how it would look for Perfetti who has been upbeat and loyal, but struggled to stay in the lineup with a deep roster, then they just hand a spot to a rookie.

No win situation for the Jets.
There is a high high likelihood he could have/would have made the team out of camp with an Ehlers departure.

This sucks, though. We lauded this guy as a potential captain/high character guy and our management drove him away.

Ridiculously bad look that should cost someone their job.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Shit sandwiches aren't just limited to getting sent to the AHL. It's more the whole philosophy of making young players pay their dues...whether it's getting jerked around the lineup like Perfetti this season or just having to be accountable on the ice. Guys who accept that without complaint graduate to the Vet level where they never have to worry about eating shit sandwiches again. Guys who don't get sent packing, one way or another...
So perfetti got fed a shit sandwich?

He went 23 games with one assist of something.

If that was anyone else, they probably get bumped down the line up, too. Or at least I'd understand if they did

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Dallas was mentioned here as an example multiple times during the playoffs about how they put youth into the lineup while contending, but Logan Stankoven and Thomas Harley spent time in the AHL, as did Jason Robertson. McGroarty is apparently unwilling to do maybe 30 or 40 games in the AHL before coming up.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Dallas was mentioned here as an example multiple times during the playoffs about how they put youth into the lineup while contending, but Logan Stankoven and Thomas Harley spent time in the AHL, as did Jason Robertson. McGroarty is apparently unwilling to do maybe 30 or 40 games in the AHL before coming up.
Or this is perhaps completely blown out of proportion

ello

Jun 12, 2018
The organizational obsession of running a third checking line has got to stop. It’s literally gotten us nowhere and forces forward prospects into an awkward top 6 or bust position.

We were literally the most losing team in the West playoffs this year. Lost to Avs who lost to Stars who lost to Oilers. This isn’t working and we’re not even close to winning

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Sens fan here. Wondering what all your thoughts would be regarding a deal around McGroarty for 7th overall. I suspect Ottawa would seek a semi-valuable +, but not necessarily. Ottawa would probably also make Joseph available for the right deal.

I hope this situation turns out well for you. I have a feeling it will, even if its not perfectly ideal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad