Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
But the Jets commitment to the Lowry 2/3 checking line also contributes. It is a barrier to young players. We could go to more of a scoring 4th line but that might weaken an already underperforming PK.
The fourth line plays so little that it hardly matters.

The problem, as illustrated a million times before, is that if McG doesn't get a top 6 spot, the likeliest alternative is to play on the fourth line, which is a death sentence for anyone looking to build their way up the roster. For any top prospect with offensive potential, that should be a total no-go - you don't get the minutes or the linemates you need to maximise your chances of success. It just makes sense to seek for a trade to a team where you have a better role.

Hopefully Arniel starts stirring the pot in that regard, because I have a sneaking suspicion that McG isn't our only high-quality forward prospect who might get annoyed at the lack of opportunity here.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So much for his high “character”

I think his character is fine but this is business and he has leverage. He might be getting bad advice from his agent or maybe this is really good advice from his agent.

I take Roslovic as a different example but still “usage based”, he wanted out of Winnipeg and it was absolutely the right move for him. He moved to a shitty team where there was room to “play now” up the line up and it ended up leading to a huge raise from $1 million a year to a 2 year contract for $8 million ($4 million AAV). Jack realized he was rightfully road blocked in Winnipeg and he made a great career move.

Now Rutger is just at the beginning but like Cutter Gautier they both think they are ready for the NHL this upcoming season and neither one of them is f***ing around. They both had leverage and are playing it. GM’s need to be aware and take stock of the ever changing landscape.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think his character is fine but this is business and he has leverage. He might be getting bad advice from his agent or maybe this is really good advice from his agent.

I take Roslovic as a different example but still “usage based”, he wanted out of Winnipeg and it was absolutely the right move for him. He moved to a shitty team where there was room to “play now” up the line up and it ended up leading to a huge raise from $1 million a year to a 2 year contract for $8 million ($4 million AAV). Jack realized he was rightfully road blocked in Winnipeg and he made a great career move.

Now Rutger is just at the beginning but like Cutter Gautier they both think they are ready for the NHL this upcoming season and neither one of them is f***ing around. They both had leverage and are playing it. GM’s need to be aware and take stock of the ever changing landscape.

This is always going to be the biggest issue with drafting Americans or really anyone that goes the NCAA route. Most of these kids come from privileged backgrounds so money really isn't a pressing need for them as much as making sure they maximize their earnings over their entire career. Sure they may leave some money on the table early by not signing but how much more are they leaving on the table by being roadblocked by a deeper team?

It makes a lot of sense to use the leverage they have to put themselves in the best position they can to do that. That's why the risk to drafting Americans is honestly much higher than any other nationality. Especially when you are a small market Canadian team like we are.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

If your idea of a great career move is playing a lot on a bad team, then sure, but I don’t think the Jets are trying to be more like Columbus.

It’s annoying that the same people who constantly complain about Scheifele allegedly wanting to play with Connor, are now complaining that the Jets won’t allow an unproven prospect to be guaranteed a spot on the roster. Should they guarantee Lambert a spot in the top six also? Why not Chibrikov also? Heck, let’s let every drafted forward go right in the top six.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If your idea of a great career move is playing a lot on a bad team, then sure, but I don’t think the Jets are trying to be more like Columbus.

It’s annoying that the same people who constantly complain about Scheifele allegedly wanting to play with Connor, are now complaining that the Jets won’t allow an unproven prospect to be guaranteed a spot on the roster. Should they guarantee Lambert a spot in the top six also? Why not Chibrikov also? Heck, let’s let every drafted forward go right in the top six.

Are you saying Roslovic didn’t make a great career choice?

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
McGroarty for Jiricek
Ehlers for Savoie

Something around these two deals would be quite a feather in the ole cap for Chevy. I say this every year, and it never is but, should be an interesting week.

I'd imagine we would need a plus coming from our end to get Jiricek. I'd also imagine Ehlers would need to come with an extension.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
McGroarty for Jiricek
Ehlers for Savoie

Something around these two deals would be quite a feather in the ole cap for Chevy. I say this every year, and it never is but, should be an interesting week.
Jiricek could be a good buy low candidate; I’m skeptical of Savoie. I’m not a “size queen” but 5’9 scares me. Knowing this org, they’d bury him so fast.

Other targets using Rutger, Ehlers, MTL’s 2nd, Stanley, Lucius, Rashevsky…
4th overall from CBJ
6th overall from UTA
7th overall from OTT
John Marino, 10th overall from NJD
11th overall from BUF, Kulich

Top 7 could find a player ready by 25/26. I know people will turn their nose up at draft picks, but keep in mind that dollars out the door allow for FA spending too.

I wonder too if there’s an org out there who would take Pionk simply based on minute munching. If we brought in Marino, re-signed DeMelo and let Salomonsson play we could see

Morrissey-Salomonsson
Samberg-Marino
Heinola-DeMelo

Or any configuration thereof. If Salo really isn’t cutting it, you’ve got Schmidt/Stanley as your 7/8.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Saw it on the trade boards but I wonder if Ottawa would be willing to do Chychrun with an extension attached. He's a big bodied solid minute muncher. Can play both sides in a pinch but gives us an anchor for pairing #2. And is a upgrade over Dillon.

It would need to wait until July 1st but if we could add him for 5+ years that would be a pretty solid get.

Morrissey - DeMelo
Chycrun - Pionk
Heinola - X

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I just can't see Rutger returning anywhere around a top 5 pick in this year's draft. He's a mid 1st from 2 years ago, that's refusing to sign with his own team. Not sure how he creeps into the top 5 1st value, when those hardly get moved in the first place.

Teams like njd, OTT, and buf those with closer to mid 1sts are pretty good on fwd already. I don't think them as a good fit.

I'm using the Gauthier /Drysdale+2nd trade as a reference. Essentially the same pick overall (one spot from one another) 2 years removed from each others draft. I'd look at rebuild teams like SJS or CHI that have multiple 1sts, ie: 16th and 18th, atleast in my view, would be closer to that.

He gets to play right away on those teams. He can go enjoy being a bottom feeder for the next few years, instead of on a PO team

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I just can't see Rutger returning anywhere around a top 5 pick in this year's draft. He's a mid 1st from 2 years ago, that's refusing to sign with his own team. Not sure how he creeps into the top 5 1st value, when those hardly get moved in the first place.

Teams like njd, OTT, and buf those with closer to mid 1sts are pretty good on fwd already. I don't think them as a good fit.

I'm using the Gauthier /Drysdale+2nd trade as a reference. Essentially the same pick overall (one spot from one another) 2 years removed from each others draft. I'd look at rebuild teams like SJS or CHI that have multiple 1sts, ie: 16th and 18th, atleast in my view, would be closer to that.

He gets to play right away on those teams. He can go enjoy being a bottom feeder for the next few years, instead of on a PO team

It's a bit of a weird year. We have multiple teams CBJ (4th), NJ (10th) and Buffalo (11th) looking to trade their picks to upgrade their team right now.

McGroarty is significantly more advanced than most of the players those teams will get in the top 11, to the point where he could potentially make any of those teams out of the gate.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
McGroarty for Jiricek
Ehlers for Savoie

Simplify it a bit with a 1 team trade.
McG/Ehlers(re-upped) for
Jiricek/Sillinger

Jiricek has some issues with Columbus last year and they aren’t sure what they have in Cole 2C or 3C.
Ehlers gets to play with his BFF again and maybe help him get back onto his game and McG would instantly be T6 and being some (supposed) character to the team and probably be a leader.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I can’t see top 6 but I could see 10ish. He has progressed nicely and is probably ready to go now. Time will obviously tell but he will carry value, he starts his ELC now, and he carries less risk IMO.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
It's a bit of a weird year. We have multiple teams CBJ (4th), NJ (10th) and Buffalo (11th) looking to trade their picks to upgrade their team right now.

McGroarty is significantly more advanced than most of the players those teams will get in the top 11, to the point where he could potentially make any of those teams out of the gate.
It's not weird at all, same shit gets said every year and barely anyone ever trades out of their top 5ish picks.

NJD and Buffalo have great fwd groups already. There's a possibility he's a 3rd line or worse there, just like here.

Hardly anyone trades out of a top 5 pick and given the circumstances I have a hard time beleive Rutger mcgroarty is the one to do that.

Reactions: voyageur

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It's not weird at all, same shit gets said every year and barely anyone ever trades out of their top 5ish picks.

NJD and Buffalo have great fwd groups already. There's a possibility he's a 3rd line or worse there, just like here.

Hardly anyone trades out of a top 5 pick and given the circumstances I have a hard time beleive Rutger mcgroarty is the one to do that.

Hard to say what kind of leverage Cutter was using. He may have had a specific team in mind. It seems like Rutger just wants more opportunity.

CBJ could do far worse with that 4th overall pick than Rutger.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

D+1 and D+2 count for something and in many eyes Rutger has turned into Captain America and could be the centrepiece of a franchise for the next 10 years. I think he could go for up to a 5th in this draft, ignoring the needs and desires of the teams actually drafting 5-10.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

I don't see a fit with Buffalo for McGroarty, unless it's an expansion of an Ehlers deal. Beyond their forward group, they have a great group of forward prospects in Benson, Savoie, Kulich, Ostlund and Rosen.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
D+1 and D+2 count for something and in many eyes Rutger has turned into Captain America and could be the centrepiece of a franchise for the next 10 years. I think he could go for up to a 5th in this draft, ignoring the needs and desires of the teams actually drafting 5-10.
yeah they count, however if they counted to the point he's considered a top-5 prospect id think the Jets would have found room for him as opposed to telling him he still needs work in the A.

how many times has the upcoming top-5 draft pick been traded the last 10 years (in a non-draft pick swap)? do you think rutger is some unique, indistinguishable talent of a player (or prospect) that bucks that trend? there hasn't been a shortage of fantastic players available....

if what is being said is true - the team should've gifted him a spot or referencing a completely different situation in Nazar & Chicago - maybe "captain america" has gone to his head now he thinks he's beyond the team.

Last edited:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

I think those are two seperate issues. I get there is a theme of "entitlement" and a perceived double standard. But they are different.

If guaranteeing a roster spot to a really good college player is an issue, then why are we even selecting that player? This is a risk with any NCAA player.

And the answer to your question about Lambert and Chibrikov is pretty obvious. No, you don't have to guarantee them anything because they aren't a danger of forcing their way out. They don't have the same leverage.

Reactions: ps241

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I think those are two seperate issues. I get there is a theme of "entitlement" and a perceived double standard. But they are different.

If guaranteeing a roster spot to a really good college player is an issue, then why are we even selecting that player? This is a risk with any NCAA player.

And the answer to your question about Lambert and Chibrikov is pretty obvious. No, you don't have to guarantee them anything because they aren't a danger of forcing their way out. They don't have the same leverage.
idk, we selected connor who had a far better season and he had no problem spending time with the moose

Fire Chevy

Dec 8, 2017
Winnipeg
idk, we selected connor who had a far better season and he had no problem spending time with the moose
Regardless personally I never cared for the pick I’m glad he’s raised his stock value and let’s get a Rhd or C for him and it makes things a lot easier me personally I would like Jiricek or Sillinger type move

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Dreger, the TNSE public relations mouthpiece, has been eerily quiet on the McGroarty news. Not doing any damage control for them (yet).

Dreger is the Jets' mouthpiece, undoubtedly.

But the way our local media suddenly has the scoop, it feels like this is all Rutger's camp applying full court pressure to ultimately get the immediate path to the NHL they seek.

Jet side trying to handle it internally type of deal.

Reactions: drumzan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad