Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
driving the 2nd line is great and all, but imo not expense at the top line being around even or negative. there's also been 2nd line combos w/o ehlers that have been fine ie: iafallo-names-perfetti, or connor-pld-svech/perfetti.

id also say it's not unusual for the 2nd line to be the third-line in TOI as well. if the 2nd line is getting more or equal minutes than the 1st line then ok sure there's a better argument, & i think you'll get achieve better balance.

where is this whole inefficiency when he plays more minutes coming from exactly? if we consider ehlers-scheifele-x line duo as a reference point for him being top line (thus more minutes compared to his usual spot) the stats the last 3 seasons from what i gathered (from natural stat trick)

View attachment 904307

ehlers pts/60 does take a hit w/o scheifele for sure, but he's actually a more efficient scorer playing more minutes & w/ scheifele than not (duhh). a 2.49 pts/60 for reference would have been 24th in the NHL this year for Fwds, & still tops for the Jets. so still extremely good. I would expect there's a drop off playing w/ names, stastny, pld, copp etc. whoever else at 2c, but it's still hovering at elite NHL levels.

if anything, we should be talking how scheifele's efficiency takes a bigger overall hit, not the other way around. why is there such an avoidance on this forum in regards to that? seems like the "top line" talks or threads get hijacked to "oh no ehlers shouldn't be top line" or w/e. Scheifele's drop off in efficiency should be the more highlighted topic for real. (i even bolded and made it yellow).

as for the shifts/toi stuff.... at 5v5 in Dec-2023 ehlers and the Jets were at their best. using natural stat tricks "zone starts" and TOI at 5v5 it's like 2 more shifts (or starts) per game, equating to about 2 mins extra. i have 0 clue if 2 more extrashifts per game is sustainable over 82 gp.
Ehlers Scheifele
Connor

It brings out the best in all 3

Hopefully we do it this year and stick with it

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
For the Jets as far as I know there are tickets available for every single game this season, as I was scrolling through mini packs last night. I can't imagine that trading Ehlers for futures would help in that regard, so True North might want to keep the star power they have and hope it puts more fans in seats.

I wonder if this team bottoms out if there isn't sub 10 000 numbers in a rebuild and red flags raised.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
For the Jets as far as I know there are tickets available for every single game this season, as I was scrolling through mini packs last night. I can't imagine that trading Ehlers for futures would help in that regard, so True North might want to keep the star power they have and hope it puts more fans in seats.

I wonder if this team bottoms out if there isn't sub 10 000 numbers in a rebuild and red flags raised.
Everyone wants a rebuild when they don't understand what a rebuild is. Jets just finished 4th. It's not even a conversation.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Zero chance of any rebuild, not a chance. I don't doubt they will slip a bit in the standing this year due to 2-3 rookies perhaps breaking into the line up but thats no rebuild.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Everyone wants a rebuild when they don't understand what a rebuild is. Jets just finished 4th. It's not even a conversation.
6 players are UFAs at the end of this season. Including depth players there are a quite a few more. 6 more are UFAs the following season. So I think that's more than half the team who's future is uncertain. If the team wins I think there is a good chance at re-signing half of them. If the team loses and only inks a few, and especially loses or faces losing Ehlers, Connor, Lowry and Samberg for nothing and decides to move them for assets, I'd consider that a rebuild, more than a retool, given the time it would take to replace them. I guess there is a discrepancy in those two words though.

I don't want a rebuild. But I don't want to see Chevy trade picks to fill holes and get stuck in the rut when developing a pipeline of prospects.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
6 players are UFAs at the end of this season. Including depth players there are a quite a few more. 6 more are UFAs the following season. So I think that's more than half the team who's future is uncertain. If the team wins I think there is a good chance at re-signing half of them. If the team loses and only inks a few, and especially loses or faces losing Ehlers, Connor, Lowry and Samberg for nothing and decides to move them for assets, I'd consider that a rebuild, more than a retool, given the time it would take to replace them. I guess there is a discrepancy in those two words though.

I don't want a rebuild. But I don't want to see Chevy trade picks to fill holes and get stuck in the rut when developing a pipeline of prospects.
Your use of the word 6 definitely is more dramatic than reality. 6 is also no where near half the team. It's actually 7 including Kahkonen who is as useful as AJF.

Is there anyone other than Ehlers you are even slightly concerned about losing?

Iafallo- useful but overpaid.

Pionk- pretty expensive for what he does. I'm pretty high on Salomonsson at the moment so I'm not too worried about pionk.

Between those two I'm most excited about the cap savings even as hard as it is for the Jets to spend money at times.

Appleton? Namestnikov? AJF? Seem all replaceable when we have Lambert Chibrikov, Barlow and Yager for prospects who at least one or two should (dear Lawd I hope) deserve a spot or a UFA with the cap savings of Iafallo, Pionk, Wheeler off the cap, less Schmitt on the cap.

Other than Ehlers, I only see positive things with those players leaving or re signing to their actual worth. Even with Ehlers, we have seen Chevy pull rabbits out of his hat before.

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
First I didn't count AJF as one of the 6, but as a depth player in the same role as Toninato.

Second you have to tie this year to next. A losing season where the Jets trade off those players listed and try to replace them internally is also met with a season in which you have 3 important players heading to UFA, and more key role players like Barron headed that way. How does management deal with them? How much of an impact is this season going to have on their future? For Connor and Lowry the chance to win is getting slimmer, with more than half their career gone. Role players on these boards have no value, but the Jets missed the playoffs the year they let Appleton go to the expansion draft, one of Big Adam's worst years as a Jet.

Pionk here gets shit on, I have come to accept it, but I think fans are smoking the good shit if they think that Salomonsson is going to step in and be an every day 20 + minute positive NHL player in a year. That's Josh Morrissey good. Dylan Samberg took how long to get there going through a route that was easier to graduate to the NHL from, the college route? Samberg is the most interesting one to me. You'd hope he signs long term...but the Jets are built like a family, if you toss out the family guys like Apples and Pionk because they have no value to fans, does he still want to be here?

There seems to be very few people who actually followed the Moose last year. They were essentially the worst team in the AHL until Milic stepped up, and Kristian Reichel took over at C, and had a terrific season. So for all the praise we give our prospects, for much of last season they could not compete against any other prospect pools in the league. That should be disconcerting, but it doesn't seem to be. Now injuries to Heinola and Lucius didn't help at all but that's the name of the game.

We can agree to disagree on this one, I don't want to go down the rabbit hole here, because I'd like to think the Jets are a playoff team this season, and winning is what keeps players happy.

Last edited:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Your use of the word 6 definitely is more dramatic than reality. 6 is also no where near half the team. It's actually 7 including Kahkonen who is as useful as AJF.

Pionk- pretty expensive for what he does. I'm pretty high on Salomonsson at the moment so I'm not too worried about pionk.

Between those two I'm most excited about the cap savings even as hard as it is for the Jets to spend money at times.

Appleton? Namestnikov? AJF? Seem all replaceable when we have Lambert Chibrikov, Barlow and Yager for prospects who at least one or two should (dear Lawd I hope) deserve a spot or a UFA with the cap savings of Iafallo, Pionk, Wheeler off the cap, less Schmitt on the cap.

Other than Ehlers, I only see positive things with those players leaving or re signing to their actual worth. Even with Ehlers, we have seen Chevy pull rabbits out of his hat before.
I think Ehlers is the one of the group that you want to keep for sure

Names is a great Swiss army knife type that you hope you can keep around for cheap

Pionk had been bad the past couple of seasons but without him, Demelo is the only RHD we have (Salo arriving shortly, and Coughlan notwithstanding)

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
You can argue with the American Journal of Sports Medicine all you want. I seriously doubt we hear about every single nagging injury players are left with after each major injury. Or if he was part of the minority of players who did have lingering issues from whatever you looked up.

I never said they weren't different injuries. You seem to be stuck on this for a few posts. First not knowing that he even had a Sports hernia. Then ignoring the probability that its likely that it effected him for longer than his return to the ice. Much like he was still suffring from his disc hernia. All I said they both most likely contribute to him not being 100% for the past two years and a simple explanation for his TOI and usage.

This seems far more likely that " coach is dumb, I'm so smart" narrative that is rampant on this board.
Mort just Morting 😂

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
I think Ehlers is the one of the group that you want to keep for sure

Names is a great Swiss army knife type that you hope you can keep around for cheap

Pionk had been bad the past couple of seasons but without him, Demelo is the only RHD we have (Salo arriving shortly, and Coughlan notwithstanding)
I have a lot of respect for what Names has given us as well as resigning at a reasonable price. I hope that continues.

Pionk at his current price is untenable. The Jets need to trick someone better to be the 2RD for $6m. Or pay Pionk what he is worth.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021

Namestnikov I sure wouldn’t mind keeping. He’s a very smart/useful utility player and not over paid a bunch so shouldn’t out price himself even with a moderate salary increase.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
All I said they both most likely contribute to him not being 100% for the past two years and a simple explanation for his TOI and usage.

This seems far more likely that " coach is dumb, I'm so smart" narrative that is rampant on this board.

Very interesting that "these injuries were an issue" to start the season when he was getting bad TOI and usage, but all of a sudden as soon as Connor got injured, these injuries and niggles suddenly disappeared and he started playing top line 19+ mins a night. Even more interesting that as soon as Connor returned from his injury, "these injuries were an issue" for Ehlers again and his icetime became limited.

Interesting how these injuries seem to aware of Kyle Connor's health and conveniently only seem to flare up when Connor is in the lineup. Very considerate of them. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Mathil8 and Bigfish

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Zero chance of any rebuild, not a chance. I don't doubt they will slip a bit in the standing this year due to 2-3 rookies perhaps breaking into the line up but thats no rebuild.
No one rebuilds after signing their two franchise players to legacy contracts... we are headed to a rebuild in 3-4 years because of average drafting and some suspect TD moves... but we can deal with that when it gets here

Reactions: jiho and Bigfish

Whis

Jul 1, 2016
We will be forced into a rebuild in 3-4 years if most of our top prospects don't hit. If some hit, we should be in fine. We have depth in our prospects which should help with the hit rate (even though they aren't the high end guys).

Ehlers has always complained about how cold Winnipeg is. Hopefully he is willing to stay because we need his high end skill and skating, and he should age decently. But who knows if he's already looking south.

Reactions: hn777 and Flair Hay

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Very interesting that "these injuries were an issue" to start the season when he was getting bad TOI and usage, but all of a sudden as soon as Connor got injured, these injuries and niggles suddenly disappeared and he started playing top line 19+ mins a night. Even more interesting that as soon as Connor returned from his injury, "these injuries were an issue" for Ehlers again and his icetime became limited.

Interesting how these injuries seem to aware of Kyle Connor's health and conveniently only seem to flare up when Connor is in the lineup. Very considerate of them. :sarcasm:
Remember when Bones took Ehlers off that top line after they went cold for a few games and you had a shitfit?

Maybe it's because he wasn't able to handle those minutes with his neck injury

Reactions: TS Quint

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Yeah if anything last year showed there are some glimmers of hope to becoming a real high end contender again. Despite the poor showing in the playoffs.

The team has gone from one of the worst defensively In the NHL to, at worst, middle of the pack with largely the same group.

Reactions: TS Quint

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
If you want to know how a prototypical male Manitoban looks like, look no further then Seth Jarvis.
IMG_7896.jpeg

Last edited:

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012

I don't know what you are talking about. Didn't Ehlers say he was managing pain from the start of the season?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
We will be forced into a rebuild in 3-4 years if most of our top prospects don't hit. If some hit, we should be in fine. We have depth in our prospects which should help with the hit rate (even though they aren't the high end guys).

Ehlers has always complained about how cold Winnipeg is. Hopefully he is willing to stay because we need his high end skill and skating, and he should age decently. But who knows if he's already looking south.
as long as helle is playing way above league average this team IMO isn't thinking at all about rebuilding. & he's good enough to keep this team from bottoming out an entire year.

consistent year-to-year goaltending is hard to come by, and once you have it you likely aren't going to tear the team down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad