Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Wonder if we could parlay Rutger into Brady Tkachuk if he is available from Ottawa. Would probably have to make some other big adds to the offer but Tkachuk is exactly the kind of player we need and Rutgers ceiling anyway

Reactions: Pongs21

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Just to have a look at whats available.

Anaheim - Has been dangling Zegras out there for awhile. Young but perhaps underpreforming LW/C that could be a solid piece if he puts it together.

Buffalo - Has been dangling 11th overall for awhile now. I'd hope for a little more on that return honestly. If the pick is outside the top 10, I'd want some additional assets.

Carolina - Necas is available but I don't think Carolina has any interest in moving him for a prospect.

Columbus - The 4th overall pick or Jiricek are the two biggest pieces out there. Columbus seems like a good fit for the kid as well. they have been dangling 4th overall for a bit now.

Montreal - Not sure if 5th overall is available. Perhaps a bigger trade involving Ehlers could be made here.

New Jersey - They have dangled 10th overall out there.

Utah - 6th overall is interesting. I think Utah may want to try and speed things along and get competing soon and Rutger ups the timeline on 6th overall.

I think those are likely our biggest trade partners here with some draft capital they want to spend and some interesting prospects/players.

Wonder if we could parlay Rutger into Brady Tkachuk if he is available from Ottawa. Would probably have to make some other big adds to the offer but Tkachuk is exactly the kind of player we need and Rutgers ceiling anyway

I have a feeling that Tkachuk is not on the table in any way shape or form unless a massive overpayment comes Ottawa's way.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Wonder if we can pull off a bigger move here?

He wants to go to a team that has some open spots so likely a non-playoff team. Wonder if Anaheim would entertain something around Zegras maybe?

That has a certain ring to it. Ducks have been rumoured to be wanting to move on from Zegras for quite a while. They have top 6 C covered with Carlson and McTavish.

Why do you call that a bigger move?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Well at least Heinola and Stanley's agents haven't put in trade fodder on the market yet. So Chevy only has to put out one fire at a time. 2022 was a relatively strong draft for the Jets. 2 players with A experience already. Another one on the way. I'd say Diventis probably starts in the ECHL. I'm sure if we are hearing about trade candidates from the Jets it's not the organization leaking them.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Any time there's a "disgruntled" player teams are always looking to swoop in on the cheap.

This is nothing new.

I highly doubt Chevy is rushing to get something done, personally. I just think there's going to be offers flying around that involve draft capital. If that's what the Jets feel is the best package, why wait?

Nothing wrong with moving quickly - if it is the right offer. But the earliest offers will be the ones trying to steal him.

Reactions: roccerfeller

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That has a certain ring to it. Ducks have been rumoured to be wanting to move on from Zegras for quite a while. They have top 6 C covered with Carlson and McTavish.

Why do you call that a bigger move?

I'm not entirely sure McG is enough to get them to make that move and we don't have a tonne of draft capital.

Perhaps there is some additional assets they would want, perhaps Ehlers makes some sense here. They also have pick 30/31 depending on how things go Monday,

Maybe something like...

To WPG:
Trevor Zegras
30th/31st overall in 2024
35th Overall in 2024

To ANA:
Nik Ehlers
Rutger McGroarty

We could also target someone like Tristen Luneau.

To WPG:
Trevor Zegras
Tristen Luneau

To ANA:
Nik Ehlers
Rutger McGroarty

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If Mason Appleton is holding prospects back wtf are we even doing?

I think the Jets really only have room in the top 6 for prospects.

Lowry is locked in as our shutdown center, so anyone that plays with him has to be able to play those grindy tough minutes, which isn't well suited for most rookies. They also likely need to be a major penalty killer, again another thing not well suited for rookies.

If we are gonna play a rookie on the 4th line, then they are probably better served getting top 6 minutes in the AHL. 4th line also seems reserved for penalty killers so it's another vet spot.

So it's basically top 6 or bust. But historically our coaching has always been more tilted to vets in the top 6. Maybe Arniel is different but I doubt it.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not entirely sure McG is enough to get them to make that move and we don't have a tonne of draft capital.

Perhaps there is some additional assets they would want, perhaps Ehlers makes some sense here. They also have pick 30/31 depending on how things go Monday,

Maybe something like...

To WPG:
Trevor Zegras
35th Overall in 2024

To ANA:
Nik Ehlers
Rutger McGroarty

To WPG:
Trevor Zegras
Tristen Luneau

To ANA:
Nik Ehlers
Rutger McGroarty

I'm a little torn on the value of Zegras. He started out great but hit a snag last year. Maybe it was due to injury but I am a little suspicious of Ducks desire to move him. It didn't seem to be about them using him as a trade chip to improve somewhere else. It was more like them wanting to move him for whatever is the best they can get for him. From this distance it looks like a 1 for 1 to me, or very close to it.

I wouldn't expect Ducks to want 2 wingers. But who knows?

I like the Luneau idea but if it is both McG and Ehlers, I would need more.

Reactions: FlappyGiraffe

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'm a little torn on the value of Zegras. He started out great but hit a snag last year. Maybe it was due to injury but I am a little suspicious of Ducks desire to move him. It didn't seem to be about them using him as a trade chip to improve somewhere else. It was more like them wanting to move him for whatever is the best they can get for him. From this distance it looks like a 1 for 1 to me, or very close to it.

McGroarty would fit right in with the Ducks new core, they'd be super tough to play against once they hit their mid 20s.

Rutger is a better fit than flashy zegras for what they're building.

Gauthier - Carlsson - xxx
McGroarty - McTavish - xxx

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Here's a bit of perspective, considering the factt hat the disconnect between Rutger and The Jets seems to be that they wouldn't guarantee him a spot last season (after his D+1 year in college)

He was a PPG player in his D+1 year and wanted a guaranteed spot in the NHL

Kyle Connor was 1.86 PPG in his D+1 year at the same school and put up 0.25 PPG in the NHL in his D+2 year in the NHL and spent 52 games on the Moose that season

Clearly different players but that stark contrast in production in their D+1 year should show how unready Rutger was for the NHL in his D+2 year (where he wanted a guaranteed spot)

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Maybe something like...

To WPG:
Trevor Zegras
35th Overall in 2024

To ANA:
Nik Ehlers
Rutger McGroarty

To WPG:
Trevor Zegras
Tristen Luneau

To ANA:
Nik Ehlers
Rutger McGroarty
These are terrible trades

Reactions: Huffer

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
This has me extremely disappointed. To put it mildly. But it is his right to choose not to sign here. If that is his choice, trade him for the best possible return and forget him.

This is ultimately where I land, but I can't help but see this as a continuation of recent gaffes of talent homegrown by a team that can ill afford to waste homegrown talent. The last 1st rounder to have a significant impact with the Jets was KC. Every one else has either been traded, is still developing, or bust. Laine, Roslovic, Vesalainen, Stanley, Heinola, McGroarty, Lucius, Lambert, Barlow. Not a single breaker amongst them - not one impact. How much of that is draft, and how much is develop? It's f***ing frustrating that a team that isn't good enough to contend has to continually roll out vets that aren't good enough, instead of supplementing them with youth.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I think the Jets really only have room in the top 6 for prospects.

Lowry is locked in as our shutdown center, so anyone that plays with him has to be able to play those grindy tough minutes, which isn't well suited for most rookies. They also likely need to be a major penalty killer, again another thing not well suited for rookies.

If we are gonna play a rookie on the 4th line, then they are probably better served getting top 6 minutes in the AHL. 4th line also seems reserved for penalty killers so it's another vet spot.

So it's basically top 6 or bust. But historically our coaching has always been more tilted to vets in the top 6. Maybe Arniel is different but I doubt it.

So basically what you're saying is run, Rutger, run :laugh:.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
This is ultimately where I land, but I can't help but see this as a continuation of recent gaffes of talent homegrown by a team that can ill afford to waste homegrown talent. The last 1st rounder to have a significant impact with the Jets was KC. Every one else has either been traded, is still developing, or bust. Laine, Roslovic, Vesalainen, Stanley, Heinola, McGroarty, Lucius, Lambert, Barlow. Not a single breaker amongst them - not one impact. How much of that is draft, and how much is develop? It's f***ing frustrating that a team that isn't good enough to contend has to continually roll out vets that aren't good enough, instead of supplementing them with youth.
The more recent 1st rounders not making the same impact as the earlier ones is also an unfortunate byproduct of Chevy doing a good job with the earlier picks and the team being more successful because of them

A pick in the 5-15 range (Schief, Trouba, Jomo, Ehlers, Connor) has a much higher chance of becoming an impact player than than someone in the 20-30 range.

At 32OA, a player has a 50% chance of playing 100 NHL games

Reactions: Jets 31

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
So basically what you're saying is run Rutger, run :laugh:.

Yeah it's kind of the brakes right now. We have limited spots and plenty of competition. It's not like McGroarty is going to be the only prospect pushing for spots this fall. Pefetti is likely going to nab one, Lambert, Chibrikov, heck even Barlow could compete for a spot as well. All of which bring something different to the table.

We don't have a stacked team but it is rather deep and because of that it is going to force some good players out and if they have an ELC its even less in their favour.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Depressing news today ... I'm starting to wonder about Chevy now.
The only time he trades is when a player wants out.
He has to start making trades to make the team better screw this loyalty stuff. Poink and Schmidt need to be moved out asap at least one of them and if you have too take a loss ... just do it. Two years in arow early exit because the Jets D got exposed. If Chevy can't sign a top RHD he needs to trade one of his top 6 wingers. Having a top 4 defense allows you to insert rookies more ... right now the Jets only have Morrissey. Top priority has to be a tough top 4 RHD let Demelo walk. I know lots of you like Demelo but the 2 games I saw here against the Canucks he lost a lot of board battles against smaller guys too. To go far into the playoffs you need to board battles something the Jets don't do very well.
Hopefully these rumors are just rumors and Chevy treats us with a nice surprise. Man July 1st can't come soon enough.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Depressing news today ... I'm starting to wonder about Chevy now.
The only time he trades is when a player wants out.
He has to start making trades to make the team better screw this loyalty stuff. Poink and Schmidt need to be moved out asap at least one of them and if you have too take a loss ... just do it. Two years in arow early exit because the Jets D got exposed. If Chevy can't sign a top RHD he needs to trade one of his top 6 wingers. Having a top 4 defense allows you to insert rookies more ... right now the Jets only have Morrissey. Top priority has to be a tough top 4 RHD let Demelo walk. I know lots of you like Demelo but the 2 games I saw here against the Canucks he lost a lot of board battles against smaller guys too. To go far into the playoffs you need to board battles something the Jets don't do very well.
Hopefully these rumors are just rumors and Chevy treats us with a nice surprise. Man July 1st can't come soon enough.

I think all of that is easier said than done.

If we trade Pionk, Schmidt and let DeMelo walk we are a significantly worse team without better replacements and a top 6 winger whose name isn't Kyle Connor is unlikely to return a top 4 RHD better than any of them.

We are not likely to be a top destination for any high end UFA's on the market, especially RHD, which every team on the block is currently after. RHD have their pick of the pot right now.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Here's a bit of perspective, considering the factt hat the disconnect between Rutger and The Jets seems to be that they wouldn't guarantee him a spot last season (after his D+1 year in college)

He was a PPG player in his D+1 year and wanted a guaranteed spot in the NHL

Kyle Connor was 1.86 PPG in his D+1 year at the same school and put up 0.25 PPG in the NHL in his D+2 year in the NHL and spent 52 games on the Moose that season

Clearly different players but that stark contrast in production in their D+1 year should show how unready Rutger was for the NHL in his D+2 year (where he wanted a guaranteed spot)

I don't know that he wanted a guaranteed spot a year ago. AFAIK, he didn't want to sign at all at that time.

I think Rutger is a more rounded player and harder to play against. I think that if they had signed him a year ago, after his D+1 year, he would have started in the AHL but finished in the NHL. No way to prove that of course.

My guess is that he could make the Jets out of TC this year. But even if Chevy's guess is the same, you don't go promising anything to a guy who has not played a pro game yet, except to give him a chance.

Reactions: Thechozen1

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast

I would stay away from Zegras ... soft player that's why Verbeek is trading him. Verbeek wants players who play his style ... tough playoff hockey, win board battle, don't be pushed around. Verbeek played 21 seasons 500+ goals almost 3,000 PIM ... he knows what it takes to win he did win a SC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad