Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
Coming in peace...What if Habs gave you back the 26th OA? Could add Barron to complete the family
Sorry guys, didn't mean to post on your page but he is exactly the type of player Montreal needs.
I think Mailloux as suggested would be possible too but not in combination with a first round pick.

Reactions: trebendan

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
Gotta think the price on McGroarty is high.
-maybe a top 15 pick for this week
-maybe a young RD player or prospect
-maybe a young C player or prospect

Anything else seems like a no-go.

With that being said, the Jets LW depth is bonkers and McGroarty might be among the most valuable of those LWs on the trade market.

It would have to be a king’s ransom. He is the top prospect in our organization, and frankly the prospect that fan base is most excited about - and I would say he’s the prospect that the fan base has been most excited about in a long, long time here. Tough situation for Chevy if he knows he won’t sign here. That being said, we have 2 years’ of control on his signing rights and if another team won’t pay the king’s ransom, Chevy will wait. I for one would be disappointed with trading McG for a top 15 pick in this year’s draft, unless it was combined with other pieces.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Coming in peace...What if Habs gave you back the 26th OA? Could add Barron to complete the family
Sorry guys, didn't mean to post on your page but he is exactly the type of player Montreal needs.
I think Mailloux as suggested would be possible too but not in combination with a first round pick.
1st+ for ehlers probably roughly around what he's worth. however, the Jets strike me as a compete now team and not sure if they let him go picks/prospects.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
Has any team that has committed to the long term tank NOT "botched it"?

I guess Edmonton can do it if they put together a couple of more wins but even then, it's been way harder than it should have been considering how many top picks they've had

Agreed, the full “tank” model is not worth the risk / reward these days. Lots of parity in the league with the salary cap and available talent. Good thing for the league in my view. Too many teams have tried and failed it (or were terrible for 5 years only to become a bubble playoff team / early round knockout team) for it to be worth the bad years.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
It would have to be a king’s ransom. He is the top prospect in our organization, and frankly the prospect that fan base is most excited about - and I would say he’s the prospect that the fan base has been most excited about in a long, long time here. Tough situation for Chevy if he knows he won’t sign here. That being said, we have 2 years’ of control on his signing rights and if another team won’t pay the king’s ransom, Chevy will wait. I for one would be disappointed with trading McG for a top 15 pick in this year’s draft, unless it was combined with other pieces.
Yes but when he drafted McGroarty, Chevy didn't know he would draft another similar player in Barlow. He also didn't know that Chibrikov would prove himself worthy with the Moose. He also didn't know that Perfetti would be used in the NHL as a LW.

Jets can't use all their LWs at LW. Either start trading some or start losing some.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
Jets would have the highest cap space of any team in the league nearly every year.

The Jets would actually have a significant advantage with that type of model lol, at the end of the day extra cap space to use in this league would be a big deal - money talks in the world of professional sports, whether we like it or not. Can’t see the league adopting that type of model

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Yes but when he drafted McGroarty, Chevy didn't know he would draft another similar player in Barlow. He also didn't know that Chibrikov would prove himself worthy with the Moose. He also didn't know that Perfetti would be used in the NHL as a LW.

Jets can't use all their LWs at LW. Either start trading some or start losing some.
I don't see much similarity in Barlow and McGroarty. Not even sure McGroarty will stay at wing this year.

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
I find it hard to believe this is because of a jam at left wing. The tea leaves for me say he doesn't want to sign here. Add in the fact that the jig would be up in a couple weeks anyway because he would probably no show development camp and I have to believe he doesn't want to be a jet.

Jets fandom always feels like we are just playing in a different league compared to everybody else.

Reactions: kenobiwan

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016

While I understand your thought process, the only player you mentioned that actually has proven he can play top-6 in the NHL thus far is Perfetti. The verdict is still out on the rest (including McG, but McG currently has the best potential to make it and has the higher ceiling).

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

For McGroarty? Absolutely not. I'd think Mailloux is a non-starter too from TNSE just for PR reasons, doesn't seem like the type they'd want to employ, especially given Chevy's link to the Chicago scandal.

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
To me, "included in trade talks" means that chevy may be working something bigger and teams are asking for Rutger as an add-on piece

In terms of "teams discussing acquiring his rights", to me that means that him returning to Michigan raised some eyebrows and GMs called to see if there's an unwillingness to sign

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
From McIntyre on illegal curve: sounds like there problems between the Jets and Mcgroarty. references on outlook mcgroartys career, says there's fractures, friction between the two.

Drew asks where the problems stem from:
McIntyre says the Jets didn't want to gift him a spot on the team last season. Jets are in a different spot compared to Chicago and Nazar (or CBJ and Brindley). Also says perhaps how he saw there's no spot for Perfetti that there may not be one for him.

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
According to Friedman (his latest podcast). McGroarty is in rumors.
That would be a great fit for the Habs.
Of course IF he wanted to not sign in Winnipeg he wont sign in Montreal either.

But as a great fit, what would Montreal offer in return? Think Drysdale+2nd for Cutter Gauthier ie an impactful young player - so Guhle would be in the mix, Reinbacher, Beck+Jets 1st...

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
The Jeff Hamilton conversation about Rutger McGroarty on WST was the Apr 15, 2024 episode. Fast forward to 1h20m.

Yes and that was the exact concern that was discussed when he announced he was going back to college. Was all the talk about his excitement for being a Jet just talk? Of course in a follow up article Murat Ates wrote,

"Recent Jets draft picks to sign after their third college season include defensemen Dylan Samberg and Tucker Poolman. Expect this situation to follow that same trajectory; McGroarty is all-in on his development and his ultimate goal is a roster spot on the Jets."

But it is starting to be a thing...

Cutter Gauthier effed Philly.

Snuggerruud is rumoured to be on the block in St Louis.

Logan Cooley changed his mind in July and signed.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
IF it is true that McGroarty did sour on this team because there isn’t a spot for him, then True North needs to take a step back and evaluate what they’re doing here. There’s no way a “draft and develop” team should lose their top prospect because he feels there isn’t a spot for him here.

Again, IF all this speculation is true … we really don’t know.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Drew asks where the problems stem from:
McIntyre says the Jets didn't want to gift him a spot on the team last season. Jets are in a different spot compared to Chicago and Nazar (or CBJ and Brindley). Also says perhaps how he saw there's no spot for Perfetti that there may not be one for him.
Man, the entitlement of these kids these days (if true)

IF it is true that McGroarty did sour on this team because there isn’t a spot for him, then True North needs to take a step back and evaluate what they’re doing here. There’s no way a “draft and develop” team should lose their top prospect because he feels there isn’t a spot for him here.

"Draft and develop" is one thing

"Draft and gift spots to entitled kids who aren't pro-ready" is another

You can't skip the "develop" part of "draft and develop"

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

He is exactly the type of player every team in the league needs. If he is available, a lot of teams will be in on the bidding. The price will be high.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011

Agreed. The fans especially have worried about the Jets handling of young prospects for a while (the media mostly brushed it off). Where there is smoke...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad