Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Getting back a bona fide 1LHD that plays PP and PK for one year of Ehlers, Heinola that needs to play and won't behind JMO, Chabot and Sammy and Lucius. It seems he will always be hurt? I like him as a player but can he stay healthy?
Having two 1LHDs along with DD and Sammy makes for a nice D core for the next 4 or so years.
I agree with your argument but I don’t think Ottawa retains. Any deal wlll be for the full salary and cap hit. With the cap going up as much as it is gives teams more wiggle room. I think loading up on the backend would be a good strategy by Chevy.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
To get full value for Ehlers, I think he has to be moved somewhere where he will be willing to extend.

Maybe LA is looking to move Kuemper to a team like Buffalo?

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
No Trade / No Movement Clauses were negotiated into the CBA and that's a hill the NHLPA will surely die on. I don't ever see that coming out unless something sweeter is coming back to the players / NHLPA.

And really, it's on the GM that agreed to that no trade clause for a marginal player like Mikheyev.

Yeh the NHL would have to give something back. Those clauses are going nowhere.

Well... NHL can always lock the players out. I'd support an entire season of NHL shutdown or even more if it meant getting rid of NTC/NMCs.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Well... NHL can always lock the players out. I'd support an entire season of NHL shutdown or even more if it meant getting rid of NTC/NMCs.
But why would they? It’s an issue that affects the cities players don’t want to go which is pretty much 2/3 of canada and a few spots in the US.

I agree NHL can lock out but this is not something they care enough about to do so. We do, but the NHL doesn’t.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

You’re only saying that for selfish reasons so Winnipeg can get on a more level playing field. The league will never go that far at this point. They’re expanding and bringing in more money than ever. Best we can hope for are some tweaks.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It is a non issue to the NHL and most of its teams, so why would they go to war with their players and lose a season just when they have finally recovered from the COVID years? Do you think this issue is worth billions in lost revenue for the NHL?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Hey, they just opened a Krispy Kreme here and Arby's is not far behind. NHL players will jump at a chance to come to Winnipeg now...:sarcasm:

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
It is a non issue to the NHL and most of its teams, so why would they go to war with their players and lose a season just when they have finally recovered from the COVID years? Do you think this issue is worth billions in lost revenue for the NHL?
It is a competitive balance issue that they could deal with by adjusting the upper limit of the team cap based on how many partial NTCs you were listed on. There are ways to address it without significantly affecting the players.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It is a competitive balance issue that they could deal with by adjusting the upper limit of the team cap based on how many partial NTCs you were listed on. There are ways to address it without significantly affecting the players.

Jets would have the highest cap space of any team in the league nearly every year.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Absolutely. It could just range +/- $1-2m. But it would be an acknowledgement that we are impaired by these player perks.

I can't see the NHL really caring that smaller markets are at a disadvantage though. They haven't cared up until now and likely won't care going forwards.

If anything they would like to increase the chances that larger markets have better teams. When larger markets are better it leads to more money, more viewers and more overall league success. It's the sad truth.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I can't see the NHL really caring that smaller markets are at a disadvantage though. They haven't cared up until now and likely won't care going forwards.

If anything they would like to increase the chances that larger markets have better teams. When larger markets are better it leads to more money, more viewers and more overall league success. It's the sad truth.
Probably not. And I can't see Chipman crying foul over it either.

There's probably a corollary argument that we are able to extend players on cheaper deals here because they have slightly surpressed market valuations playing in obscurity.

Reactions: Daximus

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
And professional sports teams are noted for giving up their competitive advantage over their competition.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Probably not. And I can't see Chipman crying foul over it either.

There's probably a corollary argument that we are able to extend players on cheaper deals here because they have slightly surpressed market valuations playing in obscurity.

Yeah we generally have gotten under market value for most of our guys. Hard to tell if that is Chevy being a solid negotiator or suppressed market valuations. Could be a combination of both.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Buffalo Sabres general manager Kevyn Adams has let his peers know he's open for business ahead of the June 28 draft.

"I've told every team in the league that we are wide-open to considering moving pick 11," Adams said, according to NHL.com's Adam Kimelman. "We're wide-open to consider anything, to be honest, prospects if we think it's going to help our team."

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Never saw this idea before. Kudos. I like it.

Another idea: compensatory draft picks like the NFL does for teams that lose players in free agency. Add extra picks at the end of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th round as needed.

I agree neither of these things will happen, but at least they are solutions that don't cost the players anything & won't hold up a CBA. In fact, more money & draft picks in the system are benefits to players.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Buffalo Sabres general manager Kevyn Adams has let his peers know he's open for business ahead of the June 28 draft.

"I've told every team in the league that we are wide-open to considering moving pick 11," Adams said, according to NHL.com's Adam Kimelman. "We're wide-open to consider anything, to be honest, prospects if we think it's going to help our team."
So, Buffalo has finally figured out that tanking then trying to draft your way out of sucking isn't a guaranteed path to contention

Reactions: hn777

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Ehlers trade talk

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Never saw this idea before. Kudos. I like it.

Another idea: compensatory draft picks like the NFL does for teams that lose players in free agency. Add extra picks at the end of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th round as needed.

I agree neither of these things will happen, but at least they are solutions that don't cost the players anything & won't hold up a CBA. In fact, more money & draft picks in the system are benefits to players.

I think if they do decide to cut the draft down to 4 rounds then this is a solid option. Add a compensatory pick in the next draft depending on the value of the contract signed. This gives team that lose UFA's an additional asset they can use to trade/draft with. But perhaps they would need to offer their UFA a similar contract in order for it to happen so as to keep things fair.

If the UFA agrees to a contract from a team in free agency their former team must offer the same contract and terms to said UFA, if the contract is rejected a compensatory pick is awarded. This way if the player in question actually wanted to sign with their former team but all they wanted was a pick in instead then it rules that out as well.

You could kind of structure it around the RFA compensation awards.

Under $5mil is a 4th round pick,
$5-7mil is a 3rd round pick
$7-9mil is a 2nd round pick.
$9+m is a 1st round pick

Ehlers trade talk

Only thing of any real value there is the Owen Beck. Struble is okay as well.

We'd be better off just getting Necas straight up.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
those are f***ing terrible
Only thing of any real value there is the Owen Beck. Struble is okay as well.

We'd be better off just getting Necas straight up.
Utah trade is a cap move IMO, if we want to save the cap and spend it else where. Also picks are just trade capital. Also allows for internal growth from our prospects. If forced to pick one of the two trades I would pick the Utah trade bc the Habs trade is a bunch of meh (lower value guys and one big negative value guy) and no real cap advantage.

Habs trade: Anderson is negative value (he's freaking terrible last year), Struble looks like he could be a solid bottom pairing defensive D (not much value in them) and Barron is a crap shoot, he's everything from a Pionk clone (#5D offensive puck moving D) to AHL career level guy at this stage so he's just a roll of the dice, hard to see him as a truly balanced two way top 4 D at this stage, Beck is appears to be 3C potential but I don't see him as a true top 6 guy ever. A whole lot of spaghetti in this Habs offer, not much good value/quality.

Neither trade is what I would be interested in or looking at, but we also don't know who would want Elhers in a more 1 for 1 hockey trade. Of course some teams but so many factors its hard to say.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad