Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
BG/TSN have been saying this for 6 months almost. Surely there is some fact to DBC not wanting to stay in Ottawa.

I cannot see this being leaked as a reason to force him to sign. It must have been to ready the fanbase for the usual disappointment.
Yes, there hasn't been much info to indicate that Debrincat was wanting to extend and stay in Ottawa. I had wondered whether this could be a one year tenure way back, but I suppose others were not and were perhaps more optimistic.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
The bold, I don't think is accurate. Otherwise, I mostly agree
I'd have to search through the articles when the trade was announced but that was a common concern in all of the articles, the fact that he wasn't signing an extension. DBC's camp was very noncommittal at the time as well. Dorion acknowledged that the Sens only control his rights for two years.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I'd have to search through the articles when the trade was announced but that was a common concern in all of the articles, the fact that he wasn't signing an extension. DBC's camp was very noncommittal at the time as well. Dorion acknowledged that the Sens only control his rights for two years.
Or one year. Not sure if it can be said that Dorion controlled Debrincat's rights in the 2nd year. Seems like its a bit of a stretch.

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023
I have no idea whether or not he called his agent. I'm sure his agent didn't need Cat to tell him that Dorion's public comments were bad for his business.
Well there is a chance he thinks the agent is being low key greedy and not telling Cat about offers.
The way he tweeted no actual or official or whatever it was sounds like he didn’t pass on any offers to his client so now he is pointing out why that’s legally ok

Or not. it’s a guess about a strangely worded tweet that is out of the norm.
It’s summer what else is there to do?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Honestly just want this saga to end. I hope Debrincat isn’t traded until the sale is complete as it’s preventing Dorion from setting the franchise back going forward. Get a new GM in before training camp, move Debrincat for whatever the new GM can get, attack the waiver wire for cheap veterans, asses the team and coaching staff and put your stamp on the franchise between TDL and start of next season

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I’d try to get max jones from Anaheim. Could really fit our bottom 6 and can slide up to top 6 when needed.
Max jones and a prospect. Just get it over with.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Seriously. It's his right to take a 1-year deal and bet on himself, and I can't believe how many people are criticizing him for it. It's not like he's said he won't play here.

He certainly has that right. But at the same time, all these delay tactics didn't help matters. If Cat had been forthright at the end of the season, there could've been more time to get him on a team of his choosing, or best suited to give him the chance at maxing out his stats (and UFA payday). Now he might be stuck playing in Ottawa on the second line (and second powerplay) or be dealt as a sub-optimal Plan B player for some random team.

Not exactly ideal for him to run up the numbers this year and go for a payday. Also not optimal for the team to try and get decent value for him. And the way this is now hitting the press makes everyone look stupid.

I'm definitely not absolving Dorion here, either. He should've been closer to the pulse of what Cat and his camp were thinking before the trade was made. Also seems like he really didn't talk all that much to DJ beforehand to see how Cat would be used, either. Dude definitely needs to learn a helluva lot on the communication side of things.

Reactions: xVolchenkov

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The blame game is not a winner. It just furthers animosity .

Debrincat had a 9m last season in his deal expiring as an RFA with 1 year left for a reason. He prefers to play in the US for family reasons.
He is one year away from UFA with a rising cap. Its his right to bet on himself and test that if there isn't a deal he feels is within his reach or at least is willing to gamble he can get. No one is holding up a trade if he is not getting the terms he has set as a target as a UFA. This may be frustrating but if the partner isn't there for a trade with an extension.. Doion has to exhaust that , if he hasn't already and move on to a lesser return deal as a rental.

There is talk around him coming back for 1 season or less but with the blame game that option probably loses even more of its luster if there was any.

The find a tweet from a fan that agrees with your side of blame game challenge is on.

Last edited:
Reactions: inthewings

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
Debrincat probably wants to get dealt now as a rental. This way he helps himself by:
- setting his sights on UFA
- getting PP1 time somewhere so he can pad his stats before hitting UFA

Reactions: Flamingo

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Yes, my mistake was looking at his AAV.

I think a large majority of guys are looking for short term deals to get to the next 2 years of UFA. Bertuzzi’s agent flat out said that there were long term offers but felt this 1 year deal was the best they had money wise.

It’s definitely not as secure, but lots of guys are taking their time with signing long term deal.
I keep seeing people say this but as far as I can tell the only ones taking this approach are players with significant injury history, players who were recently bought out or older players not likely to receive long term contracts.

Sorokin: 8 years, $8.25AAV
Graves: 6 years, $4.5AAV
Jarry: 5 years, $5.375AAV
Compher: 5 years, $5.1AAV
Meier: 8 years, $8.8AAV
Dubois: 8 years, $8.5AAV
Bratt: 8 years, $7.875AAV

And tons of other long term contracts signed in the last 6 months. Teams are signing all kinds of players to term and big AAV. Why aren't any of these guys taking the 1 year to UFA cash in route? Why would Meier, for example, take 8 x $8.8M AAV if his QO was $10M? He could have put up another 40G season and got to UFA next year asking for $10M+, no?

Matthews is currently negotiating a longer term extension. Why doesn't he sign for 1 year and go straight to UFA? Why settle for what 1 team will give him when he could get offers from 20+ teams next year?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Debrincat probably wants to get dealt now as a rental. This way he helps himself by:

DBC was 11th in the league in PP TOI/game last year. More than Kucherov, Draisaitl, McDavid, Crosby, Kaprizov

He was 31st in pp goals . 39 in PP assists

He had a great opportunity here to rack up points on the PP

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
DBC was 11th in the league in PP TOI/game last year. More than Kucherov, Draisaitl, McDavid, Crosby, Kaprizov

He was 31st in pp goals . 39 in PP assists

He had a great opportunity here to rack up points on the PP

His shooting percentage was much lower last season than in his last two with Chicago, wasn't it?

If I were him, I'd still bet on myself returning to a 40-goal pace before inking his long-term contract.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Looks pretty good to me. Scroll to right of table.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
His shooting percentage was much lower last season than in his last two with Chicago, wasn't it?

If I were him, I'd still bet on myself returning to a 40-goal pace before inking his long-term contract.

What's interesting about ADB is that he had 261 shots in his season with the Senators, which is 2nd in his career to 270 he had in one season with Chicago.

He scored 41 that year on a 15.2%. This year, he had a 10.3%.

Usually when you're worried about a player's offensive output it's because his shot totals are going down.

He was still the primary shooting option on the top PP unit which obviously helped get those totals up when not playing alongside Batherson and Pinto.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I keep seeing people say this but as far as I can tell the only ones taking this approach are players with significant injury history, players who were recently bought out or older players not likely to receive long term contracts.

Sorokin: 8 years, $8.25AAV
Graves: 6 years, $4.5AAV
Jarry: 5 years, $5.375AAV
Compher: 5 years, $5.1AAV
Meier: 8 years, $8.8AAV
Dubois: 8 years, $8.5AAV
Bratt: 8 years, $7.875AAV

And tons of other long term contracts signed in the last 6 months. Teams are signing all kinds of players to term and big AAV. Why aren't any of these guys taking the 1 year to UFA cash in route? Why would Meier, for example, take 8 x $8.8M AAV if his QO was $10M? He could have put up another 40G season and got to UFA next year asking for $10M+, no?

Matthews is currently negotiating a longer term extension. Why doesn't he sign for 1 year and go straight to UFA? Why settle for what 1 team will give him when he could get offers from 20+ teams next year?
Ottawa is offering a bag to DBC as well, if he was playing in a location he wanted, he'd be signed. I can only assume all of Sorokin, Meier, Dubois and Bratt are happy in their locations as well, and happy to take the 70 mill contracts. If they were sitting in a place they didn't want to be, a deal likely isn't reached either.

TSN ranked the UFA class, their #1, 2, and 3 guys signed for a total of 4 years between them. Orlov was the #1 UFA this off-seasosn, took a 2 year deal. Bertuzzi, who was the #2 UFA this offseason on TSN, took a 1 year deal, and his agent said there were long-term offers available, but the 1 year deal made the most sense financially for his client. Zucker took a 1 year deal, undoubtedly had multiple 3ish year offers.

For some, short term makes a lot of sense. Guys like Dubois, Meier, Sorokin who have teams tossing them UFA money in a place they want to be already makes it pretty easy. Right now, DBC is sitting in a place he doesn't want to be, who are apparently offering a bag. He is a year from UFA, and unless something changes and a place he wants to be offers him what he would consider a fair contract, it's looking like he's viewing next year at UFA as a smart move, albiet risky

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

The opportunity to shoot at whatever % was there.

He should bet on himself. The point is that the grass for more opportunities won't necessarily be greener

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He is a year from UFA, and unless something changes and a place he wants to be offers him what he would consider a fair contract, it's looking like he's viewing next year at UFA as a smart move, albiet risky

When you have two 40 goal seasons under your belt and you're in your mid-20s, someone is going to throw some money and term at you eventually, even if his statistics repeat themselves here.

The old "just needs a change of venue" line will circulate around.

The only real risk is some kind of career-limiting injury.

Reactions: BondraTime

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Ottawa is offering a bag to DBC as well, if he was playing in a location he wanted, he'd be signed. I can only assume all of Sorokin, Meier, Dubois and Bratt are happy in their locations as well, and happy to take the 70 mill contracts. If they were sitting in a place they didn't want to be, a deal likely isn't reached either.

TSN ranked the UFA class, their #1, 2, and 3 guys signed for a total of 4 years between them. Orlov was the #1 UFA this off-seasosn, took a 2 year deal. Bertuzzi, who was the #2 UFA this offseason on TSN, took a 1 year deal, and his agent said there were long-term offers available, but the 1 year deal made the most sense financially for his client. Zucker took a 1 year deal, undoubtedly had multiple 3ish year offers.

For some, short term makes a lot of sense. Guys like Dubois, Meier, Sorokin who have teams tossing them UFA money in a place they want to be already makes it pretty easy. Right now, DBC is sitting in a place he doesn't want to be, who are apparently offering a bag. He is a year from UFA, and unless something changes and a place he wants to be offers him what he would consider a fair contract, it's looking like he's viewing next year at UFA as a smart move, albiet risky
Ottawa is obviously not offering enough or else Debrincat could sign with an agreement that a trade will be done by next July 1st.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Ottawa is obviously not offering enough or else Debrincat could sign with an agreement that a trade will be done by next July 1st.
That makes no sense for DBC, just sign your QO/Arb award and go to UFA without having to deal with a trade, or rely on a team actually trading you. Especially with a new GM in town very shortly.

Don't think there has ever, or will ever, be an 8 year deal signed contingent on the team trading you away a year later, to an unknown location.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad