Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
DeBrincat has missed like a dozen games in his entire career an they were during shortened Covid seasons (so who knows if it was injury or illness in that case). Of all the guys to bet on themselves I blame him the least. If he can stay healthy and his shooting percentage rebounds there will be a line of teams waiting to give him $55+ million.

I understand why Dorion took the swing on a mega talented goal scorer but if/when it doesn't work out it's certainly not the player's fault.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Ottawa is obviously not offering enough or else Debrincat could sign with an agreement that a trade will be done by next July 1st.
Sounds like his best offer and term was from Ottawa, I thought I read.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I suppose we'll have to wait until Debrincat is traded (if he's traded). Then we can discuss the leverage that Pierre had. Hope for the best obviously.
You were talking about control and now leverage; 2 different things. PD can deal him anywhere this year but the problem is the return. But no different from the Leafs trying to sign Nylander or Matthews with 1 year left on their deals. The player can decide to not sign and then the team is faced with a choice to either pay them a boatload of money or let them walk( Matthews). With Nylander you have those 2 options or try to find a trade partner outside his limited NTC. In all cases the player holds the power.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
You were talking about control and now leverage; 2 different things.
OK, if your focus is the word, then sure. My focus was the net result. Substitute the word to leverage then. I really only care about the result.

Last edited:

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
So tired of this same old carrying water routine from Garrioch. Looks bush league on the city, always drumming up undue enmity when a player exercises his rights that everyone knew he had. GM took a risk and it didn’t pay off, criticize that or stfu.

Really hope the Andlauer era ushers in a new media landscape here.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Ottawa is obviously not offering enough or else Debrincat could sign with an agreement that a trade will be done by next July 1st.
Or DBC signs the arb deal and gets to UFA next summer and makes even more money and has full control of where he ends up.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
DBC was 11th in the league in PP TOI/game last year. More than Kucherov, Draisaitl, McDavid, Crosby, Kaprizov

He was 31st in pp goals . 39 in PP assists

He had a great opportunity here to rack up points on the PP
The gap between 30th and 10th in pp pts is about 6 pts, DeBrincat did rack up pts on the PP, where he had issues was at 5v5. He was 35th in 5v5 toi and 129th in 5v5 pts (forwards only)

Are there better opportunities than what he got 5v5 here, playing with Pinto and a recovering Batherson, absolutely, heck this coming season should yeild a better opportunity if he sticks around.

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
This whole situation is super f***ed at this point. Just get rid of him. Low first or a couple 2nds, middling prospect, and most importantly, cap space to find a 5m 2lw and get the other holes in the lineup patched. Whatevs.

In my petty fandom, I hope cat has a repeat (or worse)season than last wherever he lands and struggles offensively/can’t cement a top line spot vs other options on the team. Then consequently finds himself with few suitors next year, forced to take a less than full term contract at a sub 8m aav.

At which point we will all post smug shit here all about how he shoulda signed and the greenness of Ottawas lush grass, and the likes will flow.

Reactions: Senscore

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Aren’t insiders now saying both sides just want to get this over with asap? I don’t even think ADB wants to be here next year anymore.
Well except for Steve Warne (the guy with the "source close to DeBrincat's family") who says he likes Ottawa just fine and would happily ride out another year here. He just likes the idea of being a UFA more.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Well except for Steve Warne (the guy with the "source close to DeBrincat's family") who says he likes Ottawa just fine and would happily ride out another year here. He just likes the idea of being a UFA more.
I’m sure he’d be fine, but if Ottawa was able to come up with a fair trade to Detroit or Nashville he’s probably signing right away without even thinking about UFA.

And arbitration brings the chance that he’d sign here long-term from about 2% to 0%.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
More drama. This is just unfortunate. Regardless of the role of the agent, I don't see how this isn't just another thing that reflects poorly on the organization. Hopefully it can be put to bed soon, just rip the bad aid off.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
More drama. This is just unfortunate. Regardless of the role of the agent, I don't see how this isn't just another thing that reflects poorly on the organization. Hopefully it can be put to bed soon, just rip the bad aid off.
If this is PD’s audition for our new owner, it is failing. So poorly handled, creating animosity by negotiating and throwing tar/feathers in the media. It’s so unprofessional, unless this really is BG going rogue (doubtful, but even then PD has made comments in media availabilities that suggest ADB’s camp is part of the holdup, which is disingenuous to the actual situation - ADB did nothing wrong and has not said any “wrong” things)

If we keep him for next year, and it looks like we are making the playoffs and don’t want to trade them away, can we not just trade his rights to a preferred destination before July 1st for *something*? I remember another team doing that this year.

Reactions: JackieDaytona

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If this is PD’s audition for our new owner, it is failing. So poorly handled, creating animosity by negotiating and throwing tar/feathers in the media. It’s so unprofessional, unless this really is BG going rogue (doubtful, but even then PD has made comments in media availabilities that suggest ADB’s camp is part of the holdup, which is disingenuous to the actual situation - ADB did nothing wrong and has not said any “wrong” things)

If we keep him for next year, and it looks like we are making the playoffs and don’t want to trade them away, can we not just trade his rights to a preferred destination before July 1st for *something*? I remember another team doing that this year.
May get a 3rd like the Devils did with Severson

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Even getting Joseph off the books doesn’t give us enough cap room to keep Debrincat for the year. Maybe a Murray buyout helps, but those are slim odds with a Joseph trade too.

It’s over, he’s not staying.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
That makes no sense for DBC, just sign your QO/Arb award and go to UFA without having to deal with a trade, or rely on a team actually trading you. Especially with a new GM in town very shortly.

Don't think there has ever, or will ever, be an 8 year deal signed contingent on the team trading you away a year later, to an unknown location.
I just doubt the dollars will be there for him next year.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We backed ourselves into a corner, all the drama is on Dorion imo.

If you aren't willing to trade him at a rental return, you need to leave room in the budget to keep him on. We haven't done that so now we're panicking that he isn't getting the offers he's willing to extend at and we won't be cap compliant.

Somebody is leaking to the media he wants Meier money (who could possibly benefit from that leak?) and the agent is justifiably upset that someone is being unprofessional and throwing his client under the bus.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Ya it's not a good look for Dorion and Co. imo. Garrioch is Garrioch. Nothing but a microphone willing to be unprofessional, but once again the org is involved in drama and using him to get it out there.

I thought this kind of thing was behind us and I don't see the need for any of this extra noise adding fuel to the fire. Just stfu and focus on moving him as a rental if need be. DeBrincat owes them nothing but playing out the one year.

Seems like the more of this stuff that happens, the more likely it is there's no path to bring him back. Not that I think that's wise anyways, but if keeping him really is on the table, you'd think they'd try to keep it cordial.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
We backed ourselves into a corner, all the drama is on Dorion imo.

If you aren't willing to trade him at a rental return, you need to leave room in the budget to keep him on. We haven't done that so now we're panicking that he isn't getting the offers he's willing to extend at and we won't be cap compliant.

Somebody is leaking to the media he wants Meier money (who could possibly benefit from that leak?) and the agent is justifiably upset that someone is being unprofessional and throwing his client under the bus.
Nah, it's normal for a team to put a player and agent on blast for not agreeing to contracts other teams are "supposedly" giving him. Also normal for an agent to come back and say those reports are completely full of shit, and the GM needs to get his head out of his ass and do his job.

"It's DBC's agent and DBC's fault for this trade not being done. They need to take what they're given, that's the only way we can make a trade. Dorion has done everything he can (aside from just making a trade and coming to the realization that he painted himself into a corner, seeing there is no clauses stopping them). Don't care if it doesn't work for them, it's their fault this is being drawn out"

"Well, we had a deal in place with the Islanders, DBC foiled that, for SOME unknown reason, he needs to accept their deal, because it's really getting in the way of what I want to do."

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
So how about a 2 year deal with max signing bonus year 1 and full NMC year 2.

Year 1 - 8M SB + 1M base
Year 2 - 7M.

The real money comes into the system in 2 years.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013

Technically the sens can still do a sign and trade by giving him the 8 year deal and getting an asset back. However it is very unlikely the sens have Debrincat play this season unless they are getting Joseph off the books without taking money back.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
So how about a 2 year deal with max signing bonus year 1 and full NMC year 2.

Year 1 - 8M SB + 1M base
Year 2 - 7M.

The real money comes into the system in 2 years.
That would be a fine deal, for both he and the team.

Unfortunately, that boat has undoubtedly sailed with the roster, and shitshow going on between both parties

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad