Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
My issue with DBC is all year he was on the fence"likes the city but wants to see what happens with the sale" etc. He knew from day 1 his intensions so why put the organization through that rollercoaster.

Even after the season was done it was a few months before we finally heard his decisions, why wait so long and force the organization to rush to move you.

Also a lot of reports are saying no one is offering the same term and $$ we are maybe it wont be a bad play to keep him one year and let him test UFA. let the kid realize he isnt as valuable as he sees himself.
They literally dont have the cap space. Thats the crazy part about all of this. There was absolutely no plan. Best suggestion I have seen was from @GCK a two year deal around 7.5 million that gets him to UFA when the caps up and there are more suitors. Allows the sens to sell him on being here/find a better trade partner. Given how sens management has now negotiated through the media and the way Jackson has fired back those bridges seem to be burned at this point unfortunately.

What are you smoking?

Of course he was asked if he was interested in playing in Ottawa.

He most likely said “going to try it”
I mean we dont know any of this either way. His actions are suggesting he never wanted to be here. But thats not on him. I think if anyone looked at this objectively they would see the original contract he signed and understood he always structured his original deal to get to UFA. Which is what he is doing. No one should be upset at him. Maybe look at the sens management and ask why on earth you would trade that type of draft capital with A the uncertainty of him playing here long term. B the current cap situation for this organization. Neither made any sense when there was any critical planning or thinking done.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Marek apparently said Ducks are out and it’s looking like Islanders or Wings. That probably takes us out of the running for any UFA’s if it’s the Islanders unless they find a 3rd team to dump salary.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Marek apparently said Ducks are out and it’s looking like Islanders or Wings. That probably takes us out of the running for any UFA’s if it’s the Islanders unless they find a 3rd team to dump salary.
Gets better and better eh

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I don't see how the Isles can afford DeBrincat, unless he's willing to sign for even less than 7.65M.

They have about 1M in cap space with a 13F/7D/2G roster. Haven't signed Wahlstrom yet either.

If they sub out Pageau and his 5M deal they'll be over the cap unless DeBrincat signs for 6M.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think Detroit is gonna end up with him
Was always the most likely.

The list he gave always led to Detroit. They were the only realistic team.

If it’s between Det and NYI, and it’s up to DBC to sign to make it done, I wonder who he’ll sign with. The team he was always good with, or a team out of left field.

If he’s signing, he’ll take his own lumps with a worse contract than he thought he’d get.

To be fair, I don’t think Marek knows a thing.

Reactions: Sens Vader

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I don't see how the Isles can afford DeBrincat, unless he's willing to sign for even less than 7.65M.

They have about 1M in cap space with a 13F/7D/2G roster. Haven't signed Wahlstrom yet either.

If they sub out Pageau and his 5M deal they'll be over the cap unless DeBrincat signs for 6M.
Lou hates young developing guys so don't think he'll hesitate to move Wahlstrom to us as the centre piece along with one of Palmieri or Pageau.

Could also try to move Pelech or Pulock in a 'hockey' trade for someone who's even older considering how much Lou loves his vets.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Lou hates young developing guys so don't think he'll hesitate to move Wahlstrom to us as the centre piece along with one of Palmieri or Pageau.

Could also try to move Pelech or Pulock in a 'hockey' trade for someone who's even older considering how much Lou loves his vets.
Wahlstrom is a future waiver pickup, he’s not a Center anything.

• Haha
Reactions: Puikiou

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
So how does Dorion use his leverage here? Does he tell Yzerman to uo his offer or he’s shipping him off outside the divison as a rental for cheap?

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
Was always the most likely.

The list he gave always led to Detroit. They were the only realistic team.

If it’s between Det and NYI, and it’s up to DBC to sign to make it done, I wonder who he’ll sign with. The team he was always good with, or a team out of left field.

If he’s signing, he’ll take his own lumps with a worse contract than he thought he’d get.

To be fair, I don’t think Marek knows a thing.
Yeah Friedman did mention something similar though, that Detroit was close - then they were out, now they are back in.

Seems like Yzerman may be the hardest to negotiate a contract with but DBC likely has the highest interest in signing there.

Just make the trade and move on

Reactions: DrEasy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
So how does Dorion use his leverage here? Does he tell Yzerman to uo his offer or he’s shipping him off outside the divison as a rental for cheap?
Doesn’t have leverage if DBC doesn’t agree he’d sign in both places. Both teams may be looking at him, doesn’t mean he’d sign.

If DBC knows there are two teams, 1 of them a team he wants to go to, hard to imagine a situation he doesn’t want to sign with a preferred destination. Unless the Isles are offering a substantially better contract, it may as well be 1 team.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Yeah Friedman did mention something similar though, that Detroit was close - then they were out, now they are back in.

Seems like Yzerman may be the hardest to negotiate a contract with but DBC likely has the highest interest in signing there.

Just make the trade and move on

Sens aren’t in a good negoatitong position. The GM has admitted the pmayer doesn’t want to be here, ADB is 5’7” and wants $9 million a season, he’s never played a playoff game, he didn’t have a good season, the GM totally overpaid for him, he’s not a line driver he just scored goals, and he’s chasing money.

Bad trade will be followed by a bad trade.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Sens aren’t in a good negoatitong position. The GM has admitted the pmayer doesn’t want to be here, ADB is 5’7” and wants $9 million a season, he’s never played a playoff game, he didn’t have a good season, the GM totally overpaid for him, he’s not a line driver he just scored goals, and he’s chasing money.

DeBrincat played 9 playoff games for the Hawks in 2019-2020, putting up 2 goals and 4 assists for 6 points.

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016

Bad trade will be followed by a bad trade.

Yeah it doesn’t look good, but hey if there are 2-3 teams really interested that does help

We’re not gonna win a trade, but hope to recoup some assets and move on

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Yzerman has to weigh making Ottawa improved (what assets is he giving up) vs. getting a legitimate first line winger and sniper and his own teams improvement. He's being strategic; but giving him up and letting NYI get him makes it harder to make the playoffs as well. That's his leverage. Can both teams (Det/Ott) improve enough to both make the playoffs and knock off a golden oldie is the question? That's the pitch.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I did the math and NYI dosn't work at all unless a 3rd team gets involved. Ottawa has to either dump Joseph or Forsberg, or NYI has to dump someone making 2.000+

Why isn't Seattle in on this?
They have the cap space to take on DeBrincat and send us Burakovsky and futures for example.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
That’s literally what his contract was made for. Get to UFA, get paid. Why would he care what Ottawa traded or got back from him, that’s what Dorion is in charge of, DBC quite literally has zero care, or involvement in that.

Dorion can trade DBC at any point, without any involvement of DBC. Dorion wants to trade him with a contract, DBC is under no obligation to sign a contract with a team of Dorion’s choosing, at a contract he doesn’t want.
Yep, Senators/Dorion could trade him to Winnipeg (or whatever team) if they want. Debrincat isn't a free agent, so nothing he could do about it. That's not good for Dorion who knows he'll get a better return if Debrincat has an extension. But, you'd hope your GM would think about this before he trades for a player like this.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

The 3rd team can get involved and get a draft pick for retaining salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad